PDA

View Full Version : What if the Matrix ran on Windows

Bren
19th November 2008, 19:51
I liked this... (http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2008/11/10/the-matrix-runs-on-windows/)

Thats why I run Linux :woohoo:

PrincessBandit
19th November 2008, 20:20
hahaha, that was sooooooooo funny. I laughed that they used "xp" as their example - just think how much worse it would have been using vista!!!:rofl:

98tls
19th November 2008, 20:28
Holy flashback.

The Lone Rider
19th November 2008, 22:26
I couldn't even get it to run without loading it in IE instead of FF

Gremlin
20th November 2008, 01:08
just think how much worse it would have been using vista!!!:rofl:
well... you wouldn't have been able to scroll blue/red screens... you should see this http://blip.tv/file/340692/

hmm which version? 3 is buggy, loaded in my 2 fine... bye bye to 2 support in december :weep:

scracha
20th November 2008, 04:52
Oh look at me....I can put an Ubuntu disk in my drive. I'm now a linux geek.

I'll get my coat

shutdown -r

CookMySock
20th November 2008, 06:08
Oh look at me....I can put an Ubuntu disk in my drive. I'm now a linux geek.Its that simple.. No more viruses, licensing blues, pirated software, expiring demo versions, expired licenses, vendors withdrawing support, just the big easy "it works every day."

Just download an Ubuntu image (700MB) from <a href="http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download">here</a>, burn it to a CD and boot it and watch the magic.

Steve

sinfull
20th November 2008, 06:15

Jesus thats scary ! Have you defraged neil ?

Forest
20th November 2008, 19:30
Its that simple.. No more viruses, licensing blues, pirated software, expiring demo versions, expired licenses, vendors withdrawing support, just the big easy "it works every day."

Cool. So you went out and got a mac?

CookMySock
20th November 2008, 20:56
Cool. So you went out and got a mac?Heh, nice comeback. Nah macs are pricey and the software isn't free. Any old obsolete P4 shitbox makes a great Ubuntu desktop. Cost = nothing to minimal. Most expensive parts = nvidia card and a fat chunk of RAM.

Steve

Usarka
20th November 2008, 21:53
Its that simple.. No more viruses, licensing blues, pirated software, expiring demo versions, expired licenses, vendors withdrawing support, just the big easy "it works every day."

Just download an Ubuntu image (700MB) from <a href="http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download">here</a>, burn it to a CD and boot it and watch the magic.

Steve

Yep I'm sure most non-geeks find it simple as chips.

scracha
21st November 2008, 08:36
Its that simple..
No more viruses,

mmm..kay

licensing blues, etc etc

Not everything running on linux is free and open source DB..... :-)

Just download an Ubuntu image (700MB) from <a

Already got a copy running in vmware on Win XP. When I found out my acronis disk images would boot straight into Vmware then it was a no brainer.
Customer: "Is my backup running properly"
Moi: "Yes, here let me demonstrate your PC running in this little window on my laptop.

When I get my finger out my arse I'm gonna play with getting vmware running from Suse on an external drive. That way I'll have a truly portable Windoze operating system.

My main issue with Linux is just the lack of software for it.

NighthawkNZ
21st November 2008, 09:15

that's a load of crap too... while yes there are not as many viruses for linux there are viruses and have seen a linux machine been taken out by one (as wel as a Mac) and Linux is a lot harder to recover from when it does crash... Linux and Mac are just as vulnerable, the viruses writers only what there claim to fame... therefore they hit the most common system which is Windoz... If Mac was more common than the PC there you will find that there would be more viruses written for the Mac and or Linux

just because it is open source and on a gpl license doesn't mean it will be free there is also commercial software for linux. And not everything on Linux is free or open source. Also there are heaps of Freeware equivalants for the PC Windows, that can do most things, from Graphics, Office Suites, Video, Audio... just as many for the Windows as there is for Linux... Many are ported to all the main OS's

CookMySock
21st November 2008, 10:09
that's a load of crap too... while yes there are not as many viruses for linux there are viruses and have seen a linux machine been taken out by one (as wel as a Mac) and Linux is a lot harder to recover from when it does crash... Linux and Mac are just as vulnerable, the viruses writers only what there claim to fame... therefore they hit the most common system which is Windoz... If Mac was more common than the PC there you will find that there would be more viruses written for the Mac and or LinuxTheres no need to be so blunt about it - it is just discussion. Some of what you are saying is true, but not in the userspace context being suggested in this thread. For the technical among us who are interested in such topics, read on, or else read with the delete key.

Please do not take my post as persuasion - I don't care what brand of cigarettes you smoke, or what oil you use in your bike, and I don't care what operating system you run on your PC either.

The only attacks I have seen run against a Linux system have been ssh and apache. I have had two machines compromised with apache http attacks, but this is server-space, not user-space. It is exceedingly unlikely that a fully-updated user system will be compromised - I have not seen anything get close. For those who run server systems, yes they will have to update weekly or face getting eaten. I have not had a successful server attack for five years, and uptimes are only shortened to four months by kernel upgrades. I have never had anything remotely threaten my userspace.

Mate, you and I both know if your win box gets heavily compromised you are up shit creek. Your server config is lost, your O/S is lost, and if you are really unlucky your data is gone too. Its fine to just run some free application off the net to "remove" all the damage, but there are lots and lots of times when that is just not going to cut it, and you are faced with a reinstall. Sure, a heavily compromised Linux system should be reinstalled, just to be sure, but the Linux box will boot and run, where it is unlikely a heavily chewed winbox will.

just because it is open source and on a gpl license doesn't mean it will be free there is also commercial software for linux. And not everything on Linux is free or open source. Yes it does. If you want to pay for someones' binary installer, then that is your choice, but if you are unhappy with this, and you have time to kill, then build it yourself from source. If you want to purchase some commercial software for Linux, then that is your choice also. The keyword here is choice. Again from the users' perspective, there is a huge catalogue of Linux software to look through, and they may simply select what they want from the list, click "install it" and watch the magic - no cost, and no catches.. That is several orders of magnitude better an experience than non-GPL operating systems of any type.

Also there are heaps of Freeware equivalants for the PC Windows, that can do most things, from Graphics, Office Suites, Video, Audio... just as many for the Windows as there is for Linux... Many are ported to all the main OS'sYes. Ported from Linux. Did you notice how refreshing it is to not be bothered with nagware or stupid restrictions? That is a product of the GPL.

I have Limewire on this (Linux) PC and it has nagware.. It's not GPL.. Its rather irritating, since I am used to software doing what I tell it to do.

I purchased (commercial / non-GPL) X-Plane for Linux. It requires the DVD be inserted or it runs in demo mode - not very happy about it, but oh well.

Again, run any tyres on your bike you choose, drink any brand of milk you like, and run any O/S on your PC.. it doesn't affect me. Its just discussion. But yes I like Linux. ;)

Steve