PDA

View Full Version : Biker paints own parking space!

Bob
21st November 2008, 01:20
An irate biker has taken things into his own hands over the lack of parking for bikes in his village… and created his own bay!

The unnamed biker – who had made several requests to West Malling parish council for more access and space for bikes – vented his frustration after his request failed, by buying a tin of white emulsion paint and marking out a motorcycle bay between two car parking spaces.

A spokesman for Kent County Council’s highways department said “The resident should have contacted us instead of taking it upon himself to create a bay – which is of course illegal. If he contacted West Malling parish council he was contacting the wrong people and should call us."

cynna
21st November 2008, 02:12
just need to find the right person to complain to - i found one at the CCC that fast tracked a bike park here in christchurch when the one i used to use was taken away as a car park

Bob
21st November 2008, 08:04
When I found this item, it reminded me of a fellow biker, who was very fed up with the potholes in his road - and the lack of action from his local council to sort things out.

He noticed that surveyors had been working to mark up road defects (and if memory serves correctly, it was in the next postal district... so no guarantee they would come near his road). So he went and got a pot of paint in the correct shade of yellow, went and marked up some other road defects in the "right" district - and made sure the roads led to his road... so painted up his own road as well.

Like laying bait for a trap - and it worked. His road had their potholes sorted - and a few other roads got theirs done too, well ahead of schedule!

vifferman
21st November 2008, 08:15
I've been very tempted to paint my own bike park. It's OK where I work now (there's multitudinous prax at the moment), but there was nowhere suitable at my last office, so I used to prak on some "No Praking" lines.
At my last job, I had to get board approval to use a small "No Praking" triangle in the basement next to the door, but by the time I'd left, they'd made a whole bike prak for about 6 bikes, in the gargre within the garge (literally - there was a gargre in the basement with card-swip security, and within that, there was like a four-car gargre complete with tilta-doors, with a space at the side that was bikes only. :niceone:

portokiwi
21st November 2008, 09:10
I think its a great idea lol
I meen if the wardens say you must only park one bike in a car park spot people get pissed with bikers. if you put 2 or 3 in one park good chance you will get a ticket.
They should give more spaces to bikes or say we can share one park.

Swoop
23rd November 2008, 11:01
It is VERY easily done!

A simple stencil cut out of thin plywood, a paintbrush and the "correct" paint.

:blip:

Remember: It is easier to get forgiveness than permission...

quickbuck
24th November 2008, 18:17
This reminds me of a couple of mates at "Tech" who used to keep a couple of big cones in the boot of their cage. Place them in their favourite park at night, and then come in the next morning and put their car in the park...

Works well... Nobody challenges the cones.

As for motorcycling parks, i must say Palmerston North has plenty really.... It is even free for bikes to park in the front of the Main parking building.
All of Palmy CBD is within walking distance from there.

Pedrostt500
24th November 2008, 18:45
:2thumbsupI think Bikers should have the right to carry either C4 or Symtex plastic exsplosives, if we see a cage in a parking spot we might like to park our bike in we can Blow up the Cage and right fully take the park.

quickbuck
24th November 2008, 18:51
:2thumbsupI think Bikers should have the right to carry either C4 or Symtex plastic exsplosives, if we see a cage in a parking spot we might like to park our bike in we can Blow up the Cage and right fully take the park.

That will quickly sort out the motorway congestion problem too..... You could be onto a winner there.

sunhuntin
25th November 2008, 11:57
This reminds me of a couple of mates at "Tech" who used to keep a couple of big cones in the boot of their cage. Place them in their favourite park at night, and then come in the next morning and put their car in the park...

Works well... Nobody challenges the cones.

As for motorcycling parks, i must say Palmerston North has plenty really.... It is even free for bikes to park in the front of the Main parking building.
All of Palmy CBD is within walking distance from there.

yeh, i love palmys bike parks. i normally park in the long one opposite the subway down by the mall where kmart is.

have you noticed outside the warehouse some used a rattle can and sprayed m/c in one of the parks on the road? and the funny thing is, it doesnt even look official, but im yet to see a car parked in it.

levin needs more parks. fugging sucks! i spent 20 mins looking for one a few weeks back, only to spot it down some pissy side street as i was leaving town.

Rhubarb
25th November 2008, 12:08
A friend received a parking ticket in the mail for his bike parked in a full size space (there were no motorbike parks nearby). Admitedly the meter had expired but where on a bike are you supposed to display the ticket without it blowing away, getting wet or nicked?
Or, are we supposed to keep the ticket in our pocket and then write in if we get a fine in the mail?

JMemonic
25th November 2008, 13:25
A friend received a parking ticket in the mail for his bike parked in a full size space (there were no motorbike parks nearby). Admitedly the meter had expired but where on a bike are you supposed to display the ticket without it blowing away, getting wet or nicked?
Or, are we supposed to keep the ticket in our pocket and then write in if we get a fine in the mail?

There has been numerous threads on this basically in Dunners don't part a bike in a car park the local meter wardens will swoop on it from a mile off. Some councils are understanding here in Christchurch I spoke to the local council guys and they understood the situation and are actually keeping an eye on things fuly aware that there are more bikes and scooters on the roads now thus parking is becoming a premium, they also stated that they are keeping an eye on motorcycle shops who park bikes in the parks outside the shops and if it becomes a problem they will act. I guess the thing is to prove to them that the parks usage is increasing and there is a need for more spaces.

vtec
25th November 2008, 13:32
Here in Melbourne, you can park motorcycles and bicycles on the footpath as long as they arent' obstructing the flow of pedestrians. Seems simple really.

Dodgyiti
25th November 2008, 14:33
It is VERY easily done!

A simple stencil cut out of thin plywood, a paintbrush and the "correct" paint.

Plywood?
What fancy pants linemarking crowd do you use?
Paintbrush?
So many questions.

Swoop
25th November 2008, 15:26
Plywood?
Or thinline MDF will suffice.
It has to look "correct" ya' know...:blip:

quickbuck
25th November 2008, 20:02
Here in Melbourne, you can park motorcycles and bicycles on the footpath as long as they arent' obstructing the flow of pedestrians. Seems simple really.

Yep, I've noticed that... Makes the walk through the city really interesting seeing all the bikes on show.
For those that haven't been, Melbourne is a fantastic city and the layout was future proofed years ago, and the foot paths are wider than some of our roads! Generally heaps of room to park a bike on the footpath.
To be fair, wider than some of the streets in Melbourne too... But they do have the decency to name them "Little". eg Little Collins, and Little Bourke that run parallel to the big streets of the same name...

I love the place.

my_r32
10th December 2008, 08:39
There has been numerous threads on this basically in Dunners don't part a bike in a car park the local meter wardens will swoop on it from a mile off.
If you care to ring the DCC, they will tell you that motorbikes can park in pay and displays for free, with no time limit. So any ticket you receive, contest it, and you shouldn't need to pay :)

JMemonic
10th December 2008, 09:54
If you care to ring the DCC, they will tell you that motorbikes can park in pay and displays for free, with no time limit. So any ticket you receive, contest it, and you shouldn't need to pay :)

Nice work on that, my personal experience of the meter attendants is a few years old, but there were thread about them being bike unfriendly, might get the chance to try that out next year.

The Lone Rider
10th December 2008, 10:30
What annoys me is when cars park in bike spaces.

At The Hub hornby there is parking out back, but cars are frequently in that space.

Out front.. well once I parked at a bicycle stand and one of the parking wanks gave a ticket which I later had canceled by the mall manager.

In discussion with the manager I was told bike parking is those "half" car park spaces where they put trolley returns. Ie... only enough space for one of those pit bikes - NOT something like the size I have.

There is also a space in a corner of the parking lot which cars really really have to squeeze into. Over this xmas rush.. I've seen fucking 4wd soccer mum cars parked there as every space is full on the ground level and people seem to fucking lazy to use the huge amount of parking that is upstairs.