PDA

View Full Version : What's this I hear?

yungatart
21st November 2008, 07:12
Apparently our wonderful WRB system is working well again...not!

A truck has ploughed through the barrier and taken out a car in the Takanini area.
When will our roading authority (can never remember their name as it changes so often) wake up and smell the roses?

WRB is NOT a safety barrier, it is an illusion of one.

Mom
21st November 2008, 07:15
Oh no! Surely not, a truck has not been stopped by a WRB? It cant be true!

Yep, these things are the best median dividers around...NOT!

Mom
21st November 2008, 07:16
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10544254

Trumpess
21st November 2008, 07:17
ummm ... whats a WRB??

Mom
21st November 2008, 07:18
ummm ... whats a WRB??

Wire Rope Barrier

have a look at

www.cheesecutter.co.nz

unrealone
21st November 2008, 07:18
ummm ... whats a WRB??

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss...

Trumpess
21st November 2008, 07:19
Ohhhh ... thank you!

Trumpess
21st November 2008, 07:21
I'm not sure if you're taking the piss...

Nah ... not taking the piss. I haven't seen any of these barriers down here in ChCh.
And abbreviations get me kafuffled.
Sorry.

MSTRS
21st November 2008, 07:57

These things are aka WRSB. (....safety...)
And often referred to as WRuSB. Which is much more accurate.

slimjim
21st November 2008, 08:39
ummm ... whats a WRB??

..Ooops....:calm:

Thingees that are Hopefully to Stop bigger Vehicles.....But not 52 tonnes of weight..;)

rat biker 08
21st November 2008, 08:45
WE got a lot on the kapati coast and thay are not SAFE ... :2guns:When will the dicks heed the call to stop putting them up.

yungatart
21st November 2008, 15:12
WE got a lot on the kapati coast and thay are not SAFE ... :2guns:When will the dicks heed the call to stop putting them up.

As long as we only bitch about these things to each other, nothing will change.
We need to get out there and get Mr Joe Public on our side, we need to keep lobbying our MP's (new blood to tackle there), we need to keep making noises...loudly!
Oh, and we need to organise more protest rides and be more vocal. A LOT MORE VOCAL!!

blossomsowner
21st November 2008, 19:34
the truck sure made a mess

not to mention the traffic problems caused.............

lucky the barrier thingy was there eh or it could have been serious

yungatart
22nd November 2008, 07:45

You are taking the piss, aren't you?

A person minding his own business, legitimately driving in his lane is now in a serious condition in hospital with life threatening injuries because NZTA (or whatever they are currently called), in its infinite wisdom, using shonky practices, installed a "safety" barrier that is not only not designed for use on roads like that, but is banned in several countries because of the damage caused when one fails...all for the sake of a few dollars saved up front!

I'm sure the guy who is fighting for his life agrees with you...

NZsarge
22nd November 2008, 08:02
Seems everytime I head Wellington way I see a section of it's been mown down and in need of repair, they might be cheaper to put up but there is certainly on going cost involved. They should look for the best solution not the cheapest one anyway.

NZsarge
22nd November 2008, 08:06

If it had been a standard concrete barrier i'd hazard a guess the the person in hospital would have been home in bed that night.

MSTRS
22nd November 2008, 08:13
You are taking the piss, aren't you?

I'd say so...

They should look for the best solution not the cheapest one anyway.

Yes. How is it that we can see that, but not Transit?

Mom
22nd November 2008, 08:16
I'd say so...

Transit are basing the decision to install these things purely on budget constraints, they have $x to spend in a financial year, they want the best bang for buck I guess. No consideration is apparently given to the ongoing maintenance costs, that is a different expenditure item in the budget.

NZsarge
22nd November 2008, 08:26
Transit are basing the decision to install these things purely on budget constraints, they have $x to spend in a financial year, they want the best bang for buck I guess. No consideration is apparently given to the ongoing maintenance costs, that is a different expenditure item in the budget.

Hmm, you'd think it would be a case of money spent wisely now would be case of money saved later and lookey lookey, it's a better safer option too, fookin' budgets suck!
Stretch the budget for a couple of years and save in maintainance down the road, simplistic solution perhaps but logical I think.

Eng_dave
22nd November 2008, 09:10
Just signed my name to the Petition, Fucking death traps in the disguise of road saftey. Don't smoke, play with a nuclear waste instead its better for you.:blink::gob:

Slyer
22nd November 2008, 09:13
Hey at least they slowed the truck down a bit.. :bleh:

WelshWizard
23rd November 2008, 11:51
Seems everytime I head Wellington way I see a section of it's been mown down and in need of repair, they might be cheaper to put up but there is certainly on going cost involved. They should look for the best solution not the cheapest one anyway.

The way they are putting them up, it won't be long before they don't have enough money to maintain them, so they will end up spending their installation budget just to keep the one's they have going, Sorry just dreaming, they will just increase taxes or invoke road tolls so they can keep what they have and install more.

sunhuntin
24th November 2008, 09:38
I'd say so...

cos transit is spending our money, not their own.

i just love the new-ish stretch down wellyway just before the coastal highway [the bit of road they realigned not so long ago] goes for feckin miles and not a single reflector on it anywhere! not a one! they put that sucker up while i was down south last november. had i come back in the dark, i wouldnt have known it was there. damn dangerous and stupid to boot. main thing i hate is how it turns headlights from opposing traffic into strobe lights. very distracting during the day... could be a killer at night.

and yeh, the stretches down there are always being repaired. theres about 10 different shades of 'post grey' now. theres two different sections of it between wanganui and turakina. one tiny section has been hit and repaired since they installed in. and i bet whoever hit was drunk or stoned, as its such and easy corner.

unrealone
25th November 2008, 14:41
Nah ... not taking the piss. I haven't seen any of these barriers down here in ChCh.
Sorry.

:doh:Fair enough

JMemonic
25th November 2008, 15:57
Sorry.

Left hand side as you head up tunnel road to Lyttelton, and that was a waste of money.

MSTRS
25th November 2008, 16:04
Left hand side as you head up tunnel road to Lyttelton, and that was a waste of money.

So what are they 'protecting'?

JMemonic
25th November 2008, 17:39
So what are they 'protecting'?

Ahh now that is the question I was wondering, there used to be a slight sloped grass bank with a load of room between the road and the rear of some houses back yards, as far as I can tell there was little chance of anything actually hitting a house, to install the wrb they actually had to build up the bank to make a flat stable surface suitable to install it.

Oh and asking around no one recalls any events that could have called for the need for this.

Mom
25th November 2008, 17:50
Ahh now that is the question I was wondering, there used to be a slight sloped grass bank with a load of room between the road and the rear of some houses back yards, as far as I can tell there was little chance of anything actually hitting a house, to install the wrb they actually had to build up the bank to make a flat stable surface suitable to install it.

Oh and asking around no one recalls any events that could have called for the need for this.

Ah Haaaaaaaa, yep the trusty protect something that might never happen UNSafety Barrier, there are plenty of them around the place :yes:

thehovel
25th November 2008, 18:09
Mr Plod wasn't that pleased when (in my quiet way) asked "show me your median barrier" as I drove past in the works truck. The heads all spun around and glared at me. The truck was imbeded into the bush, I could only see the trailer completly off the road. On the return trip I could see that the thing that stoped it was a bank and a large tree. Question: not a mention on the news. Is this censorship???! We know that these wire barriers are useless (they don't stop trucks,4X4s or drop nosed cars )Are our tax dollars being wasted not to mention your lives put at risk. The news papers and TV are not interested in putting a balanced view it has to bleed to lead and we bleed well. Rant over Richard

jafar
5th December 2008, 08:09
Interesting that they had the barrier fixed & fully operational within hours of the crash too. :whistle:
If it had been a concrete barrier would the truck have stayed on the southbound lane & had a less tragic accident or would it have mowed through that too?

Pixie
5th December 2008, 08:55
Interesting that they had the barrier fixed & fully operational within hours of the crash too. :whistle:
If it had been a concrete barrier would the truck have stayed on the southbound lane & had a less tragic accident or would it have mowed through that too?

The profiles of concrete barriers are designed to turn the vehicle's steering so that it is deflected back onto it's original path.

WRBs can actually do the opposite and snag a truck's right front wheel and steer it into oncoming traffic.

This is well documented

sunhuntin
5th December 2008, 11:45
dont cars have to hit on a certain angle to get the full "safety" out of them? i think it was parallel?

MSTRS
5th December 2008, 11:48
dont cars have to hit on a certain angle to get the full "safety" out of them? i think it was parallel?

Oh they are absolutely safe for anyone who runs parallel to them....

gixxer-king
3rd January 2009, 15:23
that it Ive had enough. has anyone actually seriously got a small old wreck that we can drive down the middle of these stupid bike dividers? if we keep mowing the damn things down surely if only out of spite they will have to put something better in?

FJRider
3rd January 2009, 15:40
that it Ive had enough. has anyone actually seriously got a small old wreck that we can drive down the middle of these stupid bike dividers? if we keep mowing the damn things down surely if only out of spite they will have to put something better in?

You try it in your car... for the sake of all NZ bikers....

wbks
3rd January 2009, 15:44
that it Ive had enough. has anyone actually seriously got a small old wreck that we can drive down the middle of these stupid bike dividers? if we keep mowing the damn things down surely if only out of spite they will have to put something better in?Sounds like fun. Got any commodores or toranas I can have a go at it with?

Max Preload
3rd January 2009, 19:48
Perhaps an XF 'coon... :shifty:

gixxer-king
4th January 2009, 10:36
FJ what wriggled up your bum? mate just having a laugh, no need to wish death upon fellow members over it.

but anyway not a coon jesus! we want the driver to survive. those wrb's are designed to totally smash a coon and render it more useless then it was new. i was thinking more an old starlet or such, of course bonus points if anyone can get their hands on a fulton hogan truck!

Max Preload
4th January 2009, 12:54
FJ what wriggled up your bum? mate just having a laugh, no need to wish death upon fellow members over it.

but anyway not a coon jesus! we want the driver to survive. those wrb's are designed to totally smash a coon and render it more useless then it was new. i was thinking more an old starlet or such, of course bonus points if anyone can get their hands on a fulton hogan truck!

It's an XFR though...