PDA

View Full Version : Bandit xspurts to the white room please.

tri boy
22nd November 2008, 15:00
Dag nab it:doh: hate having to ask for help, (ego etc).
Kannys 98/99 Bandit has decided to flumux me with an electrical/ign fault.:crazy:
Tested and retested switches, wiring pulsar coil, power in, out,around and through all the right hoops.
Still giving me the shits. No spark. Tryed a good CDI, coils fine blah, blah, blah.
Sidestand switch/relay,clutch switch, yep, yep, yep.

Now, I have read that the Bandit ign switches have a 100ohm resistor inside them to prevent "hot wire" theft. And also the switch is quite worn, but I made up bypass leads and tried that, (not with a resister though).
Any light on this ign fault would be appreciated, coz if Bandit no go, me get no jiggy:no:

SARGE
22nd November 2008, 15:12
Dag nab it:doh: hate having to ask for help, (ego etc).
Kannys 98/99 Bandit has decided to flumux me with an electrical/ign fault.:crazy:
Tested and retested switches, wiring pulsar coil, power in, out,around and through all the right hoops.
Still giving me the shits. No spark. Tryed a good CDI, coils fine blah, blah, blah.
Sidestand switch/relay,clutch switch, yep, yep, yep.

Now, I have read that the Bandit ign switches have a 100ohm resistor inside them to prevent "hot wire" theft. And also the switch is quite worn, but I made up bypass leads and tried that, (not with a resister though).
Any light on this ign fault would be appreciated, coz if Bandit no go, me get no jiggy:no:

im not totally familiar with the CDI unit on that..you know if its got a diagnostic hookup?

tri boy
22nd November 2008, 15:36
Only info on testing the CDI i can find, is there is a "special Suzi CDI tester box".
I havn't located one in the Waikato, and to be honest i'm suspicious of such devises. (yep, ya CDI is foorked, give us $700 for a new one) TUI

Apparently these Suzi ign switches carry resisters through quite a few models. SV, Gixxers, even some DR650's with six pin plugs.
I'll get serious on it on Monday.
Thanks for the input.;)

SARGE
22nd November 2008, 15:40
Only info on testing the CDI i can find, is there is a "special Suzi CDI tester box".
I havn't located one in the Waikato, and to be honest i'm suspicious of such devises. (yep, ya CDI is foorked, give us $700 for a new one) TUI

Apparently these Suzi ign switches carry resisters through quite a few models. SV, Gixxers, even some DR650's with six pin plugs.
I'll get serious on it on Monday.
Thanks for the input.;)

if it has an OBDII port.. any bike shop with a Texa scanner or a Suzy box can plug into it for about $75...

Pixie
23rd November 2008, 08:36
If the starter doesn't operate:

I'll bet you haven't checked the indictor flasher relay.

The various starter lockouts (sidestand etc.) operate through a relay in the

flasher unit. In the tail cowl.

tri boy
23rd November 2008, 11:21
Starter and all other electrical functions are fine. All lock outs etc. I'm pretty sure it is related to the ignition switch, and being a UK import, will have the resister ign switch.
Bloody stupid idea that was, like who is going nick a 600 Bandit anyhow.
Suzi also uses those stupid Torx bolts that shear the head off, to mount the switch to the triple clamp, that means removing said clamp and drilling out the remaining bolt:angry2:
I'll keep you lot informed. Apparently it is common in the UK with people modifying Bandits into street figters, throwing away the ignition block, and then the bike not starting.
A 100ohm resister inside the switch is in series with the orange/red wire direct to the CDI.
Suzuki have dropkicks for engineer's.:wacko:

tri boy
4th December 2008, 18:20
Update. New genuine Suzi switch sorted the fault.:banana:
Resisters are shitty little items that should not be hidden in ignition switches:oi-grr: MHO

Warr
4th December 2008, 18:33
Good result there Brent.
Hadnt seen the thread previously.. may have been able to share a coke nutting over the problem :)