PDA

View Full Version : The search for "the one"

phoenixgtr
22nd November 2008, 15:33
Today I began the search for the bike that is right for me.

About two years ago I bought my ZX-6R. It was my first big bike and I bought it having no idea what bigger bikes were like to ride. All I knew was that I wanted a 600 sports bike. So I bought the beast.

Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the bike. I love the power, but I've never felt "right" on it. Two years later I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to.

So, the search has begun for the bike that pushes all my buttons.

I've decided I'm just going to test ride anything that takes my fancy (and maybe some bikes that don't). Of course I have rules:

1. My budget is within $10k
2. I'm happy with the power of my bike. I certainly don't need alot more, but I don't think I could live with less.

Let the test riding begin...

phoenixgtr
22nd November 2008, 15:34
98 Ducati 900SS

I mainly wanted to ride this bike to see whether I liked v-twins and who would pass up the chance to ride a Ducati. Youl'd have to be MAD!!

All I can say is...THE SOUND, IT WAS INTOXICATING!!

This particular bike is the sportier 900SS with a full fairing and a single seat and it was fitted with twin GPR Carbon mufflers...THE SOUND

After I managed to relax a bit I had alot of fun but this is definately not the bike for me.

1. It's harder to ride than my bike. I don't really need that.
2. I had a sore back and arse after just an hour test ride. And I'm only a young bugger!!
3. I felt quite awkward. I thought the 6R was a sports bike but this thing stretched me out. The handlebars seemed miles away.

Ah, but the sound!!

At this point I just want to put in a plug for Just Motorcycles in New Brighton. They are a great bunch and they let a dangerous looking young guy take a Ducati for a blast. Cheers guys.

The search shall go on!!

SARGE
22nd November 2008, 15:38
spaaaacccerrrrr

good luck Phoenix.. i bought my FJ 5 years ago..still have it.. recently bought a minter Thunderace..

its like a golf bag in my shed.. different tool for each fairway..

no rules about having just one bike..

fatzx10r
22nd November 2008, 15:42
here's a good bike http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=85988

Artifice
22nd November 2008, 16:47
well I'd suggest you try a though v-twin of some sort. v twins generally have less power but a lot more torque and its usually torque that gives the big smiles. perhaps a suzi svs or a bmw... the trumpet tripple has been popular tha last year or two. i think even a klr 650 could be worth lookin at.

MentalFacility
22nd November 2008, 18:29
with 10k.... i would get a crazy supermoto or something....

Taz
22nd November 2008, 18:47
There are some good cheap aprilia's out there........

Gremlin
23rd November 2008, 03:30
What riding do you enjoy the most? What must the bike be able to do? Set yourself some absolute deal killers (but reasonable ones) to avoid getting carried away on the wrong sort of bike.

JMemonic
23rd November 2008, 10:12
Dont give up on the Ducati's mate there is a heap to to chose from and you might find one that suits.

Good luck in your search, its a hard road to find the perfect bike, I know you have tried the DR, how about a look at a Motard.

Have a look a Trevor Pierce they have got a range in there at the moment, new container and all.

phoenixgtr
23rd November 2008, 10:39
Thanks everyone.

Anthrax I'd love to try an Aprilia. I know emoto down here has an 01 RSV. That ones waaay out of my price range but at least if I ride it it will give me an idea.

I'm not sure a supermoto is really going to do it for me.

Gremlin, I love the twisty stuff (go on Weds night rides every week), but I need a bike that I can commute on occasionally (would normally just cycle), and I need to be able to travel considerable distances on it. I did a tour of the south island on my 6R and it was great for that.

The ducati definately did not tick the commute or distances boxes and a supermoto ain't going to do the distances either.

Unfortunately my budget dictates that I can only have one bike Sarge, oh and my better half.

CookMySock
23rd November 2008, 10:58
yeah bro I read your first post I was thinking "you need to ride a vtwin."

As usual, ride them all. Theres even a hyo mid-size vtwin. After the suspension and brakes have been sorted you still get lots of change back from 10k. Then there is the public shame of course.. ;)

Steve

Gremlin
23rd November 2008, 11:53
An inline 4 will be smoother than a vtwin me thinks, depending on bike (not withstanding other engine types), but the vtwin will probably talk to you more, as such.

I definitely believe that nakeds are more fun, and you feel you are going faster than you really are, so they tick the fun box. Also depends what you consider long distance. As you know, I was using the boss' blackbird for the trip south, now thats a mile eating bike. 700+ km per day on day, still not really feeling sore. Big heavy bike for commuting tho, also brilliant for 2up.

On the flip side, supermoto/motard. Depending on the bike, you should be able to put a screen on, which will keep a lot of wind off. Your main issue on them (me thinks) is the seat comfort. Did a Grand Challenge (1600km in < 24 hours) on a supermoto, the seat was what needed improving. But then it also does gravel/dirt/teeny bit of off road.

Sounds like you have some test riding to do :headbang:

edit: One tip for test riding, it will probably be obvious what any given bike will be good at... test ride it either through a specific route like all the others, or really test the bad sides of the bike, be it endless motorway or rush hour

R6_kid
23rd November 2008, 14:00
Check out an FZ6 an R6, and a Ducati Monster.

I rode an S2R 800 Monster and loved it. I found my old 99 R6 to be really comfortable, and like yourself I didn't really feel 'at home' when I rode a ZX6R like yours. The FZ6 is a compromise between a nice looking naked, and a sportsbike - it has a mildly detuned R6 engine so still has some good go to it.

phoenixgtr
24th November 2008, 07:43
Ok, so I'm going to use this thread to compare the bikes I have ridden so heres all the bikes I've ridden previously (excluding 250cc or less).

01 SV650S
This is my dad's bike. It was boring. Ok, it's a motorcycle. It does everything it's supposed to but theres no excitement or passion to it. It felt sooo gutless too. It was the first v-twin I had ridden and after that I decided I needed to try a proper v-twin.

03 GSX-R 600
This was good. It felt alot like my bike but it did everything slightly better. Handling was a bit more confidence inspiring than the beast.

DR650
Thanks Helen. Only rode this bike for about 5 mins on the road but it was quite cool. At the complete opposite end of the scale to my bike. It seemed so easy to control like I could avoid a pothole that had magically appeared before me (not that I'd need to on a DR).

Another 99 ZX-6R
This is DeviantEsq's bike. It's the exact same model as mine, except it's a UK import. I rode it from Picton down to Chch. It's in much worse condition than my bike and seems "worn out" when I ride it. What's interesting though is that it handles completely differently. My 6R is very sharp and almost violent to turn in, where his is stable and slow to turn in. The suspension is set up almost exactly the same so I'm putting it down to mostly the tyres. (Conti Roads on his, Pilot Sports on mine).

00 Speed Triple
Different...certainly different. Didn't seem exceptionally powerful but the brakes were insane. Almost eye popping. I only rode it for 5 minutes and couldn't fault it, although...

08 Street Triple
This was better. It just felt so light. Which it is. Again I only rode it for 5 mins, but it was a fun 5 mins. Engine was smooth, brakes were good, very easy to handle. Of all the bikes I've mentioned in this post I could se myself having the most fun on this one BUT I won't get one for my budget...DOH!!

wayne708
24th November 2008, 12:42
Hi Tristin, just to let you know I still have my SV1000 and I'm still enjoying it for all it's alledged faults.(Like not being able to out run your 150 down the Rimutakas on Wednesday night rides) These bikes are great value for money at the moment,$11995 new and a good second hand one a whole lost less. In some cases people are asking more for 20 year old 250's than SV1000's.
They are not perfect and my main complaint would be the seat on a long ride,I got over the stiff back and wrist thing after a couple of rides over the hill. Another downside would be comuting unless you change the gearing a little. Still I've managed to clock up 1000km a month in the 2 1/2 years that i've had it and I don't comute on it.
Wayne.

PS Will be staying the night at La Rive Motel, Akaroa, Thurs 12th March next year, then heading over to Blackball Fri 13th. might be able to catch up.

phoenixgtr
26th February 2009, 09:46
Well I thought I better update how the search is going.

I've been realising more and more lately that 1 bike can't do everything, so I need to decide where my priorities lie (i.e. short rides through the twisties vs touring etc.).

Last week I took a DR650 on the Weds night ride and OH MY GOD!! I had sooo much fun. Helen was then crazy enough to let me take the DR on a trail ride on Sunday. I had a blast, but I'm not so sure the offroad is for me. As a result of last Weds though, a motard is now definitely on the test ride list. The reason I wasn't too keen on a motard in the first place was the idea of touring on one. But like I said, I need to decide where my priorities lie. Anyone know where I could find a "trick" motard to test ride in Chch?

Last night I also rode a Ducati ST4. I've always dreamed of having a big v-twin, but I rode it for half an hour maybe and got back on my own bike and felt more comfortable. Prob just more at home. Handling wise, though, it was surprisingly very similar to the ninja. It responded well to to the "shoulder in" steering that my bike loves. I was thinking to myself "I could live with this", but I'm looking for the "right" bike, not just another good bike...make sense?

Gremlin
26th February 2009, 12:09
hmmm budget within 10k...

either a dr650 with motard wheels and street tyres (or dual purpose), or if you can find it, maybe a 2nd hand ktm 690 supermoto but more likely the older 640 supermoto...?

I'm converted to the ktm supermoto way... very very capable bikes.

Mikkel
26th February 2009, 12:29
Last week I took a DR650 on the Weds night ride and OH MY GOD!! I had sooo much fun. Helen was then crazy enough to let me take the DR on a trail ride on Sunday. I had a blast, but I'm not so sure the offroad is for me. As a result of last Weds though, a motard is now definitely on the test ride list. The reason I wasn't too keen on a motard in the first place was the idea of touring on one. But like I said, I need to decide where my priorities lie. Anyone know where I could find a "trick" motard to test ride in Chch?

You don't want a "trick" motard for the daily commute. If you're keen you can have a blat on my Husky 610 it's good fun. Just drop me a line and we can arrange something. :)

Squiggles
26th February 2009, 13:33
TL1000S ;)

DR's are good, but how much open road riding do you do? Love mine for around town but can be a wee bit tiring on the highway with buffeting (Mines completely stock)

phoenixgtr
26th February 2009, 13:53
Cheers Mikkel. I'll give you a buzz.

That's what I'm worried about Squiggles. Unfortunately the budget just doesn't stretch to 2 bikes, otherwise I'd be sweet

vifferman
26th February 2009, 14:07
I have to say it - try a VFR800.
The 5th Generation model (pre-2002) should be within your budget.

Laava
26th February 2009, 14:07
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=93456

mikeey01
26th February 2009, 15:09
All I can say is...THE SOUND, IT WAS INTOXICATING!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/17QDA4WtkEM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/17QDA4WtkEM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Renegade
26th February 2009, 19:18
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=93357 :whistle:

less power than your zx6r though id say

phoenixgtr
26th February 2010, 11:36
Just thought I'd dredge my own thread up. Well I've bought a bike. It's been a long search, but I've found a bike that ticks most of the boxes for me. I bought a 2005 Honda CBR600RR...I can hear the groaning already "but it's just another 600 inline four sports bike, just like your ZX-6R!!". Hell no it's not. The differences for me are like night and day. Obviously it's 6 years newer than the old ninja and technology has moved on a fair bit in that time. On paper it weighs about 25kg less and has 10hp more. Being a small fella weight is a big factor for me.

Engine:
The engine certainly doesn't wow me compared to the ninja. Lets face it, it's the same size and configuration, but the delivery of power is almost instant. The ninja took a little bit to wind up, which meant there was a delay between opening the throttle and going. The CBR is so quick to get moving, which means it's smoother and when you glance down while passing a car you realise you're doing 160. I know alot of people told me to get a v-twin and I rode a few, but an inline 4 just seems to suit me better.

Handling:
This is where the two bikes are worlds apart. I was never truly comfortable on the ninja. It always seemed to be able to scare me in some, when it would seemingly jitter all over the place or stand up when it would hit a rough patch mid-corner. Of course most of this was probably due to suspension that was completely wrong for my weight. The bike was very easy to turn into a corner but not at all stable when it's leant over. The CBR is amazing. You tip it over and it sits there. It hits a rough patch and it still sits there. You tell it where you want it to go in a corner, it doesn't tell you. This I love and this is what I was looking for. The suspension needs a little setting up for me as I find it a bit harsh on square-edged bumps and have had the rear tyre leave the road over a bump. Fortunately though, Hampton Honda have agreed to have their race professional set my bike up for me in a couple of weeks time. Sweet!!

Other Factors:
So I wouldn't be fooling anyone if I said it'll be better for touring. The tank's plastic, so my tankbag is useless. That tail would be hopeless for hanging panniers off and I'm not sure you can get a packrack to fit it...but OMG it's sexy. I love the look. Ergonomics wise it's pretty good for me, but I wouldn't want my legs to be any longer. My shins rest on the fairings. It'll be hopeless for pillions, but that's ok cause I hate taking pillions and my wife has her own bike. The headlight is disappointing. The high beam is fine but the low beam may as well not be on. But, despite these few factors I am thrilled. I've owned it since Tuesday and I already feel at home on it.

Is it the perfect bike for me? Probably not, I don't think there's such a thing. No one bike can do everything right. But I feel it's certainly a step in the right direction. I'm a happy boy

vifferman
26th February 2010, 11:50
Good stuff, and congratulations! I rode one of those when they first came out, and it was a very nice bike.
As for the tank bag, I believe you can get something for tank bags that allow you to use them on bikes like yours. I haven't seen one, but I think it's basically a pad that straps onto the tank and the bag attaches to that.

Mully
26th February 2010, 11:55
Nice bike.

And nice thread dredge :P

Mikkel
26th February 2010, 12:23
the delivery of power is almost instant. The ninja took a little bit to wind up, which meant there was a delay between opening the throttle and going.

CV carburettors versus modern fuel injection would be my bet.

HenryDorsetCase
26th February 2010, 12:33
Today I began the search for the bike that is right for me.

About two years ago I bought my ZX-6R. It was my first big bike and I bought it having no idea what bigger bikes were like to ride. All I knew was that I wanted a 600 sports bike. So I bought the beast.

Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the bike. I love the power, but I've never felt "right" on it. Two years later I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to.

So, the search has begun for the bike that pushes all my buttons.

I've decided I'm just going to test ride anything that takes my fancy (and maybe some bikes that don't). Of course I have rules:

1. My budget is within $10k
2. I'm happy with the power of my bike. I certainly don't need alot more, but I don't think I could live with less.

Let the test riding begin...

Triumph Street Triple.

You're welcome.

CookMySock
26th February 2010, 13:38
The tank's plastic, so my tankbag is useless.Geth a bigth thuction cup and thuck it on to teh thank.

Steve

Murray
26th February 2010, 13:54
I always thought NEO was "THE ONE"

Shows how wrong you can be!

AllanB
26th February 2010, 14:17
And I have just found u a 06 big bore Aprilia in CHCH that would have fitted your budget (with a bit of shop haggling).

Never mind, at least you got a HONDA

onearmedbandit
26th February 2010, 21:58
Nice bike. My g/f has the '08 model, she absolutely loves it. Saw a pic of one on 600rr.net with a pack rack on it, fully toured up so it can be done.