PDA

View Full Version : Track day participation?

Hitcher
22nd November 2008, 22:36
Who's a fan of track days and racing?

eelracing
23rd November 2008, 09:03
Who's a fan of track days and racing?

Im a fan of both.Trackdays for the relaxed atmosphere and racing for that extra buzz.
The most fun ya can have with your boots on i reckon.

roy.nz
23rd November 2008, 09:19
Yip love the track days....... wouldn't mind 1 a week. :Punk:

Wingnut
23rd November 2008, 09:20
I took my GSXR to a track day on a sunday and had bought my CBR race bike on the following tuesday. So I guess you could say I found it enjoying. Well enjoying enough to want to get amongst the racing side of things anyway. I still like to participate in track days also. Any track time is good track time!!

Goblin
23rd November 2008, 09:21
I voted the first two options because I have ridden at a few track days but I mostly just marshal at the MotoTT days.
I love the solitude when I'm sitting out there in my little box watching everyone else having all the fun. It's cool to see the riders improve over the days. I make up names for some riders, like Aprilia Dude, Ducati Dude and Elbow Guy.:laugh:

Having also raced in a previous life, the thrill of grid starts and "turn one" cant be beaten. I cant wait to do it again!:headbang:

MotoGirl
23rd November 2008, 09:41
I'm a fan of track days and am getting to the point where I have more fun at Taupo/Manfeild than I do riding on the road. You really can't beat learning/practicing in a controlled environment.

Now to find a suitable track day where I can ride the RSVR!

sinfull
23rd November 2008, 10:07
See a guy on a harley at the motott track day yesterday was having a ball !
Just proves a harley can go round corners (well most of em, then it becomes a v twin plough)

MotoGirl
23rd November 2008, 10:16
Just proves a harley can go round corners (well most of em, then it becomes a v twin plough)

It's interesting you say that. My first time at Taupo was with Brian Bernard and Fred Merkyl for a rider training day. We had guys on Goldwings and Harleys flying around the track with sparks flying everywhere. Awesome!

Goblin
23rd November 2008, 10:19
Just proves a harley can go round corners (well most of em, then it becomes a v twin plough)Yes! I wanted to shake his hand but ran out of time in my lunch break. Was a revelation to me. I didn't know a Hog could corner so well!:2thumbsup

Actually the Vespa dudes were having a ball too. Funny as to see them in the racing crouch and hanging off round the corners. Big ups to all of them!

quickbuck
23rd November 2008, 10:38
I have seen enough Harleys at training days, track days and race days to know that in the right hands they aren't that disadvantaged.

I can't remember the lap times the Late Robert Holden used to do around Manfeild on the 883 in the 90's, but I know they were relatively quick.

wharfy
23rd November 2008, 12:15

Have you ever seen Darren Heman from Nelson ? He races an 86 softtail with forward controls and wide bars, I've seen him race a few times, (and even against him at Greymouth). He gives it DEATH

CHOPPA
23rd November 2008, 12:37
Track days are cool! Maybe to take out option 3 for the racers they could have a race class with maybe really fast road riders!

AlBundy
23rd November 2008, 12:58
Track days are fun but don't get to them much, due to work and not having a track close by...

BigG
23rd November 2008, 13:05
Luv Trackdays but cant do to many because of the cost factor.

MotoGirl
23rd November 2008, 16:29
Luv Trackdays but cant do to many because of the cost factor.

Yes, they're definitely expensive. We're off to Manfeild next weekend for another Suzuki track day (the entry fee is cheap at $65) and it's costing us about $500 including travel and accommodation. Nonetheless, it's money well spent :love:

BIGBOSSMAN
23rd November 2008, 17:44
I phukkin love trackdays, sadly due to a change in circumstances my pride and joy is up for sale so I may have to re-discover reincarnation before I see the track again.
Still, was nice while it lasted...:weep:

sosman
23rd November 2008, 18:29
fark yeah trackdays rock!.....Done 5 taupo's & 1 puke now!... & lovin it.
Went for a ride round coro-loop on friday & found what a pain in the ass, gravel/traffic...looking over ya shoulder for cops etc,ya just cant beat the rush of trackdays....Ya caining the fark out of yr machine for 10-15min & there's always someone in the group who's similar speed to you,so its fun having little battles while still giving each other room!.

Bring on Hampton downs :beer:

Nicksta
23rd November 2008, 19:24
i'm a racer but started with many trackdays..... i would do the odd track day these days... but find as a racer i would prefer a "race group" that can include experienced trackdayers as i ahve learned through obervation and time that its a different type of fast rider at the trackdays compared to race test days (which are like trackdays) and think the different riding styles if you will to clash a little... would increase the safety i think :)
nowadays nothing beats a start, dice and checkered flag :D

jrandom
23rd November 2008, 19:34
I make up names for some riders...

What's mine?

:doobey:

Tony.OK
23rd November 2008, 19:35
nowadays nothing beats a start, flip and sore ass :D
:bleh::bleh::bleh:
Totally agree with ya Nicki......

jrandom
23rd November 2008, 19:37

Will you be sharing any tips on ethanol-based pre-trackday nutrition planning with us today mister sinfull sir?

:shutup:

Frenchy
23rd November 2008, 19:37

Hahahahahaha:laugh:

Nicksta
23rd November 2008, 19:39

hey, that was a jump, 12 o'clock and step off the back!!!
:bleh:

Tony.OK
23rd November 2008, 19:43
hey, that was a jump, 12 o'clock and step off the back!!!
:bleh:

Hahaaa your teacher must be crap.........:innocent:

Goblin
23rd November 2008, 19:57
What's mine?

:doobey:Pink Batman!:eek:

You asked. :laugh:

jrandom
23rd November 2008, 19:58
Pink Batman!:eek:

Thought that was Choppa!

Goblin
23rd November 2008, 20:02
Would you prefer Betty?

jrandom
23rd November 2008, 20:03
Would you prefer Betty?

Ah, admit it, my riding's just so fuckin' awesome nobody ever has to call me in.

:hug:

Goblin
23rd November 2008, 20:07
Ah, admit it, my riding's just so fuckin' awesome nobody ever has to call me in.

:hug:Yeah, s'pose. Ever since Betty bucked you off you've got somewhat smoother in your riding style. ;)

jrandom
23rd November 2008, 20:21
Ever since Betty bucked you off you've got somewhat smoother in your riding style.

I took the black bitch's sidestand off, she ain't got no way of getting rid of me now.

:shifty:

sinfull
23rd November 2008, 20:24
Will you be sharing any tips on ethanol-based pre-trackday nutrition planning with us today mister sinfull sir?

:shutup:

Say no to crack days ! Awwww Track ? Haha shit sorry eyes are a bit blurry still ! Yeah love em !
No i don't do crack, i'm a dutchman and that shits far to expensive !
But bugger me i can't for the life of me think where i spent 2 spot on friday night ! Or for that matter i still can't remember how the hell i got back to the motel ! Do remember chattin to a rider when i did get there, what the hell he was doing staggering round at 2.30 in the morning before a track day i'll never know ! Fucks up yr whole day that does !

DEATH_INC.
23rd November 2008, 20:24
I love trackdays, better value for money than racing, but not as much of a buzz though.....f**k I miss both of them :(

erik
23rd November 2008, 21:25
I'm a fan of track days. I was thinking I don't really understand the point of racing, I figure there will always be faster and slower people than me, so what's the point of competing?
But after reading the preceding posts about the buzz of racing, it makes more sense.

There's also the thought that there's a greater likelihood of accidents in racing since riders are competing and might be driven to take risks or leave less margin for error than they would on a track day.

Anyway, for now at least I get heaps enough of a buzz from track days, working on my riding, gaining experience and slowly getting faster.

Hitcher, why do you ask?

Hitcher
23rd November 2008, 21:38
Hitcher, why do you ask?

I have my enigmatic reasons.

Toast
24th November 2008, 07:12
Track days are awesome fun! Back when I started riding on the road I thought that they were a bit expensive, but after trying a few the value for money quickly became apparent…yes you get less time riding for your money as compared to a Coro loop or some such. But the actual time spent nailing the bike into, through and out of corners at the best of your ability is usually a lot more, and that’s coming from someone who erred on the wrong side of sensible on the road.

Racing is something else though :D And arguably safer due to lower speed differentials of riders on the same part of the track.

jrandom
24th November 2008, 07:18
I have my enigmatic reasons.

Looking forward to seeing you get yer knee down on the FJR then.

:sunny:

Goblin
24th November 2008, 16:31
Thought that was Choppa!Nah....he's Wheelbarrow Man. :eek:

CHOPPA
24th November 2008, 17:06
Nah....he's Wheelbarrow Man. :eek:

lol howd i get that!? haha Maybe its cause i talk alota shit :laugh:

Goblin
24th November 2008, 17:23
lol howd i get that!? haha Maybe its cause i talk alota shit :laugh:Heh! Just keep telling yourself that.;)

Chrislost
24th November 2008, 17:25
There's also the thought that there's a greater likelihood of accidents in racing since riders are competing and might be driven to take risks or leave less margin for error than they would on a track day.

I disagree. just as likley to crash anywhere. Perhaps more likley to be TAKEN OUT at a race day but meh...

i ride at a trackday to practice catching the wee beast in the act of tossing me off...

has come in handy once or twice on the road:innocent:

Quasievil
24th November 2008, 17:34
Apparently Im a wanna be racer on a chook chaser (so I was informed today) but anyway I like the social side of trackdays and the buzz of racing, trackdays are good for testing the bike and getting things soughted for the next race

Biggles08
24th November 2008, 22:20
Track days are bad...they encourage speeding...and speed kills...if your prepared to speed...your prepared to kill.

kiwifruit
25th November 2008, 08:10
i like .

LilSel
25th November 2008, 08:21
I havent rode a track day, but have been to a few with my lil fireball n watched :) Keen to get on the track sometime soon tho! slow group for sure lol

Tony.OK
25th November 2008, 08:22
Apparently Im a wanna be racer on a chook chaser (so I was informed today)

And I thought you moterd boys were tough bastards................Not the sort to take things to heart and sulk........:doh:
Chook chaser may be a tad harsh......................didn't I see you chasing ducks at rnd 5 though?:laugh::laugh: