PDA

View Full Version : Random fact for the day

CB ARGH
24th November 2008, 09:29
Just got back from booking the full license test, sadly for class one and not six. :confused:

Some of you may remember that when I sat my learners license I failed the eyesight check and had to go pay thirty or so bucks for a doctor to tell me that I can read a stupid wall chart. Well, this time I had an idea.

If you can only see two columns out of three, close one eye.

(To see the first two, have your right eye closed. To see the final column, have your left eye closed.)

Works a treat, and saves thirty bucks. :Punk:

vifferman
24th November 2008, 10:46
Yay for you!
Uh... I hope this doesn't mean the rest of us are subjected to you driving around, shutting one eye then the other so you can see where you're going. :confused:
Coz that would definitely not be "Yay for us!" :no:

phred
24th November 2008, 10:50
I find memorising the route works fine, the low vision doesnt matter.

Devil
24th November 2008, 11:36
That trick is fine as long as they dont spot you closing one of your eyes.
Got busted for that.

I'm one of those poor bastards who has to shell out for the optometrist to tell me i'm fine.

Swoop
24th November 2008, 12:21
Or just put some contact lenses in...

(it was only a couple of weeks before the laser, so what the hell...)

rainman
24th November 2008, 13:25
If you can only see two columns out of three, close one eye.

(To see the first two, have your right eye closed. To see the final column, have your left eye closed.)

I can do that without physically closing my eye, I just shift focus from the left eye (that I usually look through) to the right eye. My eye problems don't impair driving or riding at all - I actually have pretty good vision and don't wear glasses. I just don't have conventional binocular vision - the reason I see one image when I look through both eyes is because I semi-consciously point them at the same object, if that makes any sense at all.

Does make taking the tests a touch more challenging, though.

Devil
24th November 2008, 13:36
I can do that without physically closing my eye, I just shift focus from the left eye (that I usually look through) to the right eye. My eye problems don't impair driving or riding at all - I actually have pretty good vision and don't wear glasses. I just don't have conventional binocular vision - the reason I see one image when I look through both eyes is because I semi-consciously point them at the same object, if that makes any sense at all.

Does make taking the tests a touch more challenging, though.

Pretty much same problem as me, except my right is very dominant and I have to concentrate to get them working together using binoculars, or this stupid test. Doesn't affect my day to day vision though.

Freakshow
24th November 2008, 15:29
I have the same issue with those stupid machines. They are not build to fit everyone. The other trick is to blink real fast.

pzkpfw
24th November 2008, 16:46
I have the same problem with the machines.

I've also used that one-eye-closed trick to pass the test.

I've paid optomotrists to test me properly and write notes that say I can see fine - so I don't think I'm actually endangering anyone.

Even the optomotrists say the machines are junk.

Little Miss Trouble
24th November 2008, 19:12

Yep my optomotrist said the same thing.

Funnily enough I can see through that machine fine, its just seeing in general that I have a problem with :doh: Scary thing is legally I could go back to the AA with a note from the optomotrist saying I just scrap in as passable, I choose not to because I don't feel safe riding/driving without.

BiK3RChiK
25th November 2008, 07:06

Yep, my optometrist says the same thing! I had to get my contacts checked recently after doing the eye exam at the AA and the optometrist said there was nothing wrong with my contacts and that their machines were archaic and needed updating.

Spyke
25th November 2008, 08:29
I had to do that too! so annoying that you have to cheat (even if you've nearly got20/20) to pass when your paying a fortune to do it, so it should be set up properly.

CB ARGH
26th November 2008, 07:29
...when your paying a fortune to do it, so it should be set up properly.

Agreed.

$170: Defensive driving course :weep:
$115: Full License test fee

TOTAL: $285

Yowchies. :dodge:

Little Miss Trouble
26th November 2008, 07:52
Agreed.

$170: Defensive driving course :weep:
$115: Full License test fee

TOTAL: $285

Yowchies. :dodge:

Ya, wanna know the REAL gutting part?
Unless you also held your 6R for at least six months at the time of doing the Defensive Driving course, its not valid to reduce time on your bike license as well, your going to have to do it again.:eek5: