PDA

View Full Version : Soon 2b a DR650 owner

Bytor
24th November 2008, 12:26
Fed up of looking at old school litre road bikes and have come to the conclusion that the DR650 is the bike that meets my needs. Have been toying with the idea ever since Holeshot lent me one whilst they were servicing my GSXR - had such a laugh on it!
Anyway have about $5k to spend on the bike leaving a little $500-$1k on immediate mods. There are two bikes on TM (one has not relisted after not selling but have spoken to owner, so hopefully will go and see it this weekend) both 04's and standard. One has over 20k and the other 30k with service history. What should I look at when inspecting the bike? Is $5k a fair price and what suspension mods could I do for a limited budget? I'm 6'1" and about 110kgs in all the gear. I know there's heaps of stuff on here about the DR, but fuck it takes ages to trawl through it all.

Padmei
24th November 2008, 16:24
You poor poor bastard - don't do it to yourself:shutup:

cooneyr
24th November 2008, 17:48
...... Is $5k a fair price and what suspension mods could I do for a limited budget? I'm 6'1" and about 110kgs in all the gear. I know there's heaps of stuff on here about the DR, but fuck it takes ages to trawl through it all.

I'm almost exactly the same size and weight. My DR had stiffer fork springs (don't know what the PO put them on) and had a standard shock. A good idea would be to get the sus serviced i.e. seals and oil, ride it for a few months till you get the hang of things and then start modding it once you have an idea about what you would like to see fixed.

You poor poor bastard - don't do it to yourself:shutup:

Bloody KLR owners, ya don't know what your missing :bleh:

Cheers R

johannvr
24th November 2008, 20:22
Just to give you a comparative idea - bought mine a few months ago - 2004, standard with around 20K on the odo, only extras a Scottoiler & Oxford heated grips, & I parted with $ 5400 for it, so yours sound like reasonable deal.

I'm 6'1, 97kgs & I agree with what was said before - stick it out with the standard suspension for a while until you get it figured - in all reality it by & large lives up to expectations, especially whilst you're still a tad new at it. I have no doubt that a decent setup would be a big improvement, but honestly I've not been able to outride the suspension yet ...

I'd recommend that you rather spend some $ on a bashplate & an IMS tank - the relatively small range is one of my biggest bugbears - apart from that - no probs.

Bytor
24th November 2008, 20:25
I'm almost exactly the same size and weight. My DR had stiffer fork springs (don't know what the PO put them on) and had a standard shock. A good idea would be to get the sus serviced i.e. seals and oil, ride it for a few months till you get the hang of things and then start modding it once you have an idea about what you would like to see fixed.

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd do - ride for a while, get used to it then seek help on improving it. Just have to find one now. MotoGB in Tauranga have an '06 with 14k which they will prob let go for $6k which makes the private sales on TM look expensive.

Bytor
24th November 2008, 20:30
Just to give you a comparative idea - bought mine a few months ago - 2004, standard with around 20K on the odo, only extras a Scottoiler & Oxford heated grips, & I parted with $ 5400 for it, so yours sound like reasonable deal.

They seem to hold their value well which is another reason why I'm interested - when you do some research you realise how popular they are the world over.

Woodman
24th November 2008, 20:34
Bloody KLR owners, ya don't know what your missing

We are a loyal bunch.

Kaituna
24th November 2008, 20:42
I have owned over 40 bikes in my 45 years and my DR650 is one of the most fun and practical toys I have had. My mods are, bash plate, TAG fat bars, bar risers, IMS tank, D606 Tires, 14 tooth front sprocket, Acerbis bush bars. I only weigh 75kgs and am 176cm tall and so the suspenders seem okay to me. I reckon that I am actually not a lot slower through tight windy sealed sections than when I had a GSXR 750. On gravel, bugger all can touch the thing. All MHO.

johannvr
24th November 2008, 20:48
Bloody KLR owners, ya don't know what your missing

We are a loyal bunch.

So what ya doing checking out a DR thread? Morbid curiosity? Spying on the enemy?

Aaah, I know. Secretly thinking of crossing over to our bit of the dark side ;)

Kaituna
24th November 2008, 20:51
So what ya doing checking out a DR thread? Morbid curiosity? Spying on the enemy?

I Reckon it's like penis envy!! :msn-wink:

johannvr
24th November 2008, 20:53
I Reckon it's like penis envy!! :msn-wink:

My thoughts exactly.

Aslan
24th November 2008, 21:22
Hi Bytor - I recently bought a k6 with low KMs. Thrilled with it - a very versatile machine - should have bought one sooner.

I've fitted the 14Tengine sprocket (secured by circlip), B&B bashplate and frame protectors, ventura pack rack system, scott oiler. M21 front and D606 rear tyres. I'm expecting an IMS tank to arrive tomorrow.

I really like the simplicity of these machines. I think you'll have plenty of smiles on a DR.

Cheers Aslan

johannvr
25th November 2008, 07:57
Hi Bytor - I recently bought a k6 with low KMs. Thrilled with it - a very versatile machine - should have bought one sooner.

I've fitted the 14Tengine sprocket (secured by circlip), B&B bashplate and frame protectors, ventura pack rack system, scott oiler. M21 front and D606 rear tyres. I'm expecting an IMS tank to arrive tomorrow.

I really like the simplicity of these machines. I think you'll have plenty of smiles on a DR.

Cheers Aslan

Hi Steven - how about a few pics of the beast? Would like to see the bashplate & frame protectors combo & stuff. Haven't gotten as far as doing anything to mine yet, apart from that home-fabricated bashplate, so keen to see & think about it some ...

Johann

Bytor
25th November 2008, 11:52

Cheers Aslan

That's what I love about these kind of bikes, you can start off with a relatively cheap canvas and then add things for not too much money. I see this pending purchase as being a keeper, will have to live with the bike as it is for a while and then mod it as and when I can afford it.

NordieBoy
25th November 2008, 17:17
Yep. There's a whole world of cheap "enhancements" to do :D

RØKSTA
25th November 2008, 17:56
hey does anyone know of good alround sprocket gearing for a XR650R that wants to do both on road and off road. at the moment my friends bike is geared up for more on road so its abit chuggy and on the nose when you take it around the farm. Be good if it was slightly lower as you can rev a little higher in gear but still be good at cruising 100+kms/hr on the mway.
any suggestions as I have not a clue what would be the best and he wants it done right (changed) first time.

Woodman
25th November 2008, 18:11

Ya never know what could happen, but a DR (with big tank) would have to be way better than a KLR to convince me.

Pedrostt500
25th November 2008, 19:16
yep Brought my DR 650 new 2 weeks ago, enjoying it more every time I ride it, its stock standard at the moment, though I have fitted a pack rack,
I will be making a bash plate in the near future, may also incorperate some engine protection in it to, Thinking about a small aluminium rack for above the headlight, big enough to take a 5 litre petrol container, Im not looking at any serious bush bashing on it yet so will leave the suspension as stock for a while, I have a 1980 DR400 for that purpose.

NordieBoy
25th November 2008, 20:01
Ya never know what could happen, but a DR (with big tank) would have to be way better than a KLR to convince me.

I'm not going to say anything :innocent:

Aslan
25th November 2008, 22:33
Hi Steven - how about a few pics of the beast? Would like to see the bashplate & frame protectors combo & stuff. Haven't gotten as far as doing anything to mine yet, apart from that home-fabricated bashplate, so keen to see & think about it some ...

Johann

Hi Johann - will try to post some pics tomorrow night - have just finished fitting IMS tank. cheers S

Aslan
25th November 2008, 22:34
Yep. There's a whole world of cheap "enhancements" to do :D

and a group of enthusiastic owners ready to impart their experiences.

NordieBoy
26th November 2008, 06:22
and a group of enthusiastic owners ready to impart their experiences.

Who? Us?

We're all shy and retiring types here.

:whistle:

MXNUT
26th November 2008, 09:04
i'm not going to say anything :innocent:

We dont believe that for a minute