PDA

View Full Version : Racing

dpex
24th November 2008, 19:38
Mr Moderators, I can't see how to start a new thread in the racing section and so, no doubt, you'll both plonk this post over there and advise me on how to get there next time.

Meantime.

I've been thinking about this racing business. Even on track-days we all tend to race but, of course, with the benefit of being able to look around later and assert, "Who Me? I wasn't racing mate. Jus' doin' ma thing.' Yeah right....we weren't racing, eh?

As some will know, I have a '95 Yami 600 and a KR150.

The Yami is about as competitive with modern 600's as Shirrifs on a mobility scooter would be competitive against me and my Yami. I can live with that.

I weigh in at 102 kilos. So some 70KG wraith on a 150 is going to do me, regardless.

What I wish to ask is, why doesn't the racing fraternity have age and weight classes, or staggered starts.

For example: a race between owners of a bike age-group which fairly represented bike performance and left the results to rider skill.

Or weight restrictions classes. 150's/ 60-to-80 Kgs. 81-to-105 Kgs.

Or, another concept. Way back in my yachting days we had what were called 'Mark-Foy" starts. The slowest started first and then, by guaged time, the fasters started at later intervals. The net result being a huge deluge of boats crossing finish line at much the same time.

But then we could have handicaps, like golf.

Craig and his peers would be sratch. Dpex and his peers would get maybe a three year handicap for ten rounds of Pukekohe.

This sort of racing brings in the ordinary (like me) guy. One who will never aspire to anywhere near the heights of the top lads, but who wants to fairly race.

I've noticed, in my groups at various track days, that few nail me in the corners, but most nail me on the straights, on account of they're running seriously hot bikes which are a quantum leap up from my Yami.

'Ah, so why don't you buy a hotter bike?' I hear you ask.

Fact is. I don't want to. I love my Yami and, moreover, I can't afford something bigger,better, faster.

And on my KR, I sure as hell can't lose 30 Kgs. Shit, I'm hard pressed to stay at my current weight.

But what pleasure can an obviously faster bike/biker get from trashing the obviously slower?

Surely, some system of start-type or handicap would enhance the pleasure for all involved.

Granted, I was being facetious regarding Craig and his level. To put the likes of me in with him would be down-right dangerous for all concerned.

But I can't help thinking that this racing stuff could be better organized and thus attract a greater following.

But man, tack-days and racing is serious fun.

jrandom
24th November 2008, 19:47
Just do what I'm doing. Slowly and painfully pedal/run/swim/lift/diet your way down to a competitive weight.

:yes:

R6_kid
24th November 2008, 20:03
Racing is racing... fastest man around X laps of this track wins. If you're fat (like me) learn to use it to your advantage, or do something about it so that it's not so much of a disadvantage.

Nick Cole and Choppa are 'big' compared to some of the people they race, but have no trouble getting their hussle on when it comes to crunch time.

discotex
24th November 2008, 20:31
Racing is racing... fastest man around X laps of this track wins. If you're fat (like me) learn to use it to your advantage, or do something about it so that it's not so much of a disadvantage.

More mass inside the line might help you corner the bike faster for a given lean angle for the same reason hanging off does... Up to the point the added mass helps to overcome the tyres of course.

I'm sure the KB physics buffs can prove/disprove that theory pretty quickly.

Clivoris
24th November 2008, 21:46
But I can't help thinking that this racing stuff could be better organized and thus attract a greater following.

Yeah, it must be easy. Give it a go.

I hear what you are saying, but what you're suggesting amounts to another layer of complexity to a task that is already stretching those that can be bothered. I might be misrepresenting what you are saying, but it wont stop me from suggesting that you seem to be desiring a level playing field so there is a chance of winning, or at least mixing it with racers that are quicker. They may be quicker due to more powerful or better handling machinery. They may be quicker due to a God-given talent or anorexia. But they are quicker. It's racing dude. Get out there and do the best with what you have and have fun with it.

AlBundy
24th November 2008, 23:13
Life sucks! We all have areas where we perform better or worse...

For every 100kg guy, there's a 60kg guy that has to wrestle a big bike around. Swings and roundabouts...

And stop screwing around on the kids bikes... Or stop complaining...

FruitLooPs
25th November 2008, 01:29
Yeah the likes of Dave Jefferies weren't exactly feather weight but he could punt a bike around IOM like nobodys business. Up the skill, and the more riding you do you'll probably drop a couple kg anyhow.

Gremlin
25th November 2008, 01:53
Most classes are racing ie, the fastest wins (as has been said). A more casual class is Clubmans.

On to organisation. 1, just how many bikes do you think there are? At one practise day, there was 1 superbike and 1 supersport (maybe 2) circulating in their group... 2, effort. A lot of time is soaked up already, people don't make a living off organising the racing as well.

Like everyone else... if you want to win... you'll have to do better. Faster, lighter, just like everyone else does. Buckets could be the other option.

FJRider
25th November 2008, 04:52
Desire to win, and ability to win, are not the same thing. The classes of/in racing are many and varied. find a class that tickles your fancy... and go for it. ENJOY it. Coming last in any race is incentive to try harder in the next race. Desire to win usually increases the enthusiasim to try different things to improve your chances of a better placing. At the end of the day, regardless of your success...or lack of, enjoy what you do. And unless you are endangering the lives of the other competitors in the process, keep at it.

mctshirt
25th November 2008, 05:44
More money = Go faster

Motor racing is simple mathematics.

Storm
25th November 2008, 05:52
Just do what I'm doing. Slowly and painfully pedal/run/swim/lift/diet your way down to a competitive weight.

:yes:

Sez the man with a GSX1400. I thought the big bike was so you could eat all the cream brulee's you wanted :bleh:

In response to the OP, I agree with the idea that buckets might be a bit of you

Wingnut
25th November 2008, 05:53
Whats with the need for coming first.

Is this tendancy towards racing due to an overwhelming desire to be the fastest or are you out the for pure enjoyment and fun.

To be honest, if I was obsessed with having to be totally competitive, I wouldn't be doing it. I cant afford to be totally competitive but I still enjoy getting out on the track - any track - as often as possible - and at the end of the day whether Im quick or not - I totally enjoy it.

jrandom
25th November 2008, 06:32

That's what she said!

jrandom
25th November 2008, 06:37
Sez the man with a GSX1400. I thought the big bike was so you could eat all the cream brulee's you wanted :bleh:

It's not the power to weight ratio that holds me back so much as the fitness.

AlBundy
25th November 2008, 11:46
That's what she said!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I laughed and I laughed...

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:02
Yeah, it must be easy. Give it a go.

I hear what you are saying, but what you're suggesting amounts to another layer of complexity to a task that is already stretching those that can be bothered. I might be misrepresenting what you are saying, but it wont stop me from suggesting that you seem to be desiring a level playing field so there is a chance of winning, or at least mixing it with racers that are quicker. They may be quicker due to more powerful or better handling machinery. They may be quicker due to a God-given talent or anorexia. But they are quicker. It's racing dude. Get out there and do the best with what you have and have fun with it.

Yeah, you're probably right, cliv. But coming into either Castrol or the hairpin at Puke, and finding I can muck it with the 'average' then click down for max launch and still find the hotter bikes leave me like fleas off a dead body, sucks.

Mind you, a lot of that could be a lot of me being an inexperienced git with personal illusions to grandeur. Time will tell, and I intend to put a lot of time into the telling time.

But again, you're right. I either suck it up or buy a competitive bike.

Nar. I'll do suck-it-up. I still have shit-loads of fun and scare the bejeseus out of myself: which is why I like doing it. :--)) And I just adore my Yami.

jrandom
25th November 2008, 19:03
... could be a lot of me being an inexperienced git with personal illusions to grandeur.

Probably.

:msn-wink:

Time will tell, and I intend to put a lot of time into the telling time.

That's the spirit!

:sunny:

FROSTY
25th November 2008, 19:11
Auckland club champ for several years in F1 was a rather um portly gentleman called "bubbles grey" Heck of a nicce bloke but he just said I is who I is so ill race as fast as I can wif wot Ive got--seemed to work for him

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:13
Most classes are racing ie, the fastest wins (as has been said). A more casual class is Clubmans.

On to organisation. 1, just how many bikes do you think there are? At one practise day, there was 1 superbike and 1 supersport (maybe 2) circulating in their group... 2, effort. A lot of time is soaked up already, people don't make a living off organising the racing as well.

Like everyone else... if you want to win... you'll have to do better. Faster, lighter, just like everyone else does. Buckets could be the other option.

Buckets! Are you mad, Gremlin. Those buggers on buckets are madder than me!

Hmmm. Yeah. Maybe buckets could be an option.

I'm going to do the PMCC Street Stock series, just to see what's what.

I have to admit, I far prefer the small, 'technical' courses to the 'wiggles-then-straightline-hyper-speeds, type. I way prefer Taupo 2 and Manfield to Puke. An Mt Wellington is a hoot!

At least, on such courses, binning happens at way lower speeds.:--))

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:15

Is this tendancy towards racing due to an overwhelming desire to be the fastest or are you out the for pure enjoyment and fun.

To be honest, if I was obsessed with having to be totally competitive, I wouldn't be doing it. I cant afford to be totally competitive but I still enjoy getting out on the track - any track - as often as possible - and at the end of the day whether Im quick or not - I totally enjoy it.

Yup. At the end of the day, that's me, wingnut. Good advice. Cheers.

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:17
That's what she said!

Yeah, but then 'she' has a new bike with vibrations. You might become redundant. :--))

FJRider
25th November 2008, 19:18
That's what she said!

no one remembers who came second... unless she does... :rolleyes:

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:20
Auckland club champ for several years in F1 was a rather um portly gentleman called "bubbles grey" Heck of a nicce bloke but he just said I is who I is so ill race as fast as I can wif wot Ive got--seemed to work for him

Yup. That's me. Thanks, of knowledgeable mentor.

MadDuck
25th November 2008, 19:22
no one remembers who came second... unless she does... :rolleyes:

You got that back to front Mr Smarty Pants :msn-wink:

Mom
25th November 2008, 19:22
Mr Moderators, I can't see how to start a new thread in the racing section and so, no doubt, you'll both plonk this post over there and advise me on how to get there next time.

Not a mod however, go to forums, then racing, then click the button that says "new thread" on the top left hand side of the thread list. Type your thread up and click submit...voila! New thread in racing forum :sunny:

dpex
25th November 2008, 19:35
Not a mod however, go to forums, then racing, then click the button that says "new thread" on the top left hand side of the thread list. Type your thread up and click submit...voila! New thread in racing forum :sunny:

I Tried that, but I can't find 'racing'.

MadDuck
25th November 2008, 19:38
I Tried that, but I can't find 'racing'.

Bwahahahaha...maybe they hid it from you?

FJRider
25th November 2008, 22:27
You got that back to front Mr Smarty Pants :msn-wink:

Either way, some moaning is expected... :whistle:

Toast
26th November 2008, 07:42
Handicap systems like in yachting and in golf?

Yachting: People bitch because their handicap is unfair and the systems are usually open to bias
Golf: People cheat by putting in shit performances leading up to an event so that they can get the glory of winning a brand new sunbeam deep fryer come the main event

Not gonna be worth the time in my opinion.

Just ride it and enjoy it :)

wharfy
26th November 2008, 07:59
How about like horse racing - weight ? Keep adding it to the fast guys until everyones lap times are the same :)