PDA

View Full Version : VFR engine ticking - Shims need doing?

hazard02
25th November 2008, 20:00
Hi there,
A couple months back I noticed a slight tickering from the engine at idle. I'm not sure whether its gotten louder or whether I'm just listening for it now, but its become quite noticable. I'm guessing the shims are due for some attention?
Is there anything else (less expensive) that it could be? I'd love to fix it myself, but given thats its my primary means of transportation, i'm keen not to fuck up valve timing/clearances etc. What kind of money should it cost to fix? (I've been given a rough estimate of ~$600 by a mate).

Cheers in advance.
-Carl

racefactory
27th November 2008, 21:08
I know exactly what noise you mean.

Every single nc30/nc35 that I have heard has this ticking at idle.. including motorbyclists RVF (I always listen out for this sound on another V4 just incase) and it just seems to me that it's a VFR valve train signature sound. One thing that i noticed also was that it was very hard to hear on my viffer with modified exhaust but on other viffers you can always hear it... so i put this down to the nc30's very silent stock exhaust- somewhat anyway.

I have had 3 VFR's and every single one has had this ticking too.

I also know what you mean about listening for it harder. These things screw with your mind for sure... and after a while you become paranoid and things seem to become worse than they actually are.

I'd say if your getting poor fuel consumption, running problems or less power then they need a tweak. These V4's are bomb proof. Don't worry about it.

Having said that- i'm DEAD keen to get together to sort out valve clearances and carb balancing.

are any viffer owners willing to share the cost of a vacuum gauge so we can all balance our carbs?

edit: I also got quoted fucking around 700 bucks for valve clearances... no one wants anything to do with these fucking things, as notorious for routine maintenance as they are. again- i'm dead keen to rip into it with someone... i have the haynes manual...

vifferman
28th November 2008, 07:57
Every single nc30/nc35 that I have heard has this ticking at idle.. including motorbyclists RVF (I always listen out for this sound on another V4 just incase) and it just seems to me that it's a VFR valve train signature sound.

I also know what you mean about listening for it harder. These things screw with your mind for sure... and after a while you become paranoid and things seem to become worse than they actually are.
Yup.
My VFR750 had it too - it's slop in the scissor gears on the cam drive.
Now my VFR800 ticks too - some of it is the cam drive, some may be the injectors, and as I've never had the valve shim clearances checked, some could be there.

are any viffer owners willing to share the cost of a vacuum gauge so we can all balance our carbs?
I've a set free for anyone to borrow. Magua's using them sometime this weekend, so you can either wait, or organise with him when you use them.
I don't want or expect anything for this, apart from that you return them to me with all the parts present, including the instructions.
I've only lent them out a few times, and once they were returned with some hoses missing, and once the instructions went AWOL.

racefactory
28th November 2008, 12:07
Yup.
My VFR750 had it too - it's slop in the scissor gears on the cam drive.
Now my VFR800 ticks too - some of it is the cam drive, some may be the injectors, and as I've never had the valve shim clearances checked, some could be there.

I've a set free for anyone to borrow. Magua's using them sometime this weekend, so you can either wait, or organise with him when you use them.
I don't want or expect anything for this, apart from that you return them to me with all the parts present, including the instructions.
I've only lent them out a few times, and once they were returned with some hoses missing, and once the instructions went AWOL.

That is an absolute GODSEND. Thanks- will be in touch with you vifferman!

Scissor gears a? Interesting...

roadracingoldfart
28th November 2008, 22:03
Just a small tip for you .......:drool:

A ticking sound can also be a slightly loose header pipe so slap a socket on them to check they are tight and not leaking.

Paul.

racefactory
29th November 2008, 06:27
Just a small tip for you .......:drool:

A ticking sound can also be a slightly loose header pipe so slap a socket on them to check they are tight and not leaking.

Paul.

But is that a fast consistent kind of ticking?

roadracingoldfart
29th November 2008, 07:00
But is that a fast consistent kind of ticking?

Sure is , it can be increased with a few revs .

racefactory
29th November 2008, 14:18
Thanks for the tip.... +1 rep :drinkup:

hazard02
29th November 2008, 15:19
Cheers for the words of wisdom. Its good to know its not a definite precursor to engine explosion etc. I'll hold off til I've got some spare time and have a crack at them myself.

bsasuper
30th November 2008, 10:51
Youre worried about a little tick from a honda?, have you ever stood next to a kawasaki at idle?, once you have you wont be worried about a little tick.

racerhead
1st December 2008, 10:54
Had the same ticking with my nc35 and just got used to it because I checked the valve clearances and balanced the carbs and the sound never changed. Like the whining cam gears its just another part of the v4's character.

If anyone is thinking of doing the valve clearances themselves there easy once you take your time.

Once you have a haynes manual it shows all that is needed but I found this guide to be very good also as it describes it in simpler terms with LOTS of pictures.
http://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1943

Badjelly
1st December 2008, 14:05
Two lessons I learned early in my motorcycling life:

Don't pull an engine to bits just because it makes a noise
When you're riding around trying to see if *that* noise is louder than it used to be, don't forget to look at the road.

racefactory
1st December 2008, 15:35
good lessons!

yes i think we have now all come to the conclusion: It doesnt matter.

Max Preload
1st December 2008, 16:55

If it gets louder under load.

hazard02
3rd December 2008, 18:46
Once you have a haynes manual it shows all that is needed but I found this guide to be very good also as it describes it in simpler terms with LOTS of pictures.
http://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1943

Cheers for that. I've got a Haynes manual but I've often thought it was a bit lacking in visual aids.