PDA

View Full Version : Let's ride to Cape Reinga on Saturday (29 November)

xwhatsit
25th November 2008, 21:45
Alright, well there's a nice young (motorcycling) lass who's come to NZ for a wee while. She's brought her gear and wants to pillion around! She started a thread somewhere on KB, Angelkwan is the username.

She'd like to see Cape Reinga -- so would I -- so I was thinking we could ride up on Saturday, pick her up en route (she's staying in Kerikeri), stay somewhere for the night (is there anywhere at Cape Reinga?), then come home the next day.

Who's interested? I hope he doesn't mind me writing him here, but GiJoe1313 has expressed interest so far (not hard to get him to come along on a ride, mind you), but who else would like to come along? The more the merrier.

SARGE
25th November 2008, 21:47
i heard all but the last 10k's to the lighthouse are sealed now..true?

Ragingrob
25th November 2008, 21:48
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=86727

Maybe some will be keen to extend the ride... Would be a big'un though!

xwhatsit
25th November 2008, 21:50
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=86727

Maybe some will be keen to extend the ride... Would be a big'un though!
Oh, fuck a duck. Should've guessed. Well maybe some people would like to carry on further instead of turning back and making it a two-day affair.

I'm in need of a serious ride, Kaiaua isn't doing it for me and I have to clear my fucked-up head out.

jrandom
25th November 2008, 21:51
i heard all but the last 10k's to the lighthouse are sealed now..true?

Be a shame if they're sealing it up. That 20km of gravel to get to the lighthouse is what makes the trip, IMHO. Lovely road.

TOTO
25th November 2008, 22:02
i gotta be back in Sin City for sunday so i'm out.

Mind you only way I'm getting to cape reinga trough those last 20km of gravel is going to be on a damn bus. I aint destroying a second bike on that limestone gravel again. :oi-grr:

xwhatsit
25th November 2008, 22:03
i gotta be back in Sin City for sunday so i'm out.

Mind you only way I'm getting to cape reinga trough those last 20km of gravel is going to be on a damn bus. I aint destroying a second bike on that limestone gravel again. :oi-grr:
Wot, be a man! You've got a nekkid now, be a piece of piss.

SARGE
25th November 2008, 22:04
Be a shame if they're sealing it up. That 20km of gravel to get to the lighthouse is what makes the trip, IMHO. Lovely road.

THINK OF THE TOURISTS!!!

the damn Kiwi-Experience drivers have a hard enough time with paved curves...

Ixion
25th November 2008, 22:05
Explosives. That road needs explosives.

xwhatsit
25th November 2008, 22:09
Come along with us, you grumpy, polygamariding codger. Bring the Führer bike and you can even head back in one day with a cushioned arse, you wont have to shack up with us young lawn-trespassing kids. You can take some gunpowder with you in the panniers, Mr Fawkes.

SARGE
25th November 2008, 22:09

sir, yes sir!!!

i'll do the harbor bridge on the way back too

Maha
25th November 2008, 22:10
sir, yes sir!!!

Just the clip-ons please Sarge..they are bound to go at some stage anyway..

SARGE
25th November 2008, 22:14
Just the clip-ons please Sarge..they are bound to go at some stage anyway..

i just outfitted Fulton Hogan a shitload of tools to work on the new machines they just bought..

they move into the sheds on either side of the bridge Dec 24.. look for the mayhem to start soon after.

the pointy ball tournament starts in 2011.. gotta have the place tidy before that

xwhatsit
25th November 2008, 22:44
Everybody's welcome, not just SMCfags.

PirateJafa
25th November 2008, 23:17
Everybody's welcome, not just SMCfags.
I'm a Hondafag and a SMCfag - does that cancel out or double up?

Possibly interested, but god only knows how many different things I have planned for this weekend.

SARGE
25th November 2008, 23:49
I'm a Hondafag and a SMCfag - does that cancel out or double up?

that doubles it .. as long as you aint a Moron Fewer fag

jesus.. how many fags can KB have at once?

DIN PELENDA
26th November 2008, 02:36
Oh, fuck a duck. Should've guessed. Well maybe
I'm in need of a serious ride, Kaiaua isn't doing it for me and I have to clear my fucked-up head out.
Don't fuck a duck when you got angel as pillion.:devil2:

DIN PELENDA
26th November 2008, 02:51
Oh, fuck a duck. Should've guessed. Well maybe some people would like to carry on further instead of turning back and making it a two-day affair.

Alright, well there's a nice young (motorcycling) lass who's come to NZ for a wee while. She's brought her gear and wants to pillion around! She started a thread somewhere on KB, Angelkwan is the username.

She'd like to see Cape Reinga -- so would I -- so I was thinking we could ride up on Saturday, pick her up en route (she's staying in Kerikeri), stay somewhere for the night (is there anywhere at Cape Reinga?), then come home the next day.

Who's interested? I hope he doesn't mind me writing him here, but GiJoe1313 has expressed interest so far (not hard to get him to come along on a ride, mind you), but who else would like to come along? The more the merrier.
Testosterone kick in. How desperate are you ? Angel like to see Cape and you gone in TOTO's tread about ride to Twin Bridges , to get as to go to Cape that is desperate I hope you get ride on the wings of the ANGEL , don't forget "ride for ride".

DIN PELENDA
26th November 2008, 02:56

Is there anting else you ned to clear out:done::Offtopic:

HungusMaximist
26th November 2008, 09:48
Fark, so many rides now are poppin up!

You know I could be keen but I ant riding my sprotsbbike up that gravel, could double up on somebody's motard!

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 09:51

haha.. but gijoe will want to go there and back in the one trip - no stopping overnight stuff

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 09:57
i aint interested in even 10kms of gravel... gotta take care of my gorgeous bike and its fairings! (I know that is just going to cause someone to criticise my bike, but :bleh:)

Don't mind heading up on sealed roads - but if there is lots of gravel am likely to come back with the pre-planned northland loop ride, and then go for the planned ride on sunday (as already ticked yes for that one)

gijoe1313
26th November 2008, 09:58
haha.. but gijoe will want to go there and back in the one trip - no stopping overnight stuff

You been riding with me too long when you know about that sort of thing! :o Any excuse for a ride ... but I've always been easy that way!:baby:

Tch! Haven't seen Xerxesdaphat-now-known-as-XWhatsit and all of a sudden he's off gallavanting to the norf'en point of the Nor'Kiwiland! :oi-grr: I think 'tis a splendid idea to pootle to the Cape of Reinga ... there is a lady I need to give some choco bon-bons to as a thankee kindly to my last ridey ride thataways!

And no ... :oi-grr: it ain't whatcha think'n sheesh! :dodge: When Pippi broker downs on the CCC ride, it was her house I rocked up to requesting assistamating!

gijoe1313
26th November 2008, 10:00
Fark, so many rides now are poppin up!

You know I could be keen but I ant riding my sprotsbbike up that gravel, could double up on somebody's motard!

Take some HTFU pills, sling the bike over your shoulder and carry it over the gravels then! :blink:

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 10:03
You been riding with me too long when you know about that sort of thing! :o Any excuse for a ride ... but I've always been easy that way!:baby:

Tch! Haven't seen Xerxesdaphat-now-known-as-XWhatsit and all of a sudden he's off gallavanting to the norf'en point of the Nor'Kiwiland! :oi-grr: I think 'tis a splendid idea to pootle to the Cape of Reinga ... there is a lady I need to give some choco bon-bons to as a thankee kindly to my last ridey ride thataways!

And no ... :oi-grr: it ain't whatcha think'n sheesh! :dodge: When Pippi broker downs on the CCC ride, it was her house I rocked up to requesting assistamating!

bahaha.. yeah sure!
So need to find out whether the entire nortland ride is now heading that way, if so may continue on, and just not do final bit (maybe lock me bike up and pillion???)

gijoe1313
26th November 2008, 10:07
bahaha.. yeah sure!
So need to find out whether the entire nortland ride is now heading that way, if so may continue on, and just not do final bit (maybe lock me bike up and pillion???)

Remove fairings and ride street stock fighter? :scratch:

klingon
26th November 2008, 10:19

Oh yeah, that was a great ride :) But poor Pippi never quite made it :( She really has to give it another go!

As for the sealing of the Cape Road, it was part finished when we were up there in June. They were starting at the Cape end and sealing back towards Waitiki Landing. They are probably at least half way by now (although construction will have been slower over the winter.) Expect around 10km of gravel riding, some of which would be pretty challenging with a pillion on board (loose rocks the size of tennis balls!)

The nearest accommodation to the Cape is a camping ground at Waitiki Landing, and I believe there is a backpacker's hostel at Pukenui (about 60km south of the Cape). There is also a backpackers and other accommodation in Kaitaia.

Hmmm... I should check my schedule for this weekend... I would love to see Pippi finally make it to the top of the island!

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 10:30
Remove fairings and ride street stock fighter? :scratch:

ah.... NO!
haha
sounds like i will just have to miss this one

TOTO
26th November 2008, 10:57
That chickie must be pretty special, if you are organising all this just for her Tom(Xerxesdaphat-now-known-as-XWhatsit)

Got any compromising pics ?

Phurrball
26th November 2008, 10:59
*Bastiges, all of you...with your goddam finished exams and actual weekends off*

I'm jealous really, but I'd better work or there'll be no food or gas money next week.

klingon
26th November 2008, 11:03
That chickie must be pretty special, if you are organising all this just for her Tom(Xerxesdaphat-now-known-as-XWhatsit)

Ummm... yeah.... I think the 'special' thing about her is that she's a girl and she said "can someone give me a ride... please?" Then she batted her eyelashes.

You boys are so predictable :lol:

PirateJafa
26th November 2008, 11:09
I'm jealous really, but I'd better work or there'll be no food or gas money next week.

Gas money? You hardly even ride the beast anyway! ;)

BANZAI
26th November 2008, 11:16
Gaaah I hate you guys and Tom, you do ride when I'm not there? Gaaaaaah!!!!

I got work in the morning reharsal in afternoon and then going to beach with my mates :lol:

Hanne
26th November 2008, 11:20
Gaaah I hate you guys and Tom, you do ride when I'm not there? Gaaaaaah!!!!

I got work in the morning reharsal in afternoon and then going to beach with my mates :lol:

Oh, the arduous life of a social butterfly.... *sigh* :lol:

NinjaNanna
26th November 2008, 11:36
sir, yes sir!!!

Please do keep the bloody mexicans away

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 11:54
Ummm... yeah.... I think the 'special' thing about her is that she's a girl and she said "can someone give me a ride... please?" Then she batted her eyelashes.

yeah and the fact that shes foreign means she probably cant understand a word these guys are saying so she nods and smiles and they lap that up :yes:

GSXR Trace
26th November 2008, 11:56
but it is nice of you boys to go out of your way (way out of your way) to help the lass out

xwhatsit
26th November 2008, 13:43

Rofl. You know, JRandom doesn't have a monopoly on carting around foreign bikers :laugh:

At any rate I have my hands very full when it comes to matters of the fairer sex, and I'm certainly not interested in complicating things any further :bash:

GiJoe1313 on the other hand -- will your mother mind that she's not a mainlander...? Where's that kawaii combat biker babe thread of yours :whistle:

TOTO
26th November 2008, 22:31

we are men - we are simple creatures. you girls have it so easy. just say a word and you have a thousand slaves at your door. Man If I was a woman for one day , i'd be drunk with power.

At any rate I have my hands very full when it comes to matters of the fairer sex, and I'm certainly not interested in complicating things any further :bash:

you are a little angel aren't you :innocent:

Phurrball
27th November 2008, 09:57
Gas money? You hardly even ride the beast anyway! ;)

:bleh: I manage to ride about 50km every day young whipper-snapper...

*Shame it's communtering - at least 12km of it are fun twisties!*

bigfoot
27th November 2008, 10:14
Right Im in !!! As for those of us that done have eye battering pilly chicks...lets catch up to the kiwi experience bus...aka the sex express....we can be their kiwi experience...we truly are so thoughtful

gijoe1313
27th November 2008, 12:21
These sorts of posts are the sort of thing that gives sexual innuendo bad overtones! Like they think that harassment is "her arse", boys will be boys and always will be boys! :rolleyes:

Anyway, any excuse for a ride what I say (and before you say it ... I mean the two wheeled kind, and before you say it, it ain't kinky and before you say it ... sheep and Honda riders aren't included)

:2guns::chase::done:

gijoe1313
27th November 2008, 12:32
but it is nice of you boys to go out of your way (way out of your way) to help the lass out

I have you know I pootled my way up to Kerikeri just yesterdays as an excuse for a ride and to pre-ride the ride on the roads to Cape Reinga! Big Ol'Hornet found it heaps of fun. :scooter: :ride:

And yep, even managed to give the "lass" a good pootle around parts of Kerikeri, Kaikohe and the back roads in between. Sunstrike at one stage was bad, but nothing that slowing down can't cure (and Caberg flip down internal visor FTW!)

But then any excuse for a ride I say! :innocent:

xwhatsit
27th November 2008, 21:19
I have you know I pootled my way up to Kerikeri just yesterdays as an excuse for a ride and to pre-ride the ride on the roads to Cape Reinga! Big Ol'Hornet found it heaps of fun. :scooter: :ride:

And yep, even managed to give the "lass" a good pootle around parts of Kerikeri, Kaikohe and the back roads in between. Sunstrike at one stage was bad, but nothing that slowing down can't cure (and Caberg flip down internal visor FTW!)

But then any excuse for a ride I say! :innocent:
Hahaha, trust you, GiJoe1313 doesn't need organised rides, he makes them up as he goes along :laugh:

Well she'll be quite familiar with the seat of the Big Ol' Hornet then.

klingon
28th November 2008, 09:04
Awww I can't come along after all as I have another event happening on Saturday. :(

Say hello to the Cape for me, gijoe! And remember to do lots of bike yoga (on and off the bike) to keep yourself ninja-nimble and keep passing motorists amused!

Have a great journey! :Punk:

jrandom
28th November 2008, 09:09
Y'all have fun up there tomorrow.

I'll be thinking of you as I pedal around Lake Taupo.

:sweatdrop

GSXR Trace
28th November 2008, 13:01
So are you guys doing the start of the northland loop and then heading off further up, or doing your own thing the whole way?

xwhatsit
28th November 2008, 14:06
I dunno, we should probably make our minds up. The start of the Northland Loop is probably the most interesting way to do it, instead sitting on boring straight windy roads where I'll be hunched over the bars with the throttle pinned trying to make headway and riders of bigger bikes try to resist the temptation to crack 100mph.

Heading up the west side like that is probably quieter -- I imagine the Orewa/Warkworth/Wellsford/Dome Valley side will be full of useless summer holidaymakers. Might as well meet with the rest of you guys and those that want to go on can split off at Kaikohe. Kaikohe to Kerikeri looks fookin' boring road though, at least from the map.

Stay in Kaitaia tomorrow night, find a backpackers or some cheap place.

xwhatsit
28th November 2008, 21:58
All right -- I think the above is the best plan, so we'll meet with Toto's Northland Loop ride and then branch off later (Kaikohe looks best).

From Toto's thread, he says to meet at Shell Westgate at 9am sharp for 9.30am departure. Shit! Early, lol. If you're not sure where Shell Westgate is (me, for one) here's the Google Map link (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&saddr=massey,+auckland&daddr=wellsford+to:wellsford+to:dargaville+to:SH+1 2+to:twin+bridges+to:SH+14+to:-35.875698,173.927307+to:wellsford+to:massey,+auckl and&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3B%3B%3BFcqw4f0d0q9VCg%3B%3BFZps3f0dhK NfCg%3B%3B%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=4&mrsp=7&sz=9&via=4,6,7&sll=-35.668454,174.089355&sspn=1.57309,2.469177&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.61663,174.336548&spn=0.777099,1.234589&z=10) showing where to meet and where we'll be going. It's pretty much at the end of SH16 where you get to that T-junction and traffic lights (they're doing a lot of construction work there right now).

See you guys tomorrow morning then.

gijoe1313
29th November 2008, 06:48
Any excuse for a ride! :msn-wink:

xwhatsit
30th November 2008, 04:46
First post!

I must be home first :D

We rode all day first. Then the sun went down while we were at Cape Reinga (long story later) -- then we rode all night. At Orewa the sky was getting light, as we went over the Harbour Bridge you could see the sun.

Now I'm going to take a shower and go to bed before I die :laugh:

PirateJafa
30th November 2008, 07:53
You had the right weather for it, that's for sure.

Disappointed that I missed out, but a westie broke me.

klingon
30th November 2008, 20:44
First post!

I must be home first :D

We rode all day first. Then the sun went down while we were at Cape Reinga (long story later) -- then we rode all night. At Orewa the sky was getting light, as we went over the Harbour Bridge you could see the sun.

Now I'm going to take a shower and go to bed before I die :laugh:

:eek5:

Crikey!
You mean there was NOWHERE between Cape Reinga and Auckland that had room at the inn? Or are you all just totally bonkers?

I hope everyone arrived home safe & sound after that marathon effort.

xwhatsit
30th November 2008, 21:29
:eek5:

Crikey!
You mean there was NOWHERE between Cape Reinga and Auckland that had room at the inn? Or are you all just totally bonkers?

I hope everyone arrived home safe & sound after that marathon effort.
Bonkers. Blame GiJoe1313.

Magua
30th November 2008, 21:51
Sounds like a blast.

Gremlin
1st December 2008, 02:53
Or are you all just totally bonkers?
I'm sane... they're crazy... :laugh:

gijoe1313
1st December 2008, 15:55
I'm sane... they're crazy... :laugh:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Black Leathers.

Tinted Visor.

Tank range only marginally better than a thimble.

Seat harder than a brick.

Bonkers indeed :oi-grr:

Also, you agreed to ride with me. I rest my case your honour!

Magua
1st December 2008, 16:58
Sounds like I missed out on one hell of a ride, bugger.

themechanics
1st December 2008, 20:35
the road at the cape not to much gravel nice smooth stuff still close to 10klms unfinished lots a places ta stay in kaitaia only an hr ride great road heaps a straight real long ones if ya no wat i meen
bazza

Gremlin
1st December 2008, 22:56
Also, you agreed to ride with me. I rest my case your honour!
No no, I'm pretty sure this massive GiJoe fella threw me on my bike, told me I was going to follow him or else, and being such a small vulnerable fella, I valued my life too much to object :whistle:

Did I over-do that, or is it slightly credible? :sweatdrop

gijoe1313
2nd December 2008, 10:42
No no, I'm pretty sure this massive GiJoe fella threw me on my bike, told me I was going to follow him or else, and being such a small vulnerable fella, I valued my life too much to object :whistle:

Did I over-do that, or is it slightly credible? :sweatdrop

Was that before or after I was mesmorized by the pretty VDU of your GPS unit? :drool: The funny thing is I bet the Katoom was thinking "oh bloody hell, here we go again!"

I felt sorry for X-Whatsit ... trapped between two mad bikers who obviously have scant regard for things like sanity and reason. We are the poster boys for all that is wrong. Our gallows humor and off-tangent remarks means ADD is well and truly defined by our banter.

Damn good that when we are on our bikes we aren't talking. Wait, what did we get up to our bikes again?

1. Blatant knee-down exaggerations - I swear I went faster by just sticking my knee out to one side (or the opposite of what I was meant to be doing) Gremlin is so tall, he just sneezes and hes kneedown.
2. Meerkat mansion - doing the ol'standy-peggy thing to look around. Gremlin with his excessive asian scorning height means he can hit the low height bars in carparks.
3. Jean Simmons stretch show - watching Gremlin do his calisthenics to keep limber on the KTM was hilarious, I got spittle from making *snortmewmew* noises in my helmet.
4. We somehow coaxed moar speed out of our rides by running alongside our bikes, swimming through the air and of course, tucking down onto the tank.
5. Naked bikes with crash knobs can be used as cruisiers (Zapf does this all the time), plonk legs or feet up on them and you can be easy riding!
6. Gremlin is like a living swiss army knife. He can fix Scottoilers by just being a tool! :shifty:
7. Being TEC is hard when Gremlin insists on being a RTEC (rear of TEC) ... not too bad, but I would have worried if he was riding a Honda!
8. I think KTM need to market more to the clinically insane, Gremlin can be their sales rep.
9. There is no ninth point.

To paraphase ... just the usual things done by the good ol'boys, trying to do no harm, since the day we were born!

Gremlin
2nd December 2008, 12:32
To paraphase ... just the usual things done by the good ol'boys, trying to do no harm, since the day we were born!
No-one would have understood a single word of what you said, unless they had actually been there and seen it. :Pokey:

gijoe1313
3rd December 2008, 23:44
No-one would have understood a single word of what you said, unless they had actually been there and seen it. :Pokey:

People actually read what I post!? :scratch: :oi-grr: I just do it so I don't have to write it all down in a diary and one day when I am old and doddery I can download the info into my hardwired neuro-implant and giggle at the tomfoolery I got up to with other merkins! :msn-wink:

Ooh look pretty lights ...