PDA

View Full Version : A decent sort of a ride.....

Blackbird
5th November 2002, 19:13
Thought I'd mention a couple of organised rides in case people haven't heard of them....

The first is the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge. Held in October each year, starts and finishes in Turangi and the objective is to cover a checkpointed route of 1000 miles (1600 k's) inside 24 hours. It's as much a test of your mental state as anything, but it really sharpens your riding skills. If anyone wants to read about what it's like, I put together a couple of articles on Steve Ives' website www.kiwibiker.com/ (not to be confused with this one!). Have done it 3 times now on my Beemer, but not yet on the 'bird.

The second one run by the same people is called the Southern Cross and starts on April 20th next year. It starts at Cape Taranaki lighthouse, mid-day. First check-in is next day same time at East Cape lighthouse. Next check-in is the following day same time at Cape Reinga lighthouse. Final check-in is 4 days later same time at Stirling Point, Bluff.

See you there??
:argh:

wari
6th November 2002, 17:08
That Southern Cross ride is a long bugga .... :) Sounds like a good week though ... how many riders join in ususally?

Blackbird
6th November 2002, 18:24
Sometimes over a hundred for the big 'un, less for the 1000 miler. Complete mix of bike types and ages. One guy did the 1000 miler on a Suzuki 50 this year for a dare and finished with 15 minutes of the 24 hours deadline remaining. Understand one arm was almost paralysed from all the gear changes!!

Yes indeed, you find a lot out about yourself on rides like that!
:brick:

wari
9th November 2002, 22:54
Doing the light houses is a great idea.

Blackbird
10th November 2002, 07:29
If anyone wants to get more details on either ride, here's the contact:

Ph/Fax Lee or Gail 09 4165866 or 021 639743

Or e mail: rustynuts@silverbullet.co.nz

I'm putting in an entry for the Southern Cross sometime this week - hope to see a few others on it. Going to do the ride with some mates, then spend a few days returning through Queenstown, Wanaka and the West Coast.

Kiwibiker
27th November 2002, 03:02
Guys Blackbirds articles are really good, here is the direct link to the 1996 and 1997 reports, worth a read. I'm in the process of changing the frontend of the web site so this will make it easier to find

1997 (http://www.kiwibiker.com/NZ/Rusty%20Nuts-1997.htm) 1996 (http://www.kiwibiker.com/NZ/Rusty%20Nuts_1996.htm)