PDA

View Full Version : Rides - Sprint, Tiger, Speedtriple

sinned
27th November 2008, 15:01
I had a day off work today and the weather was okay. Riding home from Stratford at night in the cold on The Capital 1000 Cruise convinced me I should look at a bike with a fairing. So today was the day.

A call was made to Carl at Motorad and he confirmed they had a new Tiger demo and a 2005 Sprint I could ride. This was all part of the next big decision - replace the Speedtriple (S3) with a new one or something different. So far I am not looking past a Triumph triple.

I took out the Tiger first and then the Sprint, with a stop at home for lunch with the Sprint.

Summary: I wouldn't buy a Tiger, I may buy a Sprint and the Speedtriple is an exciting ride.

Notes on the Tiger:

Comfy seat no discomfort going over bumps.
Great exhaust sound at lower speeds - burbles, pops, louder than S3
Screen is not much good - keeps the wind off the chest but noisy at 100kph, buffeting on shoulders. The S3 with just the bug screen is better.
Good riding position for touring - a good choice for a long distance cruisy ride.
My legs are too short for this bike - I just don't feel comfortable stopping and starting off and parking it. It wouldn't be long before I dropped it while parking up.
Suspension is bouncy - don't like it.
Can't get used to the look.

Notes on Sprint ST
The test bike was a 2005 and the new ones have higher bars and screen.

Comfy seat no discomfort going over bumps. Could ride on this all day
Can't hear the exhaust around town - still got the triple sound when opened up.
Screen seems okay - no buffeting at lower speeds and is probably as good as it gets at higher speeds. The screen on the SV1000s I had worked well - something Suzuki got right.
I like the riding position and didn't have trouble with wrists or hands. Seat height allows me to put my feet down and feel totally in control.
Suspension seems okay - the bike turns well and it didn't take me long to get used to the narrower bars from the S3 and Tiger.
The motor runs well at low revs (2000 - 2500) at round town speeds. This bike is easy to ride slowly as I tested on a gentle cruise around the Southern Coast road.
Overall a bike I would like to own.

However, the S3 still rocks. It is more responsive to throttle, sounds great and is exhilarating to ride. The sensible choice is the Sprint.

When they get a new Sprint I will have a look at it. During summer the S3 will more than satisfy.

MD
27th November 2008, 18:09
I'm pleased you made this post. I'm also taking an unhealthy interest in these two models. Sportsbikes tempt you too often to speed. I'm leaning towards my next bike being one that can enjoy a winding road but discourage high speeds for the sake of high speeds. Some wind blast might be a good thing.

I took that same Tiger out for a weekend and really liked it. Yes, it's suspenders were super soft- I didn't bother trying to firm it up. Yes it was too tall. But, I sat on Anza's Tiger last week which had the lower seat. Not much lower but I immediately noticed the improvement and could get both feet much closer to terror forma. But I still like the Tiger more than a S3. Sure the Tiger is aimed more at touring than the S3 but I found the Tiger could hustle pretty damn good in twisties. I found the Tiger screen OK.

Anza's burnt red/orange Tiger was..nice.

I have looked at other alternatives but the addiction of a triple is too hard to ignore. The 1125CR with the high bars may be a contender. Stuff all wind protection though.
Mr T- please make a 675 Tiger, thank you.

roogazza
27th November 2008, 18:27
MD , just look out for those Bandits. Gaz.

MD
27th November 2008, 18:40
MD , just look out for those Bandits. Gaz.
Gaz, four cylinder bikes are so yesterday. Your's should be a slow bike by the way. It's just that no ones told it so.
You riding Sunday,or going to da sprints?

roogazza
27th November 2008, 18:42
Suzuki track day Sat, but I'll be out over the hill tomorrow. Weather looks to be great. (you can do that when retired !!! LOL) G.

roadracingoldfart
27th November 2008, 20:09
Suzuki track day Sat, but I'll be out over the hill tomorrow. Weather looks to be great. (you can do that when retired !!! LOL) G.

I friggen hate you Garry. :angry:
Your a show off bastard and im not in the least bit envious :shutup: <_<

Ohh and 4 cylinders rule !!! :Punk:

Paul.

roogazza
28th November 2008, 07:09
Get back under that car Paul !
(jeez that weather is fine today, Huh !) Gaz.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sinned
28th November 2008, 16:24
I'm pleased you made this post. I'm also taking an unhealthy interest in these two models. Sportsbikes tempt you too often to speed. I'm leaning towards my next bike being one that can enjoy a winding road but discourage high speeds for the sake of high speeds. Some wind blast might be a good thing.

The Sprint is much more sedate than the S3 and easy to just poodle along on. This lack of 'easy to ride slow' was what I didn't like about the SV1000s - it just wanted to go faster. The triple is what makes the Sprint such a nice bike - without that it would be just some other sports tourer.