PDA

View Full Version : Cellphones don't float.

Donor
29th November 2008, 12:26
Just thought there may be some who were not aware of this vital fact.

If your 3 year old face plants into the water at the beach, and panics, and you decide to do the super hero thing, make sure you have empty pockets.

$200 bloody excess, so I'll be sans phone for some time - this is why I fucking HATE xmas and councils that spring huge rates bills on you at the crappiest time of year.

GRRR!

Vent over - go about your business... in fact it's a lovely day, go out and ride for gods sakes!

slofox
29th November 2008, 12:51

I know...........ngngngrrrrrrrrrr

Mikkel
29th November 2008, 13:38

Some of them do. Everyone ought to go and check if their cellphone does, right now. It'll come in bloody handy at the beach I've been told. :D

Bad luck mate. Even if it had floated electronics don't really like saltwater...

Donor
29th November 2008, 14:11
Some of them do. Everyone ought to go and check if their cellphone does, right now. It'll come in bloody handy at the beach I've been told. :D

Bad luck mate. Even if it had floated electronics don't really like saltwater...

What guts me is, we have a $200 excess on our contents insurance.

There is a sale on, but to get decent phones I will have to tack an extra year or so onto my contract.

So now, I am on my emergency phone which is gay and basic and I bloody hate it.

Years of loyalty to tellyscum, I think I deserve a free phone!

...and I have just run out of beer... WAAAAAH!

ElCoyote
29th November 2008, 15:48
I've got one you can HAVE, just need to get the number changed. Gizz a pm

Donor
29th November 2008, 16:22
I've got one you can HAVE, just need to get the number changed. Gizz a pm

It's a brick innit?

The way karma has been biting lately, I just KNOW it is!

ElCoyote
29th November 2008, 16:36
It's a brick innit?

The way karma has been biting lately, I just KNOW it is!

Actually a fairly new Nokia, herself bought me a new one last Xmas but if you don't want it................................................ ...:innocent:

Swoop
29th November 2008, 18:44
One of the more humorous events, was seeing a chap holding his phone under the tap after losing it into the bilges!!!

"It'll be fine...!!!" :mobile::rolleyes::nono:

Mrs Busa Pete
29th November 2008, 18:59

If your 3 year old face plants into the water at the beach, and panics, and you decide to do the super hero thing, make sure you have empty pockets.

$200 bloody excess, so I'll be sans phone for some time - this is why I fucking HATE xmas and councils that spring huge rates bills on you at the crappiest time of year.

GRRR!

Vent over - go about your business... in fact it's a lovely day, go out and ride for gods sakes!

Yep i i learnt that one as well with my granddaughter.

chester
29th November 2008, 19:34
Id love to drown my (work) cell phone:done:

FLYMO
29th November 2008, 19:36
no chance mate the puddles are drying up as we speak around the logging sites lol

lb99
29th November 2008, 19:48
One of the more humorous events, was seeing a chap holding his phone under the tap after losing it into the bilges!!!

"It'll be fine...!!!" :mobile::rolleyes::nono:

I dropped mine in a septic tank:blank::blank::blank:, I couldn't fuckin beleive it

"yep there your problem, a blocked filter, I'll just lean in and get that for you"

(splash)
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK
the boy went and hid in the truck, I was fuming, that was an awesome phone too.

anyways, after I left the home owner fished around with a rake or something and got it back, It was in a plastic bag in my locker when I clocked out at the end of the day.

IT STILL WORKS.
although I have replaced it
I have stripped and cleaned it, but I don't want it now might put it on TM............

FJRider
29th November 2008, 20:03
I work for an irrigation company... that cellphones don't float is common knowledge in my line of work... I've killed three.
The good news is... they were work supplied, and replaced the next day...

Skyryder
29th November 2008, 20:05
No. I took the phone home, removed the battery and put it in the oven for a good bake on the “warm” setting, followed by a half hour in front of the blow dryer. It sprang back to life. I thought that was pretty cool, although the first friend I called wanted to know if I’d washed the phone before dialing. I guess he was worried about getting toilet germs in his ear.

for next time

Skyyrder

Skyryder
29th November 2008, 20:08

GRRR!

Here's ya answer ol' son

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/under-water-cell-phone-commercial-2/754529837/?icid=VIDLRVTEC04

Skyryder

Donor
29th November 2008, 20:43
Actually a fairly new Nokia, herself bought me a new one last Xmas but if you don't want it................................................ ...:innocent:

Nokia :drool:

Any Nokia is superior to the buggy Sanyos I have suffered in the last couple of 'free' upgrades!

(And for the record, I still have my old 025 mini-brick and charger :pinch:

slopster
29th November 2008, 22:46
I've drowned a few phones but my current one has taken a hell of a beating and survived. Last year I dropped it in a bucket of petrol and retreived it. I was shitting my pants that it would ring and catch fire as I pulled it out but it didn't and once dried out it was sweet. It's good for opening bottles too!

SARGE
29th November 2008, 22:53
i was in the toilet at one of m y clients workshops...had my phone in my vest pocket..

stood up, turned around...

**splash**

yea .. its gone dude...

Forest
30th November 2008, 01:29
I'm still using the same phone I bought in 2003.

The Nokia 6310i is quite possibly the best cellphone that has ever been produced.

martybabe
30th November 2008, 06:55
Donor mate another vital fact of life is, if you stand in the middle of a huge field minding your own business life will still find a way of throwing shit in your direction.

My own phone nestled in the breast pocket of my shirt as I turned to wipe my botty in the toilet cubicle and it promptly went for a swim in the toilet bowl as I bent over. all was not lost however as the faint blue light could be seen under the wet bog roll and between the turdys.Reluctant as I was to launch a rescue mission amongst my own faeces, I can't afford a new cell phone every week and it was still showing signs of life so I went for it.

During the extraction my ciggys and lighter dropped out my other breast pocket and went turd swimming as well. I'll leave you to imagine the subsequent rescue and clean up all you need to know is that after an intensive cleaning and drying regime the bloody turd phone never worked again anyway.Let it go people! Flush and forget :mad:

alanzs
30th November 2008, 09:03

GRRR!

Good call but what a dilemma - "Do I get the kid and ruin the cellphone or do I call 111 and get them to help?"

:hug:

Pussy
30th November 2008, 09:44
I found through personal experience that Motorola cellphones don't work very well after a 13 tonne loader truck has run over the said phone, too.
It did however make the phone a lot more compact

Donor
30th November 2008, 17:38
Good call but what a dilemma - "Do I get the kid and ruin the cellphone or do I call 111 and get them to help?"

:hug:

Muhahaha... evil bling for j00

And stone the crows or any other bird you like really - the bloody thing just turned on and seems to be working bloody well.

GUTTED!

I wanna new toy... :crybaby:

But I can't justify spending coin or taking toys from others (cheers ElCoyote!) until I am certain this one is ACTUALLY dead and beyond hope. So, it's more time on top of the dehumidifier, and we'll see how it goes.

*mumble mumph curse mutter naughty words*

Oakie
30th November 2008, 19:24
In case anyone was wondering, they don't like washing machines either.

FJRider
30th November 2008, 19:29
i was in the toilet at one of m y clients workshops...had my phone in my vest pocket..

stood up, turned around...

**splash**

yea .. its gone dude...

Yep..... Some days... ya just walk away...

speights_bud
30th November 2008, 19:41
I've drowned a few phones but my current one has taken a hell of a beating and survived. Last year I dropped it in a bucket of petrol and retreived it. I was shitting my pants that it would ring and catch fire as I pulled it out but it didn't and once dried out it was sweet. It's good for opening bottles too!

Ten blings says its one of them brick indestructable blue and white Nokias?

ManDownUnder
30th November 2008, 19:46
Get a ner or replacement one and swap the old SIM into it. I'd be surprised if the water had buggered it! Just dry the SIM out - new/different phone and you should be ok...

It'll only take two mins to test the theory anyway!

Maha
30th November 2008, 19:47

They dont like toilet water much either!!!
I dried it in the hot water cupboard....nup didnt work.
I took it to Phone Shop guy....
He took it apart and srayed it with the 'proper' stuff...
Cleaned it with a toothbrush..(not his own)
Nup, still didnt work....
Ahhhhhhhhh just gimme another one!!!

FJRider
30th November 2008, 19:53
NOTHING MAN MADE LASTS FOREVER... live with it...

Gremlin
1st December 2008, 02:36
by the sounds of it guys, he's with Telecom, so sim ideas won't work...

Be thankful your phone isn't a $950 jobby... dropping my previous one sucked (E61) as you never want to break them... Normally just needed a restart, but thankfully, it never went swimming.

Just upgraded to the E71, hasn't been dropped or abused... don't really want to either, they cost too much :blink:

racerhead
1st December 2008, 06:53
Ive been workin on speedboats for the last 5 years and have lost count of how many have ended up in the river. At one stage I went through 5 in the space of 3 months. The worst thing was they were all my own phones so every new one cost me money but the lesson I learned along the way was just buy the cheapest most basic phone and its not all bad. Have a sony at the moment and its lasted about 8 months so far and has been in the river twice and dropped in the bilge of boats a few times aswell and some how its still alive but it aint pretty. Most of the back of it is made of aluminium drinks can and duck tape and the screen looks like someone took to it with sandpaper but it still works so all good for another while:yes:

Donor
1st December 2008, 10:35
Get a ner or replacement one and swap the old SIM into it. I'd be surprised if the water had buggered it! Just dry the SIM out - new/different phone and you should be ok...

Tellyscum... no such luxury as a SIM card!

NOTHING MAN MADE LASTS FOREVER... live with it...

This phone does - hell it's been dropped, thrown, put several holes in walls and been run over by an ambulance. I reckon it doesn't consider a bit of salty water to be any threat. Bloody thing...

by the sounds of it guys, he's with Telecom, so sim ideas won't work...

Be thankful your phone isn't a $950 jobby... dropping my previous one sucked (E61) as you never want to break them... Normally just needed a restart, but thankfully, it never went swimming.

Just upgraded to the E71, hasn't been dropped or abused... don't really want to either, they cost too much :blink:

I remember when I 'upgraded' at the end of my contract to the 7400 I have now, I was told "Oh, it's $500 of FREE phone (with 2 more years of contract)" then the bastards dropped the retail price to $250 2 weeks after I got the sodding thing...

Still, fairly bullet proof phone, it's done well for the abuse it has received!

ManDownUnder
1st December 2008, 10:37

Bugger - time to try batting for the other team then?

stanleychung
1st December 2008, 15:37
Years of loyalty to tellyscum, I think I deserve a free phone!

So you have already spoken to them?

might i suggest this

Mobile Phone Insurance

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,202277-200447,00.html?text=mhp

Donor
1st December 2008, 18:31

Bugger - time to try batting for the other team then?

Perhaps when my contract is up in 12 months time... though Telstra are looking tempting, I hear tell of another playing entering the market who are establishing their own network... might hold off a while longer...

So you have already spoken to them?

might i suggest this

Mobile Phone Insurance

1 phone disaster in 10 years, I can live without it...

Donor
1st December 2008, 18:33
The phone is b0rked.

Couple of buttons are not functioning at all.

Arse!

Managed to get all my numbers off it though, so not a total loss, but a few vids of my youngest taken a few years ago cannot be recovered as they were saved to the phone, and are as such unable to be taken off by cable or sent from the phone - this includes his first steps :crybaby:

speights_bud
1st December 2008, 19:43
I was at a party ot so long ago and standing outside by a Brazier when a guy had his phone accidentally knocked out of his hand straight into the fire :Oops:,
took us all a second to realise what had just happened and then we could definatly hear the plastic sizzling, so the fire got tipped out onto the lawn, and follow the sizzling because the phone was burnt black like all the wood and then stamp it out (after taking photo's of it on fire of course) and prized it apart, pulled the sim card out which was still mint :woohoo:

stanleychung
2nd December 2008, 14:57
Perhaps when my contract is up in 12 months time... though Telstra are looking tempting, I hear tell of another playing entering the market who are establishing their own network... might hold off a while longer...

If you havent talked to them recently you might want to give their business department a quick call before christmas. I have heard that some lucky customers have been specially selected to have upgrades much earlier than their regular upgrade period.

Worth a try anyway :done:

Donor
4th December 2008, 15:17
If you havent talked to them recently you might want to give their business department a quick call before christmas. I have heard that some lucky customers have been specially selected to have upgrades much earlier than their regular upgrade period.

Worth a try anyway :done:

Popped into an Orb store this arvo...

Bastards don't want to know about me til July next year at the earliest - though this could be a good thing, the new network goes live in June '09 so I'll hopefully be gifted a shiny new phone.

Til then, my soggy phone is dead. My temp phone is ass and I am champing at the bit to put it through a block wall.

Sigh.

thewifenz
4th December 2008, 16:01
Face it donor, some days you are the pigeon and other days you are the statue...fact of life unfortunately... *rushes off to hug 5 and a half year old hyundai*
:love: