PDA

View Full Version : Measured bucket performance.

koba
1st December 2008, 18:58
I got to see what a standard FXR150 could do in a sraight line yesterday ad thought I would bung it in here for future reference.
Not sure what his gearing was but it was a roadlegal one at the carterton sprints.

FLying Quarter:
137 KPH

If anyone has any more measured times or dyno results or whatever please chuck 'em in here coz it is all good info to have.

speedpro
1st December 2008, 19:51
that's sad, very very sad.

R6_kid
1st December 2008, 20:06
i did 148 into the wind, 156 with the wind at my back, on the speedo at pukekohe, my mate whos closer to your weight was marginally faster

nudemetalz
1st December 2008, 20:08
i did 148 into the wind, 156 with the wind at my back, on the speedo at pukekohe, my mate whos closer to your weight was marginally faster

That ain't that fast for an R6... :laugh: p/t

Kendog
1st December 2008, 20:49
I saw 152 on my FXR on the back straight at Manfeild.

The real world speed is probably more like the 137 Koba quoted.

Kendog
1st December 2008, 20:50
FLying Quarter:
137 KPH

Did they do any standing quarters?

RantyDave
1st December 2008, 20:55
Nearly 140 from a single cylinder 150. Seems pretty good to me.

Dave

koba
1st December 2008, 21:06
It wasn't me on the bike.
I was just watching.
Results to be confirmed.
Dont think they did the standing but my memory is soo bad!
will check up on the results when they are posted.
Pics here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71396325@N00/sets/72157610486621606/detail/) courtesy of captain andrey

Buddha#81
1st December 2008, 21:33
MotoFXR speedos are miles out......I dont know how accurate they are but I got a calibrated MTB speedo which you enter the circumfrence of the tyre and 135 is the max I've seen on the main straight at Ruapuna, slightly more when slipstreaming.

Buckets4Me
2nd December 2008, 08:54
on a MTB spedo I have seen 158k/h at puke and 127 at Taupo and 119 at Taupo and we get to around 97k/h at Mt Wellington with a fast rider
and thats on a gp125

madkeenandy
4th December 2008, 21:17
There was a desmodeci there!!!!!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71396325@N00/3070782228/in/set-72157610486621606/

Skunk
4th December 2008, 21:36

Yeah, Welly folk don't do things by halves, eh?

SHELRACING
5th December 2008, 08:23
:rolleyes:Anyone can go fast in a straight line, it's the corners that sort the men from the boys.

Sully60
5th December 2008, 09:19
:rolleyes:Anyone can go fast in a straight line, it's the corners that sort the men from the boys.

Yes, but when do you ever get to just go as fast as possible in a straight line for that long on a bucket?:bash:

Skunk
5th December 2008, 10:07
You've never raced at Ruapuna then... Fastest bike wins as long as you're OK at corners :lol:

Sully60
5th December 2008, 10:15
You've never raced at Ruapuna then... Fastest bike wins as long as you're OK at corners :lol:

Yeah that's about as far removed from a "normal" bucket track as you can get.
They don't put the corners very close together down there.

There's a lot of open space on the mainland, no need to have those pesky corners too often!

koba
5th December 2008, 16:39

Some mental bikes turn up.
A Turbo 'busa just pipped the desmo for top speed on the day.

Yeah that's about as far removed from a "normal" bucket track as you can get.
They don't put the corners very close together down there.

There's a lot of open space on the mainland, no need to have those pesky corners too often!

yeah, I was amazed to here the one we were on was the tightest configuration!

SHELRACING
5th December 2008, 19:54
Yes, but when do you ever get to just go as fast as possible in a straight line for that long on a bucket?:bash:

Well when I corner, I corner as fast as possible. When I striaght line I straight line as fast as pos. .:shake:

You can get reasonable straight line speed a Taupo. Doing your best on a Kart Track is quite a big challenge to rider ability.

Sully60
5th December 2008, 21:54
Well when I corner, I corner as fast as possible. When I striaght line I straight line as fast as pos. .:shake:

You can get reasonable straight line speed a Taupo. Doing your best on a Kart Track is quite a big challenge to rider ability.

And you've missed mine.

The idea is you prepare for the event and run your tallest gearing and highest, peakiest power set up and make a go of it for the event it is.

Go for the highest top speed absolutley possible makes a change from gearing right to get off the important corners of a circuit quickly, even Ruapuna B as we referred to before requires some consideration for post corner accelaration.

speedpro
6th December 2008, 08:21
The easiest solution to going REAL fast at Taupo is to sneak up on Nigel, whack him over the head with a bit of lead pipe, steal his bucket, and - "voila", all sorted.

Sully60
7th December 2008, 18:02
The easiest solution to going REAL fast at Taupo is to sneak up on Nigel, whack him over the head with a bit of lead pipe, steal his bucket, and - "voila", all sorted.

Sounds like a plan, now only of I could get to Taupo.:shifty:

I wonder if work would notice if I took off for two days:whistle:

Sideways Sam
20th December 2008, 15:34
Hey Guys,

A little bit off the subject..... Does anybody have the factory information on valve timing for an FXR. I had to take the head off mine this week (bit of a problem with a spark plug that broke off in the head!).

Anyway, I thought I had documented the vavle timing correctly but when I put it back together I jsut got a whole lot of back firing etc. Can't get it to run at all and I'm tearing my hair out. Now we're gonna miss the fun day tomorrow and probably Taupo as well......

Help!!!!!

TZ350
20th December 2008, 15:52
Hey Guys,

A little bit off the subject..... Does anybody have the factory information on valve timing for an FXR. Help!!!!!

Valve timing "RULE of THUMB" valve timing is almost always symmetrical about top dead center.

I.e., if the exhaust closes say 30 degrees ATDC (after top dead center) then the inlet will start to open 30 degrees BTDC (before top dead center).

You can quickly check the valve timing by rocking the motor by hand backwards and forwards past TDC (top dead center) and the valves will rock equally with the Exhaust closing/opening equally with the Inlet opening/closing the same amount.

The cross over should be right on TDC.

It is the method I use to check that I have got the timing right when I have change a cam belts.

It is easy to see if your one tooth out and so it should be easy to quickly check your bike.

If your getting backfiring I suspect your more than a tooth out and/or most likely the ignition is way out.

Check your ignition timing!!!!!!