PDA

View Full Version : Tool chests

imdying
2nd December 2008, 09:04
I need some new tool boxes... I was thinking that these (http://www.premiumsource.co.nz/toolboxes.htm) would probably survive a bomb strike... any one seen or had one?

Motu
2nd December 2008, 18:48
Lifestyle Source :yawn:

Brand name ????? Made in ??????

But yes,they look pretty good.Be our guinea pig...our lifestyle marketing source....

imdying
3rd December 2008, 07:26
I'm not 100% sure, but I saw them in NZ Hot Rod magazine, and I think in that advert they're specified as being made in NZ.

Yes, thinking I might have to be the guinea pig... anyone else have any recommendations on tool chests? These ones caught my eye as they're stainless and look essentially bomb proof. Looking for something I can keep for the next 40 or 50 years.

JMemonic
3rd December 2008, 09:26
They certainly look good, I have a Safa made here in CHCH that is 20 years old and going strong, it could do with a few mods to make it suit me better, other than that been most happy with it.

imdying
3rd December 2008, 09:28
Yes, I have a SAFA tiered tool box that my parents brought me about 10 years ago... built like a brick shit house, it has outlasted all of my friends 'pretty' red tool boxes.

They're made in Christchurch? I wonder if they make chests too... certainly not complaints about the quality here.

SARGE
3rd December 2008, 09:32
I need some new tool boxes... I was thinking that these (http://www.premiumsource.co.nz/toolboxes.htm) would probably survive a bomb strike... any one seen or had one?

mate.. stay away from the stainless steel.. seriously..if they are not done right they are a train wreck

check out my link in my sig below.. i can have my C'Church rep come see you with some American made Waterloo stuff and everything to fill it

i even have a 72 inch WIDE top and bottom combo for those of you with a shitload of tools..

CookMySock
3rd December 2008, 10:04
forget the stupid toolboxes - check out his BBQ recipies page! Yum!

Steve

imdying
3rd December 2008, 10:13
if they are not done right they are a train wreckHow do you mean? Is there something inherently wrong with stainless steel tool chests? :confused: Or you didn't like these particular ones?

Tank
3rd December 2008, 11:03
forget the stupid toolboxes - check out his BBQ recipies page! Yum!

Steve

Typical. The men check out tool chest - and the ladies check out some nice recipes. (p/t so no need to waaaa)

jim.cox
3rd December 2008, 11:12
The latest Repco flier has a couple of good deals for 6 and 9 drawer units with ball bearing slides.

BiK3RChiK
3rd December 2008, 11:29
The latest Repco flier has a couple of good deals for 6 and 9 drawer units with ball bearing slides.

The quality of some of these ball-bearing slider drawer units is a bit lacking, so just watch that. As soon as you put a few tools in, the drawers buckle and collapse.:oi-grr:

imdying
3rd December 2008, 11:59
Yeah, that's not cool... that's what I want to avoid.

Madness
3rd December 2008, 13:09
Safa (http://catalog.tradezone.co.nz/dms/ecommerce.php?func=14&DPT=p&DPI=716&S=13accb46d5e4667538eb6986ae87a71e) toolboxes get my vote.

When I used to sell them a few years ago I had a customer with a warranty claim on a box that was approx 15 years old. He had bought the box new, then soon after went overseas for something like 10 or 12 years. I can't remember the exact issue now, but I rang Alec farrar Ltd. (the ChCh manufacturer) and explained the problem. The guy at the factory remembered having an issue of similar nature around 15 years earlier and without question or hesitation, replacement parts were sent out that day.

I personally wouldn't touch a Repco, Kinchrome or Powerbuilt box. Nothing wrong with Waterloo that I know of.

Support Kiwi Made when it makes sense.

imdying
3rd December 2008, 13:28
That SAFA MWS looks pretty bomb proof. Might be just the ticket... can always stack another box on top at a later date :yes:

HenryDorsetCase
3rd December 2008, 13:33
Safa (http://catalog.tradezone.co.nz/dms/ecommerce.php?func=14&DPT=p&DPI=716&S=13accb46d5e4667538eb6986ae87a71e) toolboxes get my vote.

When I used to sell them a few years ago I had a customer with a warranty claim on a box that was approx 15 years old. He had bought the box new, then soon after went overseas for something like 10 or 12 years. I can't remember the exact issue now, but I rang Alec farrar Ltd. (the ChCh manufacturer) and explained the problem. The guy at the factory remembered having an issue of similar nature around 15 years earlier and without question or hesitation, replacement parts were sent out that day.

I personally wouldn't touch a Repco, Kinchrome or Powerbuilt box. Nothing wrong with Waterloo that I know of.

Support Kiwi Made when it makes sense.

bling for you my friend. thanks for the heads up. My Crimble present to myself was going to be a roll cab. (but might be an RD400)

JMemonic
3rd December 2008, 13:40
They're made in Christchurch? I wonder if they make chests too... certainly not complaints about the quality here.

Yeap as someone else said Alec Farr Dyers road as you head past the lolly shop to the dump there is a slight left had curve, they are right there just off the road.

AlBundy
3rd December 2008, 15:33
Been using a Waterloo for maybe five years now, zero issues. Not that guys at work have issues with their boxes...

One things is to maybe get the biggest wheels possible. The smaller ones pick crap up off the floor and lock up. The bigger ones don't do it as much.

Owl
3rd December 2008, 16:28
Yes, I have a SAFA tiered tool box that my parents brought me about 10 years ago... built like a brick shit house, it has outlasted all of my friends 'pretty' red tool boxes.

Yeah, I have a SAFA top-box that's 14 years old and still like new:yes:. I bought a huge 150kg 8 drawer roll cab from NZTools for $600 delivered, but that was one of those very rare bargains. I just checked his website, but he no longer seems to sell them.

ManDownUnder
3rd December 2008, 16:33
Bugger - here was me hoping this was about Pammy Anderson's tits...

aaa well... pants back on...

xwhatsit
3rd December 2008, 16:58
Dad's got a SAFA set, it would be 10-15 years old at least. Been manhandled through shipping containers across the Tasman, house delivery people, me abusing it as a youngster, daily use for all kinds of things and as far as I know it's still pretty much brand new.

speights_bud
3rd December 2008, 17:10
I curently have a SAFA 9 drawer friction slide tool box (In ATNZ apprentice colour black of course), it's survived being carted to racing and back for a couple of years now and the usual abuse i give it at work, Aero165 even backed his trailer into it once:clap: bent the door in a little but no damage to anything else (he hit it pretty hard) only thing is i can't fit all my Micrometer's etc in it anymore :crybaby:

Ordered myself a WAYCO 12 Drawer B-Bearing slide chest yesterday, should be here tomorrow, cost is $565 landed from wherever. Thanks Bay Engineers Supplies :niceone:

http://www.wayco.co.nz/w1768.htm

Motu
3rd December 2008, 20:13
I earn a living out of my toolbox,and have a 15 draw Waterloo - the only thing I don't like about it are the wheels,they are hard plastic and won't roll over small objects,the wheel skids.I also don't like the draw removal method.According to the Matco man,they are the only tool company still making their own toolboxes....and he may be right.Waterloo make the rest - choose the colour and label of your choice.

My top box is a Proto,and I've had it for 30 years....and I've probably shifted it to that many jobs in that time.Lots of chipped paint,and you can count the decades from the stickers on the box (even got and Easyriders one).Doing a rethink and have taken a lot of tools I won't use in this job home - like all my Whitworth stuff,all my micrometers,dial gauges,sheetmetal tools,torque wrenches etc.That freed up enough space to fit everything in the Waterloo,and have taken the Proto home for retirement.

A real brand name is expensive....but is worth it for some uses.

imdying
3rd December 2008, 21:09
Thanks so much for all the opinions and advice guys, I appreciate you spending the time to let me know what your personal experiences have been.

The stainless steel aspsect attracted me to the premium source boxes, but given my own and your experiences with the Safa gear, I think I'll save a bit more dough and spend it there.

Funny thing... I always wanted a bling bling drawer type chest, but my parents brought the Safa tool box for me (another 21st present iirc). Turns out they were right (quality over bling bling). Another lesson learnt, god they've been good to me, whether I've appreciated it or not.

I've never heard of Waterloo gear before, but then I'm a hack not mechanic, I'll check it out too before laying out the red notes.

Thanks again, I appreciate the sharing of genuine experience.

roadracingoldfart
4th December 2008, 20:26
I also used to sell tools and tool boxes (for about 7 years) for a living as others have also stated.
The one thing i like about a good tool box is the size of the draws, they can fit the big stuff and long stuff and the draws can still shut.
I have a Kingchrome 6 draw at home (and a pile that wont fit in lol ) and its good but it has its limits as all do.
At work i have a Safa RC8 roll cab and an GL9 top box . the top box is the same size as the roll cab so my draws can be laid out with all the neatness an anally retentive prick like myself likes. The benifit is you can see when one of your workmates has swooped on a tool as the gap is very obvious indeed.
I needed a bit more room as 17 draws wasnt enough ( yer im a tool junkie) so i recently got a RCSC for the side of the roll cab. Its friggen brilliant as it has a bunch of draws that again are the same depth as the roll cab and the top box.
Waterloo is a good box but i can say with past experiance that some of the brands like Koken, Stahlwillie , Snap On etc are all equally likely to break if used wrong and abused. The biggest killer of a box is the twist factor fretting the spot welds so look for a well constructed cabinet over the slider action etc. Sliders are only a few dollars each but the cabinet is the bulk of the value.

My 2 cents worth. :blink:
Paul.

SARGE
5th December 2008, 23:59
How do you mean? Is there something inherently wrong with stainless steel tool chests? :confused: Or you didn't like these particular ones?

dont like stainless toolboxes.. they look like shit in a few months unless you are always polishing them.. id rather take that time polishing my bike..

bloody heavy too

SARGE
6th December 2008, 00:02
Thanks so much for all the opinions and advice guys, I appreciate you spending the time to let me know what your personal experiences have been.

The stainless steel aspsect attracted me to the premium source boxes, but given my own and your experiences with the Safa gear, I think I'll save a bit more dough and spend it there.

Funny thing... I always wanted a bling bling drawer type chest, but my parents brought the Safa tool box for me (another 21st present iirc). Turns out they were right (quality over bling bling). Another lesson learnt, god they've been good to me, whether I've appreciated it or not.

I've never heard of Waterloo gear before, but then I'm a hack not mechanic, I'll check it out too before laying out the red notes.

Thanks again, I appreciate the sharing of genuine experience.

im the Waterloo agent in NZ.. ring me if you want to have a sniff

imdying
6th December 2008, 07:58
Heh, you get around don't ya :D

Waynekiwi
7th June 2009, 22:16
Guys, I know my comments are way late, but I have just became a member. I can also vouch for SAFA products which are incredibly stong and have had no problems with any of mine. In addition they are 100% NZ made, not outsourced from other countries. Whilst I know that some retailers put 100% mark up on SAFA products you can contact the manufacturers directly, they are a family business that has been going since 1931. A full list of their products is avalaible on safa.co.nz. I see on their website they have also manufactured bike parts with their CNC machines. Good hunting for future purchasers.

cowpatz
8th June 2009, 19:28
Be sure to check out the bearings in the draw sliders. Brushed stainless will be a pain in the arse...will show every damn paw print and grease mark. You will be forever cleaning it so it doesn't look like crap.

classic zed
9th June 2009, 15:00
You cant beat a good toolbox, unfortunately mine is taller than me and I have to open the bottom drawer and stand on it to get things from the top :(

Owl
9th June 2009, 17:33
Guys, I know my comments are way late, but I have just became a member. I can also vouch for SAFA products which are incredibly stong and have had no problems with any of mine. In addition they are 100% NZ made, not outsourced from other countries. Whilst I know that some retailers put 100% mark up on SAFA products you can contact the manufacturers directly, they are a family business that has been going since 1931. A full list of their products is avalaible on safa.co.nz. I see on their website they have also manufactured bike parts with their CNC machines. Good hunting for future purchasers.

Awesome to see my G10 still available and unchanged after all this time!

You cant beat a good toolbox, unfortunately mine is taller than me and I have to open the bottom drawer and stand on it to get things from the top :(

Very nice indeed!

I'm so jealous!:laugh: