PDA

View Full Version : KTM 525 6spd gearing help

scorry
2nd December 2008, 15:34
ok so ive just brought bulldog's 525 off him.
i love the bike, but man it is geared for well over 200k.
it currently is running a 15 front and 42 rear.

anyone know what gearing i should use to gear it to 180k?

was thinkn about gettin a 14 and a 45 but just wanna check first

thanks heaps

AlBundy
2nd December 2008, 15:47
Quasie may know, since he's got something similar....

It may be easier to drop one in the front, since it won't need the chain to be changed... Then, take it from there...

scorry
2nd December 2008, 15:51
Quasie may know, since he's got something similar....

It may be easier to drop one in the front, since it won't need the chain to be changed... Then, take it from there...

tru, yeah i might flick him a pm.

might have to drop 2 on the front if i dont change the rear tho.
it has got a bit of adjustment that should cope with a bigger rear sprocket

Bulldog
2nd December 2008, 15:53
I'm thinking 1 in front and 2 rear.....my two cents :)

Quasievil
2nd December 2008, 15:55
Yo I run a 15/40 or a 15/42 or a 15/38 or the same with a 14 front

best thing is to the attached gearing calculator (what I use) should be reasonably filled out already as far as ratios go so chuck in the options to see and have a play.

ask me anything else you might wanna know I may or may not know the answer

scorry
2nd December 2008, 16:02
thanks for that quasi, exactly what i was after.

looks like 14 44 will be mint, which is what bulldog said

thanks for your help guys

scorry
22nd December 2008, 14:07
oh just for anyones reference, i dunno what sort of internal gearing this thing has but i had to drop to a 13 and 44 to gear it to just under 180.

oh and it now pulls up on the back wheel in 4th :woohoo:

YAMASAKI
22nd December 2008, 14:16
Yo I run a 15/40 or a 15/42 or a 15/38 or the same with a 14 front

best thing is to the attached gearing calculator (what I use) should be reasonably filled out already as far as ratios go so chuck in the options to see and have a play.

ask me anything else you might wanna know I may or may not know the answer

Thats a very handy tool, do you know whether the 520EXC ratios are the same as the 525?

SeppoDave
22nd December 2008, 14:58
Hey Quasi, the SMR must have different gear ratios to the EXC for you to be pulling such a small back sprocket. I'm in the same boat as you Scorry. I run 14/45 and I have topped out at 179kph on the GPS with my 530 EXCR.

Also have a look at http://www.gearingcommander.com/ There's a preset for the 530 EXCR which has the same gear ratios as the 525 apart from 1st & 2nd. You'll need to know the circumference of your back tyre as mounted. They vary quite a bit and the stock value given for a 160/60R17 isn't quite right.

Cheers

scorry
16th July 2009, 08:15
Rito more advice / suggestions wanted.

Do you gear your bike for the limiter in top or to use the torque and gear it just over peak power?

Just trying to sort out my gearing for the levels series.

I used to run a 13 48 and would get 173k down the straight
This gearing was slightly too short.

Since then i have had my bike rebuilt and dyno'd by the guys at MCR, now putting out 50hp at the wheel, not bad i thought, still mostly std

The problem i have is what gearing do i run now??

I went to MCR yesterday to try get a 46 or 47 rear, but cant get any in NZ apart from genuine ones at the genuine price of $150. hmmm dont think so.

Ive got a few different options to try but wanna hear what you guys think.

Remembering that my 525's 6th is like an overdrive and will never pull to limiter i reckon.

Thanks

SeppoDave
19th July 2009, 13:22
Hmm

I just looked at your profile and saw that you have a 525SX. That means your 5th & 6th gears were added after stock, which could mean a couple of different possibilities. Since you say that your 6th is quite high, that would mean to me that they are EXC gears (the wide ratio ones). Essentially, you have "gear stew", which won't match either Quasi's SMR or my stock EXC ratios.

So, using a little math, we can probably get you close. If you allow that your current gearing 13-48 gets you to 173kph at close to your peak power, then 14-48 will get you 186 and 14-47 will get you 190 at the same RPM.

This is a simplification, as I don't know if you were wringing its neck at 173 or if you had revs to spare and were running out of track!

Hope this helps

Dave

Quasievil
19th July 2009, 13:45
Hmm

I just looked at your profile and saw that you have a 525SX. That means your 5th & 6th gears were added after stock, which could mean a couple of different possibilities. Since you say that your 6th is quite high, that would mean to me that they are EXC gears (the wide ratio ones). Essentially, you have "gear stew", which won't match either Quasi's SMR or my stock EXC ratios.

So, using a little math, we can probably get you close. If you allow that your current gearing 13-48 gets you to 173kph at close to your peak power, then 14-48 will get you 186 and 14-47 will get you 190 at the same RPM.

This is a simplification, as I don't know if you were wringing its neck at 173 or if you had revs to spare and were running out of track!

Hope this helps

Dave

Coming to the MOTOTT buddy ?? friday 24Th

SeppoDave
19th July 2009, 16:02
Can't mate. Bummed.

Will be there in August though. Have fun!

scorry
19th July 2009, 19:41
Hmm

Hope this helps

Dave

hey cheers for that mate, dunno what sort of ratio it is now then cos my speedo says it was doin 174 at around 9k.

13 45 worked out pretty good, didnt end up changing it at all for the weekend.

i got smoked by a crf450 down the straight tho, with a little investigating i found out its got 54hp at the wheel and explains the heap of speed it had.

was all over him round the corners but didnt stnad a chance down the straight, TIME FOR MORE POWER

Quasievil
19th July 2009, 19:52
hey cheers for that mate, dunno what sort of ratio it is now then cos my speedo says it was doin 174 at around 9k.

13 45 worked out pretty good, didnt end up changing it at all for the weekend.

i got smoked by a crf450 down the straight tho, with a little investigating i found out its got 54hp at the wheel and explains the heap of speed it had.

was all over him round the corners but didnt stnad a chance down the straight, TIME FOR MORE POWER

How Much HP you got Scorry ?

scorry
19th July 2009, 19:56
How Much HP you got Scorry ?

ive got 50 at the wheel, got it tuned after i rebuilt it last month.

seriously wanting more power now cos i havent been passed round the corners for a while but i cant keep up down the straights

Quasievil
19th July 2009, 20:09
ive got 50 at the wheel, got it tuned after i rebuilt it last month.

seriously wanting more power now cos i havent been passed round the corners for a while but i cant keep up down the straights

Ive got 52.4 hp, with a tune and a Akropovic system, the pipes gave me the biggest gain to.
I can generally beat a CRF450 on the straights as well as huskys etc, fuck even beat a Aprilla SVX 550 last month at Manfeild. that was with a 15 front and a 42 rear sprocket.

scorry
19th July 2009, 20:16
Ive got 52.4 hp, with a tune and a Akropovic system, the pipes gave me the biggest gain to.
I can generally beat a CRF450 on the straights as well as huskys etc, fuck even beat a Aprilla SVX 550 last month at Manfeild. that was with a 15 front and a 42 rear sprocket.

oh good stuff mate, i seen on one of your vids you hit over 190k, thats impressive man, ive never seen over 180 and thats at teretonga with a 1k long straight!

gonna price me up a cam im thinking, everything is so bloody expensive tho

Quasievil
19th July 2009, 21:27
oh good stuff mate, i seen on one of your vids you hit over 190k, thats impressive man, ive never seen over 180 and thats at teretonga with a 1k long straight!

gonna price me up a cam im thinking, everything is so bloody expensive tho

Yes expensive alright.

Im starting a new website soon as a resource come racing come forum etc tool exclusively for Motards, this will give "us" a better forum to get knowledge and share info as well as trade n exchange parts etc.
Wont be far away and will announce it soon.

scorry
19th July 2009, 21:33
Yes expensive alright.

Im starting a new website soon as a resource come racing come forum etc tool exclusively for Motards, this will give "us" a better forum to get knowledge and share info as well as trade n exchange parts etc.
Wont be far away and will announce it soon.

sounds good mate, let me know when its up and running