PDA

View Full Version : Photography

Tank
4th December 2008, 08:28
Just starting out on this as a new hobby.

Got me a camera same as Big Dave's (although somehow his pics look a zillion times better than mine :doh:)

I'm buying some books and trying to find a good courses online.

Can anyone recommend good photography and photo-shop (to fix my photo's) online tutorials or books?

Marmoot
4th December 2008, 08:42
Best to keep taking as many pictures as you can. Don't have to be scenic or special. Just take them with a think on how you want them to look like.

Show them around, especially to those who can take good pictures. Get some criticism going.

They'll point you to the right direction, things you shouldn't do, and things you should try.

Criticism and people telling you how bad your pictures are would probably be the best thing in the world if you want to improve your skills.

Books are a waste of money. Free internet resources are limitless.

With skill-based activity like this, there is no substitute for practice. Lucky you living in digital age where picture snaps are free.

Cajun
4th December 2008, 09:01
pm your email address tank

i will fire you off some pdf ebooks i have.

NordieBoy
4th December 2008, 09:05
Check out www.photography-on-the.net and pop in to the forums.
There's a bunch of Kiwis there (GKPE) and tutorials on all aspects of photography.

Tank
4th December 2008, 09:39
Cheers guys!

kevfromcoro
4th December 2008, 09:46
What sort of camera are you useing?
did a phtography course a few years ago
its fun
back then it was all 35mm SLR

Skunk
4th December 2008, 10:16
...and photo-shop (to fix my photo's) online tutorials or books?
Photoshop to 'fix' photos is a bad method. Stick to learning how to take great photos to start with and then later make them spectacular in Photoshop. I had a book on photography basics but lent it to a KBer. I'll see if I can remember the title.

Tank
4th December 2008, 10:17
What sort of camera are you useing?
did a phtography course a few years ago
its fun
back then it was all 35mm SLR

Canon EOS 400D. Lots of buttons - of which I know how to use one.

Tank
4th December 2008, 10:19
Photoshop to 'fix' photos is a bad method. Stick to learning how to take great photos to start with and then later make them spectacular in Photoshop. I had a book on photography basics but lent it to a KBer. I'll see if I can remember the title.

I phrased my original comment really badly - what you are saying has been said to me before and makes perfect sense - and that is what I'm actually trying to do - she looks like a long road tho'.

Makes you appreciate the top work some of those guys do.

JMemonic
4th December 2008, 10:37
I got a great book recently as a present so I don't know where you can get it but well worth hunting out, it takes you through basics I already knew and gives you assignments as such to do at the end of each chapter then you could get those checked over by folks here or anywhere I guess.

The tile is Digital photography master class by Tom Ang, its ok DK press the isbn is 978-1-4053-1556-2.

Here is a link to the Aus web site http://www.penguin.com.au/dk/ and search photography.

3L4NS1R
4th December 2008, 10:54
Highly recommend starting out shooting only black and white, helps you develop your attention to composition, instead of instantly getting distracted by pretty colours...

Books aren't overrated. I find books waaay easier to reference and keep going back to. Also by the time things get into a book, you can be pretty sure its not junk. Unlike the net.

While its more to do with graphic design, http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ has some awesome inspirational photography posts. Really worth a look, especially because they cover very different themes in each post (water, motion, HDR etc etc.)

NordieBoy
4th December 2008, 11:57
Canon EOS 400D. Lots of buttons - of which I know how to use one.

Power ?

Tank
4th December 2008, 12:24
Power ?

Nope - Thats more of a switch.

There is a button that opens the battery compartment - I reckon I have that sorted!

AlBundy
4th December 2008, 13:05
When it comes to photography, some people just have a good eye for it.... Others have to learn...

Digital is good in that one can ream off heaps of shots and inevitably, one of them isn't half bad, lol...

I've actually been pondering getting a Nikon D70 to get back into the hobbie... I started with a Nikon F80 but digital is so much more convenient...

snodpete
4th December 2008, 13:37
Take HEAPS of photos - digis are free... At least 'til you print 'em.

I love these sites - Digital Photography School (http://www.digital-photography-school.com/blog), Luminous Landscape (http://www.luminous-landscape.com)

Sooner or later you'll need to consider sorting, cataloguing, archiving etc. (1000s of digital photos vanish every day 'cos most folk don't bother to back-up files and hard drives FAIL) - I use and recommend Adobe Lightroom (you can download a 30 day trial) for all that stuff and more.

Now you'll be torn between buying new camera gear or new bike gear...:laugh:

Looking forward to seeing some of your pix!

discotex
4th December 2008, 17:09
Step one - Learn the difference between shutter priority and aperture priority.

Step two - Learn about depth of field. Play with the extremes.

Step three - Think about getting a lens that goes to F2.8 or lower. You should understand why after 1 and 2.

Step three a - Go get the 50/1.8. It's like $140 (I'm guessing). Having a fixed focal length will make you focus on composition. Will make a great portrait lens too.

Step four - Focus on composition and what the light is doing (take photos early in the morning or at night or in the rain)

And all of this assumes you understand the basic operation of the camera e.g. where it meters the light from (should be set to spot or partial mode) and how to focus it properly.

Try to avoid massive cropping and colour correction in photoshop unless it's for a specific effect. For example sometimes I take a photo knowing I'll crop it into a square later. In other words don't use the computer as a crutch or you'll get lazy. The shit in, shit out rule always applies. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd. Etc.

discotex
4th December 2008, 17:11
Can anyone recommend good photography and photo-shop (to fix my photo's) online tutorials or books?

Or do the digital photography course at Artstation...

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/whatson/arts/artstation/photography.asp#photography

Niko14
4th December 2008, 17:29
Awesome,
I'm do a bit of photography (Certainly no master though).
my 2 cents is just to reitterate what the others have said, digital is free, take your camera everywhere and photograph everything to get your eye in.

Everything Disco said is GOSPEL

Also, If you just wanna build some skills, try limiting your scope for a while eg "today I'm only gonna photograph things in my back yard". Then try it in different light. It's easy to take interesting pictures of really extraordinary stuff - showing the usual in unsual ways is the real test.

sosman
4th December 2008, 23:07
browse yr pics with photoshop bridge(built into photoshop) & it should tell ya what yr settings were when pic was taken

Gremlin
5th December 2008, 00:12
Just take shots, learn what makes them bad, what makes them good, practise practise practise. In time, you'll quickly "know" what you need, and how to do things.

The main thing I keep getting caught out on is not paying enough attention to all subject matter in the shot, so I'll have wires or a pole in the way.

I've got the same as you, kit lenses are fine for learning. Scenery is normally pretty easy to get right, track photography is some of the hardest, due to the speed, and having to track the bike.

clmintie
5th December 2008, 17:40
I've got the same camera as you and have been playing photographer for about a year. I generally just try to please myself and if others like it... cool... Have a look at my attachments on here, gives a history lessen of how I've progressed. Lately I've started shooting in RAW and using Adobe lightroom to process, but this takes a lot of time......

Enjoy your new hobby...........

Headbanger
8th December 2008, 09:37
Just starting out on this as a new hobby.

Any chance of an example?, I'd be keen to see what sort of photo these cameras take when used by someone new to the hobby.

Only asking as I have been toying with the idea of going down the same road.

And what did you pay for the camera?, I have been looking at the Sony A300.

vifferman
8th December 2008, 09:58
I thought about getting a Canon Eos 400D or 450D, as I have an Eos 1000FN (film camera) with a couple of lenses, and a Sony Cybershot, and needed something a bit better for our vacation photos. However, I opted in the end for a Canon S5i IS, as it was lighter and more compact, still had more features than I would use, no lenses to change, and the image stabilisation was perfect for shooting shots in a hurry from the bus, or pics of moving objects. It was brilliant, and the new model is even better, with 20X optical zoom.
However, having said that, one thing I really miss with the S5i is that it doesn't seem to be able to take accessory filters. For years, first with the Olympus I used to have, and then with the Eos, I used a polarising filter a lot of the time: it cuts out the glare, and makes for much sharper pix with better colour. The rest of the time, I used a neutral UV filter or a variety of effects filters for special occasions.

Swoop
8th December 2008, 10:04
The rest of the time, I used a neutral UV filter or a variety of effects filters for special occasions.
Likewise. Much cheaper to replace a scratched UV filter than an entire lens...

Tank
8th December 2008, 10:06
Any chance of an example?, I'd be keen to see what sort of photo these cameras take when used by someone new to the hobby.

Only asking as I have been toying with the idea of going down the same road.

And what did you pay for the camera?, I have been looking at the Sony A300.

I paid $700 with a couple of spare batteries and a spare 4gb memory card.

I will post a pic this evening - but be warned - I'm crap.

NordieBoy
8th December 2008, 12:51
Likewise. Much cheaper to replace a scratched UV filter than an entire lens...

I've got 3 nice scratches from gravel on my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and havn't seen any indication they're degrading the pics yet.

Maha
8th December 2008, 12:53
Do ya do nude shots Tank?
I just this great idea for a xmas pezzie for Mom!!

Tank
8th December 2008, 13:02
Do ya do nude shots Tank?
I just this great idea for a xmas pezzie for Mom!!

Sure do - how do you want me posed?

Mom's gonna love this.

nodrog
8th December 2008, 13:04
Sure do - how do you want me posed?.....

Dangerously, with it whipped out, no HIDing!

discotex
8th December 2008, 20:26
I've got 3 nice scratches from gravel on my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and havn't seen any indication they're degrading the pics yet.

A UV filter will do wonders to remove glare and unwanted reflections but that $70 skylight filter won't do much.

In my opinion if you're not being careful enough with your lenses that you might scratch them them you're not taking enough care. If the lens is expensive enough to worry then why lower it's quality with a shit piece of glass in front?

Pedrostt500
8th December 2008, 20:30
Ive got a canon powershot G5, and Ive got no idea how to use it properly, the manual is a bit of a telephone book and not to easy to use for a simpleton like me.

NordieBoy
8th December 2008, 20:55
A UV filter will do wonders to remove glare and unwanted reflections but that $70 skylight filter won't do much.

In my opinion if you're not being careful enough with your lenses that you might scratch them them you're not taking enough care. If the lens is expensive enough to worry then why lower it's quality with a shit piece of glass in front?

The lens cap was on when I put the lens down.
It was in the camera bag when I picked the lens up though.

:Oops:

I don't take good enough pics to show the difference between a skylight and uv filter.

Skylight and cir-pol however yes :D

Headbanger
8th December 2008, 21:10
well, I just dropped $1200 on a Sony A300, Should take delivery of her by Friday.

......Wonder if this will be another expensive toy that spends most of its life stored away....:confused:

Winston001
8th December 2008, 21:18
I thought about getting a Canon Eos 400D or 450D, as I have an Eos 1000FN (film camera) with a couple of lenses, and a Sony Cybershot, and needed something a bit better for our vacation photos. However, I opted in the end for a Canon S5i IS, as it was lighter and more compact, still had more features than I would use, no lenses to change, and the image stabilisation was perfect for shooting shots in a hurry from the bus, or pics of moving objects. It was brilliant, and the new model is even better, with 20X optical zoom.

Interesting, I have a Canon EOS 35mm plus USM (high quality) zooms for it, just gathering dust. So I'm thinking of a digital Canon because you are able to place existing 35mm lenses on it. The focal length is doubled - could be fun. :mobile:Having said that, the S5i IS is a lovely camera.

........one thing I really miss with the S5i is that it doesn't seem to be able to take accessory filters. For years, first with the Olympus I used to have, and then with the Eos, I used a polarising filter a lot of the time: it cuts out the glare, and makes for much sharper pix with better colour.

That's what Picasa is for. :msn-wink:

But I agree - a polarising filter is really necessary in NZ with the amount of hard light we get. Just can't be fagged taking it on and off so when I used film, just stuck with a simple UV filter.

Now, software cleans up 50% of pics and it's great.

Winston001
8th December 2008, 21:28
well, I just dropped $1200 on a Sony A300, Should take delivery of her by Friday.

......Wonder if this will be another expensive toy that spends most of its life stored away....:confused:

Nah you'll have a heap of fun with it. Capture those two boys clambering up trees, over your bike, the possibilities are endless.

Went to a photography course years ago and the tutor had a competition-winning snap of a shaft of sunlight through storm clouds lighting up the Dunedin cathedral. Magic.

He said the shot was available for about 30 seconds - glanced, saw it, screeched to a halt, jumped out and snap. His point was - never be without your camera.

NordieBoy
8th December 2008, 21:41
Interesting, I have a Canon EOS 35mm plus USM (high quality) zooms for it, just gathering dust. So I'm thinking of a digital Canon because you are able to place existing 35mm lenses on it. The focal length is doubled - could be fun. :mobile:Having said that, the S5i IS is a lovely camera.

Focal length is 1.6x on the consumer Canon dSLR's.

Headbanger
8th December 2008, 23:48
Speaking from a position of complete ignorance in regards to photography, I found the following site useful.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/PhotographyTips.htm

discotex
9th December 2008, 16:03
Skylight and cir-pol however yes :D

Ahh yeah <_< Where I said UV in my post I mean polariser. Good spotting :niceone:

Take your point re lens cap. I have silk at the bottom of my bag for exactly that reason.

Screw on lens caps would be the best idea huh?

discotex
9th December 2008, 16:10
Now, software cleans up 50% of pics and it's great.

Not really a big deal for on-screen shots or 6x4 prints but surely if you're doing 8x10 or larger it'll be a visible difference in overall colour quality and pixel noise.

Call me a perfectionist but I think it's always best to get the best quality from camera and lens then "fix" as little as possible.

On the other hand, there is something fun about taking a photo then later totally changing it in photoshop. E.g. original was landscape but crop out a square or portrait then make it black and white or make it appear cross processed.

Headbanger
12th December 2008, 20:10
Well well well, My camera arrived today, Heavier then expected, Covered in buttons, manual is something like 126 pages, Doubt I'll ever need to read it.

Managed to take a couple shots as the light faded. Granted its not a bike, But it is plastic:2thumbsup Obviously I have reduced the size and quality substantially before uploading it.

BD, I'm ready mate, Send some of those bikes my way so I can photograph them for you, I'll fly up to Auckland and ride em down if ya want, Thats probably my preferred method anyway.

Big Dave
12th December 2008, 20:40
Let's talk further when you get the hang of image re-sizing huh :-)

NordieBoy
12th December 2008, 20:49
Let's talk further when you get the hang of image re-sizing huh :-)

One thing at a time :D

Headbanger
12th December 2008, 20:53
Nah, thats deliberate, Going for impact.

Otherwise I would have just attached a more suitably sized picture.

Gremlin
13th December 2008, 01:28
Depending on what camera you have (if you are clever like BD and I, you got the 400D :yes:) there should even be auto-settings for flash exposure, or cloudy etc shots.

The image colour is automatically adjusted, as one of the traits with a normal flash is to drain some of the colour, and the compensation puts some back in.

Big Dave
13th December 2008, 08:42
You certainly have got the gist of modern art though - the justification is more important than the composition.

Headbanger
13th December 2008, 10:14
You sure that only applies to modern art?

Granted I'm at ignorant hick, I put art experts right alongside wine experts.

They are either taking the piss, or so far up their own arses they can see their teeth.

AlBundy
13th December 2008, 11:06
You certainly have got the gist of modern art though - the justification is more important than the composition.

Sounds like a VERY polite way of saying "YOU SUCK"!

Big Dave
13th December 2008, 11:08
Sounds like a VERY polite way of saying "YOU SUCK"!

I was painting with a broader brush. Been to a gallery lately?

AlBundy
13th December 2008, 14:30
I was painting with a broader brush. Been to a gallery lately?

A what?

Big Dave
13th December 2008, 14:59
The defence rests, M'laird.

AlBundy
13th December 2008, 22:47
Hahahahahahaha...