PDA

View Full Version : If a person crashed 3 bikes in 3 weeks

FROSTY
4th December 2008, 10:05
If a person crashed 3 bikes in 3 weeks. All for aparently different reasons what advice would you offer this person?
3 Totally different bikes in 3 locations many miles appart.

nosebleed
4th December 2008, 10:09
Not much background info, but based on a number of 'assumptions' I'd say chill till the next RRRS Course and get along to it.

kiwifruit
4th December 2008, 10:11
If a person crashed 3 bikes in 3 weeks. All for aparently different reasons what advice would you offer this person?

give it up :)

Trudes
4th December 2008, 10:11
Not much background info, but based on a number of 'assumptions' I'd say chill till the next RRRS Course and get along to it.

Agreed! Stay off the road and learn to ride in a carpark.

vifferman
4th December 2008, 10:12
HTFU? (Although, this record kinda indicates they're either a Hard Man, or a f'kn persistent f'ker.)
Keep trying, they'll soon find out what the limits are / what they're doing wrong?
Get a safer hobby (like knitting, or knob polishing)?

By all accounts, Valentino Rossi did a fair amount of crashing early in his career, while finding out what the limits were, and how you could tell when you were at them.

imdying
4th December 2008, 10:16
Look how many bikes Stoner smashed in 06... and then came 07 :yes:

Usarka
4th December 2008, 10:17
On the road? kneecap him before he takes out one of my mates of family.

nodrog
4th December 2008, 10:21
....what advice would you offer this person? .....

get a taxi home from the pub.

FROSTY
4th December 2008, 10:25
Hmm so they need to just expect it as part of the learning curve then?
Hmm

Luckylegs
4th December 2008, 10:26
Other than spending so much time working on the van and "camping devices" and not on riding.... :whistle:

...Stop trying so hard

Blossom
4th December 2008, 10:26

Are they a new rider or an old hand.. Cause if a noob? send them off to the riding school.
Experienced? One has to wonder if they are pushing the limits to hard or getting careless?

ManDownUnder
4th December 2008, 10:27
Emphasising it is for their own safety - I'd have them satisfactorily explain what happened... to you.

Depending on the person they might try to fob it off with a couple of daft or preconceived reasons, but stay at it until you hear the one that clicks. Denial about how good you are on a bike is common, so is ignorance.

Both those things will also get someonee very dead so tell them to put their pride aside for a second, don't judge, offer to help, and have them cut any crap and actually explain what happened on each ocassion, and see if there's a common thread.

Root cause analysis is the thing. In a nut shell...
1) Accept nothing but the truthful answers
2) Ask "Why" 5 times.

Why did you crash - the front wheel slipped out
Why did the front wheel slip - I braked too hard
Why did you brake too hard - ... etc

imdying
4th December 2008, 10:30
Hmm so they need to just expect it as part of the learning curve then?Only if they're looking to knock Rossi off his perch.

klingon
4th December 2008, 10:30
Needs LOTS more info...

What do you mean by 'crashing'? Just falling off is way different to high-speed collision. Where did the crashes happen (onroad, offroad, in carpark?)

What is this person's riding experience? How about their attitude? Have they had any training at all or are they in teach-yourself mode?

vifferman
4th December 2008, 10:34
Hmm so they need to just expect it as part of the learning curve then?
Hmm
Depend what you mean by "crashing".
Dropping the bike at standstill or low-speed because they're getting used to the weight doesn't count. Hitting another vehicle or running off the road is bad.

portokiwi
4th December 2008, 10:35
If he/she hasnt worked out were he/she went wrong. That person needs to ask for help. I know if I came off 3 times in a week I would be thanking someone up above....
If its a bike racer then its part of the job.
Cant win races falling off. Thats when the sponsors start looking lol.

The Stranger
4th December 2008, 10:37
Needs LOTS more info...

What do you mean by 'crashing'? Just falling off is way different to high-speed collision. Where did the crashes happen (onroad, offroad, in carpark?)

What is this person's riding experience? How about their attitude? Have they had any training at all or are they in teach-yourself mode?

Come on, this is KB, who needs info to pass judgement.

Set katman and dipshit on their arse I say!

GaZBur
4th December 2008, 10:38
If this is an experienced biker - who is not in the habit of crashing it would be a real good idea to get a full medical checkup. Could be short term blackout, loss of equilibrium, disorientation etc caused by an emerging medical condition. He would probably not have an explanation for the crash if this was the case - it just happened!

FROSTY
4th December 2008, 10:54
Hmm ok One was a trailee being used on the trail. One was a lil 150 smoker and the other a 600.
All three bikes deposited the gent concerned on his backside
Of course EVERYBODY did notice that this thread was started in Rand R not the serious bike forums DIDDN'T they ??

4Ducati
4th December 2008, 10:54
Think about pre-ordering a coffin for Xmas............

FROSTY
4th December 2008, 12:24
I suggested He take up knitting but the issue being he might stab himself with a needle

Murray
4th December 2008, 12:43
Shit always happens in 3's. So he should be fine now!!!!

jim.cox
4th December 2008, 13:17

I've come off my bike at least three times in one afternoon - does that count?

MadDuck
4th December 2008, 13:26
I suggested He take up knitting but the issue being he might stab himself with a needle

Get him to take up freediving...then we can have some peace really quickly!

sinfull
4th December 2008, 13:31
I'll show him some nanna lines on sunday !

mstriumph
4th December 2008, 13:37
review your life insurance and don't buy a lotto ticket or purchase any pre-paid non-refundable holidays ....

alanzs
4th December 2008, 13:59
Sorry, you can't borrow my bike...

slofox
4th December 2008, 14:23
what advice would you offer this person?

"You're a fuckwit mate...."

Maha
4th December 2008, 14:27
Never venture back into those three locations ever again.

Finn
4th December 2008, 14:39
what advice would you offer this person?

Tell her to catch the bus.

scrivy
4th December 2008, 14:50
Tell the dude to buy a sidecar......... at least it's got training wheels..... :whistle:

FROSTY
4th December 2008, 17:11
Tell the dude to buy a sidecar......... at least it's got training wheels..... :whistle:
OMG no dude --do ya really want ANOTHER mad sidecar rider ?--ohh hang on.................:devil2:

Jiminy
4th December 2008, 17:52
Statistically, the more he crashes and the less we're at risk to crash, so keep going :clap:

Hang on, there might be a flaw here...

scrivy
4th December 2008, 20:14
OMG no dude --do ya really want ANOTHER mad sidecar rider ?--ohh hang on.................:devil2:

Mate, the more munters the better.......... :brick::thud::scratch::rofl::killingme

makes me look better..........

piston broke
4th December 2008, 20:18
i haven't read the thread yet,but,
inexperienced i'd say get a small,underpowered, bike and learn to ride on the grass and shingle before they go anywhere near the road.
if they're experienced,then they just need to mellow a bit.
off to see where this thread was heading.

ok,,, you need to say meloooow.
before someone gets hurt.