Just put this up on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68484

More to come...

Cheers
Clint

Sounds like "THE" trip, awsome pics there dude :niceone:

LB
11th February 2005, 05:20
Hi Clint640 - great write-up and great piccies - almost enough to make a girl think about getting a DR or summat - wonder how one of the Monsters would go with knobblies......????

Let us know when you post some more.

clint640
11th February 2005, 15:04
Thanks guys, it was a great trip, We're so lucky to be able to just nip across & get into so much great riding right off the boat. I think next years SI trip might have to go down to Otago - we could do a couple of weeks down there easy.

Lynda, I actually met a guy in Hanmer who was just gassing up his SV1000 to go out through the Molesworth. That road is pretty smooth right now & would be OK for an experienced rider on a roadbike, but ya wouldn't be doing 140 anywhere like ya can on a KTM. A set of supermoto tyres & you'd be good to go if they hadn't just closed it due to fire risk.
A DR250 does make a great introduction to adventure riding though. Those with roadbikes who want a taste of adventure riding can have a fun weekend riding up to Whitianga, hiring a DR250 or 650 off http://www.coromoto.co.nz & fanging around all the gravel up there for a day, then cruising home on the twisty tar.

Anyway the next installment is up on advrider, Enjoy!

Cheers
Clint

Big Dave
11th February 2005, 19:09
Just put this up on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68484

More to come...

Cheers
Clint

You are sending this to Kiwi Rider Magazine too - yes?
Do you need to know how?
bd

LB
12th February 2005, 04:42
Lynda, I actually met a guy in Hanmer who was just gassing up his SV1000 to go out through the Molesworth. That road is pretty smooth right now & would be OK for an experienced rider on a roadbike, but ya wouldn't be doing 140 anywhere like ya can on a KTM. A set of supermoto tyres & you'd be good to go if they hadn't just closed it due to fire risk.
A DR250 does make a great introduction to adventure riding though. Those with roadbikes who want a taste of adventure riding can have a fun weekend riding up to Whitianga, hiring a DR250 or 650 off http://www.coromoto.co.nz & fanging around all the gravel up there for a day, then cruising home on the twisty tar.

Anyway the next installment is up on advrider, Enjoy!

Cheers
Clint
Clint, quite a few of our mates over the years have done Molesworth on their road bikes, we've just never been down there at the right time.

Have thought from time to time of getting something like a DR250/350/650 each, but it's a matter of logistics (the gargre has already been extended to hold the two cars and four bikes, no room to make it bigger) and would also want to have a trailer, no room for that. Then there's time.....we don't really have enough of that now to do all the road riding we want to do. Also it's another three vehicles to register/warrant/insure. However when I look at your photos (and those of Oscar/4skins) it does make me think.

Part 2 is another great write up and amazing photos! I'm with Big Dave - I think you should get this to KR.

clint640
12th February 2005, 10:06
I'm flattered that you guys think it's worthy of publication, Didn't KR have an article on the Molesworth/Rainbow a while back? But I suppose if I could get a few free mags or some bike related goodies out of it they'd be welcome to it.
I'd have to check with Mike as some of the pics are his, & I could tidy up the writing & provide more/less words if required.

Cheers
Clint

Oscar
12th February 2005, 12:17
Clint, quite a few of our mates over the years have done Molesworth on their road bikes, we've just never been down there at the right time.

Have thought from time to time of getting something like a DR250/350/650 each, but it's a matter of logistics (the gargre has already been extended to hold the two cars and four bikes, no room to make it bigger) and would also want to have a trailer, no room for that. Then there's time.....we don't really have enough of that now to do all the road riding we want to do. Also it's another three vehicles to register/warrant/insure. However when I look at your photos (and those of Oscar/4skins) it does make me think.

Part 2 is another great write up and amazing photos! I'm with Big Dave - I think you should get this to KR.

Funny you should mention the Monster and Adventure riding. I was looking at (and riding) Jan's the other day and I reckon it would be pretty good off road with af ew mods...on the other hand you could just get yerself a DR.

I did have occasion to go slightly off-road on the TDM when I was down last week...

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/15456388-M.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/15456371-M.jpg

Ohh, and good effort Clint - I'll send a link to Herr McPhee at KR.

Pickle
12th February 2005, 17:14
Its an awsome trip, we did it a couple of years ago. Basically the same as you until the end of Rainbow where we diverted thru to Nelson and on to Okiwi bay for the night and some fabulous seafood. We then went out to French Pass and before heading home also went to the Portage.
This was done on 250's. The molesworth rd is actually quite an easy gravel road easily done on a road bike.
Port Underwood is a very good start to an adventure ride in the top of the South Island.
Looking forward to hearing where you went on the rest of your trip :yeah:

Jantar
12th February 2005, 17:20

I have been through molesworth a couple of times on road bikes with road tyres. It is a great trip and not too difficult. As Clint says, just a bit slower than on a dedicated off roader. Its a trip I'd recommend, and its also one of my options for my return journey after the Rusty Nuts Southern Cross Rally. That'll be on my G1200. :yeah:

Big Dave
12th February 2005, 23:58
I'm flattered that you guys think it's worthy of publication, Didn't KR have an article on the Molesworth/Rainbow a while back? But I suppose if I could get a few free mags or some bike related goodies out of it they'd be welcome to it.
I'd have to check with Mike as some of the pics are his, & I could tidy up the writing & provide more/less words if required.

Cheers
Clint

yeah, it's good stuff mate. some nice creative photography and you can string a sentence together.
Suggest you send the link to
editor@kiwirider.co.nz
and see what Mackay says.
Publisher 'Vege' has had the Adventure Rider forum open the last few times I've been in his office so they could have already seen it.
bd

zeRax
13th February 2005, 00:09
yea, big ups on the excellent pictures and great read aswell

clint640
17th February 2005, 09:15
The last installment is up on advrider now for your viewing pleasure, check the link above & enjoy.

Cheers
Clint

Lias
17th February 2005, 14:02
That looks bloody fun :-)

Ms Piggy
21st February 2005, 07:56
Sorry a belated "Wow!", thats so cool. You got to go all the cool places I couldn't go. :niceone: