PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Help?

Usarka
4th December 2008, 14:53
Don't laugh you bastards,

Due to a personal commitment I need to plant some herbs and shit tonight and wouldn't have a clue. And yes they are completely legal unfortunately.

Basil, Coriander, thyme and some other shit, aswell as an anaheim chilli plant and a swan plant to get some monarch butterflys.

Small patch of garden already has an established rosemary bush and a now-small mint plant.

Do i just bung dig a hole and bung the small plants i got from the shop into the ground or is it more involved than that?

chur.

nodrog
4th December 2008, 14:58
Don't laugh you bastards,.

bwahahahaha :Oops:

Do i just bung dig a hole and bung the small plants i got from the shop into the ground or is it more involved than that?

chur.

some water might help too bro (its thirsty work)

Rosie
4th December 2008, 15:00
Loosen the roots of the plants a little before you bung them in the ground (they will probably be in a tight pot-shaped bundle at the moment). Water the plants once you've planted them, keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks, and water them if they start to wilt, or look like they are drying out.

Usarka
4th December 2008, 15:01
some water might help too bro (its thirsty work)

Nah I have beer. Or do you mean the plants - yeah i was going to give them a tinkle after the beer.

Someone unreliable told me i had to keep the chili plant seperate otherwise it'll piss off the more chilled out herbs...... aaarggghh:Pokey:

Usarka
4th December 2008, 15:02
Loosen the roots of the plants a little before you bung them in the ground (they will probably be in a tight pot-shaped bundle at the moment). Water the plants once you've planted them, keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks, and water them if they start to wilt, or look like they are drying out.

Nice thanks. What about spacing etc, and can they all live happily together? :hug:

klingon
4th December 2008, 15:03

Due to a personal commitment I need to plant some herbs and shit tonight and wouldn't have a clue. And yes they are completely legal unfortunately.

Basil, Coriander, thyme and some other shit, aswell as an anaheim chilli plant and a swan plant to get some monarch butterflys.

Small patch of garden already has an established rosemary bush and a now-small mint plant.

chur.

Good boy *pats on head*

Basil & coriander need more water and will tolerate a bit of shade. Thyme and rosemary need full sun and slightly drier soil.

Most important thing: Only plant them up to the same level they were planted in their pots. Don't bury them too deep! Common newbie mistake, that one.

Yeah basically just plant them, water them and watch them grow. (You might also need some snail bait to stop the snails eating the basil.)

The swan plant is perennial (permanent) but all the rest of them will only live for the summer then die off and you have to plant more next year.

Hope that helps.

kiwifruit
4th December 2008, 15:03
Plant in good quality soil. I use chicken poo / mushroom compost from the local landscape supplier. The growing will be slow if the soil is empty.

fireball
4th December 2008, 15:04
a cup of shit is good for them too

Mom
4th December 2008, 15:07

chur.

Buy yourself a 50l bag of compost (you may need more depending on the size you have to cover) and cover the dirt with it. Aim to have about 5cm coverage deep. Scoop out a big enough hole for the size of the plant root ball you want to plant. Knock the herb plant out of its pottle by turning it upside down and tapping the base of the pottle. Have your hand over the top so the poor little thing does not drop on its head. Loosen the roots a little bit and then plant in the hole, firm the compost around the stem of the plant and hey presto!

Make sure the herbs are well watered before you plant them, and water them to settle them once you have them planted. This is sure fire way to suceed :yes: I once planted a herb garden by putting newspaper on the ground over the grass, topping it with a heap of compost and planting directly in the compost. Put a few bricks around to stop it from spreading out too much. Called no dig gardening, my fav :sunny:

klingon
4th December 2008, 15:07
Nice thanks. What about spacing etc, and can they all live happily together? :hug:

The thing about the chilli not playing nicely with the rest is more of a 'companion planting' principle and is probably more complicated than you need to worry about at the moment.

If there are several seedlings in one bundle you can gently tease the roots apart and space them out. Again, don't worry too much about that with herbs. The thyme will spread sideways, the coriander and basil will grow more vertically. if you leave 30 - 50cm between each kind of plant (depending on how much space you have) that should be enough.

PrincessBandit
4th December 2008, 17:00
I'm growing all my 'erbs in pots this time round (along with my salad greens) as I'm sick of the small critters which help themselves to them. I've lost track of how many basil plants have been munched before I get to use any of them! Now my medium sized pots and trays sit on free standing display shelves with slug pellets strewn artistically around and underneath said shelves so now I only have to sort out the little buggers which fly in and eat my yummy garden offerings.

rainman
4th December 2008, 18:16
Good boy *pats on head*
What she said. Mind now, growing things is kinda addictive...

all the rest of them will only live for the summer then die off and you have to plant more next year.
Naah, you can overwinter chillis if you're careful. I've got at least 4 growing back from sticks this year. Helps if they are in (decent sized) pots so you can drag them in when it gets really cold though :) But if you bought non-hybrid plants you can also save seeds, there's shitloads in every chilli.

Plant the chillis somewhere sunny, and if you want to give them some extra help, cut a disk or square of weedmat or even black plastic bag and pin it down around the base of the plants (so with the plant sticking through) to keep the soil extra warm as the evening cools.

i was going to give them a tinkle after the beer.

Not completely silly, particularly for the chilli, or tomatoes - there's good nitrogen in pee. But piss into a bucket/bottle and dilute it a bit first.

Pussy
4th December 2008, 18:47
Who you trying to impress, Usarka?

sels1
4th December 2008, 19:08
What they said.
Work the soil over a bit first with a small garden fork or turn it and break it up with a spade. A handful of General Garden Fertiliser (Buy from garden shop) worked into the soil as per instructions on packet can help if your soil is a bit deficient. But compost is good too.

Swoop
4th December 2008, 19:08
Do your watering in the evening once the direct sun has eased off. The water can penetrate the soil better that way. (Have just got in from watering my veggies...)

piston broke
4th December 2008, 20:02
i agree with mom.
if you can, don't dig the soil.if you do you just screw up all the work that the worms have done to aerate(sp)the soil and put the best stuff on the top

Usarka
5th December 2008, 09:00
Who you trying to impress, Usarka?
I couldn't impress silly putty so stopped trying years ago.

It's a "memorial" garden..... albeit a realistically sized one

McDuck
5th December 2008, 14:38
REMOVE THE MINT NOW!!!

If you leave it till tomorow bit will havetaken over!

McDuck
5th December 2008, 14:59
Also regard the digging comment ofton compaction can happen natrally. if this has happened you will need to cultivate. If you can dig the soil with your hands (given working hard) then it is fine otherwise dig it over a little.

Usarka
5th December 2008, 21:20
REMOVE THE MINT NOW!!!

If you leave it till tomorow bit will havetaken over!

Yeah that shit has some serious roots eh..... spent hours digging it out, didn't realise it was such a weed.

Next question (don't worry Mom I'll PM you if you don't read this :)) - can someone give me a complete idiots guide to pruining roses??????? The bushes are getting hooooooj and the flowers are getting browwwn.

Thanks for all the tips (bahahahahaha tips :lol:) i hope me mum would be proud.

Pedrostt500
5th December 2008, 21:32
hire a 20 ton digger, remove any thing that is not your house garage or concrete, phone Firths and plant 6 inches of concrete.
Pedros No 1 gardening tip.

Usarka
5th December 2008, 22:12
hire a 20 ton digger, remove any thing that is not your house garage or concrete, phone Firths and plant 6 inches of concrete.
Pedros No 1 gardening tip.

I like your style pedro but the landlord might not :lol:

btw - concreting all your section is illegal :sherlock: shhhhhhh

McDuck
5th December 2008, 22:19
Yeah that shit has some serious roots eh..... spent hours digging it out, didn't realise it was such a weed.

Next question (don't worry Mom I'll PM you if you don't read this :)) - can someone give me a complete idiots guide to pruining roses??????? The bushes are getting hooooooj and the flowers are getting browwwn.

Hi. Remove dead flowers and any growth that is in the way (ie grabbing you as you walk past). If you are cutting back a branch cut back to a node (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_stem). Once this is done give it a spray with copper, spraying oil (form mitor 10 etc, most have a rose forumular, follow directions) etc. A 10 doller sprayer from wherehouse is fine. Once this si done enjoy them till ither they start getting insects (aphids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid are the main ones) and little black fungial spots called black spot. once you see ither of these spray with this combo. Another insect that roses get is a insect called scale. This is a small scale ofotn on the underside of leafs. The best way to deal with this rmoving them with fingers etc and spray with e SYSTEMIC insecticide. This should say ont he packet, i can think of the name of one off hand.

Maintain the rose like this till winter. Once winter has arived you need to do the winter prune. This involves cutting the rose back to '3 buds' up form the ground on each main cane. There should be between 2 and four. When pruning be mindfull that you can 'stear' the plant by cutting to a node that is pointing in the direction you want the plant to go in. (or not go in in terms of pathways etc).
Once you have done the winter prune give it a spray with a stong dose of the above recomendations.

Another thing to remeber is the rose will flower around 65 days after pruning so if you are planning an event etc.

Any question just ask :)

klingon
8th December 2008, 09:42
Hi. Remove dead flowers and any growth that is in the way (ie grabbing you as you walk past). ...

...Maintain the rose like this till winter.

Excellent advice from McDuck. Do as he says!

The key thing here is the difference between summer pruning (little snips here and there to keep it all looking tidy) and winter pruning (where you can really cut it back hard). They serve two different purposes.

Later in the year when you're going to do your winter pruning it might be worth getting someone to demonstrate it for you and show you what you're meant to do. Do you have any elderly gardeners in your area who have nice roses? I'm sure one of them would be delighted if you asked them to show you how to prune a rose.

McDuck
8th December 2008, 16:29
Do as he says!

Im glad you changed that...

klingon
8th December 2008, 16:34
Im glad you changed that...

:o I got confused between you and that other duck... :o

McDuck
8th December 2008, 16:37
:o I got confused between you and that other duck... :o

That or you were shocked that a guy (strait guy no less) could know about roses?