PDA

View Full Version : cleaning visor

soundbeltfarm
10th February 2005, 21:11
dont want to sound like a loser but when everyone says they clean their visor with pledge.
is that a glass cleaner?
cause i thought pledge was a furniture polish.

cheers

MacD
10th February 2005, 21:27
cause i thought pledge was a furniture polish.

cheers

It is, but it still works! :banana:

madboy
10th February 2005, 21:33
that would be the yellow can i use :) goes on easy (aerosol), a bit of a pain to get off but then my technique may be dubious

Hitcher
10th February 2005, 21:52
Pledge. The best stuff you can buy to clean your visor. Orange scented is nice. Keep a can and a cloth in your tankbag or under the seat. Top product! Pledge.

jase
10th February 2005, 21:54
Go Visit you local supermarket, they have a wide variety of glass cleaners. :banana: :wari: :shake:

Hitcher
10th February 2005, 21:59
Go Visit you local supermarket, they have a wide variety of glass cleaners.
Of which Pledge is the best!

Waylander
10th February 2005, 22:02
I use the things at the petrol station that is for cage windshields, it works great to get the bugs off.:2thumbsup

madboy
10th February 2005, 22:03
Pledge. Orange scented is nice. No... LEMON flavour :angry2:

Mongoose
10th February 2005, 22:06
I use the things at the petrol station that is for cage windshields, it works great to get the bugs off.:2thumbsup

Yeah, but that thingy for wiping the excess water off hurts the nose when you do the face furniture at the gas station

zeRax
10th February 2005, 22:29
*slaps mongoose*

pledge eh, i used mr muscle, but there is some pledge in laundry cabinet too, i shall try that on this new visor O_o

Waylander
10th February 2005, 22:34
Yeah, but that thingy for wiping the excess water off hurts the nose when you do the face furniture at the gas station
That would be why you take your helmet off:niceone: Bet you clean yours with pledge while wearing it.

Blackbird
11th February 2005, 06:33
I must be the only person who doesn't use pleddge :spudwhat: Would have thought pledge could cause a bit of headlight starring at night with oncoming vehicles. Is this not the case?

I just use plain water and the occasional soapy water BUT I always use a microfibre cloth to eliminate scratching. Both visors are still perfect after 2 years.

Occasionally use Rain-X if the weather is looking grotty.

Paul in NZ
11th February 2005, 07:20
I still use my Wee Willie visor cleaner system.

It's safe for the non scratch coating, easy to carry in a pocket and I have 2 refil bottle left which will last me the next 2 years. The importer stopped bringing it in 'cos the maker demanded a minimum 500 unit order.

Warm water would be my second choice but Pledge seems to have some anti fogging ability (or so I'm told)

Paul N (foggy on a clear day)

Oscar
11th February 2005, 07:41
Pledge is good, but how many of you get sore eyes after using it?
It causes an allergic reaction in a few people (including me).

bugjuice
11th February 2005, 08:09
Pledge is good, but how many of you get sore eyes after using it?
It causes an allergic reaction in a few people (including me).
try using it on the furniture instead of your eyes.. it's more effective to clean things rather than clean your eyes and *think* things are clean..

stuff like that (altho works) can leave a smell behind in yer lid.
Why not just plain soap (or dishwashing liquid) and water? It's all I use, and does the job, and doesn't stink up too much

Oscar
11th February 2005, 08:13
try using it on the furniture instead of your eyes.. it's more effective to clean things rather than clean your eyes and *think* things are clean..

stuff like that (altho works) can leave a smell behind in yer lid.
Why not just plain soap (or dishwashing liquid) and water? It's all I use, and does the job, and doesn't stink up too much

I wasnae putting in me eyes, I was snorting it...

Anyways I use 50/50 window cleaner/water in a little squeeze bottle.

Biff
11th February 2005, 08:15
Of which Pledge is the best!

Mr H wouldn't have shares in or work for a pasrticular home care product company would he?

Holy Roller
11th February 2005, 08:29
I still use my Wee Willie visor cleaner system.

Mine has lasted for several years now only cause I forget to take it out of my draw when I go on a trip.

With all the talk about pledge I've just cleaned my visor with orange flavor pledge wipes. Only problem is that I don't wear the full face much to take advantage of the new sparkle. :wait:

Hitcher
11th February 2005, 08:45
With all the talk about pledge I've just cleaned my visor with orange flavor pledge wipes. Only problem is that I don't wear the full face much to take advantage of the new sparkle.
Don't use the wipes, use the spray. Much better finish...

Hitcher
11th February 2005, 08:46
Mr H wouldn't have shares in or work for a pasrticular home care product company would he?
I wish! S C Johnson is a family-owned business.

MacD
11th February 2005, 09:30

Soap and water is good for cleaning off the dead bugs, but Pledge fills in any small scratches and makes the visor less likely to cause starring at night. It also seems to have some anti-fogging effect.

AFAIK it's mostly just silicone-based spray, and it's cheap because it's sold in supermarkets.

Also, Orange is the best type! :niceone:

Ninja51
11th February 2005, 09:32
Me? I use a scouring pad. Works a treat!

vifferman
11th February 2005, 09:46
I must be the only person who doesn't use pleddge :spudwhat:
Nah, I don't use it - I use Plexus.

Would have thought pledge could cause a bit of headlight starring at night with oncoming vehicles. Is this not the case?
No, as Macd said, it (and Plexus) fill in the small scratches, eliminating starring.

I just use plain water and the occasional soapy water BUT I always use a microfibre cloth to eliminate scratching. Both visors are still perfect after 2 years.
Yeah, same here, but I use Plexus as well, for helping bead the water off and filling in scratches.

Occasionally use Rain-X if the weather is looking grotty.
I'd heard that it wasn't recommended for plastics? That obviously isn't the case then, if your visors are still good.

bugjuice
11th February 2005, 10:10
Me? I use a scouring pad. Works a treat!
crap, I wish I had thought about doing that.. I'm gonna go find some steelwool for those hard-to-remove bugs.. I've got some on the bike too, wonder if it'll work there.. :yeah:

Blackbird
11th February 2005, 11:15
I'll have to investigate what our local supermarket stocks.

Vifferman - you are partially right about Rain-X. Ordinary polycarbonate visors on cheaper helmets become affected by the solvent which is used as a carrying meduim for the silicon - usually go a bit milky after some time. However, the more expensive helmets use a toughened plastic such as Lexan which is unaffected.

Have a great weekend guys, I'm off to Coromandel this arvo, regrettably in the car :angry2:

zeRax
11th February 2005, 12:32
*goes and trys pledge orange scented spray on his lid*

Hitcher
11th February 2005, 13:39
Nah, I don't use it - I use Plexus.

Same stuff as Pledge. Just more expensive and spelt differently.

No, as Macd said, it (and Plexus) fill in the small scratches, eliminating starring.

So does Pledge.

Yeah, same here, but I use Plexus as well, for helping bead the water off and filling in scratches.

Yup. Pledge does that too.

soundbeltfarm
11th February 2005, 16:52
cheers people.
got me a can of the super stuff today and yes it is the bomb.
works pretty good on my visor worked well on my screen on my bike too.
anyway cheers

Jantar
12th February 2005, 06:27
For those who are still doubting Pledge: It is the one product that most glider pilots use to clean their perspex canopies. At our local flying club it is the only product that we are permitted to use on club owned aircraft. It leaves the perspex clear and sparkling. It does not scratch, and its inexpensive.

On my visor though, I carry a Wee Willie when travelling, and use everyday glass cleaner at home. I keep forgetting to pick up a can of pledge when I'm at the supermarket.

Krusti
12th February 2005, 08:02
For those who are still doubting Pledge: It is the one product that most glider pilots use to clean their perspex canopies. At our local flying club it is the only product that we are permitted to use on club owned aircraft. It leaves the perspex clear and sparkling. It does not scratch, and its inexpensive.

On my visor though, I carry a Wee Willie when travelling, and use everyday glass cleaner at home. I keep forgetting to pick up a can of pledge when I'm at the supermarket.
I've got a wee willy myself, my wife finds it usefull as well. :yeah:

Pledge is awesome, there are also Pledge wipes in Supermarket. :niceone:

Jantar
12th February 2005, 08:06
I've got a wee willy myself, my wife finds it usefull as well. :yeah:

Maybe this should have been posted on RiffRaff's sex thread. :cool:

Pickle
12th February 2005, 17:36
We carry 2 small spray pump bottles, one with soap & water to get off those really hard to move bugs & road grime and one with liquid pledge to finish off with. Can buy pledge in big bottle and fill small pump bottle which will last ages and lasts for a week long trip easy.
Been using pledge for years.

Blackbird
14th February 2005, 12:46
Just to be absolutely clear......

Are we takling about the aerosol Pledge furniture polish, or some form of Pledge cleaning product like Mr Muscle or similar?

Geoff

vifferman
14th February 2005, 12:49
Just to be absolutely clear......

Are we takling about the aerosol Pledge furniture polish, or some form of Pledge cleaning product like Mr Muscle or similar?

Geoff
Furniture polish.

Now, if you're off to buy some, make sure you buy the lemon-scented version. Just to be safe. VFR owners insist it has to be the lemon one, so it may well be that Blackbird owners are equally as fussy.

babyB
14th February 2005, 15:55
Furniture polish.

Now, if you're off to buy some, make sure you buy the lemon-scented version. Just to be safe. VFR owners insist it has to be the lemon one, so it may well be that Blackbird owners are equally as fussy.
has both problem is i never remember were i put them......thinks they should make a smaller can that fits under the seat :yeah:

Blackbird
14th February 2005, 16:24
Funny..... I thought it would have been Chardonnay-scented if you're in Auckland but I guess your impeccable taste in motorcycles overrules that consideration. I suppose that Waikato ale-scented Pledge is out of the question so lemon it is!
:2thumbsup

Geoff

toads
14th February 2005, 19:26
the other day we went on a bit of a ride up the coast, and when we got to our destination I had bugsplat all over my visor, so a trip to the public loo saw me wiping my visor with wet loo paper and then drying it with dry loo paper, honestly it's never looked so clear and sparkling, worked better than the repsol wipes!