PDA

View Full Version : The Pig Route

Carldav
8th December 2008, 07:59
My Father-in-law is coming out from the States for a few weeks at Christmas, and we're heading off around the South Island. We're starting in Chch and heading to Haast. Then we're heading to Moeraki, via Queentsown and Alexandra etc., for seafood at Fleur's. But here's the question - I was planning on heading back to Chch via Ranfurly, Naesby, and Duntroon, except I've just heard that much of this road is still unsealed (and we're on sportsbikes). Has anyone ridden it lately / live near it?

And if it is unsealed, I'm then open to suggestions for the best way home (Moeraki to Chch) for interesting roads.

Thanks - Carl

scorry
8th December 2008, 08:18
naseby to duntroon is the danseys pass and is gravel.
highly recommend the road from ranfurly to palmerston instead mate.
actually the road you really want to take is ranfurly then hang a right onto the middlemarch road then left onto the mcraes road then right again back onto the road to take you to palmerston.
awesome road that, twisty and good grip too.

scorry
8th December 2008, 08:25
heres a pic, hope that made sense

Jantar
8th December 2008, 08:33
Carldav, as Scotty said, the route you've described is the Dansey's Pass. The Pig Root is Alexandra, Ranfurly - Dunback, Palmerston. It is sealed all the way, and is the best way to get to Fleurs from Alexandra.

If you've never ridden the Pig Root then it is a must to do. The McRaes alternative is also extremely good (we're spoiled for choice in this area).

When are you coming through this way?

Carldav
8th December 2008, 08:44
Brilliant guys - thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know. Me confusing Dansey's Pass with The Pig Route explains the sealed / unsealed thing.

So we'll head North out of Moeraki for home, but I'm thinking we'll turn left at Oamaru and come up the middle (I love the road from Lake Pukaki to Geraldine). What's the road from Oamaru to Omarama like? It doesn't look great on the map.

Cheers.

Jantar
8th December 2008, 09:07
From Oamaru to Kurow is pretty straight and boring, but you can make it much more interesting by turning inland at Maheno. Take the road to 5 forks, then follow the signs to Tokarahi and Duntroon, then turn left to Kurow. This misses out most of the long straights, and takes you through parts of North Otago that most people don't even know about.

scorry
8th December 2008, 09:14
you could always go from qtwn to cromwell then over the lindis to omarama then twizel, fairlie and maybe even a detour through to mt cook?
as janatar said, far too many good roads down here to only choose one route is hard mate.
good luck

Jantar
8th December 2008, 09:19
But then they miss Fluers at Moeraki, which was their prime reason for the Pig Root.

fatzx10r
8th December 2008, 09:23
if your up queenstown way be sure to go over the crown range, that bit of road kick's arse :Punk:

scorry
8th December 2008, 09:34
But then they miss Fluers at Moeraki, which was their prime reason for the Pig Root.

ah, i missed that bit whoops

k14
8th December 2008, 11:37
And not to mention the fact that the road from Cromwell to Fairlie etc is the most boring stretch of rd in the South Isl. The scenery is second to none but the ride can be somewhat monotonous. I'd say pig route is the way to go, you'll be lucky if you see more than 10 cars the whole way to SH1.