PDA

View Full Version : NZ champ humbles Quasi

Quasievil
8th December 2008, 08:19
Had a great day at the Taupo MOTOTT trackday (thanks guys) yesterday, the plan was to check things over on the bike as I had changed the config around and the suspension setup significantly so it was a last check before the tri series.
We turn up with the whole QMOTO show early in the day and set up, I had a look around the pits to see Mr Toby Summers and Mr Steven Briggs setting up also, I thought mmmm this will be interesting, I invited Mr Summers to share our pit shed also as it was a scorcher, he passed on lots of knowledge which was great!

First session I went out slow and did a few laps came in to check everything was tight and true, and due to my master engineering skills (read luck) it was so headed out again did a few more laps and came in, bit of a non event but wanted to check all was good with the bike

Session two, plan go hard or go home, out I went in the front of the pack (motards all togther) went out hard from the gate and the bike felt fairly good though not right in the front still two laps in on the front straight Mr Summers and Mr Briggs (now warmed up) blasted past me with Mr Summers already getting the bike into a massive drift into the corner with a awesome back in (really impressive) I noticed I gained alot of ground there, I was sitting behind them for the infield but there skills and 15-20 more HP left me, I was happy however to see that theyu where only really one corner ahead of me in this session so wasnt to far behind......but I was giving it heaps.
End session two.

I took my Bike to Mr Briggs who checked a few things on the setup, tweaked this adjusted that and he said that should be better........well it was much much better.

Session three
Went out behind the champs to try and learn a bit which was good, these guys where going way harder than me this time and after 15 mins where about half a lap on me, but thats fine I wanted to check out the bike, it was much more planted in the front and settled in the rear a big difference for sure, I was a happy chappy and with that in mind I came in and packed up knowing Im now soughted for the tri series !

Big thanks to MOTOTT for the day as well as Mr Steven Briggs and Mr Toby Summers.

Now bring it on....................im ready

shit scared but ready lol
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Kornholio
8th December 2008, 08:27
Had a great day at the Taupo MOTOTT trackday (thanks guys) yesterday, the plan was to check things over on the bike as I had changed the config around and the suspension setup significantly so it was a last check before the tri series.
We turn up with the whole QMOTO show early in the day and set up, I had a look around the pits to see Mr Toby Summers and Mr Steven Briggs setting up also, I thought mmmm this will be interesting, I invited Mr Summers to share our pit shed also as it was a scorcher, he passed on lots of knowledge which was great!

First session I went out slow and did a few laps came in to check everything was tight and true, and due to my master engineering skills (read luck) it was so headed out again did a few more laps and came in, bit of a non event but wanted to check all was good with the bike

Session two, plan go hard or go home, out I went in the front of the pack (motards all togther) went out hard from the gate and the bike felt fairly good though not right in the front still two laps in on the front straight Mr Summers and Mr Briggs (now warmed up) blasted past me with Mr Summers already getting the bike into a massive drift into the corner with a awesome back in (really impressive) I noticed I gained alot of ground there, I was sitting behind them for the infield but there skills and 15-20 more HP left me, I was happy however to see that theyu where only really one corner ahead of me in this session so wasnt to far behind......but I was giving it heaps.
End session two.

I took my Bike to Mr Briggs who checked a few things on the setup, tweaked this adjusted that and he said that should be better........well it was much much better.

Session three
Went out behind the champs to try and learn a bit which was good, these guys where going way harder than me this time and after 15 mins where about half a lap on me, but thats fine I wanted to check out the bike, it was much more planted in the front and settled in the rear a big difference for sure, I was a happy chappy and with that in mind I came in and packed up knowing Im now soughted for the tri series !

Big thanks to MOTOTT for the day as well as Mr Steven Briggs and Mr Toby Summers.

Now bring it on....................im ready

shit scared but ready lol
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Nice one Q and cheers again for the use of your pit shed and air pump :sunny:

slowpoke
8th December 2008, 09:18
Aaaaah, ain't it great when you feel like you are getting somewhere? Sounds like you've got a good handle on the one lunger now. Cool to meet some of the guns too, and even better to find they are good blokes.

See ya at the Tri-Series, I'll be battling with ya to get to the dunnies for that 12th nervous wee before the first race.

kiwifruit
8th December 2008, 09:26
You were going really well man. Those guys are impressive alright :eek5:

AlBundy
8th December 2008, 11:54
Sounds like you had a really good day. Days like that make it all worth it...

t3mp0r4ry nzr
9th December 2008, 07:29
Is Summers still on Yamaha? What was Briggs running?
How much horsepower do you reckon ya need to keep up with these boys on the straights?

Quasievil
9th December 2008, 07:46
Is Summers still on Yamaha? What was Briggs running?
How much horsepower do you reckon ya need to keep up with these boys on the straights?

Briggs on a KTM 450 smr and Summers still on the Yamaha
I need about 8 hp via a akropovic to get the speed I need,and a hell of a lot more skill on the corners

007XX
9th December 2008, 07:52
You go you good thang!! :Punk:

Awesome to know you're having fun mate.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
9th December 2008, 08:13
Briggs on a KTM 450 smr and Summers still on the Yamaha
I need about 8 hp via a akropovic to get the speed I need,and a hell of a lot more skill on the corners

good on ya man!
what dyno numbers u pulling?
have you had it rejetted?

Quasievil
9th December 2008, 08:43
good on ya man!
what dyno numbers u pulling?
have you had it rejetted?

the dyno run I did gave me 45.4 at the rear, thats about 15 odd less than the competition so a Akropovic is the solution, its the $1500 thats the problem.

Yes re jetted and needled with a performance kit.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
10th December 2008, 06:49
Wow, 60hp from a thumper is pretty serious!
were you racing at round 1 PMMC? running 2nd (race 2 I think?) behind another KTM?

jrandom
10th December 2008, 07:14
Good shit Bret!

Did you get any of your lap times for Track 2?

Quasievil
10th December 2008, 07:33
Wow, 60hp from a thumper is pretty serious!
were you racing at round 1 PMMC? running 2nd (race 2 I think?) behind another KTM?

No I didnt do the pmcc, saving the bike and coin for the tri series, which will be great

Quasievil
10th December 2008, 07:34
Good shit Bret!

Did you get any of your lap times for Track 2?

Nah didnt mate, I think I was going fairly quick though with the imnprovements made

Devil
10th December 2008, 12:03
So annoyed that I couldn't make it. Had to pull out because of work. Really wanted to do track 2 for the first time taking the KTM on the track. Need to get used to it and sort the suspension out.

GRRR @ WORK! (or GRRR @ workmates who dont want to help out).

speedpro
10th December 2008, 15:47
I've had a good look at Mr Summers flying round the Mt Wellington kart track. Very impressive skills, great bike, and nice guy as well.

EXCDirt
11th December 2008, 13:58
I've watched Mr summers there aswell. He is the man on the slide in!
I want to get my bike on the track so I can see how scary it really is!
When is the next motard freindly track day at taupo?
I have a Rmz450 07. With both dirt and motard wheels.
Been on the dirt twice with it and have started getting used to it but it's probably a bit fast for me to give it the thrash on the seal yet?

Maybe I should just take some concrete pills and harden up!!!????

AlBundy
12th December 2008, 01:39
I've watched Mr summers there aswell. He is the man on the slide in!
I want to get my bike on the track so I can see how scary it really is!
When is the next motard freindly track day at taupo?
I have a Rmz450 07. With both dirt and motard wheels.
Been on the dirt twice with it and have started getting used to it but it's probably a bit fast for me to give it the thrash on the seal yet?

Maybe I should just take some concrete pills and harden up!!!????

Depends on what you are used to riding really...

Backing it in is no way near as easy as it looks. Maybe if one had more of a dirt background, it may help. Otherwise, just go out and have fun shredding tyres.

Also, like Quasie said, sliding on bigger tracks isn't fast. So, depends on what your mission will be... Fast or fun?