PDA

View Full Version : GS500 K1 Review

Pwalo
11th February 2005, 10:02
I guess that this is really more of an update as I have already put in a review of my previous '97 GS500E.

The 2001 GS (hence K1) is the first significant update of the GS500. Changes included:

-new body work - new larger sculpted tank, and new tail/seat unit - similar to the Bandit.

-uprated forks with longer springs.

-larger carbs

-newer switch gear and push/pull throttle

There are no other changes to the frame or engine so dimensions remain the same:

Wheelbase 1405mm
Seatheight 790mm
Weight 175kg
Ground clearance 145mm
Steering head angle/trail 25degrees/95mm

These changes are pretty minor, but they add up to make the K1 a much better all round bike than the earlier GS models.

The uprated forks are a definite improvement, and don't bottom out when braking or riding on rougher surfaces (most NZ roads).

The new carbs are a huge improvement over the earlier jobbies. The earlier GS500s tended to run very lean off idle, and took forever to warm up. This is not a problem with the K1, and driveability is much better. If you don't snap open the throttle you can pull away cleanly from 2.5k in most gears.

The new body work is also a step forward. It adds a more up to date look to the bike, and the new seat is wider and more comfortable. Ergonically it feels closest to Honda's 600 Hornet (that's got to be a good thing).

Some things don't change however. It's still got the same GS400 derived air cooled, two valves per cylinder lump. I guess you could say that this is both a disadvantage, and a plus.

It's not very powerful, but it's tough as anything, well sorted, easy to ride in any condition, and very economical (mid 60s mpg). It's still faster than any car off the line, and much more fun. Maintenance is very simple, and servicing costs are very reasonable. No water cooling, fairing etc.

Suprisingly the K1 and later GS500s have got some really good reviews in a range of magazines, including Two Wheels (K1 & 500F), Ride (K1), and CycleWorld (K2).

Since this is my second GS (after having my '97 written off) I have to admit to really liking the little beast. I know that it's not the fastest bike, but it handles well, sees off the cagers, and lets me have a lot of cheap entertainment (did I mention that the GS is cheap to buy, and insure).

vifferman
11th February 2005, 10:06
Good review, Pwalo. :niceone:

jrandom
11th February 2005, 10:28
Hmmm. Sounds eminently practical.

Almost makes me want one.

moko
13th February 2005, 01:57
We`ve just got the new "F"model in the U.K. with a full fairing,looks pretty neat.One of the few air-cooled road bikes still around now we`ve got the new euro noise/emission regs.

White trash
13th February 2005, 13:17
Pwalo, was your old machine a red one with a Givi style front fairing?

Pwalo
13th February 2005, 20:18
Pwalo, was your old machine a red one with a Givi style front fairing?

Hey WT. No my old GS was black,charcoal frame/wheels with a Givi A755 fairing, hagon rear shock.

Shame it was written off, but just not economic to fix. Smashed off the alternator cover, right footpeg and mounting, scraped fairing, broken bars, but the clincher was the crankshaft wobble you could see by eye when you hit the starter button.

Bugger, bugger, bugger!!!!

PS. I see in one of your other posts that your moving to Newlands. That's scaringly close to Paparangi.

White trash
14th February 2005, 15:23
PS. I see in one of your other posts that your moving to Newlands. That's scaringly close to Paparangi.

Paparangi appears to be the subburb of choice for more than a few KBers. Nothin' scary about us though, more likely people will be laughing at the idiots in the matching leathers on the matching Gixxers.

jrandom
14th February 2005, 15:29
Paparangi appears to be the subburb of choice for more than a few KBers. Nothin' scary about us though, more likely people will be laughing at the idiots in the matching leathers on the matching Gixxers.

And, hey, you know, if you don't manage to talk the IRD into going soft and pulling out, and have to sell the gixxer, I hear those GS500s are lovely little bikes for the discerning commuter. :2thumbsup

White trash
14th February 2005, 15:50
And, hey, you know, if you don't manage to talk the IRD into going soft and pulling out, and have to sell the gixxer, I hear those GS500s are lovely little bikes for the discerning commuter. :2thumbsup

Mate, if it has two wheels and an engine, I can stunt it. I'm happy as a pig in shit on one wheel.

However, I already have a lovely commuter, nice lil' CG125 of 1986 vintage. Magic stuff!

Grumpy
14th February 2005, 18:30
I'm with you on this one Pwalo. I bought a GS500 a couple of years ago.
I got it to use as a commuter but have found that it is a pretty useful bike for most things. Did the run from Auckland to Napier and back recently and apart from running out of breath on the big hills it was a hell of a lot more comfy than the Z1000. Found that you can really annoy the hell out of the fellas on the big bikes in the windies too.

I would rate it as one of the best value for money bikes that I've owned. :2thumbsup

jrandom
14th February 2005, 18:35
CG125

The One True Motorcycle!

[Makes Sign of the Holy Pushrods]

Pwalo
15th February 2005, 09:05
I'm with you on this one Pwalo. I bought a GS500 a couple of years ago.
I got it to use as a commuter but have found that it is a pretty useful bike for most things. Did the run from Auckland to Napier and back recently and apart from running out of breath on the big hills it was a hell of a lot more comfy than the Z1000. Found that you can really annoy the hell out of the fellas on the big bikes in the windies too.

I would rate it as one of the best value for money bikes that I've owned. :2thumbsup

I think you summed it up pretty well Grumpy. The GS is a actually a pretty good all rounder, and with a decent set of rubber is no slouch on the handling front.

I think if I do get around to getting a bigger bike (like the look of the Z750) I might keep the GS as a week day weapon. Perhaps when the boys leave home, and we've finished paying for their education.