PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre supplier (chch) ?

TwoSeven
11th February 2005, 16:29
Hey folks,

I'm in the process of designing the new fairing for my bike. Part of this is planning materials and costs.

Does anyone know if who sells carbon fibre supplies in chch. Not interested in the kits, need sheets of the stuff.

Jinx3d
11th February 2005, 16:40
Dunno about chch, but High modulus in Auck courier to your door. I have used them b4 and they were fine for me. You might want to give them a ring, I think that some resins work better than others with epoxy and kevlar, tricky stuff to wet out, if you want a true strong carbon structure you may need to go to vacuum bagging.

Check out there website, http://www.highmodulus.co.nz/default.asp

カワサキキド
11th February 2005, 19:13
The boat building supplies store, where my brother bought his fibreglass from, said they can get the stuff in. I'll find out the name when he gets home.

I'm going to make up some fibreglass fairings for mine, before I have a go with the carbon fibre. I'll be able to use the fibreglass ones as moulds.

Tell me when you've done some, I'ld be interested in seeing how well they turn out.

Kickaha
11th February 2005, 19:29
Nuplex
14 Iverson Terrace

We used to buy all the stuff from them for doing our Kart Fairings

www.nuplexcomposites.co.nz

TwoSeven
11th February 2005, 20:50
cheers for that, i'll check em out at some stage.

cowpoos
13th February 2005, 09:38
Jolity design and manufacturing
custom carbon-kevlar race car parts,etc
14e tanya st ph 025331634 or a/h 3842714

Combattant de Rue
17th February 2005, 22:50
Are you going to design a completely new fairing or just use your old fairing as a mould?

TwoSeven
18th February 2005, 08:45
Design ?

Nope - I'm just choosing my own shapes (from memory) and some pictures I have of different shapes.

I'm also using the cheap hack student budget method of doing the moulds - currently working on the seat unit first as its the easy one, then will do the rear mud/chain guard.

Going to be doing glass fibre as well, partly because I know how to do that and also its the cheapest way of getting a faring and easy to patch if I break it somehow.

Combattant de Rue
18th February 2005, 13:50
What are you going to make the initial mould out of? You need to lay the fibre on/in something that holds the shape. Do you have any progress photos of the seat?

I noticed you are from chch -Are you at canty uni?

Dodgyiti
18th February 2005, 14:03
Good info folks,
I might buy some and have a go at making a few simple little things like a battery box to start with as its not seen.
I can work with fibreglass, even though I am really allergic to it- is carbon fibre any more complex.
I have searched the library and found nothing on the subject.
Perhaps someone knows if there is any how too's on the web???

Combattant de Rue
18th February 2005, 15:10
Good info folks,
I can work with fibreglass, even though I am really allergic to it- is carbon fibre any more complex.
I have searched the library and found nothing on the subject.
Perhaps someone knows if there is any how too's on the web???

Dunno about chch, but High modulus in Auck courier to your door. I have used them b4 and they were fine for me. You might want to give them a ring, I think that some resins work better than others with epoxy and kevlar, tricky stuff to wet out, if you want a true strong carbon structure you may need to go to vacuum bagging.

Check out there website, http://www.highmodulus.co.nz/default.asp

Dodgyiti,

Are you sure you are allergic to the Fibreglass? Could it be the type of resin that you were using?

Coyote
18th February 2005, 15:17
Design ?

Nope - I'm just choosing my own shapes (from memory) and some pictures I have of different shapes.

I'm also using the cheap hack student budget method of doing the moulds - currently working on the seat unit first as its the easy one, then will do the rear mud/chain guard.

Going to be doing glass fibre as well, partly because I know how to do that and also its the cheapest way of getting a faring and easy to patch if I break it somehow.
Let us know how you do it and how it turns out. I'ld be interested in doing it myself :yes:

Maybe some stealth fighter like fairings to deflect cop radar beams :yeah:

Dodgyiti
18th February 2005, 16:01
I get a bad reaction to the strands, and Pink Bats and fibreglass that has lost the top resin coat
Red welts on the skin that touched it that ich like crazy and take a week or so to go away, like bee stings sorta

TwoSeven
18th February 2005, 18:36
I will be making my own moulds - currently I am still experiementing with materials. Here is the progress so far.

Chicken mesh - is really good to get a shape with. But you need to buy the really tough stuff or it wont hold the weight of anything you put on it.

I've also found that you need to break everything down into small panels or it collapses under the weight. So my seat unit is two side panels, one seat bit, and the dove tail behind.

Exagerate the shape as when you paper mache over the top it will lose some form. Wait for it to dry then put on some more layers. Use very small chunks of paper and wall paper paste. Once this drys you can no longer bend the chicken wire.

Plaster of paris is a pain - it sets too fast. I shall try with some washing up liquid to stop it setting. You also need a flat putty knife to apply it with. Its also $6 for a kg bag that does a thin layer over a whole seat unit. This is what you will detail to add the final shape to.

Ducts are a pain in the preverbial to build into the design.

And dont anyone suggest I do it proper and use a clay mould. There is a reason fairings cost $1k each. I'm a cheap assed poly student who can only afford $10/wk on this project :)

gav
18th February 2005, 21:03
You've been watching the John Britten video again , haven't you?

Combattant de Rue
18th February 2005, 22:11
At the moment, im working on a custom tail for my kawa.... I wanted to use High Density Foam for a core material, but i cant seem to find a supplier in chch. At the moment I have some huge blocks of High Density polystyrene that im sculpting into a mould. Im going to have to cover it in glad wrap or something before applying the resin though (as it reacts). Maybe i'll try the plaster of paris ??

If you want to try the ploystyrene, you can get it from polycut here in chch (near to Couplands on the way to Hornby). Please keep me informed on how it goes. :niceone:

TwoSeven
19th February 2005, 08:35
You've been watching the John Britten video again , haven't you?

lol. I must be the only one that thinks the britten is a pile of shite. Even when I first saw them driving it around ruapuna testing the thing.

Foam blocks, now thats an idea, how much to they cost and what tool do you use to cut them, or can you just use a small saw and sand paper ?

Combattant de Rue
19th February 2005, 13:22
I wasnt able to find a foam supplier in New Zealand.... if you find one, please let me know.

Kickaha
19th February 2005, 15:56
If you use polystyrene a hotwire cutter is a good tool for shaping the bigger bits

Coyote
19th February 2005, 17:09
TwoSeven, are you taking photos of your progress so far? Also how hard and costly has it been? Interested in doing the same myself now

TwoSeven
19th February 2005, 22:16
no photos yet, but will take some when I stop buggering things up.

Total costs so far.

$15 chicken mesh
$6 wire
$7 wall paper paste
$1 news paper
$6 plaster
$8 beer.

Mistakes made so far is discovery process.

Didnt buy strong enough mesh - so had to stitch it with wire to make stronger and break design into small panels.

Beer ran out.

Need to use small bits of paper in paper mache. Hence I like the idea of using solid foam blocks. Much easier to do as you just cut down to shape. Rather than having to piss about building up to shape.

Coyote
20th February 2005, 10:01
What do you buy carbon fibre as? Does it come in sheets or do you have to weave it yourself?

TwoSeven
20th February 2005, 12:01
Carbon fibre and fibre glass are pretty much the same stuff.. One has glass fibres the other has carbon fibres. You can also get alloy fibre and iron fibre and kevlar fibre (although probably not in NZ).

Otherwise known as glass re-enforced plastic and carbon re-enforced plastic. The latter is lighter than the former but more expensive (hence I am trying with the former first). The strength comes from the size of the fibres - so each can be made as strong as the other (although I would just buy whatever is cheap and nasty).

It comes in sheets and you need to buy the resin - not sure if the latter comes in two part or ready made - the fibreglass i've used before has always been two part.

Mitre 10 sell fibreglass sheets in kits (although I havent checked the price tag on it).

I also wouldnt bother with it until you have good moulds made or you will be chucking money in the bin.

On the subject of moulds - it was pointed out to me that surfboard shops may know how to get hold of the foam stuff - its what they use to make surfboards.

カワサキキド
20th February 2005, 22:31
$8 beer.

How many beers do you get for $8?

TwoSeven
21st February 2005, 12:59
Half dozen 330ml CDs the other day. Although Rheineck or whatever is $5.60 odd but too crap to drink.

Kickaha
21st February 2005, 18:07
What do you buy carbon fibre as? Does it come in sheets or do you have to weave it yourself?

You can buy it in sheets,I've seen some guys buy it like that and make a RC car chassis out of it

Coyote
22nd February 2005, 15:39
You can buy it in sheets,I've seen some guys buy it like that and make a RC car chassis out of it
Well if it's in sheets, what about the curves of the mould, won't there be those bumps where it sort of folds into itself, or something :unsure:
Also, can you mould 2 sheets together so it looks like a single sheet?
Am I making sense?

Kickaha
22nd February 2005, 19:44
Well if it's in sheets, what about the curves of the mould, won't there be those bumps where it sort of folds into itself, or something :unsure:
Also, can you mould 2 sheets together so it looks like a single sheet?
Am I making sense?

When I said in sheets I mean preformed flat sheets about 5mm thick so no you cannot bend them

gav
23rd February 2005, 17:42
Any idea what they would be worth? Hmmm, carbon heel guard, licence plate hanger etc :niceone:

TwoSeven
23rd February 2005, 18:02
What we need is a boat builder to be converted to motorcycle enthusiasm. :)

Kickaha
23rd February 2005, 19:03
Any idea what they would be worth? Hmmm, carbon heel guard, licence plate hanger etc :niceone:

I'll find out where they got it from and get back to you

Coyote
24th February 2005, 17:03
I'm confused to how you are actually making these fairings. Is the CF like a roll of farbric that you put over the mould or something? And is the resin used to set the CF into shape?

TwoSeven
24th February 2005, 18:00
yes.

I suggest you use google and look up some sites that explain how to make moulds. There are quite a few howto sites around. :)

Eurodave
2nd March 2005, 08:54
Hey there, Check my profile & if your in CHCH give me a bell on 0274225430 or 03 3492237, I'll be able to help,Cheers, Dave

Combattant de Rue
5th March 2005, 12:59
Hey there, Check my profile & if your in CHCH give me a bell on 0274225430 or 03 3492237, I'll be able to help,Cheers, Dave

Hows it going Dave? I dont suppose you have access to high density foam by any chance? Im building my tail section but it is harder than it appears - Do you do much in the way of making moulds? If so, what technique do u use?

TwoSeven
5th March 2005, 17:46
I've been thinking about the foam bit as well. But i'm sticking with chicken wire for the moment.

Every time I fashion a design for a shape I like, it shows up things that I need to do to the bike. Currently I've had to relocate the CDI under the seat (i'll have to make a carrier bracket for it), the Reg/Rect has to move, but requires a duct for airflow, and I need to relocate my water overflow reservior to the rear of the engine.

Other things are the seat width at the front is 130mm and 170mm at the rear, the duct tail cant be wider than the front fairing, and I'd really like to change the ange of the frame the seat is mounted to.

All that from just trying to design a seat unit. Heavns knows what will happen when I try my hand at the rear hugger.

Coyote
5th March 2005, 17:50
See, all that just sounds too complicated for a youngun like me

Maybe if I got an AX, I wouldn't have to worry about cocking things up

Combattant de Rue
5th March 2005, 21:32
I've been thinking about the foam bit as well. But i'm sticking with chicken wire for the moment.

Every time I fashion a design for a shape I like, it shows up things that I need to do to the bike. Currently I've had to relocate the CDI under the seat (i'll have to make a carrier bracket for it), the Reg/Rect has to move, but requires a duct for airflow, and I need to relocate my water overflow reservior to the rear of the engine.

Other things are the seat width at the front is 130mm and 170mm at the rear, the duct tail cant be wider than the front fairing, and I'd really like to change the ange of the frame the seat is mounted to.

All that from just trying to design a seat unit. Heavns knows what will happen when I try my hand at the rear hugger.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I started after i lowsided and lost a foot peg. When i was getting the foot peg repaired, i decided to hack into my fairing- the result was a bikini piece and a street fighter style headlight (which has been taken off altogether cos i want to redo it). Then I moved onto the tail- stripping back the tail fairing, then getting pissed off with the seat angle. So i took to the Sub-frame with the hacksaw. (And thats only the big stuff.)

Now my baby is in piece... I dont have the cash for a much needed welder (since uni just started)... And I cant ride her :shit:

Carefully consider the amount of work it is going to take before you go too far like me :no: I think I was a little over ambitious

Combattant de Rue
5th March 2005, 21:35
.... The chicken wire idea sounds good. Might give it a go. Do you have any pics of your progress?

TwoSeven
6th March 2005, 07:32
Not at the moment. Everytime I get to a stage where I think its ok, I pull it to bits and start again. But I'm not really in a hurry I have all year to mess around with it.

Eurodave
6th March 2005, 08:13
In my over 15 years experience as a bike 'glasser in my business 'Euroglass", I now beleive that it much faster,cheaper,easier to start with something that is close to the shape you are after & modify it to suit. I have thousands{many many years of work!!!} of molds, mostly of bears bikes, quite a few one offs & a smattering of jappas. I suggest you post a drawing/pic & then we can find something close. I have done the "glass over foam/chicken wire /plaster of paris thing & it is A LOT of fagging about!!!

Coyote
26th March 2005, 21:50
Isn't it about time for a update on progress?

TwoSeven
26th March 2005, 23:25
Aint done that much. I came up with a tail unit design I liked, then decided to rework the electrics on the bike because I didnt like the current setup, then I started porting and polishing a cylinder head - have exams now, so had to put the bike aside.

Next I have to work out how to make ducts, because I need an air vent in the tail unit to cool the rectifier, but the tail unit is inside the fairing width so will need to be a low pressure duct. Dont really know much about them presently.