PDA

View Full Version : Multiple audio devices?

DougieNZ
10th December 2008, 13:36
Hi All. Sorry if this has appeared on here before, but I did do a search.

Is there a device you can buy that will allow you to run multiple audio devices at the same time? ie you can pug your iPod, Radar detector and phone in to the same device and have 1 output set of ear plugs?

For example if i want to play an iPod and then have the radar detector cut over the top if an alert comes in? What about a phone call?

Any help appreciated.

bungbung
10th December 2008, 13:45
Yep, it's called a car

Kiwifire72
10th December 2008, 14:33
Blue Ant Blue Tooth device
search for it

NinjaNanna
10th December 2008, 14:40
here's your answer (http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/linesum.html) just use 3.3 ohm resistors not 10k ohms

or use a proper bike intercom system (http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68&zenid=e3040129462eb9ed9c2ccb6661828bda) with the appropriate inputs.

Gremlin
11th December 2008, 00:51
Yep, sounds like you are after Baehr. Comes in different levels, say two devices all the way up to about 5, then extra kit if you want comms with a pillion etc.

Baehr isn't too cheap, but Challenger Motors is also a good company (He does the comms work on the police bikes)

GTRMAN
11th December 2008, 21:28
have a look at the starcom1 unit, sparxfly sell them in nz. best value for money around at the mo in my opinion.

Road Guardian
20th December 2008, 11:30
Yep, it's called a car

So true, partially the reason why we get on a motorbike is to get away from things like phones, music, kids, GPS, etc etc

There must be a simple audio input-output device selector, try DSE.

Mattzxr750
31st December 2008, 13:32
here's your answer (http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/linesum.html) just use 3.3 ohm resistors not 10k ohms

or use a proper bike intercom system (http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68&zenid=e3040129462eb9ed9c2ccb6661828bda) with the appropriate inputs.

Whats the reason for the 3.3 ohm instead of the 10K ohm?

NinjaNanna
5th January 2009, 15:07
Whats the reason for the 3.3 ohm instead of the 10K ohm?

Impedance matching.

The circuit as shown on the website is for mixing signals prior to feeding them to an amplifier. Amplifier inputs are very high impedance so 10,000 Ohms (10K) is a good number.

Headphones on the other hand are low impedance (around 16-32 ohms). If you were to use 10,000k then firstly the circuit would pull sfa current to drive the headphones and secondly the majority of the "power" would be dissapated by the resistor not the headphone speaker. End result no volume.

By using 3.3 ohms you get around both of these problems.

Mattzxr750
6th January 2009, 15:29
Impedance matching.

The circuit as shown on the website is for mixing signals prior to feeding them to an amplifier. Amplifier inputs are very high impedance so 10,000 Ohms (10K) is a good number.

Headphones on the other hand are low impedance (around 16-32 ohms). If you were to use 10,000k then firstly the circuit would pull sfa current to drive the headphones and secondly the majority of the "power" would be dissapated by the resistor not the headphone speaker. End result no volume.

By using 3.3 ohms you get around both of these problems.

ahh, i see. Thanks

Nasty
6th January 2009, 16:18
Nolan helmit with bluetooth.

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 10:54
do you need so many devices?
forget the ipod, listen to engine.
radar detector, put big red light next to your engine warning light (that'll get your attention
mobile phone (why the hell when you have just escaped all the bs would you want someone phoning you to tell you all about it)

see i just saved you $350 or time wiring up resistors

NinjaNanna
9th January 2009, 11:07
just found this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=196754393&rewritten=true) could be right up the "normal" persons alley

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 13:57
wont work, you cant connect different outputs all together and expect harmony. thats a 1 in 5 out. 5 in 1 out will blow something. Question for poster #1, is cell and radar bluetooth?

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 13:57
or how about 2 devices, 1 in each ear?

NinjaNanna
12th January 2009, 08:44
wont work, you cant connect different outputs all together and expect harmony. thats a 1 in 5 out. 5 in 1 out will blow something. Question for poster #1, is cell and radar bluetooth?

I wondered about that but the description specifically says

Or, add another iPod to mix songs and listen together

Swoop
12th January 2009, 14:06
Nolan helmit with bluetooth.
Would that be German?

forkoil
12th January 2009, 14:13
just found this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=196754393&rewritten=true) could be right up the "normal" persons alley
This device works just fine, just back from 2 wks in Sth Isl using one of these with ipod and radar detector in, and earphones out, works a treat! Collectively saved our bacon in our group with 3 using these, many many successful detections and all day music, perfect.

Nasty
12th January 2009, 15:07
Would that be German?

No I think you will find its italian ...

Gremlin
16th January 2009, 01:50
Question for poster #1, is cell and radar bluetooth?
Don't know of any radar that is bluetooth out of the box, but you can get add-ons to make it bluetooth.

Depends on your budget. I just did a 13 day South Island Trip. The bike was fitted up with a Baehr Verso XL unit, with radar on primary, uhf radio (for bike to bike, using push to talk) on secondary, and then the GPS on the 3rd input.

Worked a treat, super reliable, but you don't get change out of a couple of k, and a complex set up with installation, probably kiss goodbye to 3k.

Problem with bluetooth is battery life. Bluetooth figures for helmet units I have seen listed around 7 hours, and honestly, that just isn't enough. Sure, with the baehr you have a cable from the seat area to your helmet, but there are no batteries, unless you're using a uhf radio, and it should get 36+ hours, depending on model etc. Basically, I found a radio good for 3 full days, and carried a 2nd, charging whichever one overnight.

If you use a zumo 550 gps, and your phone has bluetooth, you should be able to sync them, and let the gps handle the phone, but not too sure. I deliberately haven't bothered to hook the phone into the system. Riding means no talking on phone :ride:

gixxer-king
21st January 2009, 18:10
Don't know of any radar that is bluetooth out of the box, but you can get add-ons to make it bluetooth.

Depends on your budget. I just did a 13 day South Island Trip. The bike was fitted up with a Baehr Verso XL unit, with radar on primary, uhf radio (for bike to bike, using push to talk) on secondary, and then the GPS on the 3rd input.

Worked a treat, super reliable, but you don't get change out of a couple of k, and a complex set up with installation, probably kiss goodbye to 3k.

Problem with bluetooth is battery life. Bluetooth figures for helmet units I have seen listed around 7 hours, and honestly, that just isn't enough. Sure, with the baehr you have a cable from the seat area to your helmet, but there are no batteries, unless you're using a uhf radio, and it should get 36+ hours, depending on model etc. Basically, I found a radio good for 3 full days, and carried a 2nd, charging whichever one overnight.

If you use a zumo 550 gps, and your phone has bluetooth, you should be able to sync them, and let the gps handle the phone, but not too sure. I deliberately haven't bothered to hook the phone into the system. Riding means no talking on phone :ride:

wow thats alot of dollars spend, for that i would have bought a gps, a bluettoth headset and spent the rest on any tickets for $180 i encountered

Gremlin
22nd January 2009, 03:09
wow thats alot of dollars spend, for that i would have bought a gps, a bluettoth headset and spent the rest on any tickets for $180 i encountered
got the gps (wired into the comms), bluetooth headsets don't have the kind of battery life I need... and I have already paid enough in fines in the past... so the radar detector is also wired into the comms.

Couple the radar detector with the gps' knowledge of camera locations and common hiding places, and you have a decent knowledge of lands you rarely ride :2thumbsup