PDA

View Full Version : Signals

Big Dog
18th September 2003, 00:56
Hi all just thought this link may be an interesting conversation starter about better communications when on group rides.:niceone:

Any comments?
Do we already have some signals I just don't know about?

Signals (http://www.visi.com/~dalebor/group.htm)

some other interesting if somewhat opinionated stuff about maintenance etc on other pages in this website.

PS The signals are at the bottom of the page.

Antallica
18th September 2003, 01:16
That's good to know, just common sense stuff mostly.

Will remember that for when I do some group stuff with the gang :)

What?
18th September 2003, 09:38
Need gas is good, need food is good, gidday is good, cop ahead is good, but other than that, if I want a conversation on the road, I will take the car.:Oops:

georgedubyabush
18th September 2003, 12:37
How about some good signed insults then?

Coldkiwi
18th September 2003, 12:38
problem with the 'cop' signal listed there (left hand waving down parallel to the ground) is that on NZ roads, you won't see the other riders hand waving to slow you down. I prefer the flashing of headlights... its universal between cars as well as bikes and also gives you more warning.

I use signals quite a bit in traffic to try and indicate to car drivers (usually) that they've forgotten to turn their lights on. my little guide is.

move of to the side of the front of the vehicle, point at vehicle headlights, make opening gesture (similar to opening and closing a sock puppets mouth).

"turn your headlights on". Some motorists get it straight away.... some female drivers on the other hand still probably haven't turned them on!

tap side of head vigourously

"You Pillock! are you insane!?" most car drivers seem to carefully ignore that one.

Raised forearm

"I do believe that light was RED!!!" again.. that one gets ignored

Big Dog
18th September 2003, 18:33
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
How about some good signed insults then?

I believe the bird is fairly universal.:D

Making wanking gestures in front of the forehead tends to be a fairly universal way of calling some one a dickhead:p

And miming holding a glass seems to work well for stop for a beer at the next pub ... even without the need to actually gesture for some:beer:

Big Dog
18th September 2003, 18:39
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
problem with the 'cop' signal listed there (left hand waving down parallel to the ground) is that on NZ roads, you won't see the other riders hand waving to slow you down. I prefer the flashing of headlights... its universal between cars as well as bikes and also gives you more warning.

Hate to state the obvious but it is excellent for warning kk types who are just winding up behind you oblivious to the cop car in front of you:D

SPman
19th September 2003, 00:40
A steel bar through the windscreen normally gets an errant cars attention...........:niceone:

What?
19th September 2003, 11:20
Normally, yes. Sadly, such subtlety is lost on some...:eek:

Coldkiwi
19th September 2003, 12:15
i should add there are another two I use

Waved hand as overtaking car

"Thanks for shifting over but did you really think I'd be trying to do that if I was relying on you to move?"

Flat hand raised vertically

"Sorry! didn't really mean to cut you up/barge in quite so much"... this is usually followed by a swift attempt to sod off so the driver doesn't entertain thoughts of complaining about me or get a chance to fume about the biker holding them up! (what can I say, I'm human and make mistakes sometimes)

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 10:27
Point to tank. I need gas, stop at the next station

Pat stomach. I'm hungry. We need to stop for food soon

Point at ground
[with either finger or toe]. Careful, there's something on the road.
(Note that you aren't pointing at the hazard necessarily, as this might not be convenient).

Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet Cop nearby (OR, read below)

Point forward, shrug shoulders I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!

Little wave to oncoming motorcyclist. Aren't motorcycles great?

ColdKiwi, what cop signal are you talking about? The one in the signal table listed is a tap on the helmet. I've never used that though, I use my right hand (yes, take it off the throttle) making a pointing motion with my index finger and make continous circles while pointing upwards, as if to emulate a revolving police light. Thats what someone suggested to me, and I've been using that on the roads since. Is the hand on helmet or tapping helmet more universal?

The signals I've pasted are the most commonly used ones imo. The problem is that it would be very difficult to get all motorcyclists to learn and use these. At least with KB, all people on here could make an effort.

I also use the wave (thanks for letting me past, not that I needed you to hehehe) and the steady hand (sorry for pushing in, please don't *555 my arse or try ramming me and chase me, like I experienced recently :( )

Macktheknife
12th September 2005, 19:50
Some good oldies in there but the cop one is new to me, mostly though I have only used the stops and obstacles, and sometimes the road sign ones. Useful but dont get carried away with the things, pays to know who you are riding with too.

sunhuntin
12th September 2005, 20:35
would be useful for a group who knows each other well and can learn the signs together.
more blatantly obvious ones for big groups who are unfamiliar, like the flashing of headlights for cops ahead. have also overtaken a bike on a group run who still had their indicator flashing and flicked mine on and then off to both directions to let them know. couldnt figure out anything else that would work, lol.

limbimtimwim
12th September 2005, 21:15
Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet Cop nearby (OR, read below)
ColdKiwi, what cop signal are you talking about? The one in the signal table listed is a tap on the helmet. I've never used that though, I use my right hand (yes, take it off the throttle) making a pointing motion with my index finger and make continous circles while pointing upwards, as if to emulate a revolving police light. Thats what someone suggested to me, and I've been using that on the roads since. Is the hand on helmet or tapping helmet more universal?First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.
The pillion also did it, it looked very funny. A bit like they were dancing on the bike.

If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.

RiderInBlack
12th September 2005, 21:39
If you were to tap your helmet, I'd think you were trying to itch your scalp.I think that the :tugger: on the other bike is calling me a nutter:weird: :argh: :devil2:

Grumpy
12th September 2005, 22:55
The last time that the Mrs rode pillion with me she devised a new signal when she wanted me to slow down. Apparently I wasn't taking any notice of the taps on my leg (that used to be the signal) so she reached around and grabbed me old fellas :pinch: Didn't half get my attention although there was a brief moment there that I thought she might be signalling something else :woohoo: but :no:

2wheels in Red Beach
3rd October 2005, 20:07
First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.
The pillion also did it, it looked very funny. A bit like they were dancing on the bike.

I agree, someone doing the circle thing would make more sense to someone who has no clue about group signs.

2much
3rd October 2005, 20:17
The last time that the Mrs rode pillion with me she devised a new signal when she wanted me to slow down. Apparently I wasn't taking any notice of the taps on my leg (that used to be the signal) so she reached around and grabbed me old fellas :pinch: Didn't half get my attention although there was a brief moment there that I thought she might be signalling something else :woohoo: but :no:

Oh god I hope the missus doesn't read that, she might get ideas..... so far I just get the leg squeeze around my waist whenever I approach corners a bit too fast for her.

Goblin
3rd October 2005, 20:34
First time I saw someone do the circle thing, I knew what they meant. Probably saved me some trouble, there was a cop over the rise.

That would be the most common Cop signal I have experienced(and the flashing headlight) If I saw someone tap their helmet I'd think they have a headache, probably hung-over.

When someone has left their indicator on I get infront and signal with my left hand, closing fingers then opening again, a few times. Most people get it.

The petrol and food signs are pretty much common sense really.

froggyfrenchman
25th October 2005, 19:14
didnt know a few of those... Cheers

Dont_die_wondering
25th April 2006, 19:02
i think everyone kinda just makes their own group signals up, or as others have said just use the most common, if someone doesnt understand flashing lights or stomach patting...then their just plain strange :bleh:

moko
14th October 2006, 04:33
One I use too regularly is to point to my visor at eye-level,"watch what your doing you blind ****".
Incidentally if a car does cut you up a bit of psychology is useful,hang back,make sure you`re in their mirror(if you can see them they can see you),lights on full and just sit there,bikers look pretty intimidating with all the gear on and a few minutes worrying might "concentrate the mind" enough to make them more careful in future.If they adjust the mirror even better,when you move over to get in their face again they know it`s deliberate.

fazer
27th October 2006, 08:07
Always used the `thumbs down` sign to warn of cops.

scumdog
27th October 2006, 08:15
Always used the `thumbs down` sign to warn of cops.

Between doing that and tapping my helmet and flashing my headlight and making spiraling gestures with my index finger constantly as I ride along I can hardly stay on my bike!!

MyGSXF
27th October 2006, 08:29
I use the left index finger pointing upwards & going round in a spiral to warn of cops. If I'm in front of someone who has left their indicator on, will either flick my indicator on & off a couple of times, or use left hand in quick open/shut flashing motion to let them know. Use middle & index fingers to point to my eyes to tell someone to OPEN their ferkin eyes & LOOK before pulling out in front of me! & most importantly.. I raise my left hand to wave at another bike to say.. "howdie fellow biker, ain't bikes ferkin great, it don't get much better than this, & stay safe out there"!! (I'm a fast talker!!) :done:

scumdog
27th October 2006, 08:31
I use the left index finger pointing upwards & going round in a spiral to warn of cops. If I'm in front of someone who has left their indicator on, will either flick my indicator on & off a couple of times, or use left hand in quick open/shut flashing motion to let them know. Use middle & index fingers to point to my eyes to tell someone to OPEN their ferkin eyes & LOOK before pulling out in front of me! & most importantly.. I raise my left hand to wave at another bike to say.. "howdie fellow biker, ain't bikes ferkin great, it don't get much better than this, & stay safe out there"!! (I'm a fast talker!!) :done:

And you must look like a spastic when all the above happens at once!!

MyGSXF
27th October 2006, 08:40
And you must look like a spastic when all the above happens at once!!

:killingme :rofl: :clap: :bleh: ferk you're a dag! :laugh:

The Stranger
27th October 2006, 08:49
One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Caveats
1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
1) Only use this with those you REALLY trust.
1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

It is particularly effective with cars given their slower acceleration.

Roj
14th November 2006, 10:58
A few good ideas here, thanks

Badger8
29th December 2007, 14:11
One I use too regularly is to point to my visor at eye-level,"watch what your doing you blind ****".
Incidentally if a car does cut you up a bit of psychology is useful,hang back,make sure you`re in their mirror(if you can see them they can see you),lights on full and just sit there,bikers look pretty intimidating with all the gear on and a few minutes worrying might "concentrate the mind" enough to make them more careful in future.If they adjust the mirror even better,when you move over to get in their face again they know it`s deliberate.

I did a similar one this morning. Dickhead didnt see me coming straight through on a green light, coming from my left on a give way and just kept rolling out in front of me. luckily i saw him doing it, as i had to brake rather firmly. gave him a good blast on the horn and saw him look in the rear view then try to pretend he didnt see or hear me. so i just sat in behind him, staring at him the whole way. followed him for a couple of turns (happened to be the way i was going anyway, not stalking him), and before long i think i could just about smell the mess in his pants when he kept going slower and pulling further left and i just stayed right behind him staring at him. he eventually pulled over to a stop just at the corner of my turnoff, he must've thought i was gonna get off and knock his block off or something :-D
a little psychology goes a long way in my books :)

The good ol index and middle finger to the visor, then point at the cager generally does the trick if you're behind them and they see you in the mirror. if there's two lanes and you can pull up next to them (SAFELY of course) the ol rev, stare, partially open hand hanging in the air in front of you as if to say "What the fuck?!" also seems to be universally understood. Still not as universal as the middle finger and a twist of the throttle tho :)

ElCoyote
29th December 2007, 16:31
[QUOTE=The Stranger;802210]One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.
First vehicle to overtake checks in front and behind them, indicates right overtakes, indicates left and pulls back into the original lane then cancels their indicator i.e. normal overtake proceedure. Then if the road ahead is clear front vehicle puts their right indicator on to let your mate know that the road is still clear. If the road ahead is no longer clear or a vehicle comes into view, use the left indicator to signal this.

Used that in a cage a lot years ago (30+ mumble) but with the volume of traffic now and the proliferation of cops u-turning I would hate to put a mates life in danger.

Re the upward pointing and rotating finger to signify a cop ahead, this started when cop cars (EH Holden era) had a single light on the roof. I find this still works well today. :2thumbsup

moko
30th December 2007, 00:19
One we use a lot between 2 vehicles traveling on the open road together is as follows.

Caveats
1) The trailing rider or vehicle should only move if THEY are comfortable with the situation.
1) Only trust the signal if the pattern is followed exactly i.e. If the front vehicle indicates right and overtakes, pulls in and leaves their right indicator on throughout the whole procedure assume they have fucked up and don't rely on them.

I usually get jeers from those, whom haven't tried it, but it can quicken your trip considerably and it is actually a lot safer because you know what is ahead of you if you are the trailing vehicle, and the trailing vehicle doesn't wind up taking unnecessary risks just to keep up.

Dangerous stuff,you should never blindly follow anyone on the road,no matter how much you trust them.If you're watching someone else's riding rather than concentrating on your own you shouldn't be on the road,watch the bloody road ahead for fucks sake and make your decisions on what YOU see and think,not what anyone else says,no matter how well-meaning.I only ride with people I know and trust anyway but I'd never let anyone else's opinion on what might or might not be safe colour my own thoughts.Good riders don't feel the need to "keep up" if it means compromising their own safety,and letting someone else assess any possible risk that just might get you killed is doing just that.What you do can easily confuse other traffic,never a good idea for a number of reasons and as you admit people can get it wrong...which might get someone badly hurt or at the very least mightily piss off other road users.

The Stranger
30th December 2007, 08:06
Dangerous stuff,you should never blindly follow anyone on the road,no matter how much you trust them.

What on earth made you think I was advocating blindly following the person in front or just over taking because their indicator was on?
No way - people should use their own brains and make their own decisions.

If you're watching someone else's riding rather than concentrating on your own you shouldn't be on the road,watch the bloody road ahead for fucks sake and make your decisions on what YOU see and think,not what anyone else says,no matter how well-meaning.

If a bike is in front and you are looking where you are going you are going to see them, if not, you need to sort out your riding in a big hurry.

I only ride with people I know and trust anyway but I'd never let anyone else's opinion on what might or might not be safe colour my own thoughts.Good riders don't feel the need to "keep up" if it means compromising their own safety,and letting someone else assess any possible risk that just might get you killed is doing just that.What you do can easily confuse other traffic,never a good idea for a number of reasons and as you admit people can get it wrong...which might get someone badly hurt or at the very least mightily piss off other road users.

At no time was I suggesting you abandon common sense.
So did you actually try this method or just take the usual KB position and knock it from a position of ignorance?

moko
30th December 2007, 14:17
I wouldn't try your method because as I've already said I reckon it's dangerous.Take your point about "watching" the bike in front though,what I should have said was "focussing",common thing taught to Brit learners is "where you're looking is where you're heading for".
As you say,and I said,people should use their own brains,make their own decisions...so what's the point of your "method",at best irrelavent given what you've said,at worst dangerous,certainly a distraction.If I ride with others I'm constantly aware of what they're doing,where they are e.t.c. but certainly wouldn't be signalling what was ahead,wouldn't ride with anyone who either needed that kind of assistance or thought I did.
Position of ignorance?What makes you say that? I've been riding 12 months of the year for 33 years in all weathers,snow,fog,ice and hail included,reckon I know a bit about how it's done by now.After all,"Good judgement comes from experience".

The Stranger
30th December 2007, 18:09
I wouldn't try your method because as I've already said I reckon it's dangerous.Take your point about "watching" the bike in front though,what I should have said was "focussing",common thing taught to Brit learners is "where you're looking is where you're heading for".
As you say,and I said,people should use their own brains,make their own decisions...so what's the point of your "method",at best irrelavent given what you've said,at worst dangerous,certainly a distraction.If I ride with others I'm constantly aware of what they're doing,where they are e.t.c. but certainly wouldn't be signalling what was ahead,wouldn't ride with anyone who either needed that kind of assistance or thought I did.
Position of ignorance?What makes you say that? I've been riding 12 months of the year for 33 years in all weathers,snow,fog,ice and hail included,reckon I know a bit about how it's done by now.After all,"Good judgement comes from experience".

So you haven't tried it ergo you are ignorant of it's usefulness or otherwise.
This is the position of ignorance to which I refer.

This method was taught to me by a driving instructor of many years experience (at least 10 to my knowledge). Repeating 1yrs experience for 33yrs does not equate to 33yrs experience. Judging by your closed mind, it appears you may well have stopped learning some time ago. Beating your chest proves nothing.

The point in this method is the significant increase in safety gained from effectively having a set of eyes 100m or more in front of you, I realised that takes a lot of imagination for someone who's got a closed mind and been doing the same thing over and over for the last 33yrs, but maybe, just maybe you could try something new and hey, you may even like it.

The Lone Rider
30th December 2007, 18:45
Another good one to know: Waving them to pass you and when they pass you, you point to your crotch in an up/down motion.

Translation - I'm cool, I'm just gonna pull over for a piss. I'll catch up.

Just one I picked up a few weeks ago lol.

Badger8
30th December 2007, 20:05
Another good one to know: Waving them to pass you and when they pass you, you point to your crotch in an up/down motion.

Better be careful who you do that one to.
Just imagined it, and all i can think is "There's a party in my pants, and you're invited ;) " "Jump on here and go for a ride ;) " etc, etc, etc...

Could get a fulla a good ol slap at the next pit stop, or even worse get followed home by a rough trick named jim... :lol:

The Lone Rider
30th December 2007, 20:30
Better be careful who you do that one to.
Just imagined it, and all i can think is "There's a party in my pants, and you're invited ;) " "Jump on here and go for a ride ;) " etc, etc, etc...

Could get a fulla a good ol slap at the next pit stop, or even worse get followed home by a rough trick named jim... :lol:

Well it was amongst friends it was with.

And getting them to pull up beside you and trying to yell out to them while you are both on cruisers with aftermarket, custom or modded pipes is impossible!:eek:

homer
30th December 2007, 20:38
will anyone really have the time to try to do aerobics while there riding ..
I understand the point you putting across ,but other than a simple stopping or turning or waving people on thru ,Its looking like a hard thing to keep in your mind

homer
30th December 2007, 20:39

id be riding just fast enough to keep away from you with a guesture like that

Badger8
30th December 2007, 21:26
Well it was amongst friends it was with.

And getting them to pull up beside you and trying to yell out to them while you are both on cruisers with aftermarket, custom or modded pipes is impossible!:eek:

Friendly friends eh? ;)

You'll just have to learn the push-bike racers trick, tuck it out your left pantleg and go for gold in the gutter as you keep rolling. Might be a bit tough in pants as opposed to bike shorts tho! :2thumbsup

incidentally, that is a pretty good signal, i just cant resist a good piss take! :)

moko
31st December 2007, 01:51
The point in this method is the significant increase in safety gained from effectively having a set of eyes 100m or more in front of you, I realised that takes a lot of imagination for someone who's got a closed mind and been doing the same thing over and over for the last 33yrs, but maybe, just maybe you could try something new and hey, you may even like it.

In my opinion there is no point,otherwise I'd happily try it.If you can't handle other people's opinions maybe you're in the wrong place.Closed mind,same thing over and over for 33 years?Have we met?I'll spare you the life story but you're very,very wide of the mark on both.Outside of the personal stuff,which I'll refrain from replying to in kind, I've offered an opinion,put something up here and rightly or wrongly not everyone's going to agree with you,if they did there would be very little point.

The Stranger
31st December 2007, 07:10
In my opinion there is no point,otherwise I'd happily try it.If you can't handle other people's opinions maybe you're in the wrong place.

So you freely accept that your opinion is uninformed (as you will not try it) and you will not try it.

You advise that I should move on as I don't redily accept uninformed opinion over fact. Oh well, whatever works for you I guess, me, I'll stick to fact over opinion any day.

moko
31st December 2007, 23:43
Now it's "uninformed" opinion...and I apparently freely accept it as such,more supposition.
This from the NZ Road Code

"Signals enable you to tell other road users that you are changing your direction or position on the road. Because of this, knowing when and how to give signals is a very important part of being a safe driver."

If you use your indicators to signal anything else you're confusing other road users and possibly causing a dangerous situation,that's fact.

The Stranger
1st January 2008, 16:56
This from the NZ Road Code

"Signals enable you to tell other road users that you are changing your direction or position on the road. Because of this, knowing when and how to give signals is a very important part of being a safe driver."

Well of course signalling is a very important part of being a safe driver - this is after all what I am advocating. Signalling for the sake of safety.

If you use your indicators to signal anything else you're confusing other road users and possibly causing a dangerous situation,that's fact.

Yes, it could cause a dangerous situation, so could any number of things, including getting on your bike in the morning, like everything in life it does require a modicum of common sense. So we should avoid anything that could "possibly cause" a dangerous situation?
You should come work for our government, they'd love you.

trump-lady
1st January 2008, 17:19

Caveats

I also do this with my dad and his mate (only ones I trust!) does help alot.....they put their right foot out though and thats to tell me im good to go.......or dad knows if Im a car behind Ill go to pass when he does the one infront....basic really if he can pass on a harley I can take a car as well....works well as stated above as Im always last as my bikes faster than theirs and I can catch up better........

trump-lady
1st January 2008, 17:26
Also something u havent thought of moko is that two eyes are always better than one. In some instances I have thought to pass and not seen the leg and noted road kill that dad saw before me etc. I do not pass blindly or without thought and wouldnt trust any person that did it. We toured the nrth island for two weeks and used this alot to keep together and never had an incident. Like stranger said in his first post very clearly it is not for all and every occasion.

Subike
1st January 2008, 18:36
Most of the signals metioned here make a lot of common sence, yet the only one has had little mention.
Kick out your right leg to signal the following rider you wish him to pass.
I feel that this is really good for group riding, as at time you may find yourself at the front end of a pack that wants to ride faster than you.
I do not enjoy the sensation of another rider sitting on my butt, almost as an intimadation to go faster.
By kicking my right leg out and forward, I signal him that I want him to pass.
This could also save a lot of stress for learners who dont want to go as fast but feel expected too because they are in a pack.
I guess its part of the " ride to the conditions and your ability" saftey margine.
On a long group ride , I enjoy the excitement of tight corners, but I know my ride is not as nimbile as some around me, so by pulling to the left of the road, kicking out my right foot, I want the rider behind me to pass.
A very simple easy to read signal, that allows slower or less confident riders to fall of the pace and back into their comfort zone.
:confused:

Radar
4th March 2008, 08:36
Most of the signals metioned here make a lot of common sence, yet the only one has had little mention.
I feel that this is really good for group riding, as at time you may find yourself at the front end of a pack that wants to ride faster than you.
I do not enjoy the sensation of another rider sitting on my butt, almost as an intimadation to go faster.
This could also save a lot of stress for learners who dont want to go as fast but feel expected too because they are in a pack.
I guess its part of the " ride to the conditions and your ability" saftey margine.
On a long group ride , I enjoy the excitement of tight corners, but I know my ride is not as nimbile as some around me, so by pulling to the left of the road, kicking out my right foot, I want the rider behind me to pass.
A very simple easy to read signal, that allows slower or less confident riders to fall of the pace and back into their comfort zone.

Sometimes, usually at the start of a ride, I kick out my leg to loosen a tight pant leg, so I would not want to use this to as a signal. What I usually do is to pull over to the left and wave my left arm while slowing down - the rider behind me has always understood and passes. If I am going slow and safe, I'll wave my right hand with the clutch in. Or sometimes I also blink the left turn signal once or twice - but not with other traffic around.

Skyryder
11th March 2008, 18:59
And miming holding a glass seems to work well for stop for a beer at the next pub ... even without the need to actually gesture for some:beer:

Telepathy for the beer, don't need no hand signals for a wet one.

Skyryder

Zookey
11th April 2008, 16:55
Geeeze All this waving of body parts bringing me out in a sweat:doctor:

Damantis
12th April 2008, 20:46
I'm only a newbie but I reckon the finger twirling is better than a flash of headlights too. Can be done with the left hand as well if cornering and better to stay on the throttle. Every biker watches an oncoming bike cos imo its just nice to see other bikers on the road:2thumbsup. A wave or a nod is good ettiqutte ( i.e thanks for not crossing the centreline somewhere stupid cos we ALL like overtaking ) Pointing at the road is good to say "slow down, the surface is fuct" especially if the poor dude is fllying into sum roadworks :clap:

Boulder
16th April 2008, 18:43
I've been on many group rides and we never had a problem having to use hand signals, not ever.

road king
14th October 2008, 19:18

Caveats

ive seen trucks do this in the middle of the night to let the next truck no its safe to cut a corner

kiwi cowboy
18th October 2008, 23:58
Need gas is good, need food is good, gidday is good, cop ahead is good, but other than that, if I want a conversation on the road, I will take the car.:Oops:

:gob::gob:you swore:bash::bash:

kiwi cowboy
19th October 2008, 00:06
ive seen trucks do this in the middle of the night to let the next truck no its safe to cut a corner

trucks have there own signals but never seen that one

G4L4XY
26th September 2013, 10:53
"Point forward, shrug shoulders - I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!"

^^haha i love this

"Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet - Cop nearby" Don't see this all too often. (actually only seen it once) One guy simulated a siren above his helmet once

Maha
26th September 2013, 15:52
"Point forward, shrug shoulders - I don't know where we're going, I probably shouldn't be leading!"

^^haha i love this

Kinda happened one time on a group ride, we were two up and heading into 'road works' area slightly downhill when, in an instant, I heard/felt the front wheel start to wash, I just let go of everything and let the bike do it's thing (the opposite of a natural reaction) as I so happened, there was and exit road to a small bay which had a big tree to the left, I missed everything, and those behind me, were following me. I could only shrug and shake my head, followed by a sigh of relief and a tiny wha hoo.

kiwi cowboy
28th September 2013, 08:09
Between doing that and tapping my helmet and flashing my headlight and making spiraling gestures with my index finger constantly as I ride along I can barely stay on my hardly:rolleyes:!!

fixed that for ya:devil2:

argada
26th February 2014, 11:08
What is the universal signal to notify another rider they left the turn signal on?

I was behind another rider for 5 minutes or so, entire time his indicator was blinking away.
After overtaking him, I figure I'd try to let him know, by emulating some blinking motion with thumb and fingers.

I think he didn't get the message and got offended. (I got a WTF signal back in return.)

strandedinnz
26th February 2014, 16:18
What is the universal signal to notify another rider they left the turn signal on?

I was behind another rider for 5 minutes or so, entire time his indicator was blinking away.
After overtaking him, I figure I'd try to let him know, by emulating some blinking motion with thumb and fingers.

I think he didn't get the message and got offended. (I got a WTF signal back in return.)

Pull alongside and turn it off for him ?

Zookey
27th February 2014, 12:30
I cant get my head around why manufacturers don't fit the auto blinker off unit as standaed.Ive fitted ;as i do all my bikes; with one at 35 bucks ;every one should fit them for their own safety.

jonnyk5614
16th June 2015, 09:22

Funny - that used to mean "hurry up and get home - got plans for you" with mine :woohoo:

JayDNZ
27th December 2015, 21:45
I cant get my head around why manufacturers don't fit the auto blinker off unit as standaed.Ive fitted ;as i do all my bikes; with one at 35 bucks ;every one should fit them for their own safety.

Didn't know retro-fit options existed... big up!!!

Big Dog
27th December 2015, 22:20
Where do you get them for $35?

Sent via tapatalk.

rocketman1
30th December 2015, 18:10

Good one i will use.