PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

rphenix
11th December 2008, 16:11
A family member was driven into a few weeks ago the classic driver u-turns into motorcycle trick (and no this was not me!) there was witnesses etc so that's not a problem.

The bike however needed a few minor repairs finally seen the insurance assessment sheet which nobody would show us until the assessor had approved the repairs. On it are a few parts I don't think even need repairing (its as if the workshop decided anything with a slight mark boot scuff etc.. was noted down as requiring replacement and worse those parts are the costly ones.

The prices for some of those parts are quite steep I know the shop has to buy through NZ suppliers etc.. but the most expensive part I can import even with the shit exchange rate and exuberant delivery costs at 1/3rd of what is being quoted.

Its taken about a month for the bike to finally get "approved" so in some ways we just want the machine fixed but in other ways I feel bad for the other party or their insurance company (somebody has to pay for the work after all!) and worse what happens if they contest some of what has been done?

Would you say anything to the insurance company? or just ignore the problem and get the bike fixed? Prior to the work being approved we tried to get the original quotes for repairs out of the bike shop, the insurance company, the assessor several times but nobody would play ball even after the fact they really didn't want to give us the info saying it would be hard to understand their form etc..

If we let things proceed and the other person or their insurance contests some of the repairs what happens? Can we end up stuck with a bill (be it excess or otherwise) for parts we know are overpriced?

mattian
11th December 2008, 16:58
Mate..... first of all I would be so stoked that I hadn't been killed!! then, I would be so pissed off at the car drivers idiocy that I would squeeze them for all they are worth. .... but hey, thats just me :rolleyes:

cs363
11th December 2008, 17:14
Would you say anything to the insurance company? or just ignore the problem and get the bike fixed? If we let things proceed and the other person or their insurance contests some of the repairs what happens? Can we end up stuck with a bill (be it excess or otherwise) for parts we know are overpriced?

Assuming that this is a simple insurance company dealing with insurance company deal, then leave well enough alone. The only thing in dispute as far as you/family member is concerned is the excess, and if they have admitted liability then that shouldn't be a concern either - at worst you'll have to pay this to get the bike back and your insurance company will refund it once they have the settlement from the other parties insurance.

Again, assuming the bike was new or near new, then the generally accepted line by insurance companies is that the bike gets fixed to pre-accident condition. So any parts assumed to have been damaged in the accident will be covered.

fireliv
11th December 2008, 17:30
Just leave it. THe insurance company have to restore to exactly the condition the bike was in. They have to use new reputable parts, no matter what the cost. They obviously think its worth fixing. If the other party contest it, then it comes down to your insurance company to contest it. U have witnesses so your relatives bike will be fixed. It wont come out of your pocket

When my partner was hit by a car, the only thing damaged was a couple of the fairing. Each fairing cost $1200 (needed 3 replaced) so instead of fixing it they wrote it off (was a 01 FXR). We brought it back off them for what they thought it was worth, got second hand fairing for $50 each and away we went.

They earn enough money so just let them do it!

rphenix
11th December 2008, 21:01
Thanks guys :) I'll leave it as is!

rainman
11th December 2008, 21:46
If we let things proceed and the other person or their insurance contests some of the repairs what happens?

Note sure I can answer your question based on any sort of facts, but I'd leave it alone, as you suggest. At least the most important part of the bike wasn't damaged!