PDA

View Full Version : Is this bike a classic Jap bike

G-spot
11th December 2008, 19:43
:scratch:The Yamaha TT500 started production in 1976 through to 1981.
The bikes were vertually the same from year to year with colour being the major difference.

I agree that pre 1980 is the cut off point for classic bikes

but what about the 1981 Yamaha TT500H
its the same bike as the 79 and 1980 Yamaha TT500's except for its colour would it be classed as a classic since it is the same bike:girlfight:.

Coyote
11th December 2008, 19:52
I don't think 'classic bikes' should be pre-1980. The first GSXR750 is regarded as a classic. My VFR400 is almost one. Any bike that after a fair few years is still well known by most bikers as a bike that was good, cool looking or had character, I would consider it to be a classic. Since bikes get replaced with newer models regularly, it speaks volumes if a particular model is remembered.

Put I suppose crap bikes pre-1980 can be considered classic whereas crap later models can't be :p

The TT is not a crap bike. I reckon it's a classic. The one on the photo is a very nice example.

G-spot
11th December 2008, 19:57
I don't think 'classic bikes' should be pre-1980. The first GSXR750 is regarded as a classic. My VFR400 is almost one. Any bike that after a fair few years is still well known by most bikers as a bike that was good, cool looking or had character, I would consider it to be a classic. Since bikes get replaced with newer models regularly, it speaks volumes if a particular model is remembered.

Put I suppose crap bikes pre-1980 can be considered classic whereas crap later models can't be :p

The TT is not a crap bike. I reckon it's a classic. The one on the photo is a very nice example.

Yes interesting, can't wait to hear more opinions:soon:

Ixion
11th December 2008, 20:00
Yes. It is the vibe of the bike that counts not the year. A brand new Ural would be a classic.

cs363
11th December 2008, 20:01
There was some talk of this in another thread, but it seems to be generally accepted amongst the anoraks that 25 years is where the line is drawn for classics, so that would put your bike in automatically.
Coyote makes a good point that there are some bikes younger than the norm that have all the qualities of a classic.

Edit: And thinking about it it's only a few weeks and that '84 GSX-R750 will qualify too..... :)

Subike
11th December 2008, 20:04
I think it should be classed as a classic, ok it was manufactured in 81, but as you put it the model started in 76, and 81 was the end of the production run for this model of bike, so its a 76 model produced in 81, that makes it a classic, if that makes sence.

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:06
There was some talk of this in another thread, but it seems to be generally accepted amongst the anoraks that 25 years is where the line is drawn for classics, so that would put your bike in automatically.
Coyote makes a good point that there are some bikes younger than the norm that have all the qualities of a classic.

Good to hear all these views but I would love to here why my 1981 Yamaha TT500H isn't, :Pokey: poke me in the eye

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:13
I think it should be classed as a classic, ok it was manufactured in 81, but as you put it the model started in 76, and 81 was the end of the production run for this model of bike, so its a 76 model produced in 81, that makes it a classic, if that makes sence.

:beer: Man that was a very sensible answer, whoa blown away, at last I have found a forum where there a people who have sensible answers and not garbage from young boys or old men who havn't grown up.:grouphug:

cs363
11th December 2008, 20:16
Good to hear all these views but I would love to here why my 1981 Yamaha TT500H isn't, :Pokey: poke me in the eye

Isn't? Hard to argue on the face of it - or are you referring obscurely to something else, like maybe...the pre-1981 class in VMX? :confused:

Coyote
11th December 2008, 20:21
Hang onto it long enough and it'll be a classic no question :D

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:22
Isn't? Hard to argue on the face of it - or are you referring obscurely to something else, like maybe...the pre-1981 class in VMX? :confused:

Don't know much about VMX, whats that 1981 VMX all about:scooter:

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:25
Hang onto it long enough and it'll be a classic no question :D

Thats what I keep telling my wife:gob:

cs363
11th December 2008, 20:27
VMX - Vintage Motocross (http://www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz/)

I think some classic clubs still have a pre-1980 rule, whilst some work on the 25 year rule which seems the more sensible approach to me, seeing as time does not stand still.

Paul in NZ
11th December 2008, 20:35
Silly and very loaded question - of course its a 'classic' but if someone has a pre 1980 rule for a particular race class and yours is an 81 - tough luck.... Those dates are arbitary but impossible to suit everyone.

Make a case to the rules committee, not KB...

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:35
VMX - Vintage Motocross (http://www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz/)

I think some classic clubs still have a pre-1980 rule, whilst some work on the 25 year rule which seems the more sensible approach to me, seeing as time does not stand still.

Yes, that sounds logical but why 25 years why not 26,27,28,29 or even 30

G-spot
11th December 2008, 20:39
Sorry guys I have to go, thanks for you comments

Chaio:crybaby:

MVnut
11th December 2008, 20:59
Yeah it's a classic, TTs were always good bikes, but if you have an old bike that was crap when it was new, then now it's just 'old' (and still crap) .....not a classic.

pete376403
11th December 2008, 21:20
Classic to me means when something changed so radically that overnight stuff that went before was, if not obsolete, then outdated. EG the CB750 at a time when H-D had just discovered an alternative to side valves.
The Kawasaki Z1 raised the bar in terms of power. The GS750 Suzuki showed that Jap bikes could handle well.
There is a lot of older stuff that is termed classic just because it is old, but had no redeeming features then and doesn't now, apart from age.

McJim
11th December 2008, 21:23
"Japanese Classic" is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned.....they just don't leak enough "Character" on the garage floor. Mind you I'm just a European snob (albeit a poor one who can't afford a modern bike :2thumbsup:)

Voltaire
11th December 2008, 21:24
How about a music analogy.

'Staying Alive' is a classic as its over 25 years old.

where as 'Child of Mine' is not.....

toycollector10
11th December 2008, 21:55
My two bobs worth.

I think a classic is a bike that represented a radical shift in thinking about what a bike could be. I'm biased of course. Think first year of manufacture. Kawasaki Mach III, Z1, CB750 K0, CBX, Norton Commando, RE5 Suzuki, Goldwing, Hayabusa, GSXR, Ducati Super Sport, Benelli 6 or whatever it was called, Honda VFR, and dare I say it, the early HD XLCH models.

The introduction of the model had to get people buzzing about it and wanting to see and or own the bike. Subsequent refinements of the model to me are a bit of a yawn. Think Kawasaki 400 triple. I just doesn't have the raw emotive in your face "here I am" that the Mach III had. The 400 is just cashing in on the triple theme, in my opinion.

A CB750 K6 Honda is just a 6th year model down the track refinement of the K0 and a bit of a bore. Like grandma. She got old, slower, dowdy, her pipes were all baffled up and she lost the hot cam and became just plain boring in the long run.

So think "what's this new model I have heard about" and "Bloody hell, I've got to have one!"

Bonez
12th December 2008, 05:15
Hey, if goe blow rocks up you me and says thats a classic. Its fine by me.

Yip your TT500 is a classic.

PeteJ
12th December 2008, 10:02
The "same model" question was answered many years back - even before we (I, actually) wrote the first rules for post-classic racing in NZ. Later-made examples of an existing model are allowed in where you have a cut-off year.

The 25-year rolling cut-off is common world-wide in ther historic vehicle movement.

"Classic", like fairness, taste, and humour, depends intensely on where you stand. That is why the "classic" definition of most vehicle clubs relies on nothing more elaborate than a 25-year cutoff.

jim.cox
12th December 2008, 10:42

I concur

classic++

Dodgyiti
12th December 2008, 15:19
:scratch:The Yamaha TT500 started production in 1976 through to 1981.
The bikes were vertually the same from year to year with colour being the major difference.

I agree that pre 1980 is the cut off point for classic bikes

but what about the 1981 Yamaha TT500H
its the same bike as the 79 and 1980 Yamaha TT500's except for its colour would it be classed as a classic since it is the same bike:girlfight:.

I have fond memories of my TT500, the kickstarting, the crashing into trees, the rebuild on apprentice wages.
It cuts it as a classic with me, for sure.
It was pretty unchanged from conception, there was a swingarm change but not sure what year.

Enter
the :sherlock::sherlock::sherlock::sherlock::psst:

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:14
I have fond memories of my TT500, the kickstarting, the crashing into trees, the rebuild on apprentice wages.
It cuts it as a classic with me, for sure.
It was pretty unchanged from conception, there was a swingarm change but not sure what year.

Enter
the :sherlock::sherlock::sherlock::sherlock::psst:

Cool dude, 79-81 was the swingarm change and a couple of other minor changes.
unfortunately I can't give mine shirt on the dirt as I spent to much money on it, got my 1980 suzuki DR400T to fill in for it, plus the DR doesn't hurt my kidneys as I go over the bumps.:lol:

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:16
I concur

classic++

I think the general consensus is that it is a classic bike. Hey man I own a classic bike yeah ha.:banana:

Dodgyiti
12th December 2008, 16:34
I think the general consensus is that it is a classic bike. Hey man I own a classic bike yeah ha.:banana:

Not just a classic bike, but a classic chookie!

They are even more rare because people like me thrashed and trashed them and rusted them into little piles not even fit for the crusher, damn the dunes and their frame destroying salt

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:35
The "same model" question was answered many years back - even before we (I, actually) wrote the first rules for post-classic racing in NZ. Later-made examples of an existing model are allowed in where you have a cut-off year.

The 25-year rolling cut-off is common world-wide in ther historic vehicle movement.

"Classic", like fairness, taste, and humour, depends intensely on where you stand. That is why the "classic" definition of most vehicle clubs relies on nothing more elaborate than a 25-year cutoff.

Hi, was the same question asked many years ago of the same model, no way Jose you wrote the rules. Hey thanks for your input.:2thumbsup

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:38
Hey, if goe blow rocks up you me and says thats a classic. Its fine by me.

its looks like its leaning towards that from others comments.

98tls
12th December 2008, 16:43
its looks like its leaning towards that from others comments. Wish i had kept my old black/chrome one.:love:

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:43
My two bobs worth.

I think a classic is a bike that represented a radical shift in thinking about what a bike could be. I'm biased of course. Think first year of manufacture. Kawasaki Mach III, Z1, CB750 K0, CBX, Norton Commando, RE5 Suzuki, Goldwing, Hayabusa, GSXR, Ducati Super Sport, Benelli 6 or whatever it was called, Honda VFR, and dare I say it, the early HD XLCH models.

The introduction of the model had to get people buzzing about it and wanting to see and or own the bike. Subsequent refinements of the model to me are a bit of a yawn. Think Kawasaki 400 triple. I just doesn't have the raw emotive in your face "here I am" that the Mach III had. The 400 is just cashing in on the triple theme, in my opinion.

A CB750 K6 Honda is just a 6th year model down the track refinement of the K0 and a bit of a bore. Like grandma. She got old, slower, dowdy, her pipes were all baffled up and she lost the hot cam and became just plain boring in the long run.

So think "what's this new model I have heard about" and "Bloody hell, I've got to have one!"

I think thats what happen back in 1976 and carried on through to 1981 and its still the same now so many guy's still want one.

98tls
12th December 2008, 16:46
I think thats what happen back in 1976 and carried on through to 1981 and its still the same now so many guy's still want one. Yep,:rolleyes: them and oh to find a XL250 Motorsport.

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:50
Wish i had kept my old black/chrome one.:love:

Thats my next challenge, I have a alloy/black one sitting out in the garage that needs rebuild.
Myself and some other guys have the same bikes our own dirt track and we race all day and we have lots of great fun, nothing is serious.

G-spot
12th December 2008, 16:54
Yeah it's a classic, TTs were always good bikes, but if you have an old bike that was crap when it was new, then now it's just 'old' (and still crap) .....not a classic.

Yes I understand where your comming from:yes:

G-spot
12th December 2008, 17:03
Classic to me means when something changed so radically that overnight stuff that went before was, if not obsolete, then outdated. EG the CB750 at a time when H-D had just discovered an alternative to side valves.
The Kawasaki Z1 raised the bar in terms of power. The GS750 Suzuki showed that Jap bikes could handle well.
There is a lot of older stuff that is termed classic just because it is old, but had no redeeming features then and doesn't now, apart from age.

I have the first Yamaha dirt bike, 1964 landscout/trailmaster not much to it couldn't do much with it besides just ride it in a straight line but it was the first dirt bike from yamaha. I know that its a peice of crap and therefore not a classic would that be correct.:scratch:

G-spot
12th December 2008, 17:09
Not just a classic bike, but a classic chookie!

They are even more rare because people like me thrashed and trashed them and rusted them into little piles not even fit for the crusher, damn the dunes and their frame destroying salt

all these replies I can't keep up with it, shit I have to go and get tea for the kids, got to dash

98tls
12th December 2008, 17:22
Yeah it's a classic, TTs were always good bikes, but if you have an old bike that was crap when it was new, then now it's just 'old' (and still crap) .....not a classic. There must be many disillusioned Triumph owners then.:innocent:

Voltaire
12th December 2008, 17:57
There must be many disillusioned Triumph owners then.:innocent:

I was disillusioned way before I got a Triumph...
I do like the pre unit ones....very stylish.

I remember at school the 7th former who turned up on brand new TT500...in 1976/7....stangely don't recall any of the other bikes.

98tls
12th December 2008, 18:01

I remember at school the 7th former who turned up on brand new TT500...in 1976/7....stangely don't recall any of the other bikes. Fair call mate,am just taking the piss.Myself i love pretty much anything old,i can still remember the joy when the old man moved the old lady out and an old 650SS Norton into the lounge to give it another chance at life.

cs363
12th December 2008, 18:11

I remember at school the 7th former who turned up on brand new TT500...in 1976/7....stangely don't recall any of the other bikes.

Funny how those things stick with you - I can still picture the brand new Z1 Kawasaki that one of the 7th formers had at my school back then. Nice sunny day, light glinting off the chrome, polished alloy bits and that sparkly metallic brown paint.....
Had a profound effect on me I can tell ya! :)

98tls
12th December 2008, 18:16
Funny how those things stick with you - I can still picture the brand new Z1 Kawasaki that one of the 7th formers had at my school back then. Nice sunny day, light glinting off the chrome, polished alloy bits and that sparkly metallic brown paint.....
Had a profound effect on me I can tell ya! :)
Mate at least you fell for a real classic,many many years ago i called into Hollands Honda in CH-CH on my 500/4 and fell in love with XS Yamaha triple done stone style with 3/1 bikini fairing,hence the pile of shite in my garage awaiting time/$/energy.:beer:

Voltaire
12th December 2008, 18:19
Fair call mate,am just taking the piss.Myself i love pretty much anything old,i can still remember the joy when the old man moved the old lady out and an old 650SS Norton into the lounge to give it another chance at life.

...I bought a 58 T110 basket case on my OE, rebuilt in the conservatory over 18 months and took it to the TT races:woohoo:
Brought it home and it seized up twice:bash:
Sat in Mums garage since 1997:weep:

here's a pic just prior to completion in Clapham.

98tls
12th December 2008, 18:38
...I bought a 58 T110 basket case on my OE, rebuilt in the conservatory over 18 months and took it to the TT races:woohoo:

here's a pic just prior to completion in Clapham. Gorgeous.............

G-spot
12th December 2008, 19:20

Whoa that seventh former must of had a rich dad, or he saved all his news paper run money to buy it. I just didn't have the cash to buy anything like that back in those days I may have killed myself anyway proberly was a bit to much grunt for my riding ability at the time. I had to stick to my crappy old ER/TS 175.
Just like me I don't recall any other bikes from that period whilst I was at high school.

G-spot
12th December 2008, 20:00

here's a pic just prior to completion in Clapham.

Yes very nice.

Gtracer
13th December 2008, 06:11
My bike is a 1989 VMAX classic or not?

G-spot
13th December 2008, 07:31
My bike is a 1989 VMAX classic or not?
If you have a read of all the posts on this thread I think you will then get your answer.

Saw one of those the other day at a work shop man they are big.:woohoo:

eelracing
13th December 2008, 09:42
Don't know much about VMX, whats that 1981 VMX all about:scooter:

If your TT 500 has'nt changed since 76 ie;engine or running gear,then it would be considered as a flow on model.Therefore it would be eligible for the pre 81 open class,pitting you up against some nasty air cooled two stroke 500s.:buggerd:

G-spot
13th December 2008, 13:37
If your TT 500 has'nt changed since 76 ie;engine or running gear,then it would be considered as a flow on model.Therefore it would be eligible for the pre 81 open class,pitting you up against some nasty air cooled two stroke 500s.:buggerd:

They also have the new suspension which mind doesn't, my kidney's would be shot by the end of the day, actuallly they would be buggered with in 15min the suspension would have rattled them off there mounts.

PeteJ
15th December 2008, 17:00
Hi, was the same question asked many years ago of the same model, no way Jose you wrote the rules. Hey thanks for your input.:2thumbsup

Yep, I sure did write the rules for Post Classic racing eligibility and had the remit passed at (then) NZACU conference; they were/are modelled on the Aussie post-classic rules.

And the question has often been asked of near-new models, as the XT/TT50s were back when those rules were written.

Funny how many "this is a classic of the future" bikes became the grey porridge old bikes of now; and how many became recognised as dead ends of development. Interesting, but dead ends eg turbos.

"Grey porridge" was the expression used in the mid 70s when the classic bike movement was debating whether things such as my 1946 Ariel VH500 were classics.

I have a lot of personal sympathy for the idea that "Classic" = ground-breaking, first of type. That's why my Hondas include a very early 50 stepthrough and a first series XL250 Motosport.

G-spot
15th December 2008, 17:43
Yep, I sure did write the rules for Post Classic racing eligibility and had the remit passed at (then) NZACU conference; they were/are modelled on the Aussie post-classic rules.

And the question has often been asked of near-new models, as the XT/TT50s were back when those rules were written.

Funny how many "this is a classic of the future" bikes became the grey porridge old bikes of now; and how many became recognised as dead ends of development. Interesting, but dead ends eg turbos.

"Grey porridge" was the expression used in the mid 70s when the classic bike movement was debating whether things such as my 1946 Ariel VH500 were classics.

I have a lot of personal sympathy for the idea that "Classic" = ground-breaking, first of type. That's why my Hondas include a very early 50 stepthrough and a first series XL250 Motosport.

I have a friend in Tauranga that has a XL250 motorsport thats mint aswel as a 1979 Yamaha TT500F.

I'm sought of leading toward the idea that if a particular bike from 25 years ago or pre 1980 was mentioned in conversation and it generated nothing but excitement then its more then likely a classic.

I have a 1964 Yamaha 80cc landscout/Trailmaster (first dirt bike from yamaha) that has a rotory engine is it a classic.

Great to hear your comments and that you played a part in our countries motorbike history.

aedavo
15th December 2008, 20:20
If a classic is defined as "exemplary of a particular style" then you would have to say that an 81 TT500,being the same build for 5 years,is a classic.Also look at how many clubs there are around the world that are exclusive to the XT/TT500 design between 76 and 81.But,I would rather be legendary than classic. Remember the old TT500 adds?"The makings of a legend".
That comment should do some heads in for at least a page ,ha ha.:woohoo:

G-spot
15th December 2008, 20:35
If a classic is defined as "exemplary of a particular style" then you would have to say that an 81 TT500,being the same build for 5 years,is a classic.Also look at how many clubs there are around the world that are exclusive to the XT/TT500 design between 76 and 81.But,I would rather be legendary than classic. Remember the old TT500 adds?"The makings of a legend".

Yep sure will:banana:

aedavo
15th December 2008, 20:40

Yep sure will:banana:
refer the pic..

Armitage Shanks
28th December 2008, 18:56
Good thread Guys , tucked away in storage I got an 01 , last model made CR500R...last of the big red MX 2- stroke., brand new......does that count ?

Bike has zero hours and never been clicked into gear...it's a Honey...

Or..am I on the wrong thread ? :)

Voltaire
28th December 2008, 19:09
Good thread Guys , tucked away in storage I got an 01 , last model made CR500R...last of the big red MX 2- stroke., brand new......does that count ?

Bike has zero hours and never been clicked into gear...it's a Honey...

Or..am I on the wrong thread ? :)

Not until you fire it up, break summit and the local Honda shop rolls his eyes and says 'try Ebay":rolleyes:

....not even tempted to start it????:banana:

Armitage Shanks
29th December 2008, 19:50
Voltaire, have started it once or twice...only to make sure it's a runner , Ebay indeed ! wash your mouth....

To be quite honest I'm not that sure what I should with the bloody thing...

Maybe hang on to it for a while, current recession etc etc ......:cool: