PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the rear wheel.

sedge
12th February 2005, 17:11
Hi,

I've got a new rear shock linkage to put in my ZXR750 from a later model, to get this in I need to get the wheel off the ground so the swing arm is free. Kawasaki have a 'special jack' part number $$$$-$$$$ or something that has some magic pins and bits etc.

The question is, do I need the magic jack ? or can I put a couple of strops round the frame higher up and hoist the bike from the garage rafters ? Is that a dumb idea ? I can't break anything lifting from the frame top rail can I ? (apart from the garage that is)

Anyone ?....

Bike is a 91 ZXR750J and I wouldn't be tying anything to the subframe coz that looks a bit weak for the job.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Blakamin
12th February 2005, 18:35
you'd be sweet mate.... best way to do it is hang from the roof!!!

sAsLEX
12th February 2005, 19:14
in my shady garge i would put it on the side stand the put a jack under the right hand foot peg/sump what ever is best and jack it up, should be able to tripod on the front wheel, stand and jack sweet as.

I use a piece of wood under the right foot peg to lift the rear wheel to lube the chain

cowpoos
12th February 2005, 19:25
wood under both foot pegs usually works

NC
13th February 2005, 01:25
Friggen Clowns

sedge
13th February 2005, 08:58
Friggen Clowns

Right then ! I'm gonna get the posse together in my tiny little car and me, bobo, floppy, dropsy, fuzzems, Mr bangles and crunky are coming over, it's time you got a squeaky beating NC30.
And maybe a balloon animal to keep afterwards...

Sedge.

sedge
13th February 2005, 12:29
in my shady garge i would put it on the side stand the put a jack under the right hand foot peg/sump what ever is best and jack it up, should be able to tripod on the front wheel, stand and jack sweet as.

I use a piece of wood under the right foot peg to lift the rear wheel to lube the chain

This worked, cheers all... Dropped out the shock, gonna go get some grease to pack the bushes up and then work out which way round the new linkage and bones go in.

Bought a C spanner to spin out the locking collar to set up my preload, but it's not the right size ! Managed to drift off the locking collar but the adjuster wont budge.

I'll probably just bung it all back in and go for a ride over the hill to test, I'm hoping it stops my spine being crushed...

Thanks for that,

Sedge.

scroter
13th February 2005, 12:30
i stuck a jack in between the back tyre and the rear part of the frame and wound it till the rear shock droped out.

sedge
13th February 2005, 12:37
i stuck a jack in between the back tyre and the rear part of the frame and wound it till the rear shock droped out.

Hey, good idea, I didn't think of that. ah well, it's done now and I needed to check the swing arm bearing while I was in there.

Cheers,

Sedge.

White trash
13th February 2005, 12:39
....s best acheived by getting up a good head of steam (100kph or more), gripping the tank tightly with your knees, transfer your weight to the front and grabbing a good handfull of front brake.

Changing the rar shock while attempting this could be hazardous to your health so don't try this at home kids.

sedge
13th February 2005, 21:05
Well... all done... rear end seems to be behaving it self a bit better (the bikes that is)

Like StoneChucker said the other day 'the easy jobs can bite your arse' or summat like that.

Yup.. damn... Got my old shock linkage out, faffed around packing the new one, put it in, torqued everything up and then put all the other bits back on, rolled the bike out and what do I see ? A rubber grease retainer from one of the linkage bearings... Which one ? Who knows ?

Rolled the bike back in and did it all again :/

Sigh... But it's all better now.

Sedge.