PDA

View Full Version : The hunt for a clutch cable

musicman
14th December 2008, 13:03
So how hard is it to find a clutch cable on a Sunday???

My clutch cable broke yesterday evening on Northcote Rd and TOTO and I pushed it to Cycletreads, hoping that when they opened this morning they'd be able to chuck a new one in and I'd be off! :ride:

... No such luck. They didn't stock clutch cables at all, and they didn't have any for Cagivas in their catalogue either. Damn. So I hopped on my Zeal and took off to Mt Eden Motorcycles. None in stock. Next was Wild West Honda. They took down my details and said they'll call me and see if they could order one in. Sigh. Lastly I went to Motomail (who I forgot actually sells Cagivas, so I should've gone there first, duh) and they said NZ has stocks of them so if they order them it'll be here on Tuesday. $115. I've never bought a clutch cable before but I'd have thought they'd be a bit cheaper than that :crazy:

I guess this means I'll have to use my old Zeal (which I've actually sold to my friend but he hasn't got his licence yet so it's still at my place) in the meantime. Reading some threads on here it seems that broken clutch cables are not uncommon, so why is it so difficult to find someone that has one? Not dissing the bike shops, they were helpful and I'd have gladly spent my money in their shops. It's just strange how hard it is to find a cable... :oi-grr:

Oh, and does anyway wanna ride my bike home for me with no clutch? :laugh:

The Pastor
14th December 2008, 13:06
you can get clutch cables made up mate, costs like $40

Squiggles
14th December 2008, 13:07
The wreckers just down from cycletreads can make them... as can several other outfits around auckland

hayd3n
14th December 2008, 13:34
just get one made not hard and they even use the old casing

The Pastor
14th December 2008, 14:17
sent ya a PM about trailering ur bike home bro

musicman
14th December 2008, 14:58
Would they need the bike to make a clutch cable? The original part from Cagiva is the whole thing including the casing and all, but it's $115 which seems a bit much to me!

Blackshear
14th December 2008, 15:01
In light of my big head, what's hard about not using a clutch?

Cheers for the ups on the clutch cable cost, I know someone who's oiling his tonight!

musicman
14th December 2008, 15:04
In light of my big head, what's hard about not using a clutch?

Cheers for the ups on the clutch cable cost, I know someone who's oiling his tonight!

Have you ever tried bump starting a 650 V-twin? TOTO and I tried once, it kept locking up the rear, so I dunno how fast it'd need to be... I could stall it at red lights, put it into neutral, and start it again, but the clutch needs to be in for the electric start to work. Yes, even in neutral.

The Pastor
14th December 2008, 15:06
the would need the orignal cable (to get the lenght) or you could tell them how long it is etc

Blackshear
14th December 2008, 15:31
Have you ever tried bump starting a 650 V-twin? TOTO and I tried once, it kept locking up the rear, so I dunno how fast it'd need to be... I could stall it at red lights, put it into neutral, and start it again, but the clutch needs to be in for the electric start to work. Yes, even in neutral.

Well then, disregard my post!

I found myself chuckling at the lights without a clutch :lol:
Ah. I do feel your pain, if that helps. Just hope you don't have to fork out a days wages!

The Pastor
14th December 2008, 16:16
bike is now safely home!

Whoosh
14th December 2008, 16:46
I went to a bicycle shop & got them to make up a brake cable that worked fine.. was cheap to, $12 from memory

Madness
14th December 2008, 16:51
Gotta love hydraulic clutches.

pete376403
14th December 2008, 18:30
Dont try and bump start using 1st gear - wheel will lock every time. Use second. Push the bke and get a bit of speed up, then (assuming broken clutch cable) just bang it into gear (it will crunch the gears a bit) Get the engine turning before you try and open the throttle, and then open very gradually. Bump starting is not difficult, but there is a technique involved.

Blackshear
14th December 2008, 18:39
Dont try and bump start using 1st gear - wheel will lock every time. Use second. Push the bke and get a bit of speed up, then (assuming broken clutch cable) just bang it into gear (it will crunch the gears a bit) Get the engine turning before you try and open the throttle, and then open very gradually. Bump starting is not difficult, but there is a technique involved.

By the sounds of it, I certainly can't wait for my switch to a bigger bike.

Any word on the Buell 1125CR's?

musicman
14th December 2008, 21:03
bike is now safely home!

Yep, thanks a lot! :first:

Whoosh
14th December 2008, 21:29
Gotta love hydraulic clutches. dunno about that, I blew a clutch hose a few weeks ago, was interesting riding home peak hour, judging intersections, gaps & lights so as not to have to stop :eek5: