PDA

View Full Version : Riders down on Coro Loop (14 December)

Voltaire
14th December 2008, 18:28
The BFTP run today ended early when two riders went down between Thames and Coromandel.
Emergency Services were on the scene within minutes.
Dogyiti and his mate Shane were both taken to Thames hospital with what looked like minor but painful injuries resulting from the crash.
They both went home this afternoon following medical treatment.
Hope you guys get better soon.

kevfromcoro
14th December 2008, 18:32
Where was that mate....
didnt see any ambos going past.
hope the riders are ok..

roy.nz
14th December 2008, 18:39
If i may ask what happened? how did they go down ? Glad to hear they are okay and still alive and kicking.
Ride hard but safe

Voltaire
14th December 2008, 18:52
If i may ask what happened? how did they go down ? Glad to hear they are okay and still alive and kicking.
Ride hard but safe

I don't know the full details, only what I saw.
I arrived on the scene a minute later, one bike was hard against the bank on the opposite side of the road, a SUV with a boat and boat trailer were crossed up in the middle of the road perhaps from taking evasive action and the other bike was lying, having low sided to avoid the SUV, almost under the flipped and jack knifed trailer. The boat was thrown over the side onto the rocks.
both riders were walking but dazed.

Dodgyiti
14th December 2008, 18:54
Thanks to everyone who stopped and helped.

The best bunch to ride with.

I am ok, but I went to a real hospitol on the way home and they were horrified to see my broken arm in just a sling. I now have a cast from thumb to under the armpit. No wonder it was sore to passing out in the car on the way home.

Biggest freak accident I could ever imagine.
Stop to assist a fallen rider and hit bY a frigging BOAT

i had nowhere to go was stopped as far over as i could and the trailer hit my bike with enough force to stuff it and the boat broke free and i took the frond windscreen off it with my very expensive helmet.
the other rider owes his life to the driver who could have run over his head, and he avoided me on the opposite side ove the road on the verge but it was too much for the boat and trailer which jack knived right into little old me.
i am so grateful for my life today, and to the people i was riding with who are just awesome and my biggest 'ups' to all of them
this was to be my last ride of the year as i always do as the silly season is too dangerous for biking in my opinion.
one day too late.
my bike was in the fittest condition and had the best of everything it could have, i was wearing the best protection my money could buy and this happened.
like i said

freak accident

Ixion
14th December 2008, 18:56
Fuck me. I thought I was the only rider ever to be chased down the road by a boat!

sinfull
14th December 2008, 19:01

Now that has to be worse odds than lotto ! Any fish ?

kevfromcoro
14th December 2008, 19:01
yeah..
got to what your ass done here all the time
dam holiday makers with boats ,,,caravans ,,, etc..
i ride the coast ride ..with a lot of precaution..
came round a corner yesterday ...and here is a 4WD
a mtr over the center line...
hope you guys are ok

Paul in NZ
14th December 2008, 19:05

You daft begger - why am I thinking this could only happen to you?

Glad you are OK my friend - I'm really looking forward to hearing about this!!!!

MadDuck
14th December 2008, 19:06

Blimmin heck. Glad you walked away reasonably ok.

Swoop
14th December 2008, 19:13
Glad to hear that you are relatively OK!

Katman will be along soon to prove that you were in fact speeding and in the wrong, thus causing the accident and giving bikers around the globe a bad name.:wacko:

Dodgyiti
14th December 2008, 19:17
i updated my story, learning to type one handed,:Oops:

Kiwi Graham
14th December 2008, 19:36
Well done for getting away with head butting a boat dude, hope the arm heals soon (well six weeks anyway) and you can get out and enjoy the summer.

nudemetalz
14th December 2008, 20:23
Well,.. people say we are freaks for owning Moto Guzzis !!!

Glad to hear you're okay :niceone:

Bonez
14th December 2008, 20:50
Geez. No good at all.

Max Headroom
14th December 2008, 21:37
I've posted a few piccies in the BFTP thread for those interested. Here's the link:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1850794&posted=1#post1850794

Okey Dokey
15th December 2008, 07:56
So sorry to hear of your terrible accident and injuries. I hope you heal well and quickly, but I guess you will be feeling pretty sore all over today, not just your poor arm. Glad that you are still here with us.

ducatijim
15th December 2008, 09:11
Glad you are both ok.

That great road is a fine balance between 'motorcycle nirvana' and 'accident thats found place to happen'.

Enjoyed it myself sunday week; thought to self at time: ' this is a risky place to have this much fun'!

Dodgyiti
15th December 2008, 10:23
Glad you are both ok.

That great road is a fine balance between 'motorcycle nirvana' and 'accident thats found place to happen'.

Enjoyed it myself sunday week; thought to self at time: ' this is a risky place to have this much fun'!

its a wonderful ride and a beautiful part of this great country, some people cant see that, they only see the next corner.
this time of year the kiwi christmas trees are in full bloom and the tide was in. very special place but not a racetrack

ajturbo
15th December 2008, 11:01
i thought boaties were a dodgy bunch.. and couldn't trust them... now we all know...

glad your up and about...

Katman
15th December 2008, 17:51
Katman will be along soon to prove that you were in fact speeding and in the wrong, thus causing the accident and giving bikers around the globe a bad name.:wacko:

Well, by all accounts it certainly wasn't the car driver at fault.

Meanie
15th December 2008, 18:13
i thought boaties were a dodgy bunch.. and couldn't trust them... now we all know...

glad your up and about...

Hey.... i,m a boatie and a biker as well, that doesnt make me dodgy
Shit i,m not sure weather you are lucky or unlucky either way you gotta be stoked you got away with your life intact and one hell of a story

Motu
15th December 2008, 20:10
Shit sure does happen when you're not looking for it - happy to see things are sorta ok...dings and dents in bodies and bikes can be mended.

What time did this happen? A guy from work went up with his boat at about 11.00am,so if this happened around 10.00 ish,you got it cleaned up pretty quick,as he saw nothing.

This ride was a bit too ambitious for my first major outing on the R65,so did a 230km ride on bits of the Kaiaua loop.

McJim
15th December 2008, 20:19
Glad you're both still alive and well. We were just talking about those hooligan boaties at work today. How they can get as pissed as they like and STILL drive a boat and there's no law against it - AND they don't need to have a licence nor register the boat nor pay ACC levies......hmmm I feel a campaign coming on.

flyingcrocodile46
15th December 2008, 22:31
Glad you're both still alive and well. We were just talking about those hooligan boaties at work today. How they can get as pissed as they like and STILL drive a boat and there's no law against it - AND they don't need to have a licence nor register the boat nor pay ACC levies......hmmm I feel a campaign coming on.

Lol.. might be a good idea to find a better story to illustrate their evil ways. It seems the boatie may not be at fault. Sounds like he would have killed the downed rider on his side of the road if he hadn't braked and swerved. I likely wouldn't have done any different... and I'm not even an evil boatie.

Meanie
16th December 2008, 10:07
How they can get as pissed as they like and STILL drive a boat and there's no law against it - AND they don't need to have a licence nor register the boat nor pay ACC levies......hmmm I feel a campaign coming on.

Totaly agree with you, I have had boats for years, when i started getting serious i went out and did my boat masters certificate which is a little like a drivers license for boating. I believe anyone who wants to be in charge of a boat should at least have a day skipper certificate. You cant hire a boat overseas without one so why should you be able to drive a boat here without some sort of training.
oops, off topic ..... sorry about that

imdying
16th December 2008, 11:41
It seems the boatie may not be at fault. Sounds like he would have killed the downed rider on his side of the road if he hadn't braked and swerved.The boatie is obliged to travel at a speed by where he can stop in the visible distance.

Katman
16th December 2008, 11:53
The boatie is obliged to travel at a speed by where he can stop in the visible distance.

Does the same go for motorcyclists in the Buller Gorge?

Deano
16th December 2008, 12:04
Does the same go for motorcyclists in the Buller Gorge?

Dude - that has been to court and you know the outcome. Let it go.

SDU
16th December 2008, 12:17
Well,.. people say we are freaks for owning Moto Guzzis !!!

What u talkin about willis:oi-grr:

Glad you got away fairly lightly injury wise Dodgyiti, hope you heal well & fast.

What lovely Guzzi were you on at the time? Hope she's not too bad.

Katman
16th December 2008, 12:21
Dude - that has been to court and you know the outcome. Let it go.

Let it go? Fuck that.

There's too valuable a lesson there to just pretend it never happened.

imdying
16th December 2008, 12:28
Does the same go for motorcyclists in the Buller Gorge?Naturally, what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Okey Dokey
16th December 2008, 12:50
The Buller Gorge case hasn't been to court yet, has it?

sunhuntin
16th December 2008, 12:54
glad to hear it wasnt worse than a busted arm. sounds like it could easily have been two RIP threads instead.

they are building at least one passing lane near duddings lake [between wangas and bulls] from the looks of the works, its actually going to be two, resulting in a 4 lane stretch of road. im half expecting accidents to sky rocket when its completed due to boaties pulling out thinking all the other cars will be able to avoid them.

re; the boatie training. when i was in form 1, we had basic boat training doled out by a teacher who loved sailing etc. why the hell he thought it important to teach it to 11 year olds, i dont know. to this day, i still dont know what sides are starboard and port, or if those are even the right names! his lessons included flags i think, and we had to memorise what they meant. waste of time really for the majority of the class.

Deano
16th December 2008, 12:58
Let it go? Fuck that.

There's too valuable a lesson there to just pretend it never happened.

The Buller Gorge case hasn't been to court yet, has it?

I thought it had with the cop being found in the wrong.

If that is indeed the case the lesson is don't do a u turn on a corner.....duh.

discotex
16th December 2008, 12:59
to this day, i still dont know what sides are starboard and port

Left = Port
Right = Starboard

Easy to remember L&P go together.

sunhuntin
16th December 2008, 13:13
goes to show how crap the teacher was! weeks of having it drilled in, and i still didnt have a clue. one line from you, and ill remember that forever!