PDA

View Full Version : DR650 luggage ideas?

MotoRad-ical
14th December 2008, 19:28
Currently setting my 07 DR650 for traveling/adventure riding and hopefully soon the Dusty butt (Fuel tank permitting).

Any of you hard core bikers have links to some suitable websites that sell racks and saddle bags etc to suit this bike and any advice on the likes of these set ups?

Aslan
14th December 2008, 19:45
hi - ventura pack rack and kayak dry bag attached to pillion grab handles with bungy chords or a cargo net works for me. As to fuel capacity - like a number of other DR650 fans here I've purchased a larger IMS plastic tank from Just Gas Tanks in the US. cheers

Hitcher
14th December 2008, 19:45
www.givi.it

cooneyr
14th December 2008, 20:39
Gidday MotoRad-ical. Are you HOT's friend? I think we may have met at the Greymouth races?

I made bars that bolted to the pillion pegs and grab rail mounts then use throw over panniers (thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44080)). Since staring the thread I have used the bars and pillions a reasonable amount and apart from welding on a small tab to keep the RHS plastic of the exhaust can and an extra bend so they worked with the pillion pegs on, they worked really well. The alloy tube solution pics that Nordie posted (further down the the thread page) would be a really quick and easy solution that should work pretty well too.

With throw over panniers you end up sitting on the staps/fabric joining the two bags but it keeps the weight forward and low which really helps with handling. I was just as fast with loaded panniers on as I was when with not luggage. Try to not put too much weight high and back i.e. on a tail rack as it mucks with the handling. I never ended up using the top box much as I didn't like every thing bouncing around in it.

I still have the panniers but not the bars (sold the bike) if you want to borrow them for the DB1k (send me a PM). They don't work with the exhaust can on the XTZ (it would melt a hole in them).

Cheers R

MotoRad-ical
15th December 2008, 20:49
I've purchased a larger IMS plastic tank from Just Gas Tanks in the US. cheers

Just ordered that. It should be here this week or next as thats the only thing holding me back from the dusty butt at this stage.

MotoRad-ical
15th December 2008, 20:59
Gidday MotoRad-ical. Are you HOT's friend?

HOT! HA! Rumour has it shes some old crazzed nut going through a mid life crises. I also heard she punted past a cop well over 200 clicks coming back from Greymouth street race.

I'd stay well clear of people with an attitude toward authorities like that! :msn-wink::rofl:

MotoRad-ical
15th December 2008, 21:07
I still have the panniers but not the bars (sold the bike) if you want to borrow them for the DB1k (send me a PM). They don't work with the exhaust can on the XTZ (it would melt a hole in them).

Thats awsome! :2thumbsup I'll see how I go with rails etc and all the links that TLDV8 has put up cause there exactly what I want I totally agree with your thoughts on weight and keeping it low the way you've got them sitting in one of the pics is how I wanted them to sit.

helenoftroy
15th December 2008, 21:12
HOT! HA! Rumour has it shes some old crazzed nut going through a mid life crises. I also heard she punted past a cop well over 200 clicks coming back from Greymouth street race.

I'd stay well clear of people with an attitude toward authorities like that! :msn-wink::rofl:

Sshh you!!dont tell everyone!!

:Oops:

Transalper
16th December 2008, 17:14
If all else fails with the luggage, I just put a bar on to hold the right side panel off the pipe and use some throw overs and tie em on to the pillion peg.
They sit there quite well but can scuff up the panels a little.
Yes the strap is over the seat but I try to position mine so I don't have to sit on that bit the whole ride.
There are already pictures floating about here somewhere.

98tls
16th December 2008, 17:18
May be worth pming TLDV8 for ideas,he currently spends a heap of time in the Aus outback on a DR.

MotoRad-ical
19th December 2008, 21:01
This might be a stupid question but where did TLDV8s web links and comments go????

JATZ
19th December 2008, 21:09
Bungies, back pack, and a small bag on yer back.

Job done

paulj
24th December 2008, 05:58
This works for me - Bartman rack, Pelicans, Nomad tank, Givi screen and such a crap colour scheme no one will ever want to steal it ... or ride it for that matter.