PDA

View Full Version : Best roads north of Auckand?

DonaldH
13th February 2005, 12:32
Other than the Coatsville road, does anyone of any good twisty roads to use a GSXR750 on. I am in the north shore area and new to NZ.

XTC
13th February 2005, 12:49
The back way from Kaukapakapa to Wellsford SH16 is excellent. Even better start at the kumeu end of this road through the forest (starts at anandale rd I think) - Awesome.

Lord Pac
13th February 2005, 14:59
Sh27- albany to riverhead- nice road. then catch up onto old north/peak to welsford :niceone:

do a search on auckland roads! cheers!

Jackrat
13th February 2005, 18:20
After you've done Speedmedics run, head for Kaitaia Via the Mungamuka gorge and hill.This is THE best bit of road in northland.Then when you head south from Kaitaia take the road through Herekino/Broadlands and back out to Mungamuka bridge where you will have done a complete circle. :niceone:
Enjoy.

magnum
15th February 2005, 21:03
hello and welcome.east coast from whakatane round to gisbourne,awesome :spudwave:

Pixie
2nd April 2005, 10:11
Other than the Coatsville road, does anyone of any good twisty roads to use a GSXR750 on. I am in the north shore area and new to NZ.
West Coast rd / Woodcocks rd is almost completely sealed now(about 1500 m left to do & work is proceeding.)
Goes from Araparera on highway 16 to Warkworth.
steep country,first half twisty second half open.Hillbilly country.
Do the loop up to Wellsford,back down S.H. 16.
:banana: :2thumbsup

Pixie
2nd April 2005, 10:19
After you've done Speedmedics run, head for Kaitaia Via the Mungamuka gorge and hill.This is THE best bit of road in northland.Then when you head south from Kaitaia take the road through Herekino/Broadlands and back out to Mungamuka bridge where you will have done a complete circle. :niceone:
Enjoy.
Then down the Kaikohe to Maungatapere Rd (Twin bridges Rd)
Maungatapere to Otaika
S.H.1 to Puwera (coupla km's)
Puwera to Maungakaramea to Paparoa. :banana: :banana:

Pixie
2nd April 2005, 10:22
The back way from Kaukapakapa to Wellsford SH16 is excellent. Even better start at the kumeu end of this road through the forest (starts at anandale rd I think) - Awesome.
Starts at Highway 16 old north rd / taupaki rd intersection(near the new winery)

moko
2nd April 2005, 10:24
The A379 from Callington to Torpoint is one of the best bike roads you`ll ever find............it`s roughly 12,000 miles North of Auckland

roo
2nd April 2005, 11:05
West Coast rd / Woodcocks rd is almost completely sealed now(about 1500 m left to do & work is proceeding.)

Really? That is awesome. We used to go rally driving up in those hills (kaipara hills from memory?) as young bulletproof 17yearolds... I've often thought it would be nice if it were sealed and one could shoot across there.

Mungamuka gorge and hill.This is THE best bit of road in northland

Sorry Jackrat, but that prize goes to the Old Russel Road... a 46km piece of twisty-twisty-tire-eating-forearm-depleting-eye-popping-adrenalin-squirting-uber-mindblowing
tarseal that passes through some of the most beautiful northeast coast scenery (I've nearly run off the road a couple of times coming over a brow and being greeted by a bazillion dollar view), with almost _zero_ traffic.
I have yet to see better anyway. :2thumbsup