PDA

View Full Version : St Bathans' ghost.

martybabe
16th December 2008, 21:14
The tourist trail was a distant memory now,the days of elbowing our way in amongst the multitudinous camera clicking hoards to take a photo of a Glacier or mountain were long gone as we journeyed the road less travelled,onward to the real New Zealand. Destination St Bathans, more specifically The Vulcan Hotel and a night in the Haunted hostelry.

A brooding overcast day, a brief stop in a grave yard and nothing and no one for miles, set the scene perfectly as the fun bus screeched to a halt on the gravel car park opposite the the exceedingly ordinary looking, yet infamous, Vulcan Hotel and the reputedly haunted, room 1.

After much debate we booked in for the night and were shown to the room adjacent to spooksville central, we agreed to take it then settled down to a lovely meal and pondered the night ahead.

We were the only guests and according to the visitors book, only the third set of visitors in the last year, yes this was a happening place. Communication proved to be difficult that night as it often does for these wondering pomms, I ordered a pint of old dark, I got a Jug of VB, not once but twice. I reasoned with the apprehensive bride that alcohol in abundance was the best protection against Ghosts and Goolies, so as the night drew on and the little bar filled with country folk, we supped till we could sup no more and made our way to bed.

I locked the door and checked under the bed,I don't do scared as a rule but I'd decided there was no fookin way I was walking that corridor to the toilet at night so a nice porcelain sink would be the receptacle for my unwanted VB, if needed, and under the dresser lay an old potty should the bride be taken short.

We snuggled down into the comfy creaky old bed and noticed how dark dark can be "fooks me its black in the wop wops bride" says I "black as arseholes I reckon" I continued to deaf ears, for she had slipped away already.

It really was dark, so dark that I could not even see my Penis which usually nestles itself just under my chin when I sleep on my back :rolleyes:
I too succumbed to the affects of too much beer and slipped off to sleep....

At precisely 1.00 am, we were awoken to the most horrendous noise, the noise of the door to our room being forced , the handle was twisted vigorously and the door sounded like it was being shook off its hinges, in a blackness I have never before witnessed, in a forgotten hotel in the middle of nowhere in the early hours of the morning, something or someone, was tying to force its way into our room. After 20 seconds or so the attack ceased, nothing more was heard, not even footsteps away from the door.:shit:

I earnestly ask you now, Kbers of the night. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT

98tls
16th December 2008, 21:21
Will hazard a guess that Mr sensible was also staying there and had once again drunk to much,that aside after staying there myself way back then you were visited by a rather well known spook.:confused:

shafty
16th December 2008, 21:35
Aftere much hand wringing Marty, I discounted the rarkus being the Landlord attempting a mid-night attack after your cheque bounced. I also thought, since my wee bride and I have occaisioned on a night there also, it could be the ghost of one of my farts recognising you, - but then, it would surely be trying to escape the room.....

My bets on the ghost! :clap:

Merry Xmas Dude

martybabe
16th December 2008, 21:42
Aftere much hand wringing Marty, I discounted the rarkus being the Landlord attempting a mid-night attack after your cheque bounced. I also thought, since my wee bride and I have occaisioned on a night there also, it could be the ghost of one of my farts recognising you, - but then, it would surely be trying to escape the room.....

My bets on the ghost! :clap:

Merry Xmas Dude

Farkin heck, the ghost of one of your farts, now that is scary, gimme a Ghost any day :laugh:

A merry Xmas to you too Shafty mate, We must go for a pootle sometime soon.:niceone:

AlBundy
17th December 2008, 00:12
Awesome story....

Got another one?

ynot slow
17th December 2008, 06:58
Ghosts,some truth or rumour ?Who knows.

My great great grandmother/father owned it years ago,mum can recall as a girl similar things happening,very interesting talking to her about the ghost.She said her folks did say it was a chinese prospecter who got a huge nugget and was killed,interesting stories her family could recall,her uncle also owned it back in the 50's.

Trudes
17th December 2008, 07:09
Oh cool!!! The ghost story I've been eagerly awaiting!!!! :clap:*stocked up the camp fire in anticipation*
I can't bling you again so soon, but that was hilarious, thanks!!

martybabe
17th December 2008, 08:10
Ghosts,some truth or rumour ?Who knows.

Oh cool!!! The ghost story I've been eagerly awaiting!!!! :clap:*stocked up the camp fire in anticipation*
I can't bling you again so soon, but that was hilarious, thanks!!

Well, I can neither confirm or deny whether their is a Ghost at the Vulcan Hotel but I swear to you lovelies that the above story is absolutely true. Someone or something tried to force it's way into our room at 1.00 am in the morning and that in itself was bloody scary.

I've got my own opinion as to the cause but I thought it would be interesting to see what other saner folk think and to hear if anyone else has been 'spooked' in St Bathans. Interesting place by the way, 1 Hotel remains where once were 14, Irish, Welsh and many others, fiercely loyal to their ale houses and Gold holes, a mini gangs of New York going on way back when in old Otago.

GaZBur
17th December 2008, 08:32
Ummm... Imagine a drunk local, just finished boozing up in the bar. Doesn't want to drive home, so as usual wanders up to the room thats always vacant to pass out for the night. But wait - on trying the door its stuck! Give it a damn good rattle and push before dawning on a sodden brain that its actually locked! Bugger - wander off and sleep in the car instead.

More probable than a ghost but hell - who knows realy? (Fade out with spooky music)

Trudes
17th December 2008, 08:38
Well I've never been to St Bathans, but that bloody Larnach Castle made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!!:eek5:

MSTRS
17th December 2008, 08:38
MB - sure it wasn't you that let slip a silent deadly one...and what you heard was your dear wife desperately trying to survive?
:lol:

MIXONE
17th December 2008, 08:46
Well I've never been to St Bathans, but that bloody Larnach Castle made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!!:eek5:

I have slept in the haunted room twice!!!
With the help of my good mate Jack Daniels not a sound was heard all night(apart from my snoring apparently).
Knowing a little of the history of Larnach's Castle it does send shivers up my spine,especially in the dining room.A creepy place.

martybabe
17th December 2008, 08:55
MB - sure it wasn't you that let slip a silent deadly one...and what you heard was your dear wife desperately trying to survive?
:lol:

After 300 years of marriage, I've given up trying to gas her, she's developed an immunity to my sbds, as all brides do I guess. I did however damn near poop meself at about 1.01 am though :laugh:

martybabe
17th December 2008, 11:01

Ooh, where's that, I could stick it on the itinerary for the next tiki, scared of nothing me!
Except the bride of course, oh and the children and the dog.....:confused:

Trudes
17th December 2008, 11:37
Ooh, where's that, I could stick it on the itinerary for the next tiki, scared of nothing me!
Except the bride of course, oh and the children and the dog.....:confused:

Check it out, very cool, but I found it kinda spooky!!http://www.larnachcastle.co.nz/index.pasp?

martybabe
17th December 2008, 13:29
Check it out, very cool, but I found it kinda spooky!!http://www.larnachcastle.co.nz/index.pasp?

Coool, what an interesting place, I didn't even know there was a castle in NZ.

Thanks babe, that's one for the future. x

MIXONE
17th December 2008, 13:48
Coool, what an interesting place, I didn't even know there was a castle in NZ.

Thanks babe, that's one for the future. x

It's a the end of a peninsular which is a great ride.Go out the bottom road by the water and return over the top of the hills looking down.
Just don't do it on a foggy morning but that's a story for another time.:whistle:

martybabe
17th December 2008, 15:19
Just don't do it on a foggy morning but that's a story for another time.:whistle:

:wait::wait::whistle:

Pedrostt500
17th December 2008, 21:28
Fook me sorry mate lost me way to the bog.

Boob Johnson
17th December 2008, 21:52
L O L alright, great read Marty :laugh:

Could of been a Ghost, who knows. Not hearing foot steps leaving your front door after said rattling is interesting.

The last backpackers I ran had a death in room 1 (way before my time) & it was well known by all staff to feel a "presence" from time to time (the old Royal Hotel in New Plymouth). Never anything demonic or anything like that, actually quite calming I thought. I would often hear an audible noise like someone walking into the room, I would turn to see who it was & no one would be there, happened frequently.

martybabe
18th December 2008, 06:41
Fook me sorry mate lost me way to the bog.

No probs mate, kudos for walking that corridor in the dark though kid, I'd sooner have pissed in the brides hat than gone out there.:D

I would often hear an audible noise like someone walking into the room, I would turn to see who it was & no one would be there, happened frequently.

:gob: OOH, I don't know if I'd like that kid, in principal, I'd love to see a ghost, if they exist of course, but in reality I think I'd poop myself and squeal like a stuck pig. I'd sooner duke it out with a seven foot mad axeman than know there was something in a room and I couldn't see it. :yes: