PDA

View Full Version : 1st bike???

sphynxgo
13th February 2005, 14:23
hi all!

i have my learner's license for bout 5 months now but never had time to have use of it. guess im pretty busy and still saving up. now ive got the money im looking for my first bike (woohoo!!!). nyway, ive been looking to these bike dealers in wellington and ive seen this gsx250 for 6k. any opinions on these bikes? well i found a guy selling his gsx250 on trade and exchange for 3800 in hamilton have done about 4ks still mint. im also open on suggestions. really really want to have my 1st bike :banana: :banana: :banana:

:done:

Hitcher
13th February 2005, 14:36
The GSX250 is pretty bulletproof for a "wrapped in plastic" bike. But they handle like a bit of a whale (well, a lot like a whale actually). As a "new" bike they are reasonably priced compared to other new 250s and to many of the secondhand ones too for that matter. I'd buy something else.

The Honda VT250 is the pick of the new 250s and there are increasing numbers of grey imports of these too.

If you like v-twins, Honda Spadas are great bikes.

For in-line fours, I have a particular fondness for the Yamaha FZX250 Zeal. A Honda Jade is worth a look too.

The boi racers amongst us have a fondness for the Honda CBR250 and also those Kawasakis with the vacuum cleaner hoses all over the top of the tank. You will struggle to find good examples of these at reasonable prices.

Don't forget the 250 cruiser market. The Yamaha 250 Virago and the Kawasaki Eliminator are great fun to ride.

カワサキキド
13th February 2005, 14:39
Have a look at this members posts (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?searchid=243036)

Waylander
13th February 2005, 14:46
The GSX250 is pretty bulletproof for a "wrapped in plastic" bike. But they handle like a bit of a whale (well, a lot like a whale actually). As a "new" bike they are reasonably priced compared to other new 250s and to many of the secondhand ones too for that matter. I'd buy something else.

The Honda VT250 is the pick of the new 250s and there are increasing numbers of grey imports of these too.

If you like v-twins, Honda Spadas are great bikes.

For in-line fours, I have a particular fondness for the Yamaha FZX250 Zeal. A Honda Jade is worth a look too.

The boi racers amongst us have a fondness for the Honda CBR250 and also those Kawasakis with the vacuum cleaner hoses all over the top of the tank. You will struggle to find good examples of these at reasonable prices.

Don't forget the 250 cruiser market. The Yamaha 250 Virago and the Kawasaki Eliminator are great fun to ride.
Wahoo!!! go the Virago!!!:2thumbsup

sphynxgo
13th February 2005, 16:03
yeah i thought about getting one of those cruisers when i got my license but i thought i might just get a bike with fairings...thats why i fell in love with motorbikes on the 1st place. well, ive considered a zxr but i find it hard to look for in the market. where else can i look for a bike anyway?

XTC
13th February 2005, 16:10
Wahoo!!! go the Virago!!!:2thumbsup
Calm down..... Go take another pill and have a lie down :2thumbsup

Jantar
13th February 2005, 16:13
yeah i thought about getting one of those cruisers when i got my license but i thought i might just get a bike with fairings...

I would strongly recommend that for your 1st bike you do not get one with fairings. They look good, but they are expensive to fix, and as I have said in a previous thread along similar lines, You will crash. You will fall off, you will hit something.

Note that I say you WILL crash, not you might crash. Stick with an unfaired bike until you have had at 3 different types of bin. Then and only then progress to a plastic fantastic. You will apreciate it more, and it will not have cost you so much during your learning process.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, and remember there are plenty of folk on here that are prepared to help. :niceone:

Waylander
13th February 2005, 16:34
Calm down..... Go take another pill and have a lie down :2thumbsup
Funny thing is i just woke up from a short nap. Sat back and put the laptop down to watch some motorsport and wouldn't you know it I passed out. Might be time to put an end to my late nights on KB.:confused:

FROSTY
13th February 2005, 16:38
dude buy yaself a gnoo250 or even the sr250 yamaha--easy yo sell when ya aoutgrow it but basicly carsh proof.

SPORK
13th February 2005, 16:53
...Or:

What about an XR250? They are still new, look the shiznit, are meant to crash (well, almost), look awesome, sound amazing, look really good and are fun! Did I mention they look good?

MSTRS
13th February 2005, 17:01
not really made for the road tho. Still, damn good bikes. Here's mine

Racey Rider
13th February 2005, 17:42
The GSX250 is pretty bulletproof for a "wrapped in plastic" bike. But they handle like a bit of a whale (well, a lot like a whale actually).

Take note of what mr hitcher says, because, if anyone know what a WHALE is like to handle,, he does!! :killingme

O, you make it too easy!!

:apint:

SPORK
13th February 2005, 17:46
not really made for the road tho. Still, damn good bikes. Here's mine
I could never understand the colour schemes of the earlier models. The new ones look great, but the pre 2000 models are pretty off in my opinion.

Nice bike though! :niceone:

MSTRS
13th February 2005, 18:00
I could never understand the colour schemes of the earlier models. The new ones look great, but the pre 2000 models are pretty off in my opinion.

Nice bike though! :niceone:
Thanks....I think. Just in case :bleh:

sphynxgo
13th February 2005, 18:05
yeah the gsx has been the only bike ive ridden so i might check on some more probably try one of those naked bikes you guys said tommorow hopefully. cant wait to have my bike. thanks guys for the infos and help. i'd appreciate more of your advice!! :niceone:

MSTRS
13th February 2005, 18:20
Must be slipping....put it down to alzheimers. Welcome sphynxgo, good luck finding the right bike

Ramius
13th February 2005, 18:44
Have a look at this members posts (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?searchid=243036)

I read the first post and thought, nooo....not a GSX, very short gear ratios, power surges, demons oh my... :angry2:

And then as soon as I saw this post I said to myself, hmmm...I wonder who is this person talking about...probably me, and low and behold, it is true, it is me.

:confused:

カワサキキド
13th February 2005, 19:21
I couldn't resit, I was going to put your name in the post but your cursed gsx is famous round here, so I felt there was no need. :cool:

P.S. Get well soon :doctor:

カワサキキド
13th February 2005, 19:29
Hey sphynxgo, make sure you check out the 150's, they can go as hard as a 250 and are a lot of fun to throw around. Like the KRR ZX150 for example.