PDA

View Full Version : Vectrix electric maxi launched in NZ

klingon
17th December 2008, 08:58
I went to the launch of the Vectrix electric maxi scooter in Auckland last night.

OK OK before you start with the loud guffaws, you really should take a look at this thing! It looks stunning, sounds like a jet engine when it's taking off, and has fantastic accelleration and braking. It will cruise at 100 kph on the motorway no problem.

It's being sold in NZ by Scooter e-motion - a very reputable dealer. If you want a laugh (and you're prepared to have some of your scooter preconceptions challenged) book in a test ride.

www.vectrix.com.au

nodrog
17th December 2008, 09:03
ADVANCED THROTTLE -The multi-function throttle allows riders to accelerate and slow down with a simple twist of the throttle.

WOW, that is revolutionary.

klingon
17th December 2008, 09:22
WOW, that is revolutionary.

LOL smarty-pants!

Actually you twist the throttle in the usual way to accellerate, and the opposite way to assist with braking. Most of the time riding in the city you don't need to use the brakes at all, you just use the 'engine-braking' provided by this system.

vifferman
17th December 2008, 09:39
I'm not going to buy something if the videos on the website can't even run through one time without crapping out!
0-80km/h in 6.8 seconds?!? Wow!! That's like.... reeeeeeeealllly slow...

Badjelly
17th December 2008, 10:14
I'm quite interested in getting an electric bike/scooter, if I could find one that could handle the Wellington hills and made some sort of sense economically. (I'm a save-the-planet, reduce-my-carbon-footprint kind of guy. Yeah, so shoot me.)

Er, what's it going to cost?

klingon
17th December 2008, 10:49
I'm quite interested in getting an electric bike/scooter, if I could find one that could handle the Wellington hills and made some sort of sense economically. (I'm a save-the-planet, reduce-my-carbon-footprint kind of guy. Yeah, so shoot me.)

You'll be getting no bullets from me! Why wouldn't you use the low-emissions option if there was a good one available?

The Vectrix maxi will definitely handle the Wellington hills and costs nearly nothing to run and maintain (they tell me it has only 9 [yes nine] moving parts!)

Er, what's it going to cost?

Now you've got down to the heart of the matter. It's going to cost something like $16k. I've already written a note to Santa but I don't like my chances :weep:

Badjelly
17th December 2008, 10:58
Now you've got down to the heart of the matter. It's going to cost something like $16k. I've already written a note to Santa but I don't like my chances :weep:

That's a show-stopper.

I currently commute on a Yamaha Scorpio that consumes fuel at 3.3 l/100 km (on a hilly route). Before that I used a Mazda Famila that got 10 l/100 km. So I'm saving 6.7 l/100 km. I do 4000 km per year, so that's saving 268 litres per year. At $1.50 per litre that's $400. The Scorpio cost $4000 odd (and we haven't sold the car). It's going to be a while before that investment pays for itself. (But riding the bike is fun!) Repeat the sums with an electric vehicle that's much more economical, but 4 times as expensive. I know money isn't everything, but...

klingon
17th December 2008, 11:12
That's a show-stopper.

I currently commute on a Yamaha Scorpio that consumes fuel at 3.3 l/100 km (on a hilly route). Before that I used a Mazda Famila that got 10 l/100 km. So I'm saving 6.7 l/100 km. I do 4000 km per year, so that's saving 268 litres per year. At $1.50 per litre that's $400. The Scorpio cost $4000 odd (and we haven't sold the car). It's going to be a while before that investment pays for itself. (But riding the bike is fun!) Repeat the sums with an electric vehicle that's much more economical, but 4 times as expensive. I know money isn't everything, but...

Yeah I agree. Great idea & everything, but at that price they're going to be struggling to sell them. Like all new technology I suppose, the first batch will be crazy-expensive then they will come down in price fairly fast once the volume goes up.

At the launch they showed a video of the Vectrix being assembled, and it was all done by hand - no robotic production lines there. They were designed by some designer from Ducati and they're assembled in Europe, using a lot of the Ducati components.

I know - none of that justifies the price. We'll just have to hope they become more affordable in the near future.