PDA

View Full Version : WOW !!

trev
13th February 2005, 21:28
haven't the horses got big - especially since my T500 Titan ( how many of you know what that is ?? )
I stroked santas leg & got a ZX9R E2 ( finally - last Sunday). Went for my second ride tonight & I am sure I was passed by a Honda 50cc step-thru Talk about rusty.
It's been 20 years since I've owned a bike & except for a few blats on my mates FZ750T 20 years since I have regularly ridden.
I will post a photo in the next few days so you can give me a wave as you fly past.
My bike misses & backfires occasionally which pisses me off as it supposedly had a 12,000 service just before I bought it. I will get it seen to but would appreciate some feed-back as to the best place in Auckland to take it to. I have no trouble paying but I expect results.
Hopefully i will meet some of you at Paeroa.

Jackrat
13th February 2005, 21:43
Mt Eden Motorcycles (again)
T500,yeah had a few of em'.
Welcome aboard ya' old fart
:Oops:Well you did give it away mate :msn-wink:

ching_ching
13th February 2005, 22:19
Kia ora bro,

Welcome... oh yeah and don't forget to wave. :spudwave: (Seems to be a constant topic of discussion. :spudwhat:

ching

Biff
13th February 2005, 23:03
Welcome :spudwave:

LB
14th February 2005, 04:03
Hi Trev. Welcome to the KB gargre.

T500 - yeah, had one myself some time ago. (Kick start on the "wrong" side!) There's a guy who races one in the Post Classic class, neat to see it out there! .

Riff Raff
14th February 2005, 06:36
Welcome to KB :wavey: and welcome back to the world of biking :ride:

Joni
14th February 2005, 06:37
Hi Trev....

Yup I will be at Paeroa, hope to see you there!

:spudwave:

MSTRS
14th February 2005, 08:09
Ah....yeah...gidday, Trev. T500....hmmm, the first 'big bore' 2 stroke, aka 'Titan'. Had one in 1974 & another in 1982. About 40hp if I remember correctly. Yeah, bikes & engines have come a long way since those days. Good to see another old fart returning to the fold. Take it easy on that beast of yours.

XTC
14th February 2005, 08:14
Welcome... I had a T250 but dreamed of owning a T500 :) the headers were huge. But then I discovered the CB400F super sport and fell in love....

vifferman
14th February 2005, 08:14
Hi, Trev! Welcome to Kiwi Biker! :spudwave:

Yeah, I remember the Titan - never owned one, but knew two people who did, and did a few miles on the back of one of theirs. Odd bike - one of the few that looks like it had a 3-person seat, and (IIRC) was set up so the the brake and gear levers could be swapped from one side of the bike to the other?

Fryin Finn
14th February 2005, 08:43
I rode a Suzuki Titan once. Only the once mind you. It didn't have the love of corners that my RD350 had.

MSTRS
14th February 2005, 08:44
Hi, Trev! Welcome to Kiwi Biker! :spudwave:

Yeah, I remember the Titan - never owned one, but knew two people who did, and did a few miles on the back of one of theirs. Odd bike - one of the few that looks like it had a 3-person seat, and (IIRC) was set up so the the brake and gear levers could be swapped from one side of the bike to the other?
You might be right. The Titan was designed for the US market, first came out in 1968 I think. Later models were detuned as there were a lot of riders couldn't handle the early ones. They definitely changed the motorcycling world.

sels1
14th February 2005, 08:47
Welcome aboard Trev, good to see another born again biker - there's a few of us here!

Pwalo
14th February 2005, 09:04
Greetings. Always liked those ZX 9's. Hope that you get the probs sorted, sounds like jetting. Are you running an aftermarket pipe?

Had a T125 back in '75. It had the kick start on the left side as well. Faster than all the other 125s at that time though.

It's only when you think back to what you used to ride that you realise how good things are today. Tyres, suspension, frames that don't flex, riding gear etc.

trev
14th February 2005, 11:16
Pwalo,
it has a kerker can. According to Mt. Eden Motorcycles the ZX9Rs have voltage regulator problems. Evidently they ocassionally allow excess charge through & it screws up the timing. This might be of use to someone else.
I'm taking it in tomorrow.

vifferman
14th February 2005, 11:25
You might be right. The Titan was designed for the US market, first came out in 1968 I think. Later models were detuned as there were a lot of riders couldn't handle the early ones. They definitely changed the motorcycling world.
Nearly changed me too!
I used to live on a road that was 1.5km long and sloped up hill. We lived near the top of the road. My sister's boyfriend borrowed his mate's Titan to visit my sister (coz his CB350 was broken - he never did any maintenance on it). I asked him if he could give me a lift to a friend's house one Saturday, so he did. On the way down our road he tried (not for the first time, he later admitted!) to crack 'the ton'. Got up to just under 100mph indicated.
During the day.
In town.
With your normal Saturday afternoon traffic around.

Feckin eeedjit... :confused:

MSTRS
14th February 2005, 11:59
Nearly changed me too!
I used to live on a road that was 1.5km long and sloped up hill. We lived near the top of the road. My sister's boyfriend borrowed his mate's Titan to visit my sister (coz his CB350 was broken - he never did any maintenance on it). I asked him if he could give me a lift to a friend's house one Saturday, so he did. On the way down our road he tried (not for the first time, he later admitted!) to crack 'the ton'. Got up to just under 100mph indicated.
During the day.
In town.
With your normal Saturday afternoon traffic around.

Feckin eeedjit... :confused:
And your point is....? :laugh: Both of mine could hit the ton in 3rd, 110/115 in 4th, but stick 'em into 5th and speed dropped back to 105ish. 4th & 5th gears were both overdrive ratios. 4 = .98:1 , 5 = .89:1 not enough horses to push that top gear. Very long wheelbase & heavy too - built for long distance really, but I used to have a lot of fun on the 'Takas with my first one.

Motu
14th February 2005, 13:05
They were tall geared alright - and had the longest swing arm made,looked like 1/2in water pipe.

PSYCHO
14th February 2005, 13:32
Welcome aboard Trev. Good to see another Kwaka owner here. Very good bikes the 9's, I've had 2 c1's (R.I.P).

You say the bike has a can .It could be as simple as removing the "kleen-air" b/s which can cause a "backfire" on overrun when a pipe has been fitted.
Very simple procedure.

I'd love to see a pic.

Jantar
14th February 2005, 21:07
Another warm welcome Trev. Its a pity that today's motorbikes just can't compare to the thrill of the Titan. They were a top ride for their day, a bit like owning a Busa in today's world. :niceone:

SPORK
14th February 2005, 21:22
Welcome and enjoy :banana:

(Honda PT)

magnum
15th February 2005, 21:01
hello trev,nice bike btw,bit like mine really only biggerererer :spudwave:

riffer
16th February 2005, 07:15
Another warm welcome Trev. Its a pity that today's motorbikes just can't compare to the thrill of the Titan. They were a top ride for their day, a bit like owning a Busa in today's world. :niceone:

Hmm. The Huyabusa of 1970?

Yeah they were long but not that fast. A mate of mine had one back in 1985. I rode it a few times. It was quick-ish but there's no way it would have beat my IT400 over the Wainuiomata hill. And My IT had worn knobblies on it! Higher top speed than the IT though. They sounded pretty cool too.

And I remember that steering too - it was a touch slow.

Welcome aboard Trev.