PDA

View Full Version : How to make a scooter go faster

SMOKEU
19th December 2008, 11:43
I have a standard as Honda Melody 50cc and I want to increase the top speed a bit without spending lots of money on it. I was thinking about getting a pod filter for it, but what other cheap mods could I do?

Vacarious
20th December 2008, 20:11
isnt a pod filter just another waY of filtering the air going into the combustion chamber? so it should really make it go slower on such a small engine... i personally think you would be going backwards

piston broke
20th December 2008, 20:19
um,push it over a cliff.;):dodge:

rat biker 08
20th December 2008, 20:27
Put a match to it it will go very fast up in flames :bleh::lol::lol::lol:

MVnut
20th December 2008, 21:56
The only way is to start with a faster scooter anyway, my mate hotted up his Italjet 180 and now his Gilera Nexus.... both very exciting

steelestring
21st December 2008, 10:31
Start running and loose some weight!
Pump up the tires
Check the plug is not full of deposit
Serious....
Check if your zoorst port is not blocked up with carbon, scape it out. I used to hoon around on a nifty. Used to get slower and slower... then i would clean out the zooorst pipe and port and would go like a hair dryer again.

hayd3n
21st December 2008, 11:03
a friend of mine got his bored out managed to get another 10 ks out of it but fot 500 bucks is it worth it???

ajturbo
21st December 2008, 11:31
you loose some weight.. and make the bike lighter..

the cheapest form of power gains anyone can do

SMOKEU
26th December 2008, 20:26
I'm quite light so I don't need to lose any weight, I was thinking about putting a pod filter on and maybe getting a small expansion chamber off another bike for it. Or maybe even a bigger carby. It's got enough bottom end grunt for a 50 but it just tops out to low, I would like to get it to do at least 60kmh on a flat surface with no wind.

smoky
26th December 2008, 20:31
I have a standard as Honda Melody 50cc and I want to increase the top speed a bit without spending lots of money on it. I was thinking about getting a pod filter for it, but what other cheap mods could I do?
put it on a trailer and tow it behind a car

CB ARGH
26th December 2008, 20:43
Can I just say something... what is the point? :dodge:

I agree with the option of you losing some weight, the lighter the ride, the faster you go.

Take apart the carbies and give them a good clean. I usually just clean them with petrol and a small brush, I use an air blowgun to clean out the small tubes and shit.

Clean the exhaust if you're that desperate... messy job though.

I just don't see the point man.

BTW a POD filter would do sweet fuck all.

hospitalfood
26th December 2008, 20:56
dont do the pod filter ! it will probably run like shit.

you can:-
put in a performance filter ( will affect mix )
put on a performance muffler ( will affect mix )
re-jet carb or put on bigger carb ( will affect mix )

if you stuff you mix it will run like shit and possibly blow engine, so after doing anything drive it straight to a dyno-tune.

ps, it is not worth doing any of this stuff, get a bigger bike mate.

gixxer-king
7th January 2009, 15:22
ok well.

1 bigger main jets - more fuel
2 free flowing filter - more air
3 hotter running spark plugs and if you can get a better cdi for it - more spark
4 remove baffle from exhaust/change exhaust - more air out.

main engine mods done should set you back about $600

now for fun, some have a panel washer in the gearbox stopping it from gaining too much speed remove this problem and get a better top speed.
adjust carb mix if you have done any engine work
take any restrictors off the carby.
bigger back wheel or smaller sprocket on it. better top speed (no good if you cant get there)

oh and of course like any thing- the fun police state that a moped mustnt be allowed to exceed 55kph so whatever you do, dont drive over 50kph on it

gixxer-king
7th January 2009, 15:22
oh and please bling me if this helps. I feel like a hug

tri boy
7th January 2009, 18:42
Wanna go faster? Insert $$$$$.
Port timing mods, Squish band/combustion chamber mods/decent exhaust system/decent reed blocks/polished inner crankcasing/performance pistons/ ............the list is endless, but I bet your bank balance isn't.
Save up for a motorcycle:msn-wink:

The Pastor
7th January 2009, 20:13
just change the fuel, run it on nitromethane from the model stores - put about 1/4 a cup in a tank of gas.

UberRhys
7th January 2009, 20:34
just change the fuel, run it on nitromethane from the model stores - put about 1/4 a cup in a tank of gas.

hmmm, sounds interesting. care to elaborate...

The Pastor
7th January 2009, 20:41
its the stuff RC cars and planes run on, also the drag cars use it to.

gixxer-king
8th January 2009, 08:55
Nitrous Oxide System if your really keen. its been done before, goes like a rocket, all the way to the garage just in time to give it a rebuild.

The Pastor
8th January 2009, 08:57
the nitro from the modle stores is the liquid from of nos and is waaaay cheaper, easy to mix it to your desired performance gain etc etc

Sully60
8th January 2009, 09:09
Push it out the back door of one of these (http://www.airforce.mil.nz/nr/rdonlyres/75f3290c-db74-496d-83a0-84ea5a8cf44c/0/c130fsmodel.jpg)

All of the aforementioned methods (the serious ones) of tuning two-stroke engine seem valid.

The issue with scooters and the way the transmission works is matching the drive engagement to the torque characteristics of the engine. You could end up improving the performance of the engine considerably and end up with a slower scooter because the peak torque is generated at a rev range that is never achieved with the standard trans. It takes some experimentation with the centrifugal drive roller weights etc to get this right.
Unfortunately for you these parts may not be readily available for the Melody. The earlier model Japanese scooters weren't really thought of as things worth hotting up and as such performance bit for these are difficult if not impossible to find.If you want to tune a moped get a Piaggio, or if you can a Suzuki TR50, now that's a scooter!

Morcs
8th January 2009, 09:19
I'm quite light so I don't need to lose any weight, I was thinking about putting a pod filter on and maybe getting a small expansion chamber off another bike for it. Or maybe even a bigger carby. It's got enough bottom end grunt for a 50 but it just tops out to low, I would like to get it to do at least 60kmh on a flat surface with no wind.

Seriously. why bother.

Get a decent scooter. Even if you want to stay on a 50 there are some good options. My Gilera DNA 50 used to top out at 105kph.

gixxer-king
10th January 2009, 16:27
theres some clown on trademe selling scooters designed to do wheel stands.

Sully60
10th January 2009, 17:01
theres some clown on trademe selling scooters designed to do wheel stands.

You've got my attention, now where's the link?!

motorbyclist
10th January 2009, 21:14
i've heard that pods filters (once the mix has been corrected so it doesn't seize) can make a noticable difference to small motors like these....

and expansion chamber is a finely tuned piece of equipment so don't expect miracles from swapping from other bikes

and remember anything you do to make it faster will ultimately shorten it's life

so you're better off buying a decent scooter/small bike to begin with

and i'm told that technically if you put out more that 2.2KW it's no longer classed as a moped