PDA

View Full Version : Southern Coast ADV ride (14-15 Feb)

Pages : [1] 2

marks
20th December 2008, 20:43
calendar thingy here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-2-14&c=0)

***STOP PRESS*** Aslan and his wife have kindly offered to Host a BBQ starting 6pm on Friday (13th) night in Lower Hutt. Bring meat/drink and gold coin. Salads/breads and great company provided. PM Aslan if attending and he will PM back directions/contact info. Be there or be square.

A nice 2 day trip winding through some of the awesome roads of the Wairarapa area. A mixture of brilliant twisty seal, great gravel combined with a couple of knarlyish 4wd tracks should make a nice way to spend a weekend :scooter:.
All names are straigh out of Google maps to make searching the route easy.
Dates are weekend of 14th/15th Feb.

There will be 3 interesting/challenging options:
Sat morning: Orongorongo to Wharekauhau (beach track with some nasty stony bits and sinky sandy bits - approx 3 hrs)
Sat afternoon: Haurangi Rd to Sutherlands Hut (4wd track with multiple stream crossings - some with steep entry/exits - approx 4 hrs return).
Sunday morning: Makiro track (rutted grass track approx 1-1.5m wide with some steep drop offs - slippery when wet - approx 2hrs end to end).

For each interesting/challenging option there will also be an easier (but still interesting) alternative.
I recommend decent tires (TKC80/E09 type are fine) and some form of engine protection for the interesting/challenging options.

Da plan so far:

Saturday 14th Feb
Meet at BP on Wainuiomata Rd (cnr of Fraser St) just past the shops in Wainuiomata at 9am on Saturday morning. Leave 9.15-9.30
Easy option: Head up to Upper Hutt (maybe via Whitemans Valley Rd if a local leads the way?) and over the Rimutukas. Right at Featherston and head down Featherston Cross Creek Rd into Western Lake Rd (awesome tar) south to Wharekauhau and west along Western Bay Rd to meet up with other group.
Interesting Option: south on Coast Rd to Orongorongo. Cost $15 per head for private farm access. Follow coast east untill Wharekauhau.

Head via East West Access Rd to Toppys in Martinborough for lunch.

Easy option: Out on Hinakura Rd and Pahaoa Rd to east coast then part way back to Hinakura and right into Moeraki Rd and over Admiral Range to Admiral Rd. Then off to Gladstone pub for a drink before heading to Carterton Holiday park for evening.
Interesting Option: south to Dry River Rd and via Blue Rock Rd to Haurangi Rd which ends at a 4wd track into the Aorangi Forest Park to Sutherlands Hut. Back by Ruakokoputuna Rd and Te Muna Rd to Martinborough Masterton Rd and off to the Gladstone pub to catch up with the softies for a drink before heading to Carterton for the night.

Accomodation for Sat night
Carterton Holiday Park (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=carterton+holiday+park&fb=1&split=1&cid=0,0,8568614003123090555&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image) - 198 Belvedere Rd - 06-3798267
Self contained cabins (4 left) ranging from $70-$85 for 2 ppl + $5 for sheets etc.
Basic cabins $40 for 2 (extra ppl $10 each - max 4) + $5 sheets
Tent sites are available for the terminally insane
get in quick - when booking say yiu are with the motorcycle group.

Sunday 15th Feb
Possible side trip up to Mt Dick via Dalefield Rd
Then up SH2 to Masterton (boring). Onto Te Ore Ore Bideford Rd to Bideford and onto Wairiri Rd then Daggs Rd and right onto SH52. Left into Pori Rd and then left into Pahiatua Pongaroa Rd and west to Ngaturi. Right onto Millers Rd , right then left to get onto Waituna Rd. Right into Makiro Rd. Regroup and split at intersection of Kumeroa Rd and Makairo Rd

Easy option: West down Kumeroa Rd and right into Waituna Rd, Left onto Pahaheke rd, Right onto River Rd, Left onto Hopelands Rd, Left onto SH2
Through Woodville (Coffee if you must) , Right onto Woodlands Rd and onto Whariti rd continuing up to Whariti peak (rough gravel road, easy 4WD track - a bit steep in places - 920m high - great views). Return to SH3, and turn right then left onto Balance Gorge Rd, left onto Balance Gorge road. Right onto Pahiatua Mangahao Rd and into Pahiatua for late lunch.

Interesting Option: Makiro Rd onto Makiro track and then either retrace our steps back over the Makairo track and out to Pahiutua or via Coonor Rd and right into Pahiatua Pongaroa Rd out to Pahiatua meeting Easy option people for late lunch.

Northen riders: sod off home after lunch.
Southern riders: - possible loop over North Range Rd then down Pahiatua Track to SH57. South to Shannon (maybe coffee) and back towards Wellington.

who's interested?

cheers

Mark

Paladin
20th December 2008, 21:00
Dave (Paladin) has sorted out access between Wellington and the southern Wairarapa coast (info here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88522))

This would allow a nice 2 day trip winding through some of the awesome roads of the Wairarapa area. A mixture of brilliant twisty seal, great gravel combined with a couple of knarlyish 4wd tracks would make a nice way to spend a weekend :scooter:.

Trip would start on Saturday morning in Wellington and finish for the northeners somewhere like Woodville or Pahiatua early/mid afternoon Sunday and back in Wellington a couple of hours later for everyone else.

Initial dates are weekend of 14th/15th Feb - unless that conflicts with another major ride?

who's interested?

cheers

Mark

Damn Mark, you're right on top of it aren't you! :cool:

Yep, I'm in for this one & those dates are fine for me.

GSers
20th December 2008, 21:24
Dave (Paladin) has sorted out access between Wellington and the southern Wairarapa coast (info here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88522))

This would allow a nice 2 day trip winding through some of the awesome roads of the Wairarapa area. A mixture of brilliant twisty seal, great gravel combined with a couple of knarlyish 4wd tracks would make a nice way to spend a weekend :scooter:.

Trip would start on Saturday morning in Wellington and finish for the northeners somewhere like Woodville or Pahiatua early/mid afternoon Sunday and back in Wellington a couple of hours later for everyone else.

Initial dates are weekend of 14th/15th Feb - unless that conflicts with another major ride?

who's interested?

cheers

Mark

Mark are you going to take your heavy adventure bike on this or one of your lighter ones?
Do you think one of those Overweight Oil Heads would make it around there.
I think I'm interested sounds like it would be a great trip.
I have been around there before a bl--dy long time ago by 4WD
From the Featherston side around and up the Orongorongo River and up over the top into Wainui it was a great trip then and well worth another visit.
I'll keep an eye on this post.
regards GSers

pete376403
20th December 2008, 23:35
I'd say I'm in for this. I do have something else planned for that Saturday but it's not as important as a ride.

marks
21st December 2008, 08:54
Mark are you going to take your heavy adventure bike on this or one of your lighter ones?
Do you think one of those Overweight Oil Heads would make it around there.

I will be on my heavy adventure bike - it should be a breeze on your morbidly obese whale :yes:

young1
21st December 2008, 09:19
At this stage that date suits me, sure it is for the bigger bikes?

marks
21st December 2008, 09:26
At this stage that date suits me, sure it is for the bigger bikes?

would I lie to you? :eek:

everything will be big bikable although the Sutherlands Hut track and the Makairo track need sensible tires.

I haven't done Turakirae Head to Ocean Beach bit yet - if its too knarly for KTM's I'll let you know well in advance :niceone:

CrazyFrog
21st December 2008, 11:25
Count me in, can do either Waitangi weekend or 14/15 Feb. Any excuse for a road trip....:2thumbsup

young1
21st December 2008, 13:09
would I lie to you? :eek:

hmmmm .....

Aslan
21st December 2008, 19:07
in principle Mark - I'm in! thanks for taking the initiative - sounds like fun :scooter:

marks
22nd December 2008, 07:27
well the sun is shining and work is quiet so I spose I'll sacrifice the day and go and do some in depth research in the 'rapa :yes:

Crisis management
22nd December 2008, 07:38
I'm interested....I just need to consult with the social organiser and see if I'm "allowed" to be interested. I imagine any final decisiion on that front will have to wait until I've softened her up over the next week or so.

Is this the alternate CCA?

MXNUT
22nd December 2008, 09:38
who's interested?

cheers

Mark

Well done that man

signed up already and counting the days down.

Tony W
22nd December 2008, 15:52
I'm interested....I just need to consult with the social organiser and see if I'm "allowed" to be interested. I imagine any final decisiion on that front will have to wait until I've softened her up over the next week or so.

Is this the alternate CCA?

Jeeez ! ...that's a long way for you, there and back in one day...:eek:...!!!

OV Lander
22nd December 2008, 20:20
Would be, but will be away that weekend - sorry!

XF650
22nd December 2008, 23:55
I'v added my name to the list, as long as you guys don't mind a slow, unfit, mature rider on an overloaded 2 smoke tagging along.
I'm in Upper Hutt on 11th & 12th with work anyway, so it just means riding up instead of flying.
Not sure how I'm going to convince the wife that it's actually a "work" trip though - my cunning plan could yet be torpedoed.

Paladin
23rd December 2008, 09:15
Hi guys,

Just a quick report back on the booking with Orongorongo Station.

Owner currently away, spoke with owners daughter who said there is a big coast mountain bike event already booked for Feb that may clash with our dates or may be Waitangi Day weekend, she wasn't sure, but date has not been put in diary as yet! :argh:

She will update me as soon as she can! Fingers crossed!

While I had her on the phone I did a double check on exiting east out of the Station just to be absolutely sure and she confirmed absolutely definitely yes once off their Station it's clear access through to Ocean Beach, no other landowners blocking the way! :woohoo:

Will update as soon as I hear back from them on the dates.

Crisis management
23rd December 2008, 10:23
Jeeez ! ...that's a long way for you, there and back in one day...:eek:...!!!

Easy....... you soft lot need to HTFU

Actually thinking more of a few days & a loop down the west & back up the east.

marks
23rd December 2008, 17:22
this (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8658359#post8658359) should give you guys an idea about what we might do on the ride.

The tings I do to keep you guys informed :)

Paladin
23rd December 2008, 17:32
this (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8658359#post8658359) should give you guys an idea about what we might do on the ride.

Looks like another awesome ride there Mark!

Got that pylon track on my list to do over the holiday period!:cool:

Balrog
23rd December 2008, 17:41

:) nice pics

magicfairy
23rd December 2008, 17:51
check out Red Rocks thread. The Makairo has claimed another. Jims (aka BusaJim, aka Balrog) leg is infected from that hit he took on that ride. :doctor:

Hopefully the antibiotics will catch it before he gets landed in hospital for the worst Xmas ever :no:

So it's off the bike, leg up, and do nothing for a while.

Crisis management
24th December 2008, 09:59
So it's off the bike, leg up, and do nothing for a while.

Wot, so no leg over for Xmas? Do some magic Fairy, do some magic!

magicfairy
26th December 2008, 10:24
Good news.

He's coming right after some expert nursing care. Thank god, he is NOT a good patient. Something to do with having no bloody patience.

As for the leg over..."my leg's sore, I'll just lie here and you can get on top"

Waihou Thumper
28th December 2008, 10:44
calendar thingy here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&ea=attend&e=1833)

who's interested?

cheers

Mark

I can get down there Friday evening if all goes according to plan. I look forward to meeting up with you guys once again! Might just be me this time, the ole fella on the big beast might not make it....
The KTM will look forward to another good dirt ride, this time I am staying upright!

Paladin
7th January 2009, 20:42
Hi guys,

The owners at Orongorongo Station are not back until 12th & 15th Jan so can't get the Orongorongo Station access for Feb 14th confirmed until next week - fingers crossed!

Sat Jan 10th some of us will be doing a reccie of the Orongorongo Station 4wd coast track so we can report back for planning the Southern Coast ADV ride.
Details of Sat Jan 10th reccie ride here if anyone wants to come along:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88522&page=3

Aslan
7th January 2009, 20:49
love to join you and MarkS Dave, however feel I've used my discretionary points allocation for this fortnight with the Dusty Butt:soon:

Paladin
11th January 2009, 08:59
Hi guys,

The owners at Orongorongo Station are not back until 12th & 15th Jan so can't get the Orongorongo Station access for Feb 14th confirmed until next week - fingers crossed!

Just (finally!) found the internet listing of the potential mountain bike ride clash for our dates of needing access across Orongorongo Station(thx to Pete376403 for the name of it - the Big Coast!) and its on MARCH 14th/15th SO DOES NOT clash with our dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

So unless there's some other event the Orongorongo Station owner hasn't put in her diary yet that her daughter didn't know about, we should be fine for Feb 14th! :woohoo: I'll be on the phone to them this week as already advised.

The next issue for Orongorongo will be whether the really big bikes like the BMW1150/1200's wanna be going over that boulder-field-of-a-slip we rode thru yesterday???????

pampa
11th January 2009, 19:27
I may if can sort the bike out (no reply for my order yet) but will join for the day only.

cheers,
Pampa

Cary
11th January 2009, 19:29
Sat Jan 10th some of us will be doing a reccie of the Orongorongo Station 4wd coast track so we can report back for planning the Southern Coast ADV ride.

Details of Sat Jan 10th reccie ride here if anyone wants to come along:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88522&page=3

Just viewed the pics from your reccie ride, You fellas have a good trip....the Tigers hidden itself under a tarp in the back of the garage..............:gob:

tri boy
11th January 2009, 19:33
the Tigers hidden itself under a tarp in the back of the garage..............:gob:

Nothing too serious I hope.
Just a sore paw, and aching fang? Gunna see it out prowling again soon?

Cary
11th January 2009, 19:39
Just a sore paw, and aching fang? Gunna see it out prowling again soon?

Yep sure will. Gotta work the weekend of this ride is all. I heard mention of Kawhia........:woohoo:

marks
12th January 2009, 07:24
Hi Guys

Have updated ride description and details on first post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88582)

appreciate some feedback.

cheers

Mark

Paladin
12th January 2009, 08:31
Looks like it's shaping up nicely Mark! :yes:

PLUG
12th January 2009, 10:09
appreciate some feedback

burrrrp ... a following day garlic feed back that one ... in for the interesting stuff Mark ... looking forward to it ... accomm @ Carterton Holiday Park booked & MNZ discount ref for the interislander gained, ferry booking tonite ...

Howie
12th January 2009, 17:22
Sunday 15th Feb
Possible side trip up to Mt Dick via Dalefield Rd
Then up SH2 to Masterton (boring). Onto Te Ore Ore Bideford Rd to Bideford and onto Wairiri Rd then Daggs Rd and right onto SH52. Left into Pori Rd and then right into Pahiatua Pongaroa Rd and into Coonor Rd and regroup at Coonor
Easy option: TBA
Interesting Option: Makiro Rd to Makiro track and then out via Kohinui to Pahiatua meeting Easy option people for for lunch.

Northen riders: sod off home after lunch.
Southern riders: - possible loop over North Range Rd then down Pahiatua Track to SH57. South to Shannon (maybe coffee) and back towards Wellington.

who's interested?

cheers

Mark

Here’s a Couple of choices for easy options, on Sunday morning.

Option 1
1.Change regroup to Makuri.

2. Pahiatua - Pongaroa rd to Ngaturi.

3. Right onto Miller rd , right onto Waituna rd.

4. Left onto Pahaheke rd.

5. Right onto Piert river rd.

6. Left onto Hopelands rd.

7. Left onto SH2

8. Through Woodville, Right onto Hope rd, (start of saddle rd) right onto Woodlands road.

9. Onto Whariti rd, right to Whariti peak.rough gravel road, easy 4WD track, a bit steep in places. ( 920m high) great views.

10. return to state highway 3, and turn right.

11. Left onto Balance valley road, left onto balance gorge road.

12 left onto Mokoko (Pahiatua track) return to Pahiatua.

Option 2

1. from Coonoor, right onto Towai rd.

2. Left onto Oporae rd.

3. Right onto Waihi falls rd, visit falls.

4. Return to Towai rd, left to waimiro.

5. Right onto waihi valley road.

6. Left onto Manuhara rd.

7. Right onto little Manuhara rd. (4WD track) not sure on condition can anyone advise?

8. Left onto Waihi valley road.

9. Right onto Pongaroa rd to Makuri.

10. Out to Pahiatua on Pahiatua – Pongoroa road.

I like option 1 as the views are great.

and sorry Marks but my road names are off my map book, as google maps takes for ever to load on my pc (still on dial up)

Plenty of choices in that area.

junkmanjoe
12th January 2009, 21:58
i think i better tag along for day 1 havent been round the coast for a long time, see if my mate like to come as well.

Eddieb
12th January 2009, 21:59
We went through little Manahura as part of our Makario track ride a few months ago. It was a firm grass track, slighty bumpy but not rough, was a fun 5 minute interlude on our travels.

bart
13th January 2009, 07:04
Little Manuhara is easy if dry. If wet it's easier going up hill, so may be better starting from the Waihi Valley end.

Option 1 number 9 - do you mean Whariti. I agree, awesome views if you get a fine day.

PLUG
13th January 2009, 10:41
anyone headdin over from the mainland ... have a discount booking ref that makes a significant differance to the cost of the interislander ... pm me for the details

clint640
13th January 2009, 12:39
Looks bloody good, but after many digs at the Southern NI crew to get off their arses & organise a ride... I'm not going to be able to make this one :crybaby:

We're planning to head to the South Is the week after so the 14/15th will have to be spent doing other stuff. Have fun & I expect a full report.

Clint

Paladin
13th January 2009, 15:13
Just got off the phone with owner at Orongorongo Station south of Wainuiomata at Turakirae Head.

We are CONFIRMED & BOOKED for access across the Station on the coast 4wd track for the morning of Saturday 14th Feb !!!!!!!!!!

Confirmed cost is $15 per head.

It's gonna be a wicked start to the weekend!

:woohoo: :banana: :2thumbsup:

Also the owner said if there are any attending on BIG bikes that feel they want to reccie the 4wd coast track to check out the gnarly rocky slide area, they are happy to accomodate a second reccie ride between now and the event. I'd just need to phone them and book that, same cost.

Howie
13th January 2009, 15:33
Little Manuhara is easy if dry. If wet it's easier going up hill, so may be better starting from the Waihi Valley end.

Option 1 number 9 - do you mean Whariti. I agree, awesome views if you get a fine day.

Thanks for that Bart, I always mis spell that one.

pete376403
13th January 2009, 16:35
You can get onto google maps and have a look at the rock slide in the satellite pics view - it's bloody BIG
http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/mpl?ie=UTF8&moduleurl=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.co.nz%2Fintl%2Fen _nz%2Fhelp%2Fmaps%2Fholidays%2Fmapplet.html&mapclient=google&ll=-41.411546,174.958777&spn=0.006501,0.012016&t=h&z=16

marks
13th January 2009, 17:43
1.Change regroup to Makuri.
2. Pahiatua - Pongaroa rd to Ngaturi.
3. Right onto Miller rd , right onto Waituna rd.
4. Left onto Pahaheke rd.
5. Right onto Piert river rd.
6. Left onto Hopelands rd.
7. Left onto SH2
8. Through Woodville, Right onto Hope rd, (start of saddle rd) right onto Woodlands road.
9. Onto Whariti rd, right to Whariti peak.rough gravel road, easy 4WD track, a bit steep in places. ( 920m high) great views.
10. return to state highway 3, and turn right.
11. Left onto Balance valley road, left onto balance gorge road.
12 left onto Mokoko (Pahiatua track) return to Pahiatua.

If we all hang a left at the end of Pori Rd we could all follow that route with the 'interesting option' people branching off at the west entrance to the makiro track. That way we'd be doing the makiro the 'right way' and not terrorizing all these bmw riders with thoughts of having to push their bikes up hill in the rutty bits of the east side.

thanks Paul for the suggestions

Looks bloody good, but after many digs at the Southern NI crew to get off their arses & organise a ride... I'm not going to be able to make this one :crybaby:

We're planning to head to the South Is the week after so the 14/15th will have to be spent doing other stuff. Have fun & I expect a full report.

thats a bummer - will miss you and Rosie

We are CONFIRMED & BOOKED for access across the Station on the coast 4wd track for the morning of Saturday 14th Feb !!!!!!!!!!

Confirmed cost is $15 per head.
Thanks Dave for all your effort :Punk:

Just a reminder re accommodation - we'll pretty well fill up the Carterton Holiday Park so get your bums into gear and book a cabin before someone else gets in first.

Those who have booked cabins may want to 'sell off' their extra beds?

Aslan
13th January 2009, 20:57
MarkS and Paladin - thanks for all the work you've both done in organising this.

Folks travelling from afar - I can offer several of you a bed on the Friday and or Sunday nights if that would be helpful.

PM me if interested - cheers Aslan :niceone:

Howie
13th January 2009, 22:27
If we all hang a left at the end of Pori Rd we could all follow that route with the 'interesting option' people branching off at the west entrance to the makiro track. That way we'd be doing the makiro the 'right way' and not terrorizing all these bmw riders with thoughts of having to push their bikes up hill in the rutty bits of the east side.

that sounds good Mark, might even up the travel times a bit as well, which was one of my concerns with that option.

Waihou Thumper
14th January 2009, 06:37
MarkS and Paladin - thanks for all the work you've both done in organising this.

Folks travelling from afar - I can offer several of you a bed on the Friday and or Sunday nights if that would be helpful.

Great offer and thank you. Might bring a tent if the weather is good.....
Anyway, I am still trying for the weekend off workwise, but am hanging out for an adventure so will do my best to be there.
Looks like a great route!
I will keep this in mind, cheers!

Aslan
14th January 2009, 08:07
NZKTM - there's tent space here and we live close to the Saturday start - hope you're able to get the time off - look fwd to catching up :niceone:

marks
15th January 2009, 17:35
I think the calender link thingy may have been adding everyone who viewed it to the list of attendess.

This is the list of people listed as attending - it seems rather a lot...

* Aslan
* Balrog
* bart
* Bert Lombard
* CrazyFrog
* Crisis management
* Eddieb
* Fred101
* gazzerklr
* GSers
* Howie
* jezzaNZ
* Kaituna
* K slider
* marks
* merv
* MOTOXNUT
* NZKTM
* Paladin
* PLUG
* reofix
* tri boy
* XF650

can you guys check here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2009-2-14&c=0) and remove yourselves if you aint coming

sorry about the forkup

also - modified first post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88582)to fix calender forkup and add Pauls (Howie) suggested changes for Sunday easy option.

bart
15th January 2009, 19:17
I'm in (at this stage).

Might take up your offer too thanks Aslan. If no beds are available, a couch, or even a piece of carpet will do. I'm not known to be fussy. I'll let you know a bit closer to the time.

Cheers,
Bart

tri boy
15th January 2009, 19:27
Woosing out mate, but will see ya through the summer some where.:sunny:

Howie
15th January 2009, 19:28
Yep I'm in too. Might have a pillion in which case I will probably do the secnic routes instead of the challenging options, so will be able to help out with them if we have any takers for them.

magicfairy
15th January 2009, 19:35
I'm not, I don't love my valentine enough to spend all bloody day pushing his other great love, the grey whale.

Balrog
15th January 2009, 19:49
I'm not, I don't love my valentine enough to spend all bloody day pushing his other great love, the grey whale.

Then I'll just have to see if the puppy wants to come along.
He'll be up for helping pull the GS (for about 30seconds)

:Offtopic:

Paladin
15th January 2009, 20:31

Likewise, I have a good quality sofa bed available if anyone needs a place to kip Friday/Sunday nights.
I could also potentially make 2 bunk beds available too, altho it'll be bring your own bedding/sleeping bags(I have pillows tho) as all I have for those are my daughters Fairy Princess and Winnie the Pooh bedding!!!!!!! The top bunk is a little close to the ceiling for an adult but it'd do for a night or two!

I'm in Eastbourne so we'll have a nice 15min ride "round the Bays" & up over the Wainui hill to the start.

PM me if interested.

NordieBoy
15th January 2009, 20:45
Then I'll just have to see if the puppy wants to come along.
He'll be up for helping pull the GS (for about 30seconds)

:Offtopic:

Holy crap. Just get MF some offroad rollerblades :D

Aslan
15th January 2009, 21:49
I'm in. I have booked my accommodation at Carterton.

Looking forward to the ride

cheers

XF650
16th January 2009, 08:37
I'm totally unfamiliar with the ride route & can't even pronounce a lot of the place names, let alone know where they are. So was wondering if someone would be kind enough to post up a rough overlay map, to show the wife it's not just a trip to visit the Tui girls.

Howie
16th January 2009, 21:51
I'm totally unfamiliar with the ride route & can't even pronounce a lot of the place names, let alone know where they are. So was wondering if someone would be kind enough to post up a rough overlay map, to show the wife it's not just a trip to visit the Tui girls.

Hi if you open the attached image in a new window it should hopefully give you an overview of the first days ride. the blue lines are the "scenic route" the other colours are for the challenging route, and when traveling together.

The other way to find your way is to put the names mentioned in the first post into google maps, and it should bring the areas up for you to look at, unfortunatly I'm on dial up at home, so google wouldn't let me make my own map.

cheers

Paul

McJim
16th January 2009, 22:10
I saw the words "Southern Coast" and got all excited. As you were gentlemen....

Howie
16th January 2009, 23:36
Maps for the second day here, please note only a rough guide, as not sure on exact route in a couple of places. Oh and XF650 we do get fairly close to the home of the TUI GIRLS!!! so I marked their home on the second map for your wife, hope you don't have a GPS. :bleh:

cheers Paul.

XF650
16th January 2009, 23:57
Thanks for your efforts there Howie.
Whats the best disguise to get into the brewery?

Paladin
17th January 2009, 08:09
Maps for the second day here, please note only a rough guide, as not sure on exact route in a couple of places. Oh and XF650 we do get fairly close to the home of the TUI GIRLS!!! so I marked their home on the second map for your wife, hope you don't have a GPS. :bleh:

cheers Paul.

Thx for takin the time to do the maps Paul!

Crisis management
17th January 2009, 14:55
I'm confused, I can't see the Bombays marked on either of those maps, is it far away then?

marks
17th January 2009, 15:09
Brilliant Paul - thanks heaps

Now I know where we are going.....

I was going to try and do something with google maps but couldn't figure out how.

good idea excluding the Bombay's - keep all those northern ponce's in the dark.

Waihou Thumper
17th January 2009, 16:59
Yes, me and the big fella on the 990 - Brett and myself. Me on the wee fella, the 640 ADV will be there with all the bells and whistles!
I plan on tenting it but Brett might need to stay indoors as he is scared of the canvas stuff (must have an allergy or something)

It better be challenging as I need to scrape the left side of the KTM to even things up, it is looking a bit weird at present, good on one side and the other....well, a few battle scars from the last outing with you guys...

We plan on coming down Friday, leave early and take a bit of a scenic route down. if there are any guys from the Bombays north that want to hook up then that would be great.

Keep on watching this space I guess....

ducatijim
17th January 2009, 19:18
Yes, me and the big fella on the 990 - Brett and myself. Me on the wee fella, the 640 ADV will be there with all the bells and whistles!
I plan on tenting it but Brett might need to stay indoors as he is scared of the canvas stuff (must have an allergy or something)

It better be challenging as I need to scrape the left side of the KTM to even things up, it is looking a bit weird at present, good on one side and the other....well, a few battle scars from the last outing with you guys...

We plan on coming down Friday, leave early and take a bit of a scenic route down. if there are any guys from the Bombays north that want to hook up then that would be great.

Keep on watching this space I guess....

Waaay off topic, but.......why arent u at the desert storm this weekend then? I'm makn silage......wots ur excuse?

Waihou Thumper
17th January 2009, 20:03
Waaay off topic, but.......why arent u at the desert storm this weekend then? I'm makn silage......wots ur excuse?

:Oi:Yeah, I was meant to go, got ready but work got in the way, spent 9 hours cleaning and maintaining the KTM...

I think my trail days are over, looking forward to the adventure rides and the travel side of things. Since my van was stolen I have had missed it and need to make a different slant on things with the organisation etc...

Waihou Thumper
17th January 2009, 20:05

He he, waay off topic...yeah

Crisis management
18th January 2009, 08:41
We plan on coming down Friday, leave early and take a bit of a scenic route down. if there are any guys from the Bombays north that want to hook up then that would be great.....

I might be in for this, I still need to decide how many days I can afford to take but scenic sounds good, do you have a route in mind?

Waihou Thumper
18th January 2009, 08:59
I might be in for this, I still need to decide how many days I can afford to take but scenic sounds good, do you have a route in mind?

Might head over the ranges, down through Palmy, then back way through to Carterton, afternoon tea somewhere round Martinborough, then over the Rimutakas into Wellywood......

Something like that, I do know of some good roads round the back of Wairarapa etc...
I can work out something closer to the day. Even round the back of Dannevirke would be good.....
Know that area too....

Waihou Thumper
18th January 2009, 09:00

That would be cool, three KTM's.....

Aslan
20th January 2009, 06:23
we're happy to host a BBQ at our home on the Friday evening if that would be good.

Thinking something along the lines of Werewolf's in Nelson in Jan ahead of the Dusty Butt - people bring meat and drink - we provide salads and garlic bread with some help from locals - gold coin donation - if there's interest I'll get MarkS to help me post it in the calendar so as people can register so we have an idea of numbers.

Again - happy for folk coming from other places to stay Friday night (South Islanders - Sun too?) we've beds for 3 and tent and floor space - PM me if interested. I realise Paladin has generously offerd accom also.

Cheers Aslan :scooter:

Eddieb
20th January 2009, 11:30
Does anyone need to fill a bed in a cabin at Carterton Holiday Park or shall I book another one?

Also can do a mattress on the floor for Friday and/or Sunday night in Lower Hutt. Straight forward to get to for the out of towners, lock up garage and also not too far from the start point.

Eddie

Aslan
20th January 2009, 11:37
Hi Eddie (and Pete) - my booking is on the basis that I share a cabin with Pete. CheerS

Paladin
20th January 2009, 11:51
Does anyone need to fill a bed in a cabin at Carterton Holiday Park or shall I book another one?

Eddie

Hi Eddie (and Pete) - my booking is on the basis that I share a cabin with Pete. CheerS

Stephen,
When I did my booking the owner was under the impression that Pete & yourself were open to others sharing in your cabin so think he may have booked me in with you guys as I told him I knew you both. Not sure from your reply to Eddie if you are trying to say you & Pete wanted a cabin just to yourselves or not???
If that's the case no problem, then Eddie I am more than happy to share with you mate! Whatever you guys want to do is cool by me!

Great idea on the BBQ! Thx for offering to host that - let me know if there's anything you'd like me to do to help get organised for that.

PLUG
20th January 2009, 14:53

yep ... when I booked the basic cabin (with linen, so I don't have to carry a sleeping bag) I said to Di that if any other biker boys were hunting for a bed she could bang them in with me ... bring ya ear plugs as I do a good rendition of a chainsaw with out a muffler :yes: ... first to sleep wins :apint: :lol:

have a booking with Belrog & the Majicfairy for the Friday nite ... thanks Aslan

Aslan
20th January 2009, 15:15
Paladin & Plug

Hi guys - when the lady at Caterton told me she had taken a booking from 'Peter' and he was keen to share, I said 'sweet as'

So Paladin aka Dave should you wish to share accom with Plug (assume aka Pete) - again that's fine by me.

As Plug says he snores - as you may both know I'm deaf in one ear so will use an ear plug as necessary.

Looking forward to this ride - thanks Paladin for the offer of help with the BBQ.

I'm hoping MarkS will be along soon and help me add it to the calendar entry for this event so that folk can signal their intent for catering purposes

Cheers Aslan :niceone:

Eddieb
20th January 2009, 16:08
I'm in, with Linen.

junkmanjoe
20th January 2009, 17:31
Hi chaps.

if you run short of a place to lay your head, on sat night,
i can take 3 maybe 4, if two of you like to share a double pull out couch bed.....:argue: no touching now...
might even feed you, roast possum, or rabbit stew, and big screen tv for sports, beer fridge full of heineken.
just ask bart,
off street parking, bikes will be safe.
pm me for details if interested.
im in masterton 7 mins north carterton.
cheers, :drinknsin

Paladin
20th January 2009, 17:47
Paladin & Plug

Hi guys - when the lady at Caterton told me she had taken a booking from 'Peter' and he was keen to share, I said 'sweet as'

So Paladin aka Dave should you wish to share accom with Plug (assume aka Pete) - again that's fine by me.

As Plug says he snores - as you may both know I'm deaf in one ear so will use an ear plug as necessary.

Looking forward to this ride - thanks Paladin for the offer of help with the BBQ.

I'm hoping MarkS will be along soon and help me add it to the calendar entry for this event so that folk can signal their intent for catering purposes

Cheers Aslan :niceone:

Aah I see now, different Pete than I presumed! That's what I get for presuming. :bash:
Yeah all good by me, don't mind who I share with, besides I snore too, so as Plug says, the race to first asleep will be on. :sweatdrop
I do have backup pharmaceuticals though! :innocent:

cooneyr
20th January 2009, 18:29
... ... bring ya ear plugs as I do a good rendition of a chainsaw with out a muffler :yes: ....

I can vouch for that LOL. It ain't a little modern fire wood chainsaw either but a big old 1960 beast with no muffler and a 6 foot bar that takes two guys to tame it! Good luck Aslan and Paladin!!!

Cheers R

Paladin
20th January 2009, 18:56
I can vouch for that LOL. It ain't a little modern fire wood chainsaw either but a big old 1960 beast with no muffler and a 6 foot bar that takes two guys to tame it! Good luck Aslan and Paladin!!!

Cheers R

Sounds like sleeping pills might be required then!!! :blink:

Or..... we could wait for him to doze off and then carry him ourside! :yes:

marks
20th January 2009, 20:22
Sounds like sleeping pills might be required then!!! :blink:

which is why - as a completely selfish bastard - I have my own room with sheets shower and shitter :wari:

young1
20th January 2009, 20:55
Sorry guys won't be on this ride - I have a very good excuse, I am helping a very nice young lady move in with me!! :rockon:

marks
20th January 2009, 21:15
Sorry guys won't be on this ride - I have a very good excuse, I am helping a very nice young lady move in with me!! :rockon:

you need to establish some priorities here.

give her the keys to the house and the Subaru and tell her to move herself in and that you expect a hot meal and some 'other stuff' when you get back on Sunday night.

I should be a relationship counselor :yes:

young1
20th January 2009, 21:25
you need to establish some priorities here.

give her the keys to the house and the Subaru and tell her to move herself in and that you expect a hot meal and some 'other stuff' when you get back on Sunday night.

I should be a relationship counselor :yes:

I thought I should be there for the first weekend at least...

By the way you did meet her briefly when you stayed here!

Aslan
20th January 2009, 21:42

go well Mike - this the lady you spoke about on the Tunnels tour? Is she a Katoom fan or a Beemer fan? cheers S ;)

marks
21st January 2009, 05:58
By the way you did meet her briefly when you stayed here!

I presumed that - either that or you have been very very busy :banana:

Hope the move all goes smoothly

marks
21st January 2009, 06:21
Have updated first post with BBQ details as follows:

***STOP PRESS*** Aslan and his wife have kindly offered to Host a BBQ starting 6pm on Friday (13th) night in Lower Hutt. Bring meat/drink and gold coin. Salads/breads and great company provided. PM Aslan if attending and he will PM back directions/contact info. Be there or be square.

Thanks Stephen (and better half)

cheers

Mark

kanny
21st January 2009, 21:00
:mad: yeah well i would have gone.But FAITHFULL BUMMBLE has gone ,Be with yous in spirit.Have a gd 1 :2thumbsup

Crisis management
2nd February 2009, 18:04
I have to pull out of this as well, apologies to all maybe another time!

tri boy
2nd February 2009, 18:20
:mad: yeah well i would have gone.But FAITHFULL BUMMBLE has gone ,

Saw it yesterday getting canned by 4 teenagers doing doughnuts, and practicing wheelies. Looked very second hand.
Twas only a poxy Suzi anyway.:dodge:

GSers
2nd February 2009, 21:34
Might head over the ranges, down through Palmy, then back way through to Carterton, afternoon tea somewhere round Martinborough, then over the Rimutakas into Wellywood......

Something like that, I do know of some good roads round the back of Wairarapa etc...
I can work out something closer to the day. Even round the back of Dannevirke would be good.....
Know that area too....

NZKTM how is it going? What time do you think you will be getting to Ashhurst / Palmerston North. We could catch up and head down some of the gravel roads over to Masterton I know if you are intersted.
Regards GSers

Waihou Thumper
3rd February 2009, 08:40
NZKTM how is it going? What time do you think you will be getting to Ashhurst / Palmerston North. We could catch up and head down some of the gravel roads over to Masterton I know if you are intersted.
Regards GSers

Hi there.
I will know for sure when the bike is out of the garage. As this is a short week and everything I have to get a few things done to the machine.
It has ticked over 28000km now and I need a new chain, sprocket, bleed brakes, valve clearances etc.
I think I will be picking it up on the Friday morning, will then leave straight away, but will be there for the Barbie....
I will keep you posted and we can hook up somewhere for sure.

Aslan
4th February 2009, 21:18
people - those planning on doing this event - if you're planning on coming to the BBQ on Fri night please PM me so we can plan numbers for catering - bring meat to share and a gold coin donation toward salads and bread. Read first post by MarkS for detail

Confirmed so far are MarkS, GSers and NZKTM

Also - still have a spare bed for 1 or 2 (share twin) for anyone wanting a billet on the Friday night. Anyone coming from the South Island and needing to overnight Sunday let us know also. I beleive Paladin had generously offered to billet folk as well.

Still have clean the Air Filter on my DR after the Dusty Butt in prep for weekend after this and should be good to go

Looking forward to this ride - cheers Aslan :2thumbsup

merv
4th February 2009, 21:21
Sorry guys I'm tied up with Aussie visitors all next week and weekend of your ride. Have fun.

Aslan
5th February 2009, 05:30
bugger - was looking fwd to a catch up Merv - go well :rolleyes:

MXNUT
5th February 2009, 07:32
people - those planning on doing this event - if you're planning on coming to the BBQ on Fri night please PM me so we can plan numbers for catering - bring meat to share and a gold coin donation toward salads and bread. Read first post by MarkS for detail

Cant make the bar b on friday night sorry guys, as my plan is a quick dash down to wellywood after work on the
friday arvo :crazy: and not expecting to get there untill 10.00pm.

Am staying in Porirua on the friday and sunday nights so will catch you all up on the sat morning. :2thumbsup

cheers Mark

marks
5th February 2009, 07:48
Cant make the bar b on friday night sorry guys, as my plan is a quick dash down to wellywood after work on the
friday arvo :crazy: and not expecting to get there untill 10.00pm.

Hope you are coming down in the van - a 5 hour dash on a DRZ seat would my bum in tatters...

Am staying in Porirua on the friday and sunday nights so will catch you all up on the sat morning. :2thumbsup

cheers Mark

If you don't know how to get to Waiuiomata from Porirua I could meet up with you early Sat morning and show you the way

MXNUT
5th February 2009, 07:56
Hope you are coming down in the van - a 5 hour dash on a DRZ seat would my bum in tatters...

If you don't know how to get to Waiuiomata from Porirua I could meet up with you early Sat morning and show you the way

Yes i am bringing the van, and no not sure were Wainuiomata is so would be glad to have you show me the way. :niceone:
Actually staying in Papakowhai .

Any idea of the maximum distances between fuel stops on the ride, fuel range on DRZ is only 170 km so if distances are greater than that i will have to carry spare fuel with me. :blank:

MIXONE
5th February 2009, 08:29
Yes i am bringing the van, and no not sure were Wainuiomata is so would be glad to have you show me the way. :niceone:

Any idea of the maximum distances between fuel stops on the ride, fuel range on DRZ is only 170 km so if distances are greater than that i will have to carry spare fuel with me. :blank:

If you don't bring some snapper you might be sleeping in the van.Are you bringing "Big Bill"?

marks
5th February 2009, 09:14

170km should be fine

I think the biggest distance is Wainuiomata to Martinborough which I'm thinking is 120km ish - some one care to correct me please???

will pm you nearer the time

anyone else want a hand finding Wainuiomata?

cheers

Mark

Waihou Thumper
5th February 2009, 16:08

Also - still have a spare bed for 1 or 2 (share twin) for anyone wanting a billet on the Friday night. Anyone coming from the South Island and needing to overnight Sunday let us know also. I beleive Paladin had generously offered to billet folk as well.

Still have clean the Air Filter on my DR after the Dusty Butt in prep for weekend after this and should be good to go

Looking forward to this ride - cheers Aslan :2thumbsup

:Oi:I wouldn't mind a bed if this is still available please...?
Thanks matey..
I will be bringing a tent, but I might use a cabin if there happens to be one spare...
Mark

Aslan
5th February 2009, 21:46
Friday night beds confirmed for NZKTM and GSers :msn-wink:

Eddieb
6th February 2009, 21:05
Is there really 22 people coming on this? thats a good turn out if there is, and the more GS pushers the merrier ;)

marks
7th February 2009, 07:12
Is there really 22 people coming on this? thats a good turn out if there is, and the more GS pushers the merrier ;)

I think there are at least half a dozen or so who unintentionally enrolled because I had cocked up the link so that you were automatically added to the list when you viewed the calendar page.

Please Remember everyone that if you are going to do the challenging bits they will be much easier if you have decent knobbyish tires - especially if we get any wet stuff during the week.

junkmanjoe
7th February 2009, 07:58
hi all the ruakokoputuna road, tricky stage day one.
the track is around 80% gravel / rotton rock / losse rock.
a few deep ruts, and 1 fairly steep section on track going in, creek crossings are fine a few larger rocks to navagate,
if i rember there is 4 crossings, one with steep loose entry, and one wit a steepish exit, there not to bad.
track is over grown, trees and toytoy bushes. overall, track is around 1m wide all way down hill. opens up at the bottom.:2thumbsup

sweet cant wait, :banana: now im off to buy my new tires.

K slider
8th February 2009, 08:49
only available for the saturday ride if bike is back together.

Waihou Thumper
9th February 2009, 16:19
Friday night beds confirmed for NZKTM and GSers :msn-wink:

Hi guys.
My mechani has suffered a bit of bad luck last week, two breavements...:(
Anyway, the Katie is still in the garage and will not be ready for this weekend, as I am awaiting parts.
That only leaves me with the Husaberg nd I am afraid it is too bloody far with the bike.
Damn!! :oi-grr:

So I am having to bail out as the bike really did need a fix and work doing to it ready for my trip to the deep south in March..
I really wanted to come as well, bugger!!
Thanks for the offer Aslan and cheers till the next time...
I couldn't really ride the Husaberg, it wouldn't be fair, I would be zipping in and out of you guys and drinking too much coffee waitinf for the super tankers to arrive...:banana:

Have a great ride and I will be watching from afar...

Aslan
9th February 2009, 20:08
NZKTM aka Mark - sorry to hear of your mechanic's bereavements and your bike not being ready in time - thanks for letting us know.

So - BBQ attendees at this stage (let me know if I've missed you) - MarkS, GSers, Paladin, Bart? - Anyone I've missed please PM me if you're coming so my wife can get the necessary provisions on Thursday

Bart PM me if you want a bed Friday night

looking fwd to Sat - just finished reassembling the air cleaner post the Dusty Butt this evening.

Cheers Aslan :scooter:

jezzaNZ
9th February 2009, 21:05
Hi Steven, yep I'll be keen for a nice piece of Scotch Fillet on Friday so book me in. Also anyone needing a bed Friday is welcome to stay with me in PPram.

Eddieb
9th February 2009, 21:31
Count me in too Aslan.

bart
9th February 2009, 21:44
Thanks for the offer Aslan. Still working on plans. Very unorganised this week (fairly normal for me).

junkmanjoe
10th February 2009, 17:59
would you be kind enough to send me a chop and a sausy in the post. i like onions on my bread as well plz.. :2thumbsup bottoms up.....

Aslan
10th February 2009, 21:20
Joe - given we plan to see you Sat AM I don't think you're BBQ order would reach you ahead of the ride - guess we'll have to bring you any burnt leftovers :banana:

MXNUT
11th February 2009, 10:26
Met service showing good weather for Saturday and Sunday with some good rain leading up to the weekend to keep the dust down :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Cant wait --------- only three more sleeps :calm: :calm:

Paladin
11th February 2009, 11:41
Met service showing good weather for Saturday and Sunday with some good rain leading up to the weekend to keep the dust down :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Cant wait --------- only three more sleeps :calm: :calm:

+1 on the dust - hurrah!

And its gonna make the offroad tracks wet! Should be a fun two days - well 2 days of scaring the crap outta myself probably - LOL!

SO lookin forward to it! :wacko:

Paladin
11th February 2009, 13:10
Just to let you all know - I was asked by the owners of Orongorongo Station to remind them today that we are coming on Saturday. I have just done that and we are all sorted for the ride!!!!!!

They also said they had a motorcycle and 4wd group go thru this past weekend and they got thru the track on the DOC land east of Orongorongo, that was eroding away badly with a big drop off, with no problems; no big seas are expected so we should be fine thru that section to Ocean Beach - phew!!!

Also confirmed we should be able to still exit the east end of Orongorongo Station via the downed fence so no need for a gate key that would need to be returned, ie the fence has not been repaired yet, which will make things nice and easy - just ride on thru - phew again!!!

:2thumbsup

Aslan
11th February 2009, 13:18
well done Paladin - like Motox X Nut I can't wait to get started - cheers Aslan :sunny:

bart
11th February 2009, 20:03
Sorry Aslan, but can't make the BBQ friday. While you guys are eating and boozing, I'll be wrestling with my new back tyre (and boozing). Been a busy week, so my bike is no where near prepared. All going well, I'll see you all at the start line Saturday morning. :niceone:

junkmanjoe
11th February 2009, 20:34
Joe - given we plan to see you Sat AM I don't think you're BBQ order would reach you ahead of the ride - guess we'll have to bring you any burnt leftovers :banana:

yup sat for sure,you :woohoo: can just scrape all the left overs up, and make a burger patty, yummy , barts meeting me at my house, and where takeing over the road on our yellow machines, are we going rain hail or shine, dosnt bother me.
bike needs a wash anyhow....... im not sure if my new tires will be frendly on the tricky track on day two. i might need some pushers, i guess time willl tell.

looking forwar to the adventure, not sure if my new bike is

Aslan
11th February 2009, 21:23
Sorry Aslan, but can't make the BBQ friday. While you guys are eating and boozing, I'll be wrestling with my new back tyre (and boozing). Been a busy week, so my bike is no where near prepared. All going well, I'll see you all at the start line Saturday morning. :niceone:

cheers Bart - good luck with fitting the new tyre - safe travel Sat AM to you and JunkmanJoe :soon:

Aslan
11th February 2009, 21:27
are we going rain hail or shine, dosnt bother me.
bike needs a wash anyhow....... im not sure if my new tires will be frendly on the tricky track on day two. i might need some pushers, i guess time willl tell.

looking forwar to the adventure, not sure if my new bike is

Joe - I reckon we'll be going unless there's a hurricane

As for your new tyres and the terrain I expect you'll be fine! I'm looking at my half worn rear D606 and fretting over whether I've enough tread left

As the Nike folk say 'Just do it eh!'
cheers :sweatdrop

Aslan
11th February 2009, 21:36
looking forward to seeing those who plan on coming - 6pm start - BYO meat and drink - we're providing salads, bread and desert.

Those I believe intend coming are:

MarkS
GSers
Paladin
EddieB
JezzaNZ
XF650

with Plug (and I assume Balrog and Magic Fairy) a maybe - weather dependent

Still got two spare beds if anyone needs a bed Fri night

Wifey's shopping for provisions for Friday tomorrow so if I've missed someone or misunderstood your intentions please PM me.

Cheers Aslan - only 3 more sleeps til Sat AM and the 'off' - Yeh - still like a kid before Christmas! :2thumbsup

junkmanjoe
11th February 2009, 21:50
i hav just fitted a set of brand new E-07, and heavy duty tubes, thanks to chainsaw and mower service palmerston north, top chaps up there and very good price,new tires have not even been down the road yet.

Aslan
11th February 2009, 21:52
i hear good things about the E07's may try one on the rear when the current D606 is had it - ciao / good night :zzzz:

marks
12th February 2009, 06:37
i hear good things about the E07's may try one on the rear when the current D606 is had it - ciao / good night :zzzz:

you'll be very glad that you've got a 606 on the back when were half way round Orongorongo :yes:

Aslan
12th February 2009, 08:03
you'll be very that you've got a 606 on the back when were half way round Orongorongo :yes:

cheers Mark - I've been very pleased with the performance of both the D606 rear and MT21 front - great cost effective combo for me - CU tomorrow :scooter:

Paladin
12th February 2009, 08:52
you'll be very glad that you've got a 606 on the back when were half way round Orongorongo :yes:

Too right!!! :shit:

MXNUT
12th February 2009, 10:31
As for your new tyres and the terrain I expect you'll be fine! I'm looking at my half worn rear D606 and fretting over whether I've enough tread left

i hav just fitted a set of brand new E-07, and heavy duty tubes.

cheers Mark - I've been very pleased with the performance of both the D606 rear and MT21 front .

I have still got my Crappy road biased summer rear tyre on ( IRC TRAIL WINNER GP110 ) so it will make the off road sections a bit more of an adventure. :sweatdrop

Might be down the tail end of the field with the bigger bikes :scooter:

MIXONE
12th February 2009, 10:42
I have still got my Crappy road biased summer rear tyre on ( IRC TRAIL WINNER GP110 ) so it will make the off road sections a bit more of an adventure. :sweatdrop

Just remember "IT'S NOT A RACE"

MXNUT
12th February 2009, 10:54

What a stupid thing to say :bash::bash: When you get 2 or more KB`s together OF COURSE ITS A RACE :bye::bye:

MIXONE
12th February 2009, 11:02
What a stupid thing to say :bash::bash: When you get 2 or more KB`s together OF COURSE ITS A RACE :bye::bye:

Or just one mxnut?:innocent:

Aslan
12th February 2009, 11:36
most discussed topic methinks among us ADV riders

Here's hoping for a fun filled couple of days for all - I certainly won't be attempting to win any race - just conscious what a wimp I am not bringing the leven fiddy - cheers :clap:

Eddieb
12th February 2009, 12:04
most discussed topic methinks among us ADV riders

Here's hoping for a fun filled couple of days for all - I certainly won't be attempting to win any race - just conscious what a wimp I am not bringing the leven fiddy - cheers :clap:

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about this mythical 1150, I've never seen you riding anything except the DR.

marks
12th February 2009, 12:09

Buuuullsh*t

I've tried to keep you in sight before
even if you have racing slicks on I expect to be ducking your roost :eek:

Aslan
12th February 2009, 12:52
Yeah I'm starting to wonder about this mythical 1150, I've never seen you riding anything except the DR.

yeah right - regret parting with my R100GS from a more 'dirtable' perspective - lower first grear, 21" front, lighter weight etc cest la vie :scooter:

Aslan
12th February 2009, 12:59

PS Eddie - plan to use the Rubber Ducky (1150) on the March Ride in the Ruahines including Takapari Road - cheers S

Eddieb
12th February 2009, 13:21
PS Eddie - plan to use the Rubber Ducky (1150) on the March Ride in the Ruahines including Takapari Road - cheers S

Cool, I'll be on the PD making you jealous. :Pokey:

marks
12th February 2009, 13:46
Cool, I'll be on the PD making you jealous. :Pokey:

PD?????:shit:

Did I miss something???

Eddieb
12th February 2009, 13:59
PD?????:shit:

Did I miss something???

No you didn't. You correctly spotted that I had gone all brown in another thread.

It doesn't look like a standard PD cause someone threw the Touratech catalogue at it and quite a few bits stuck.

Aslan
12th February 2009, 14:06
a ha - so twas your (new to you) machine in that thread about Sutherland's Hut last weekend

Look fwd to seeing her tomorrow? cheers S :wari:

marks
12th February 2009, 16:48
No you didn't. You correctly spotted that I had gone all brown in another thread.

I just thought you had had a really baaad fright :shit:

young1
12th February 2009, 16:50
You guys all have an awesome and safe ride. Hope, all going well, to catch up with you on the Ruahine ride.

Mike

Howie
12th February 2009, 17:00
Well it looks like it is going to be a day ride on the Saturday only for me as some other priorities to do with family have popped up.

on the subject of tyres, I had a GP110 on the KLR last time around the coast, and it was fine apart from spinning up a bit in the loose stuff. I am just getting a shinko E700 to the rear of the KLR which might be interesting.

Is anyone who is coming still interested in taking the secnic as opposed to challenging routes?

Cheers

Paul

Aslan
12th February 2009, 17:16
You guys all have an awesome and safe ride. Hope, all going well, to catch up with you on the Ruahine ride.

Mike

cheers Mike - hope to catch up with you on the Ruahine ride all being well

junkmanjoe
12th February 2009, 17:39
Well it looks like it is going to be a day ride on the Saturday only for me as some other priorities to do with family have popped up.

on the subject of tyres, I had a GP110 on the KLR last time around the coast, and it was fine apart from spinning up a bit in the loose stuff. I am just getting a shinko E700 to the rear of the KLR which might be interesting.

Is anyone who is coming still interested in taking the secnic as opposed to challenging routes?

Cheers

Paul

will we might be evenly matched with our tread, ill follow you and go the other way when you get stuck......

junkmanjoe
12th February 2009, 18:02
if it keeps raining over here it will make things very interesting, lots and lots and lots of wet stuff had to ride home in the rain to day, with open face helmet, needles in the face, nice...........................

Paladin
12th February 2009, 18:55

Mike

Thanks Mike, guess I'll meet you at a later date, not sure I'll be doin the Ruahine ride on the KLX!

Paladin
12th February 2009, 19:02
if it keeps raining over here it will make things very interesting, lots and lots and lots of wet stuff had to ride home in the rain to day, with open face helmet, needles in the face, nice...........................

Am suddenly wishing I had new tyres on mine - it's gone monsoon here! :sweatdrop

Aslan
12th February 2009, 19:08
Am suddenly wishing I had new tyres on mine - it's gone monsoon here! :sweatdrop

chill Dave - we'll be fine - I'm running a half worn D606 on the rear of the DR - Cu tomorrow evening Cheers Stephen :calm:

NordieBoy
12th February 2009, 19:59

You need to wear a decent helmet :angry:

Open face with a visor does the trick.

junkmanjoe
12th February 2009, 21:31
its my work helmet, and wasnt raining when i went to work.
i thought i might ass off on the slipery road with my new tires.:eek5:. on the way home.

pete376403
12th February 2009, 21:41
After the last effort, the full knobbies that I got for the CCA ride will be going back on. Might be a bit interesting coming back over the 'tukas, but.

Eddieb
12th February 2009, 22:29
chill Dave - we'll be fine - I'm running a half worn D606 on the rear of the DR - Cu tomorrow evening Cheers Stephen :calm:

You better pm some of us your address so we know where the food is.

Aslan
13th February 2009, 05:16
You better pm some of us your address so we know where the food is.

Sent EddieB a PM with address :bash: - assume the rest of you that intend being at BBQ have already notified me of your intentions to be here tonight by PM

have a great day and here's to hoping the stream levels around the Coast drop sufficiently in the next 24 hours

cheers Aslan

MXNUT
13th February 2009, 07:07
............ and here's to hoping the stream levels around the Coast drop sufficiently in the next 24 hours
cheers Aslan

Higher stream / river levels just make for better photo opportunities :Oops: :crazy:

Serviced my bike last night and all loaded up ready for 3.30pm getaway.

See you all tomorrow morning. :woohoo: PS.. someone save me a cold banger from tonights bbq ( and i dont mean a KLR :bash: )

CrazyFrog
13th February 2009, 08:19
I'm out fellas, other commitments holding me here in Nelson now, bugger it all.
I want to see plenty of photos after the event to make me envious of what I missed. Have a good couple of days boys........:bye:

Paladin
13th February 2009, 09:35
......... here's to hoping the stream levels around the Coast drop sufficiently in the next 24 hours

cheers Aslan

I reckon the first half of day 1 thru Orongorongo and Ocean Beach is looking like its gonna be real fun - after all this rain we could meet some interesting stream/river/gully crossings with all the water running out from the coastal hills! If that gully in the middle of the huge rock slide on Orongorongo is running wet it should be real interesting!

Bring on the ADVENTURE!!!!!!!! :soon:

junkmanjoe
13th February 2009, 15:05
hi all since 8pm last night we have had non stop rain, quite heavy at times today, has stoped raining now 4pm, with light drizzel on and off, rivers are up a little not to bad, :chase: its time to get muddy and stuck and wet and have a good time. yerr haa, super moto through the creeks :eek:

XF650
13th February 2009, 15:19

If this ride is a race then I'm already last. I struggle to keep things together when it's dry, let alone with all this rain up here.
Looking forward to the shindig tonight & trying to follow you guys over the next two days. Haven't booked a ferry home yet......

junkmanjoe
13th February 2009, 16:12
oh well better stay ill fix ya up a job for monday.
things wont be to bad, a little slipy in places,
at least it wond be so dam hot like last weekends ride.

it will be cool, keep ya skills up.

marks
14th February 2009, 12:41
f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck

at least 18 people turned up
weather looks good
klr blew exhaust seal head to pipe and started sounding horrible - couldn't fix it so came home to get DT - should hoopefully meet the others for dinner

Bart's oil all dumped itself out his countershaft seal - ended up pushing last couple of km back to Wainuiomata

so 2 down before we even got off the seal

such is life :cry:

K slider
14th February 2009, 19:06
Mate wait till you see the photos, we were auditioning for Fulton Hogan.
fantastic morning { afternoon} ride great bunch of guys, everyone helped out.
Cheers Mark.

Pete.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MIXONE
14th February 2009, 19:33
Did mxnut win the race?

Howie
14th February 2009, 19:56
Mate wait till you see the photos we were auditioning for Fulton Hogan.
fantastic morning { afternoon} ride great bunch of guys, everyone helped out.
Cheers Mark.

Pete.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yep Pete it was a great day out with a great bunch of guys, I've got a few photos to put up.

Mark we started off with twenty bikes I think, and eighteen of us made it around the coast.

we didn't get to Martinbrough untill mid afternoon, so after a feed and coffee, myself and a few others headed back to Wellington as we were only doing a day trip, while most of the others headed off towards sutherlands hut.

onto the pics

pic one is at the homestead at Orongorongo station, while waiting to see if Marks was going to get that far.

the next four are on the track around the coast near the start.

Howie
14th February 2009, 20:11
A few pictures of the shingle slide. This had changed quite dramaticly from a few weeks ago, and involved a bit of pushing, and track forming as the edges had been washed away more. I haven't got any good pictures of the first bit of crossing the slide as I left my camera with my bike while pushing/guiding others.

Tony W
14th February 2009, 20:21

at least 18 people turned up
weather looks good
klr blew exhaust seal head to pipe and started sounding horrible - couldn't fix it so came home to get DT - should hoopefully meet the others for dinner

Bart's oil all dumped itself out his countershaft seal - ended up pushing last couple of km back to Wainuiomata

so 2 down before we even got off the seal

That's a bugger dudes !

What's up with the seal business Bart ? Anything we should be checking to prevent it happening to ours ?

Howie
14th February 2009, 20:22
And just when you think you are over the knarly bits you come across a place where the track has totaly washed away with a 4-5 vertical drop off to climb, so a couple of different methods were used to cross it one by going across a narrow section a bit above the track in scrub, and the other this method of breaking the edge away and fulling the hole.

Howie
14th February 2009, 20:39
It was a good day out, a few things I haven't mentioned is another KLR needing some roadside assistance on the way, and mine has finally got some war wounds on it in the shape of a dent to the tank after over two years of traveling the back routes in the both islands.
Whats more I came home to an extra bike in my garage as my son came across the Marks and Bart, and offered storage of a bike that needs a bit of repair work.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:44
Great pics guys
What a fantastic day, one of the best Adventure rides I've had to date.
All credit to you guys who continued onto Sutherlands hut.

1st set of pics, the meeting point

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:46
Bart has an oil leak and Marks exhaust pops a seal.
The rest of the crew meet at the start of the track to pay the farmer his dues

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:48
Payment complete, we start heading off down the track.
All pretty easy so far, nice track, great views

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:51
The track continues on, and then we strike our first challenge
(pic 263 where'd the road go? )

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:54
We all spread out, trying to find a way across the rubble.
It was hard enough trying to walk across it, and for a while it was doubtfull
we'd get accross.
Then one brave soul attacked the problem and the route was decided.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:56
one by one we started across, with a line of catchers and pushers along
the route to help.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 08:59

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:02
The stream of riders continues, and a Eddie was lucky enough to fall off
when I had the camera ready.
Meanwhile, Plug waits for the next victim

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:05
Eddie continues his way across, with the catch crew ready and waiting

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:08

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:10
Few scenic shots

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:13
The survivors start assembing on the other side of the slip,
meanwhile, the steady stream of riders keeps attacking the problem.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:17

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:19

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:22
Gerard takes the big BMW across

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:25

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:27
The last rider makes it across, and all the catchers start to walk back across

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:30
Everybody regroups for a breather

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:33
We were all so busy with the slip, we never bothered to look at what was
coming after.
The track still didn't exist and challenge number two kicked in.

( I pulled up behind Pete in the 1st pic and just said, Oh Crap )

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:37
The adventure riding continues, beginning to understand why professional riders are fit.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:39
More riders make it thru

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:42

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:44
Pete showing us how its done

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:47
All of make it thru, one of the riders clipped a rock that flicked his chain off.
Lots of willing helpers to the rescue.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:50
We all park up while the chain gets fixed. By now we'd found the road again
and we were all quite pleased about that.

I mean, what could go wrong now?

merv
15th February 2009, 09:51
Fantastic photos Jim and that track wasn't like that last time I went around there a few years ago. Just goes to show if the farmer had kept the track open he might still have a road around there. How does he get around, in a helicopter or something?

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:56
Oh very funny. who stole the road.

This was a very deep ditch, it ran all the way up the hill and down to the sea.
Going around the bottom couldnt be done as it was to rocky and we couldn't
find a way back up onto the track.

We split into two teams.
Team one starting breaking the bank down and building a ramp.
Team two collected drift wood and started filling in the hole to try and
wheel the bikes accross.

By now we were all in full adventure mode. No obstacle would stop us.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 09:58
We started moving some of the bikes up around the top, while construction work continued.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:01
Our new road is starting to look quite good now.
1st we had no road and within 30mins we had two options to cross.
Up the ramp or aound the back.

Thats teamwork for you

pete376403
15th February 2009, 10:02
Many thanks to all who helped get my chain back on. It was well and truly wedged between the sprocket and the swing arm, and pounding with a rock wasn't going to fix it. After some attempts to remove the sprocket (stock tools kits are crap) someone made the most excellent suggestion of pulling the swingarm bolt, someone else had the appropriate spanner and the team of helpers had the chain back on shortly after.

All up the day was a great road building, fence deconstruction adventure.

And the waitress at Toppys is ohhh yeahhh! (The other ain't too shabby either)

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:03
..... the building continues

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:05
By now, team ramp have created a masterpiece.
It soon becomes clear that a quick blast up the new ramp, is going to be
eaiser than man handling the bikes around the top.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:07
The bikes start coming accross.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:10
Whoo Hooo, we're all accross

Now its off to deal the the sand trap.

Pete had a beauty of an off here, I was a bit slow on the camera and missed
the action shot.
He decided on the fast approach option and the sand decided to flick his front
wheel left and right and biff him over the bars

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:13
But he gets right back in the saddle and nails it.
The rest of the team filter thru.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:19
The last few riders make it thru the sand.

I had to get a photo of Pete after his spectacular off, from the sand on his face, he got up close and personal with the scenary.

Then we got to the locked gate at the end. We had the key, but the lock was rusty and it took a while to get it open.

Balrog
15th February 2009, 10:24
And then we were out.

Great ride guys, had a blast. All credit to those who went on to do the
Sutherlands.

I hope I got most people in action. I have the full sized pics so if anybody wants
a copy, pm me your details and the picture numbers you'd like.

( actual pic size is 3456 * 2592 file size around 4.5meg )

Jim

Howie
15th February 2009, 11:00
Excellent pictures and write up Jim. Merv the track was a lot better when we went round a few weeks ago, The rain last week had must have caused a bit of slipage on the shingle slides, and the odd washout of the road.

Cheers

Paul

bart
15th February 2009, 16:35
OK, I win the contest for most lubricated chain. I've never seen the thing looking so clean.

So the adventure began for me by getting up a hell of an early on Saturday, after spending a few hours in my shed Friday night getting the bike prepared. Hit the road about 6.30am. Met up with Junkmanjoe in Masterton at 7.42am (the exact time I'd promised), and we quickly headed south. Had a hell of a good time over the Rimutakas. Got through to Wainuiamata just in time to meet the group. The bike was running sweet.

We headed off at a nice pace, and I was thoroughly enjoying it, when Marks had to stop because of exhaust problems. After having a good laugh at his expense, someone called out to have a look under my bike. SHIT!!!! OIL!!!!

Took the cover off the front sprocket, and the nut was almost fully wound off the shaft. The locking clip for the nut had shorn off the teeth that slot onto the spline thingy, so was spinning freely. I managed to tighten the nut as much as I could (without the correct spanner), and nursed the bike back to Wainui with Mark following. Just reached the outskirts, and Mark waved me down. Pulled over and the bike rapidly dumped the remainder of its oil in the gutter. BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!:weep:

Although the cover was stopping the sprocket from coming off completely, the sideways movement has either buggered the seel, or pulled the shaft out slightly. I was bloody lucky it didn't dump it's oil all over the back tyre on the Rimutakas. :bye:

Pushed the bike about 3 km to the gas station.:sweatdrop Amazing what looks you get when you're pushing your bike down the footpath. The amount of people who laughed and asked if I'd run out of gas. BASTARDS!!!!:angry2:

Mark turned up after trying to fix his bike. We were going through different options, when a young guy came up and asked if we were on that adventure ride thing. Once we explaned, he just happened to mention that his father was on the ride..........Howie. He kindly offered some shed space.

With the directions I was given, I think he must have been expecting me to ride my bike. I had to push the bike about 2 km to his place, going back some of the way I'd already come.:sweatdrop:crybaby:

What a relief to have the bike safe. Thanks Howie. I'll send you a bag of sawdust for the oil slick.:msn-wink:

Right, the bike was safe, now it's time to get myself out of there (thankfully minus a helmet and jacket also). Taxi over the hill to a train station. Found nothing heading north until 7.15pm. It was still early afternoon. Rung the Missus and she kindly offered to come pick me up. She wasn't keen on dragging a trailer over the Rimutakas though. Two and a half hours is a bloody long time to wait. Walked out to the motorway. By now my motorcross boots were killing me. :crybaby:

Got home to Dannevirke at 7.30pm. What a day. Ten minutes of adventure ride, and I didn't even get off the seal. Sounds like I missed the ride of the year also.

Thanks Marks for hanging around and helping out.
Thanks Howie for the shed.
Thanks Junkmanjoe for helping with bike retrieval.

Thanks a lot guys. You're all a bunch of good buggers.

Howie
15th February 2009, 17:04
:

Mark turned up after trying to fix his bike. We were going through different options, when a young guy came up and asked if we were on that adventure ride thing. Once we explaned, he just happened to mention that his father was on the ride..........Howie. He kindly offered some shed space.

With the directions I was given, I think he must have been expecting me to ride my bike. I had to push the bike about 2 km to his place, going back some of the way I'd already come.:sweatdrop:crybaby:

What a relief to have the bike safe. Thanks Howie. I'll send you a bag of sawdust for the oil slick.:msn-wink:

Hey Bart, not much of an oil slick in my shed, think most of it was long gone with the pushing you did. Yep my son was expecting you to ride it around. so I won't mention the footbridge across the creek that you could of used and saved about half the pushing :shutup: :whistle:

Still we all got to do our share of pushing bikes around the coast.

Glad you managed to get home alright.

young1
15th February 2009, 20:04
Awesome photos and write ups. Sounds as though you really had an Adventure!

tri boy
15th February 2009, 20:09
Crikey, are you lot insane or what.:wacko:
I broke into a sweat just looking at the pics.
Top marks to the crazy buggars that did that ride.

NordieBoy
15th February 2009, 20:39
Crikey, are you lot insane or what.:wacko:
I broke into a sweat just looking at the pics.
Top marks to the crazy buggars that did that ride.

To think we gave up up at a mere locked gate with metre long spikes welded to it.

Should have laid the KLR down and used it as a ramp.:Punk:

K slider
15th February 2009, 20:49
[QUOTE=

NordieBoy;1937300] To think we gave up up at a mere locked gate with metre long spikes welded to it.

Should have laid the KLR down and used it as a ramp.:Punk:[

Who gave up at what gate

NordieBoy
15th February 2009, 20:57
Who gave up at what gate

Us slightly more suvverners on our weekend ride.

junkmanjoe
15th February 2009, 21:09
top pics BALROG, just about got the whole day on film.

just goes to show, what lengths man will go to, to get to the other side.

every body helped everyone else, hands on just made the day more of an adventure, thats what we where all there for anyway.

be great to do it again some time soon.

more than happy to help out bart with his bike.
we get you back on the road very soon...... maybe...:scooter:

reofix
15th February 2009, 21:15
I was originally on this ride but work is crazy at the moment.... looks like a hamstring pulling, sweat exhausting ,cardiac incident loaded trip ... so that would be fun??... awesome work team!!

marks
15th February 2009, 21:51
To think we gave up up at a mere locked gate with metre long spikes welded to it.

you dummies

behind that locked gate is one of the most awesome rides you will ever go on.

this (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8434234&postcount=206) is what you missed

Paladin
15th February 2009, 23:39
Just wanted to say a HUGE "THANK YOU" to everyone who came on the SCAR - a top bunch of blokes and an incredible weekend with amazing variety of terrain & types of tracks, incredible scenery and just a full on ADVENTURE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup
And a special thanks to the guys from the South Island that came up and joined us and Marks for the major route planning after Orongorongo and setting up the overnight accomodation.

I really enjoyed meeting so many new adventure riders and was really glad you all loved Orongorongo - challenging, but what a great teambuilding and friendship making adventure it turned out to be - FANTASTIC!

And Makiro Track - man that's tough, might be fun to tackle that again when feeling fresher!

Well done to everyone, commiserations to Bart, we all felt for you mate, and hope to see you all on another wicked adventure real soon!

Last thing to add - a huge thanks must also go out to everyone who spent time taking photos - a terrific record of the weekend - cheers guys!

PLUG
16th February 2009, 10:31
sweet weekend ... feelin a bit :buggerd: though ... thanks Dave & Mark for getting the ball rolling & setting this most majical ride up ... had to bail after Riversdale on Sunday morning to get the 2pm ferry ... looks like I missed some serious action in the arvo ... next time

nice to meet all those who rode this ride & chipped in to help each other make it through the scree field :clap:... best ride I've done for a while

Paladin
16th February 2009, 13:53
sweet weekend ... feelin a bit :buggerd: though ... thanks Dave & Mark for getting the ball rolling & setting this most majical ride up ... had to bail after Riversdale on Sunday morning to get the 2pm ferry ... looks like I missed some serious action in the arvo ... next time

nice to meet all those who rode this ride & chipped in to help each other make it through the scree field :clap:... best ride I've done for a while

Glad you had a good time Pete - will look forward to seeing what the SI has to offer at some point! See you down the road mate!

clint640
16th February 2009, 14:56
Great stuff guys - that looked like a real adventure! :niceone:

Cheers
Clint

Eddieb
16th February 2009, 15:27
What a weekend. The GPS said I did 632.5km's but my body says it was 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Thanks to everyone for helping make that one of the best rides I've ever had.

I've just posted about 130 images into my Windows Live gallery, too many to post here.

Some highlights:

See Dr650's and KTM Adventures getting big air, Struan(sp) taking a rest in a tree down a cliff, mass carnage as 18 bikes conquer Orongorongo, mud flying as bikes get stuck in the tight Makairo track (Check out photo 697 to see how tight it really is).
View the elusive DT230 dinky toy, as used by woosy KLR riders who get scared and need an excuse to go home and get a bike they can handle :Pokey: I've never seen one of them before and all of a sudden they are everywhere.

Eddie's South Coast Adventure ride pics (http://cid-bb884029fa7d6889.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Riding/2009-02-14%20Southern%20Coast%20Adventure%20ride)

The photo's in the gallery are all shrunk to fit, if attendees want a full size copy pm me the photo numbers and an email address and I'll send them through.

jezzaNZ
16th February 2009, 15:54
Geeeees Struan, I hope the "family jewels" are still in working order?:headbang:

jezzaNZ
16th February 2009, 16:07
Stunning photos Eddie, was a pleasure meeting you and the other guys at the weekend, I had a fantastic time and really enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow riders in adverse situations. Just a quick question though in relation to your photography, were you ever called "Steady Eddie" ?......some truly great photos Eddie. Cheers J

Eddieb
16th February 2009, 16:13
Stunning photos Eddie, Just a quick question though in relation to your photography, were you ever called "Steady Eddie" ?......some truly great photos Eddie. Cheers J

:) Some of them were snapped off in a hurry before the camera had time to focus properly, gotta catch the action as it happens. And I was so rattled about by the ride anyway I couldn't tell the difference at the time.

marks
16th February 2009, 19:13
What a weekend. The GPS said I did 632.5km's but my body says it was 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Thanks to everyone for helping make that one of the best rides I've ever had.

I've just posted about 130 images into my Windows Live gallery, too many to post here.

Some highlights:

See Dr650's and KTM Adventures getting big air, Struan(sp) taking a rest in a tree down a cliff, mass carnage as 18 bikes conquer Orongorongo, mud flying as bikes get stuck in the tight Makairo track (Check out photo 697 to see how tight it really is).
View the elusive DT230 dinky toy, as used by woosy KLR riders who get scared and need an excuse to go home and get a bike they can handle :Pokey: I've never seen one of them before and all of a sudden they are everywhere.

Eddie's South Coast Adventure ride pics (http://cid-bb884029fa7d6889.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Riding/2009-02-14%20Southern%20Coast%20Adventure%20ride?uc=1)

The photo's in the gallery are all shrunk to fit, if attendees want a full size copy pm me the photo numbers and an email address and I'll send them through.

some great photos there Eddie

I bet you Struans never got wood like that before

junkmanjoe
16th February 2009, 19:44
to come round the corner and see bike on track and man hung up in top of a tree,,, crazy man.

Aslan
16th February 2009, 19:45
Top ride you two - thanks heaps for organising it.

Great company and a lot of fun - til next time Aslan :second:

GSers
16th February 2009, 20:14
Like wise, Thanks to the organisers for a couple of great days out. Lucky I have a desk job time to get over all the aches and pains. I learn't a few more leasons on how to and how not to ride my bike and thanks to the pushers and picker uppers for there help. Without this one would not be able to go off the black stuff. How boring, this is much more fun makes you fell alive and to the new people I meet and previous ride people see you out there again soon.
Thanks to the Camera Crews for the photos so we can all relive the ride for days to come.
Regards boGSer

marks
16th February 2009, 20:33
posted a few photos here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317350&page=20)

a great ride

we'll do it again next year :yes:

XF650
16th February 2009, 21:27
Geeeees Struan, I hope the "family jewels" are still in working order?:headbang:

Still not home to find out.....

Paladin
17th February 2009, 08:53
Still not home to find out.....

Geez Struan, it's turned into an epic trip for you!

MXNUT
17th February 2009, 12:04
ARRIVED back home in H town last night about 8.00pm. :bye:

Thanks heaps to Dave & Mark for organizing such an excellent ride. :hug:

I finished the ride at 9.00 pm on the sunday night back in papakowhai and like you Dave i rode the last 45 minutes standing up my arse was so sore.:crybaby:
I even took the paikok hill road just to get off the motorway so that i didnt have to ride sitting down.

Maybe doing the Makairo track in both directions was the killer, but the LIGHT BIKE BRIGADE managed the return trip in 1/2 an hour and it was a blast. A coffee in pahiatua afterwards was not an option, but the beer went down very quickly.:yes:

Made some new friends who i hope to catch up with again on future rides

Will post up a few photos tonight

PS........ Stopped in at Te Manawa Museum in Palmy North on the way home to see the
100 YEARS OF MOTORCYCLE RACING exhibition.

If you get the chance to see this before it ends on may 15th i would reccommend it to anyone.
I spent a very enjoyable 2 1/2 hours there yesterday afternoon.:2thumbsup

Paladin
17th February 2009, 15:33
ARRIVED back home in H town last night about 8.00pm. :bye:

Thanks heaps to Dave & Mark for organizing such an excellent ride. :hug:

I finished the ride at 9.00 pm on the sunday night back in papakowhai and like you Dave i rode the last 45 minutes standing up my arse was so sore.:crybaby:
I even took the paikok hill road just to get off the motorway so that i didnt have to ride sitting down.

Maybe doing the Makairo track in both directions was the killer, but the LIGHT BIKE BRIGADE managed the return trip in 1/2 an hour and it was a blast. A coffee in pahiatua afterwards was not an option, but the beer went down very quickly.:yes:

Made some new friends who i hope to catch up with again on future rides

Will post up a few photos tonight

PS........ Stopped in at Te Manawa Museum in Palmy North on the way home to see the
100 YEARS OF MOTORCYCLE RACING exhibition.

If you get the chance to see this before it ends on may 15th i would reccommend it to anyone.
I spent a very enjoyable 2 1/2 hours there yesterday afternoon.:2thumbsup

Cheers Mark! Great to meet you - have to say couldn't believe the DRZ400 seat! Even narrower than the KLX - no wonder you were up on the pegs for 45mins! Big ups to ya for doin all those km's on that plank - prob take you a month to retrieve your undies out of your arse crack! :blink:

Hopefully see you on one of the rides up your way over the next month or so! Am startin to think I may try and drag the KLX up for the RRR or the King Country rides or both! :shifty:

Eddieb
19th February 2009, 22:02
I drove to Hamilton today and ran into our South Island KTM 950 ring-in who joined us on the Saturday on the way.

Turns out he got just south of Hunterville and the oil light came on on the 950 and it started making nasty noises.

After limping it to Palmerston North and dropping it at a shop they discover that the shop in the South Island that serviced it before his trip used some EL Cheapo oil filter and it collasped and detached form the metal backplate, blocking the oil flow.

Long story short after 2 days, a new filter, oil and head gaskets cause the old ones got a bit hot and leaked he is back on the road, with the SI shop footing the $1100 repair bill.

I left him heading towards Waitomo for tonight. I'm not sure which shop in Palmerston North did the repair work but he couldn't say enough good about their service or the quality of their workshop.

merv
20th February 2009, 07:28
Yeah but what other damage (or excessive wear) has the blocked oil flow done? I can't imagine just a head gasket would fix it.

This does not sound like a good story at all.

MXNUT
20th February 2009, 07:50
I drove to Hamilton today and ran into our South Island KTM 950 ring-in who joined us on the Saturday on the way.

Turns out he got just south of Hunterville and the oil light came on on the 950 and it started making nasty noises.

After limping it to Palmerston North and dropping it at a shop they discover that the shop in the South Island that serviced it before his trip used some EL Cheapo oil filter and it collasped and detached form the metal backplate, blocking the oil flow.

The perfect point as to why i would never use a non genuine oil filter to save around $5.00

pete376403
20th February 2009, 17:51
Are the 950s a roller bearing or plain bearing crank? If roller bearing, they can survive for quite a long time on not much oil (eg just about every two stroke made gets by on a very light oil mist) but if its a plain bearing crank, the bearings are probably buggered by the time the oil light comes on.

merv
20th February 2009, 18:16
Crank, cam bearings, cam itself, none of those things like being short of oil. Serious talk is needed with the shop that fitted the "suspect" filter.

Woodman
20th February 2009, 20:54
Wonder what brand filter it was?? Would be good to know cos I know there are a lot of knock offs out there.

jezzaNZ
21st February 2009, 19:33
Just droped into AFC motorcycles in Palmy today before going to see the Motorcycles Unleashed exhibition at Te Manua (spelling). Great display and well worth a look. Anyway back to the story, I spoke with Brendon (head mechanic) and he did the work on Lawrance's 950 and said the filter collapsed thus blocking the oil flow to the engine. I asked what brand it was & he said it was a Hi Flow......of which I have used in my 450 before. Apparently it is quite common as they pump at quite a high pressure and thus collapsed the paper filter.

I promptly purchased an OEM filter before leaving........:whistle:

MXNUT
4th March 2009, 08:00
Better late than never i suppose.

1.The start group
2 & 3. Sutherlands hut
4 & 5. Coffee break at Riversdale
6.The start of the makairo track

MXNUT
4th March 2009, 08:34
1 & 2. The start of the track
3.Jezza
4.Bruce
5.Marks
6.Gerrard

MXNUT
4th March 2009, 08:51
1.Struan & Eddie
2.Dave
3 & 4 Resting at the summit.

marks
4th March 2009, 09:16
feck that white paneled body armor looks gay

junkmanjoe
4th March 2009, 19:02
top pics, looking forward to a return to the track this sunday.....

Paladin
4th March 2009, 19:22
feck that white paneled body armor looks gay

But it might look good in a gay nightclub under UV lights! :niceone: