PDA

View Full Version : In the spirit of nepotism...

sedge
21st December 2008, 17:53
Can anyone recommend a joiner/cabinet maker or summat like ? I need a to get a set of speaker cabinets made up. I'd like to use proper wood instead of MDF so I want the result to look nice (nicer than I can make them anyway)

Preferably in WLG but I'm OK to ship.

Cheers,

Sedge.

T.I.E
21st December 2008, 18:09
they are probably the same thing.

just a note, the denser (thicker - heavier) the boxes are made the better the sound. its a general rule of thumb if you rinto quality) the best speakers boxes i have heard to date were that made of marble.
Mdf has a tighter density than say pine wood would. so if you can maybe a hardwood. also to get the best out of your speakers do find out what Size or volume they require, do they need to be ported etc. (only usually in the case of the large base speakers) subs.
And another though is each speaker should really have there own compartment, dont mix a tweeter with a mid or sub using the same volume space. area space, does that make any sense.

but sorry i dont know of any cabinet makers. but these little thoughts will make ahuge difference to peromance and quality.

sedge
22nd December 2008, 16:34
Sorry, yup, ta, probably should have explained, I've got the plans ready to go :) It's a design based on an Onken for a modified high efficiency single driver Fostex. I've built a few pairs before out of MDF and screws to clamp. This time I'm going to use proper marine ply and want it to have a better quality finish than I can produce in my garage (not hard)

Anyone a reasonable joiner ? Even a hobbyist with a big table saw. One of the requirements is a large chamfer post build on each side that I just can't do well on my home table saw.

One more try or I'll throw it to the locals up here.

Ta,

Sedge.

sedge
22nd December 2008, 16:37
Actually, perhaps I shouldn't have posted this in PD, maybe a mod could move it for me ? Some nice KB member could get some work from this.

Ta,

sedge.