PDA

View Full Version : The unavoidable and unexpected does happen

Hiflyer
21st December 2008, 19:26
(luckily) This didnt happen to myself.

My best mate of 5 years who actually convinced me to get a bike had an accident. I was so gutted.

He says (and witness reports match what he says) he was 200m from his drive way, when the car infront of him pulls over to the side and slows down dramatically, so my friend goes wide to avoid an accident, when out of nowhere the car infront swerves infront of him, sending him slammng ito their drivers side door, off the bike, over the car and onto the grass.

My friend was fine but the bike (suzuki gsf bandit 250) was a complete wite off, bent front forks, and wheel etc.

Cagers seem to believe that nothing wil happen if they just pull out.

He's lucky, but have any of you had similar experiences?

jrandom
21st December 2008, 19:31
Happens all the time.

Your friend's error was in failing to anticipate that the car pulling to the left might precede an attempted U-turn.

It was not unavoidable, and should not have been unexpected.

He just hasn't learned how to ride safely on the road in traffic yet. We all do eventually; the ones who don't generally either die or get scared off of riding motorcycles.

Glad to hear he's in one piece.

98tls
21st December 2008, 19:32
(luckily) This didnt happen to myself.

My best mate of 5 years who actually convinced me to get a bike had an accident. I was so gutted.

He says (and witness reports match what he says) he was 200m from his drive way, when the car infront of him pulls over to the side and slows down dramatically, so my friend goes wide to avoid an accident, when out of nowhere the car infront swerves infront of him, sending him slammng ito their drivers side door, off the bike, over the car and onto the grass.

My friend was fine but the bike (suzuki gsf bandit 250) was a complete wite off, bent front forks, and wheel etc.

Cagers seem to believe that nothing wil happen if they just pull out.

He's lucky, but have any of you had similar experiences? After 37 years riding i can say yes many,worst resulted in 7 days asleep etc etc etc been over the roof of a couple of cars when a young fella.Nothing to add but always expect the unexpected.

Hiflyer
21st December 2008, 19:38
After 37 years riding i can say yes many,worst resulted in 7 days asleep etc etc etc been over the roof of a couple of cars when a young fella.Nothing to add but always expect the unexpected.

A family friend once said you haven't learnt to ride till you've crashed 7 times, would you agree?

jrandom
21st December 2008, 19:42
A family friend once said you haven't learnt to ride till you've crashed 7 times, would you agree?

I've been riding for six years, binned about a dozen times and am still a total n00b.

All of those crashes were avoidable, mind you. I've never had any post-crash emotion other than "d'oh!"

Although a smashed-up hand last year added a bit of "oh, fuckin' OW" to the usual "d'oh".

Not sure if that helps.

FJRider
21st December 2008, 19:43
so my friend goes wide to avoid an accident, when out of nowhere the car infront swerves infront of him,

So your friend moved out of the drivers line of sight, to where the driver did not expect him to be... and you wonder why it happened, and totally blame the cage.

Seen it happen, heard of it happening with more serious results... your friend was lucky...

Hiflyer
21st December 2008, 19:45
haha yea it does, i still haven't binned (touch wood) but when i do i hope it aint too bad!

This guy at work has been riding for years and hasnt crashed more than 4 times he says maybe hes blowin smoke

FJRider
21st December 2008, 19:46

To quote a friend... BULLSHIT...

jrandom
21st December 2008, 19:47
haha yea it does, i still haven't binned (touch wood) but when i do i hope it aint too bad!

There's no rule that says you have to bin on the road.

Try not to. It hurts and it's expensive.

Hiflyer
21st December 2008, 19:49
So your friend moved out of the drivers line of sight, to where the driver did not expect him to be... and you wonder why it happened, and totally blame the cage.

Seen it happen, heard of it happening with more serious results... your friend was lucky...

sorry forgot to mention no looking or indicating, its a quiet road he lives on so i guess he assumed ther wouldnt be anyone else behind him

Im not just talking crap either, seriously.

Not like other people here (not trying to say you are FJ if it sounds like i am)

98tls
21st December 2008, 19:55
A family friend once said you haven't learnt to ride till you've crashed 7 times, would you agree? Bit of an old school attitude i think mate,i am mid 40s and can remember my old man (motorcyle fanatic) telling me when a young fella that "if your not having the odd off then your not going hard enough",many including myself to a degree will call that madness but looking back given the time/place etc it wasnt all bad,hes still out there doing it in fact awhile back just bought a 1250 Bandit and im still here by the grace of god or a bit of luck.These days theres mentors and courses etc for guys starting out,all good.Nothing like that in my day but i was lucky enough to grow up in the sticks with plenty of room and an old man who was bike mad,even luckier that aside from SS bevel drives he also had a TL250 trials bike which is pretty much what i learnt to ride on,first bike i actually got to call mine was an SL125 when i was 9.

kevfromcoro
21st December 2008, 19:59
To quote a friend... BULLSHIT...

yeah well we get that all the time <havent ridin since you have binned 7 times>
must of been a couch potatoe.. watching how dangerous bikes are on TV.
sitting in bar to-day and a young fella comes up and says..
i wouldent ride one of things if you payed me.

Over..........

Hope your mate is OK

KEV

kev

FJRider
21st December 2008, 20:00
sorry forgot to mention no looking or indicating, its a quiet road he lives on so i guess he assumed ther wouldnt be anyone else behind him

Im not just talking crap either, seriously.

Not like other people here (not trying to say you are FJ if it sounds like i am)

If you pull over to the left of the road to do a U turn... look in your mirrors to see whats coming up behind you...WHERE do you look for traffic coming TOWARDS you. Your side or the "other" side... see nothing...

Watch their mirrors... if you can't see their face or they aren't looking (OR YOU ARE NOT CERTAIN THEY ARE) slow down /or stop...and live.

Hiflyer
21st December 2008, 21:01
k well my point is shit happens, and he is lucky, they should have looked though. he now rides like hes invisible, as in he assumes the person ahead hasnt seen him.

vtec
21st December 2008, 21:05
Being a bicycle courier I've become totally paranoid of all other road users including pedestrians, I still go insanely fast and lanesplit through the tightest of holes but I'm constantly visualising possible carnage all around myself. Nobody ever sees a bicycle. It's up to me to make up my own road rules purely to keep me alive. I break all the laws, but stick to my own rules of survival/engagement, it's like a battlefield out there with everyone sniping at me.

Your mate was lacking in experience, it just sucks that sometimes in the gaining of experience you get messed up. I've been lucky enough to learn from countless near misses.

FJRider
21st December 2008, 21:11
k well my point is shit happens, and he is lucky, they should have looked though. he now rides like hes invisible, as in he assumes the person ahead hasnt seen him.

A good way to be...

Jantar
21st December 2008, 21:19

Not completely. I know of some people who have crashed many more times than that and still can't ride. :wacko:
The main thing is to learn from any crashes that you may have, and to realise what the rider could have done differently: What was the primary cause? What were the contributing causes? What could the rider have done to avoid the accident?

It is my belief that more than half of all riders will crash within their first six months of riding. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=87458 However that dosen't mean crashes are inevitable. Most riders do learn from their mistakes and from the mistakes of others, and the average time between crashes increases immensly. However there are 7 main types of accident, and the theory of crashing 7 times before you've learnt to ride assumes that you have personally experienced and learnt from each of them.

What are the 7 main types: Low side at speed; High side at speed; Running off the road; Hitting an obstacle; Being hit by another vehicle; Dropping a bike at very low speed; and being thrown by a tank slapper. Note that only one of these is primarily due to another driver's fault.

Ocean1
21st December 2008, 21:48
there are 7 main types of accident

Fookin' novice.

:chase:

vifferman
22nd December 2008, 08:02
He's lucky, but have any of you had similar experiences?
I had exactly the same thing happen to me. When I came up to the car, it had just pulled out from the curb. So I slowed, and was about to tootle it to let the driver know I was there, when he pulled into the curb again. Naturally, I thought "Oh - he's seen me!" and went to accelerate past. I was just about up to the car when he cracked a u-turn.
I guess it was his normal, brain-dead, "I haven't had a coffee yet but I'll get one on the way to work" routine.

Did about $6800 of damage to my VFR750, and I spent about 5 hours in hospital getting checked out.

vifferman
22nd December 2008, 08:06
Happens all the time.

Your friend's error was in failing to anticipate that the car pulling to the left might precede an attempted U-turn.

He just hasn't learned how to ride safely on the road in traffic yet.
That's all very well, and quite true. But for me it was a case of having commuted for umpty years and therefore having learned to read drivers actions very well, yet drawing the wrong conclusions from them, due to the timing. Plus not listening to that small voice that said, "Blow the horn to let him know you're there".

MSTRS
22nd December 2008, 08:19
The thread title is useful as a reminder to all of us...
There are little in the way of unavoidable situations, but if you don't expect something then avoiding it becomes much harder.
Your mate has learned a valuable lesson, one best learned early on in a rider's career.
That 12 second rule is great advice, but should probably be a shorter amount in an urban environment?

ManDownUnder
22nd December 2008, 08:51
Something I've found is a disproportionate amount of benefit from backing off the gas - just a little.

Pushing it along, knee down, no chicken strips and riding right on the egde is a blast but has a higher rate of accidents (quelle surprise). Backing off 5 kph seems to have a HUGE reduction in accidents... and another 5 kph another huge reduction.

I'm especially talking about backing off in built up areas and corners.

Of course if you have something to prove then gas it - no worries. Expect the higher injury and accident rate, expect to pay through the nose for insurance, tickets coming out your wahzoo and the ocassional fatality. At least you'll have proven something... not sure what - but you will have proven it...

DarkLord
22nd December 2008, 12:29
Happens all the time.

He just hasn't learned how to ride safely on the road in traffic yet. We all do eventually; the ones who don't generally either die or get scared off of riding motorcycles.

Glad to hear he's in one piece.

Agreed. From my experience the way to ride, especially in traffic is to be continually thinking "what if?" Don't EVER think "nah, that car/bus/pedestrian/other biker won't do that, he's not that stupid". Assume that they are that stupid, as unfortunately more than likely your assumption will be proven to be correct. Your friend should get into that manner of thinking - it may well save his life someday.

firefighter
22nd December 2008, 12:44

IMO it was totally and utterly the cagers fault for failing to indicate his intentions, and driving like an asshole ,if he was checking his mirrors etc he would have known a bike was behind him before he pulled over, and if he turned his head and checked properly before turning he would have seen said bike..........

but yes it was avoidable and i'm sure most of us would've seen that coming.