PDA

View Full Version : Ricky and Valentino should compare notes?

White trash
14th February 2005, 15:46
Ricky Carmichael has just won his 5th consecutive AMA Supercross main event of the season. The first Suzuki rider to ever win five in a row, a feat not even the phenominal Jeremy McGrath could acheive.

So what I ask is, can you compare the two riders? RC is obviously the best rider on the Supercross circuit and tends to be pretty handy at the out door events too.

Rossi seems untouchable around a road race circuit but I don't think he dominates MotoGP to quite the same extent Carmichael does Supercross.

What are your thoughts?

jrandom
14th February 2005, 15:57
Is that five out of five since season start for RC, then? I don't follow the [whatever]cross; I figure dirtbikes MUST be more interesting to ride than watch, because they're pretty damn boring to watch...

He's on a new 4-stroke 450 this season, isn't he?

I dunno about Rossi not being that dominant. I do suspect that roadracing is more about the machine than motocrossing, which would mean that any time Rossi is mounted on something with setup or power problems, it's more noticeable than any differences in the mud-grubbers are.

White trash
14th February 2005, 16:01
Is that five out of five since season start for RC, then? I don't follow the [whatever]cross; I figure dirtbikes MUST be more interesting to ride than watch, because they're pretty damn boring to watch...

He's on a new 4-stroke 450 this season, isn't he?

I dunno about Rossi not being that dominant. I do suspect that roadracing is more about the machine than motocrossing, which would mean that any time Rossi is mounted on something with setup or power problems, it's more noticeable than any differences in the mud-grubbers are.

Nah, still riding a Two Fiddy stink pot, which is interesting in itself. 4 strokes have had very little success at Supercross to date.

Supercross boring? Got a pulse?

jrandom
14th February 2005, 16:07
Supercross boring? Got a pulse?

Sounds like I should start following it.

Sigh. I suppose the only TV coverage is on Sky.

White trash
14th February 2005, 16:09
Sounds like I should start following it.

Sigh. I suppose the only TV coverage is on Sky.

Unfortunately that is the case. And it's pretty fucken good to watch although I still prefer GOOD road racing.

Coldkiwi
14th February 2005, 16:35
I rather think Rossi would have exerted a similar level of absolute dominance if he was still on the RC211V Honda last year (but thankfully for our entertainment's sake, he moved to tha Yam).

I can't see Rossi's sun setting any time soon

gav
14th February 2005, 19:28
'cept Carmichael should go and race in the World MX champs, be like Rossi staying and racing in the Italian National champs.....

Jantar
14th February 2005, 19:44

Dirt bike racing used to great to watch, but that was back when cicrcuits were on natural terrain, jumps and whoopdees were natural, not man made, and each track would generally have a good mix of long fast straights, some tight turns, some open sweepers, and jumps etc that just happened where they happened. I also find the modern motoX on man made tracks to be boring to watch. And I'm now too old and unfit to race in them as well.

Storm
14th February 2005, 20:06
Well, RC has had 2 perfect 24 moto wins from 24 starts before and has most of the records either with his name on, or the engraver is on short notice

Two Smoker
14th February 2005, 20:14
'cept Carmichael should go and race in the World MX champs, be like Rossi staying and racing in the Italian National champs.....

I second that... Nicky Hayden won the AMA superbikes.... but you dont see him winning at MotoGP???

White trash
15th February 2005, 06:33

I think it's a little different. The Supercross boys average career last 4 years before they're forced into retirment by injuries. Therefore, it's in their best interests to stay where they're getting paid the most.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Townley or Coppins may have had a spell in the states between seasons and failed to qualify for almost all the main events.

**R1**
15th February 2005, 06:46
I think it's a little different. The Supercross boys average career last 4 years before they're forced into retirment by injuries. Therefore, it's in their best interests to stay where they're getting paid the most.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Townley or Coppins may have had a spell in the states between seasons and failed to qualify for almost all the main events.
Na..... last year coppins went to the states to see how much difference there was, he qualified and finnished 4th in the first race and crashed(got taken) out, but personaly i would stay in the states.........and what is wrong with 2strokes???? 4strokes on the dirt are for girls to learn on aint they??

Fryin Finn
15th February 2005, 07:02

Townley and Coppins did some Pre season supercross in the states 2 years ago and crashed in practise. That was when Ben split his liver and Josh did his back in. You gotta admire those boys for getting back to where they are now.
Notice how most domestic American sport has a world series. They don't have to travel the world to acquire world championships because they have their own - I hate that.

Stevo
20th February 2005, 23:45
4strokes on the dirt are for girls to learn on aint they??

Good one Einstein :apint:

Coyote
21st February 2005, 09:37
Why the hell did Honda let both Carmichael and Rossi go? The 2 best riders in their classes, and they decide they aren't worth the money they're asking?

Motu
21st February 2005, 11:42
I'm not that keen on watching modern MX and SX,like Jantar I prefer the older natural terain tracks - but then we don't get a hell of a lot of MX to watch on the TV eh?

I think you need to have ridden off road,and maybe ridden a modern,or at least 10yr old MXer to appreciate what they are doing - being a metre in the air is scary shit,3 metres is outa sight,seeing them ride through huge ruts at least 300mm deep as if they are not there,nail a 250 2 stroke out of a corner like it was an XR125 (these things have EXPLOSIVE horsepower),they make it look so easy it kinda takes the thrill out of it.

MotoGP is a bit closer to the real world - sure they are going insanly fast...but to the couch potatoe wanna be,it's nothing he can't do on his CB250RS,soon as he's finished this beer he'll show you...

On saturday looking at a friends alloy frame CR250,he says ''take it for a blat if you want'' - yeah right.....it's 10 yrs since I rode a 250 MXer,I don't think they go any slower.

**R1**
21st February 2005, 11:46
Good one Einstein :apint:
Cheers.....::):

Stevo
22nd February 2005, 22:19
Cheers.....::):

Well....................... Come on....... seriously. Torque is a great thing and 4strokers have it.
Besides they are bigger! Isn't THAT what it's all about?

**R1**
23rd February 2005, 21:26
Well....................... Come on....... seriously. Torque is a great thing and 4strokers have it.
Besides they are bigger! Isn't THAT what it's all about?
Big and heavy...J/k its a personal thing i think.....i have tried a bunch of 4strokes from wr250's to KTM450's i even bought a xr600 a few years back, but i learnt to ride on 2strokes, and being back on one is so much more fun......I just like their power delivery its.......exciting as opposed to predictable, if ya could still buy late model 2stroke 500 road bikes i would have one over the R1 anyday...

as for torque, the KDX250 has a bit more than the average 2stroke, but ya right the 4strokes hav em liked, that was why i made the comment about them being girl's bikes, they are so dam easy to ride ie: screw up a corner and ya in the wrong gear on the 4stroke it duznt matter. it will still chug its way around.

Coldkiwi
24th February 2005, 11:35
MotoGP is a bit closer to the real world - sure they are going insanly fast...but to the couch potatoe wanna be,it's nothing he can't do on his CB250RS,soon as he's finished this beer he'll show you...

in a very funny way, I can vauguely see what you're getting at... if 200BHP (or is it more) 150kd odd (or is it less?!) bikes doing 320kph can be described as even in sight of normality.