PDA

View Full Version : RGV150 Engine Woes

pyrocam
14th February 2005, 17:58
Evening all.
I bought a RGV150 about 2 months ago and Ive been riding albeit a little roughly (first bike)

Ive come across a serious problem. On Friday riding home (maybe 10km) the engine would die if I let it get below 2k RPM, hardly any power and a serious engine 'tink' I got home and played around with it but the main thing is I put the last of the Motul Oil in (Ok Im a new rider) and then it was good as new.

Same thing happened on Sunday and I ended up filling the tank with Castrol 2t oil. and it was mostly fine. a little less powerful perhaps. I took it over to the shore and back and it was going fine.
I took it to work today. no problems, then at Lunch I went to go get me some food and I had the same problem again. but there defiantly was a near full tank of oil. it would die and oh I forgot to mention, A bucket load of white smoke. Anyway, I thought the AA road service might be able to help. (silly me) they just told me to take it into a shop. I've booked it into Coleman's Suzuki (and I rode it home and it was fine again) but that's 2 weeks away and I'm without my ride. Any help out there?
Id really like to know more about what I did so im a bit smarter next time.

Cheers in advance.

edit. There is something else I did which is properly coincidence but Id like to know what it is anyway. On the right hand side of the bike on top of the black circular part underneath the air cooling fins. there's a small cap I can unscrew and it looks like oil goes in. I uncapped it and put it back on tighter.

XTC
14th February 2005, 18:39
Small cap on the "clutch cover" is for your gearbox oil. Not sure what is going on with your engine but you could try a new spark plug just in case.....?

pyrocam
14th February 2005, 18:49
Small cap on the "clutch cover" is for your gearbox oil. Not sure what is going on with your engine but you could try a new spark plug just in case.....?

the black round part is my clutch cover?
okies thanks!

Its a bit hard to get into the spark plug. It looks like its in-between the top of the engine and the fuel tank. and in-between the fans.

Its really annoying me that its intermittant though. Ive had 20mins riding with no problems but only for that 10 mins at lunch and 20mins when the AA guy came round. we did rev it hard for a few mins and then 5 minutes later after he left it was fine. Ive got a theory that it might be some sort of clog in the oil pipes but I dont know engines.

someone mentioned the 'rings' or the 'bore' might be damaged. what does this mean?

also Ive only just learned that its not so good to change down 5 gears at once. I spose this makes sense but how bad is it? at the moment Im cruising at maybe 60, slow down 20m before the intersection then in the last 5m Ill change back down to first (from 5th or 6th). maybe leaving it in second or third if I think the lights are about to change.

cheers

speedpro
14th February 2005, 20:48
also Ive only just learned that its not so good to change down 5 gears at once. I spose this makes sense but how bad is it? at the moment Im cruising at maybe 60, slow down 20m before the intersection then in the last 5m Ill change back down to first (from 5th or 6th). maybe leaving it in second or third if I think the lights are about to change.

cheers

Do yourself a favour and book some lessons when the bike is going properly. You need to learn a good technique.

It could be a bore/piston problem due to danage when you possibly ran out of oil the first time. guessing!

FzerozeroT
15th February 2005, 06:50
how many revs do you give it when riding? I'm thinking fouled plug combined with a high float level or crap in the carb.

Unless you did run it RIGHT out of oil and then it's stuffed. but i think the fact that it was running better was to do with the fact that it was allowed to cool down?

You really need to get that plug out and post a picture, don't be shy, ask a neighbour

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 07:48
revs, hmm. between 5 and 8 usually.

cooling down... I would have guessed heating up would have helped more. from what Ive heard from the guys at colemans.

. I had to use a bus to get into work today. ye gods! it was horrible,

you want a picture,. Ie me ON the bike?

XTC
15th February 2005, 07:57
I want a picture of you on the bus..... :wari:

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 08:53
I want a picture of you on the bus..... :wari:
Ill get a picture with me in my full gear. helmet and all.

does anyone know who Simon Crafer Is?

White trash
15th February 2005, 08:56
Sounds like you've blown a seal. Oh, that's just frost on your beard?

Seriously, sounds like it's run a crank seal, hence the smoke. Also, stop runing it out of oil.

vifferman
15th February 2005, 09:01
does anyone know who Simon Crafer Is?
Yes, lots of people do (and not just his family and friends).

Was this a rhetorical question, or did you want to know who he is? :spudwhat:

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 09:15
Sounds like you've blown a seal. Oh, that's just frost on your beard?

Seriously, sounds like it's run a crank seal, hence the smoke. Also, stop runing it out of oil.

yeah the oil thing is the big issue. I now know I should proberly keep it topped up all the time. cheers!

*edit. Click OHhhh ROFL :2thumbsup

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 09:16
Yes, lots of people do (and not just his family and friends).

Was this a rhetorical question, or did you want to know who he is? :spudwhat:

I was just leaping off topic for a second.
Ive got his helmet. its quite nice an obvious pick when you see me riding down the road. Its got a big star on the back with his name on it. :)

vifferman
15th February 2005, 09:25
I was just leaping off topic for a second.
Ive got his helmet. its quite nice an obvious pick when you see me riding down the road. Its got a big star on the back with his name on it. :)
Simon Crafar is/was a Kiwi bike racer, who did pretty well in the '90s, rode for a time in World Superbikes on a Kawasaki, rode one of the Britten bikes, etc. etc.

The helmet you've got is a "Simon Crafar Replica".

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 09:34
:confused: *shame*

why do you say its a replica? didnt think those were those produced?

*edit. google says they were.
aww

*edit again.
its not a helmet that is branded Simon Crafar.
Its a racing helmet that has his name dodgily glued onto the back over a star. I didnt pay anything for it but I was told it _was_ one of his helmets.

pyrocam
15th February 2005, 14:02
Rofl, I checked it. its not a simon crafar replica its the original, it has the scrutineering stickers to prove it.

Ok im finished with being off topic now.
thanks for your help on my engine guys. :2thumbsup