PDA

View Full Version : Indicators continuously lit?

MsKABC
22nd December 2008, 21:57
Is it common for some makes of bike to have indicators that are continuously lit (when headlight is on) and then when indicating a turn the appropriate indicator flashes? (Whilst other indicator remains continuously lit.)

Urgent reply would be appreciated as this is a bike we're looking to buy.

Cheers :)

Hitcher
22nd December 2008, 22:02
Some Suzuki models do this - both of Mrs H's Marauders were thusly afflicted. So too was my Kawasaki ZRX1200R. I think it's a US/Canadian market thing.

MsKABC
22nd December 2008, 22:07
Some Suzuki models do this - both of Mrs H's Marauders were thusly afflicted. So too was my Kawasaki ZRX1200R. I think it's a US/Canadian market thing.

Cheers Hitcher, it's a Honda Bros, we didn't expect this on a jap bike. Can you change it, or do you just live with it? It has a current WOF so from that perspective it's not an issue. Safety concern perhaps?

Hitcher
22nd December 2008, 22:15
It can be changed, if that is your desire.

MsKABC
22nd December 2008, 22:19
It can be changed, if that is your desire.

:msn-wink: I shall speak to my husband about such desires then.

Minds out of the gutters thank you boys, I was talking about his especially excellent mechanical/engineering skills being put to use on the aforementioned modification :yes:

shingo
22nd December 2008, 22:46
Many of the naked Hondas have constantly lite front indicators. They run a twin filament bulb with a 21w(main indicator) and 5w(secondary light) filament.

I wouldn't consider it a safety issue, if anything it's just another way to help people see you.

Ixion
23rd December 2008, 10:48
It is a safety feature, they are considered running lights. Unfortunately, they are illegal under NZ law (which is stupid). The most common arrangement is simply that the indicator has a twin filament bulb instead of the usual single filament. To disable the running light, just cut the wire!

Badjelly
23rd December 2008, 10:58
It is a safety feature, they are considered running lights. Unfortunately, they are illegal under NZ law (which is stupid).

I'm not so sure it's stupid. It seems to me that using the indicator light for any purpose other than indicating runs the risk of reducing its indicativeness.

I do know that in the USA they use the rear brake lights as indicators. (When the brake lights are off, they flash on to indicate; when the brake lights are on, they flash off.) That is stupid. The NZ law is probably intended to prevent such abominations.

MsKABC
23rd December 2008, 11:09
It is a safety feature, they are considered running lights. Unfortunately, they are illegal under NZ law (which is stupid). The most common arrangement is simply that the indicator has a twin filament bulb instead of the usual single filament. To disable the running light, just cut the wire!

So if it's illegal, presumably it has been missed in all WOFs since it was imported in '02? Odd...

MsKABC
23rd December 2008, 11:09
I'm not so sure it's stupid. It seems to me that using the indicator light for any purpose other than indicating runs the risk of reducing its indicativeness.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I questioned it as a safety issue. Wonder how true this actually is...?

Chisanga
23rd December 2008, 11:13
My 2006 Honda VTR 250 had these "running lights" seem to make the bike more visible at a distance.... although not for one clueless twat who pulled out in front of me one time :)

Murray
23rd December 2008, 11:14
Is it common for some makes of bike to have indicators that are continuously lit (when headlight is on) and then when indicating a turn the appropriate indicator flashes? (Whilst other indicator remains continuously lit.)

Urgent reply would be appreciated as this is a bike we're looking to buy.

Cheers :)

It is a safety feature, they are considered running lights. Unfortunately, they are illegal under NZ law (which is stupid).

I have an old CB750 which the front indicators both light up when the lights are on and flash when you use them. I actually like it as it increases other peoples visability of the bike. I can't see how they are illegal as mine has had no trouble passing wof's at any stage and no cop's ever mentioned them???

MsKABC
23rd December 2008, 11:18
I have an old CB750 which the front indicators both light up when the lights are on and flash when you use them. I actually like it as it increases other peoples visability of the bike. I can't see how they are illegal as mine has had no trouble passing wof's at any stage and no cop's ever mentioned them???

Sounds like it might be a common Honda-ism then? :yeah:

BevanPT
23rd December 2008, 12:09
Must be a Honda thing. I have the same thing on my CB400. It can't be illegal as I've passed every warrant over the past few years. It definitely helps when the headlight blows and you have no front light.

vagrant
23rd December 2008, 21:13
See section 4-4 of the WOF regs for motorcycle lighting,
WOF rules for Motorcycle lighting (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/motorcycles-04-v3a4.pdf)

They are legal, but para 10 says that they must not operate when the headlight is on. (I don't think too many WOF shops know or care about it:whocares:)
The Get Out is Note 2, which says that if the manufacturer made them like that, they can stay:woohoo:.

There used to a plugin blackbox that made your indicators do this. They were called "daylights" or something like that. (I know Motomail sold them in the old days)

There have been loads of studies and arguments about DRL's. One of the bigger points against compulsory DRL's on cars was that motorcycle's with headlights one would be less conspicuous against all the car lights.

Good luck and enjoy the Bros, They are good fun to ride.

Ixion
23rd December 2008, 21:21
Problem is that indicators make good DRLs but they don't have the 'E' numbers on the lenses which mean they don't comply with the design rules. So technically they are not legal (unless, as noted, they came that way form the manufacturer - and who's going to argue?)

MsKABC
23rd December 2008, 21:33

Cheers, it arrived tonight in the pouring rain and is now tucked up safe in the garage. I'm very pleased with it so far :love:

The Stranger
23rd December 2008, 22:49
I'm not so sure it's stupid. It seems to me that using the indicator light for any purpose other than

Hmm, how about making it possible for another driver/rider to distinguish a single headlight vehicle in a line of vehicles at night.

Shadows
23rd December 2008, 23:25
Noddy Lights. Farking things.

Had two bikes with them, one was a Honda and the other started with H too.

Whoever it was that said they are illegal doesn't know what he's talking about - they are perfectly legal - but that doesn't mean you should keep them. They're Noddy Lights! Just nip the wire that runs them (without cutting the indicator one as well :P)

Shadows
23rd December 2008, 23:35
See section 4-4 of the WOF regs for motorcycle lighting,
WOF rules for Motorcycle lighting (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/motorcycles-04-v3a4.pdf)

They are legal, but para 10 says that they must not operate when the headlight is on. (I don't think too many WOF shops know or care about it:whocares:)
The Get Out is Note 2, which says that if the manufacturer made them like that, they can stay:woohoo:.

There used to a plugin blackbox that made your indicators do this. They were called "daylights" or something like that. (I know Motomail sold them in the old days)

There have been loads of studies and arguments about DRL's. One of the bigger points against compulsory DRL's on cars was that motorcycle's with headlights one would be less conspicuous against all the car lights.

Problem is that indicators make good DRLs but they don't have the 'E' numbers on the lenses which mean they don't comply with the design rules. So technically they are not legal (unless, as noted, they came that way form the manufacturer - and who's going to argue?)

They are correctly referred to as forward facing position lamps. Not daytime running lights.

Perfectly legal and no bullshit about them having to turn off when the headlight goes on.

Mom
24th December 2008, 06:11

I am intrigued Ixion. My Radian has its front indicators on all the time, if it is illegal how come I can still get a warrant? Is it exempt because the manufacturer made it that way to fit the North American market they were targetted to?

scumdog
24th December 2008, 06:17
Noddy Lights. Farking things.

Had two bikes with them, one was a Honda and the other started with H too.

Whoever it was that said they are illegal doesn't know what he's talking about - they are perfectly legal - but that doesn't mean you should keep them. They're Noddy Lights! Just nip the wire that runs them (without cutting the indicator one as well :P)

A lot of Nightsters (and others) I have seen have this set-up but with red 'halos' in each indicator light.

I thought it a good idea - main tail-light blows? - ya still have two others. (albeit a tad smaller)

And how often to people check to see if their tail-light is still working? - if the indicator/tail-lights save you once from being rear-ended they've paid off.

WarrenW
24th December 2008, 06:43
Back in about 1990 or there abouts, a copany I worked for designed and released such a beast onto the market and it was called "Visi - Bike" and sold as a safety feature via a number of well known distributors.

It was an aftermarket fitoff, interupting the indicator wiring and installing the box usually in the headlight shell. Typically was a black box with a red sticker on it. Box was about 50mm x 30mm x 25mm from memory.

davereid
24th December 2008, 07:25
Back in about 1990 or there abouts, a copany I worked for designed and released such a beast onto the market and it was called "Visi - Bike" and sold as a safety feature via a number of well known distributors.

It was an aftermarket fitoff, interupting the indicator wiring and installing the box usually in the headlight shell. Typically was a black box with a red sticker on it. Box was about 50mm x 30mm x 25mm from memory.

I modify classic cars wiring in a similar way.

Lots of classic car owners don't want to punch extra holes in the body for indicators, but they want indicators.

So we modify the wiring turning the brake lights and front park lights into indicators.

They still work as intended, but flash as well if the indicator is on.

Its quite a popular modification, and we have never had any issues with WOFs.

HungusMaximist
5th January 2009, 17:08
Not actually sure but I've seen quite a few bikes lately with these safety indicators lit constantly. One bike actually had four, like two from the sides and two from the top, couldn't make out the bike but had a suspicious feeling it was a large Honda or something, or could be something else.

Great idea, it's actually really noticeable. I am not entirely sure if the bikes I've encountered had them as indicators or extra safety auxiliary lights, but whatever it was, I will say it again, fucken great!

vagrant
6th January 2009, 09:56

Thats the thing I was mis remembering!

keithbuckby
23rd March 2009, 10:33
my indicators as running light as well, is it as simple as using the relay off a bike that has them? or is a different system altogether

35tickets
23rd March 2009, 12:16
I fitted the "Visi-bike" system (from Cycletreads, about $50) about a year ago. Indicators run when the headlight is on low-beam, but go off when the headlight flicks to high beam. Thought they would make a good safety feature, and they are good at night as I do a lot of night riding. Its just a box thats wired into the wiring loom. I've mounted it up next to the headlight.

I know some of the BMW used to have them both front and back indicators were glowing on one model I looked at years ago. Only the front ones glow on the ZZR.

Was interested to see they have been quoted as being illegal here. In saying that, I've had no trouble in getting a WOF, and funny enough car drivers have actually noticed me more at Round-abouts. Will follow up, cheers

Im happy enough with them :2thumbsup

Shadows
23rd March 2009, 20:15
Was interested to see they have been quoted as being illegal here. In saying that, I've had no trouble in getting a WOF

That's because forward facing position lamps are not illegal. Call them running lights and they are if they work with the headlamp on. See my post above.

pete376403
23rd March 2009, 20:36
Have a 1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, has this feature - been around for ages and never been refused a WOF. Actually works quite well in that cagers see the bike coming up behind and pull over real quick like they think it's a cop bike

Dolph
23rd March 2009, 20:55
Yes,...I have just pur-chased a 2007 Honda VTR 250 (going very nicely, thank you for asking :Punk:) and I was also intrigued to see the front indicators on full-time with the headlight. As it's fairly new, I figured it was built that way by Honda and not modified. The rear indicators are only on whilst indicating and the front ones flash on and off as you would expect.

I like it ! Especially when you see how many one-eyed cars drive around on the Northland roads. :shit: I am pleased that my headlight looks 'a bit different' at 0630 in the morning !

That is all !

klyong82
24th March 2009, 13:05
I rode a 1995 RVF400 with the front indicators constantly lit. Pretty cool I think...

XRKID
27th March 2009, 13:06
A single filiment bulb is in the holder instead of a doubble, if it stays on and not flash while light is on, all you need to do is cut one wire on all indicators to stop them from being turned on when light goes on