PDA

View Full Version : Tank panniers?

Squiggles
23rd December 2008, 10:25
Have been looking at these for a while and have seen the Wolfman type (http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/TankPanniers.html). Doesnt look like anybody here in nz stocks them.

Looking at alternatives though, like a couple of bags with some straps stiched on, or bicycle panniers... anybody gone this way or got an alternative?

23rd December 2008, 14:21
Depending on what size you are looking for i've found that a pair of "glu-on's" which are normally used on travel backpacks work really well. The Kathmandu ones have fittings for 25mm straps in all of the right places to make a suitable harness.

I havent tried them on the KTM yet but fitted the big tank on the GSPD perfectly.

Squiggles
23rd December 2008, 20:03
Depending on what size you are looking for i've found that a pair of "glu-on's" which are normally used on travel backpacks work really well. The Kathmandu ones have fittings for 25mm straps in all of the right places to make a suitable harness.

Cheers for that, will have to go down as these (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Packs/40248/Gluon%E2%84%A2__Cargo_Pocket_v2.html)look like winners.

Should mention its for a DR650

23rd December 2008, 20:18
I was running the front pocket V2 which worked really well but they all look good to me, what ever fits your tank really.
i'll fit mine on the 640 tomorrow and post a pic how ive got them fitted if you want.

Transalper
23rd December 2008, 21:01
I have the Wolfman bags on my DR650 with IMS tank and when ever I want to slide up the seat for whatever, they get in my way.
Other than that I like having bags there.
I mounted them kind of hanging off the front of the tank a bit but still have knee clashes from time to time.
When I tried hanging them higher to get my knees under the cutoff corner then I couldn't turn as tight because the handlebars hit them.
Photos of my setup over in the Post you pictures thread. Post#30 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1842527&postcount=30)

Squiggles
23rd December 2008, 21:32
i'll fit mine on the 640 tomorrow and post a pic how ive got them fitted if you want.

Would be cool to see em if you get a chance :)

Photos of my setup over in the Post you pictures thread. Post#30 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1842527&postcount=30)

Good to see how they fit on a DR, i guess the million dollar question is... if you could do it again, would you buy the wolfman ones or try something else?

Transalper
24th December 2008, 07:20
I'd try something else, and infact if anyone comes up with a good alternative I probably will.
The top straps are supposed to go one infront and one behind the fuel cap but as you can see I messed around until I finished up putting them both infront of the tank trying to pull the whole lot forward. I guess if I went to the extent of having a frame made to mount them on I could have them nicely out of the way, but that just adds to the expense.
I've been thinking about using a couple of beltbags or tool bags tied together. If the wolfman stuff was maybe slightly longer in height and not so long front to back they would probably work better for me. I mostly keep tools and spares in them.
I do however think they would be fine on bigger adventure bikes like the Transalp or the BMWs.

igor
24th December 2008, 20:17
those pissy little bags are a waste of time. (one eyed persons viewed) saw a guy with these. 15 litre Gearsack ones modified. Moves the weight forward and a good size and wind protection on the legs. No need for rear panniers like those other numties have. has cut gearsacks in half and got bit put in middle to cross tank with hole for fuel cap. has 3 velcro ties ecah side to attach to bike so don't move around. heavy plastic on tank so does no get scuffed. sorry for have ginga in pic

Transalper
24th December 2008, 20:31
Yeah great, but on the DR650 I can't get my knees behind "those pissy little bags" so how the hell do you think we are going to fit something like that.
I only carry the heavy stuff such as tools and a few spares in mine, not my whole camping luggage.:rolleyes: