View Full Version : Which should I buy?

samgab
23rd December 2008, 17:05
4 options I'm weighing up:

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki GSX650F
Kawasaki Ninja 650R (EX650A8F)
Kawasaki ER-6N

Do you own any of the above? Which do you recommend? Why?
Which is best? Most reliable? Most economical? Most fun? Cheapest to maintain/repair/buy parts for? Most comfortable on a long ride? Handles strong side winds best? Looks best IYO? Best build quality?
Looking for as much input and opinion as possible, preferably from those who own or have owned or at least ridden any of the above. Cheers!
BTW, It's a few months before I'll be buying, but I want to get in early and make up my mind, so I end up making the right decision.

Usarka
23rd December 2008, 17:10
Have you experienced riding faired and unfaired bikes? That could be a big factor right there and cut the list by 50%. Or phone the audience.

If not, take a couple out for a test ride or beg/borrow from a mate.

ManDownUnder
23rd December 2008, 17:11
Don't know - but step one... Take a twin and a 4 cylinder bike for a ride - that'll narrow things down for you to start with (that's totally individual)..

Gubb
23rd December 2008, 17:15
The GSX650F is an awesome bike, then again, I didn't end up buying it.

Test ride everything, don't rely on other peoples opinions.

MidnightMike
23rd December 2008, 17:31

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki GSX650F
Kawasaki ER-6N

Ive test ridden the '07 SV650, and the ER-6N.

I also own an '02 SV650S.

Havent ridden the faired ER6N, no doubt the only main difference is the wind protection and looks. Nor have I ridden the GSX650F, which IMO looks like a good bang for buck all rounder, there was one at one of the last trackdays I went to, seemed to get around quite well.

Anyway, between the Er's and SV's Id go for an SV hands down, theres something cheap looking about the er6's (must be the dials) I didnt like the bar postion or the where the tank curves outward so that whenever I went to change gear it catches under your knee, but thats probably because Im 6'5".

The SV's have been around for coming up on 10 years now. They are great bikes. The '07 naked I test rode I loved, the '02 I bought because of the looks, that frame, the curved bodywork etc. (See my profile, Im almost done fixing it up.)

Take them all for a ride when you get your full, that will be the decider.

-Mike.

carver
23rd December 2008, 17:38

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki GSX650F
Kawasaki ER-6N

Which is best? Most reliable? Most economical? Most fun? Cheapest to maintain/repair/buy parts for? Most comfortable on a long ride? Handles strong side winds best? Looks best IYO? Best build quality?
Looking for as much input and opinion as possible, preferably from those who own or have owned or at least ridden any of the above. Cheers!
BTW, It's a few months before I'll be buying, but I want to get in early and make up my mind, so I end up making the right decision.

I have ridden all of the above bar the ninja

the GSX is a good but boring sports tourer.
the SV needs mods to make it work and aint as exciting as the ER

i did 20,000 hard ks on my ER6n, smoked plenty of KBrs on sportsbikes around the loop, did 2 up riding, gravel roads, wheelies, stoppies, flat out speed runs, touring, riding pissed, etc....
i left it out in the rain, never cleaned it, and it took it well, the finish is good, its a true all rounder, looks different, has a nice lumpy engine, i loved mine, and i have had 35~ bikes and still have fond memories of this bike.

samgab
23rd December 2008, 17:43
Thanks for the replies so far. There's a bit to think about there.
Of course, when it gets closer to the time I'll do a bit of test riding, esp as I'm thinking of going new. I want to gauge popular opinion out there as well though.
I think I like the sort of whizzy smoothness of a 4 cyl. rather than the thumpy torque of a 2 cyl. esp. a V-twin, but I'm not 100% convinced of that.
If the 2 cyl. engines are still pretty smooth, then I'd still consider them.
How do they compare economy-wise in the real world?

Oh, and I really value a fuel gauge too, whether it be digital or analogue.
I can't find the power of the gsx650F or the SV??

James Deuce
23rd December 2008, 17:52
The one you like best.

1. Look with your heart. Buy something that makes you go, "Hmm, it's all mine", every time you look at it.
2. Test with your bum. Does it fit, will I be comfortable in two hours time.
3. Buy with your head. How much does it cost to service, how much are tyres, will it crash well?

Ignore the paper stats. You don't ride everywhere at 290km/hr with the bike on its ear.

The Stranger
23rd December 2008, 17:54
They all have too many cylinders.
Go the XT660.

carver
23rd December 2008, 18:03
Thanks for the replies so far. There's a bit to think about there.
Of course, when it gets closer to the time I'll do a bit of test riding, esp as I'm thinking of going new. I want to gauge popular opinion out there as well though.
I think I like the sort of whizzy smoothness of a 4 cyl. rather than the thumpy torque of a 2 cyl. esp. a V-twin, but I'm not 100% convinced of that.
If the 2 cyl. engines are still pretty smooth, then I'd still consider them.
How do they compare economy-wise in the real world?

Oh, and I really value a fuel gauge too, whether it be digital or analogue.
I can't find the power of the gsx650F or the SV??

22kpl for the ER

the parallel twin is quite a engine

AllanB
23rd December 2008, 18:32
i did 20,000 hard ks on my ER6n, smoked plenty of KBrs on sportsbikes around the loop, did 2 up riding, gravel roads, wheelies, stoppies, flat out speed runs, touring, riding pissed, etc....
i left it out in the rain, never cleaned it, and it took it well, the finish is good, its a true all rounder, looks different, has a nice lumpy engine, i loved mine, and i have had 35~ bikes and still have fond memories of this bike.

But does it make coffee and give you a three hour stiffy?

CM2005
23rd December 2008, 18:33
the parallel twin is quite a engine

go the ER6N

the ninja 650 as a fairing which is useful sometime, but definitely they are a cool bike mate.
i rode a GPZ500 from palmy to kaitaia on saturday/sunday, great engine, veryuseable power and good fun:2thumbsup

Little Miss Trouble
23rd December 2008, 19:06
But does it make coffee and give you a three hour stiffy?

No silly thats what a girlfriend is for:stupid:

Go the SV! but I would say that:love: I've only had mine since Saturday so haven't had a chance to see how she does on a long haul, heading up north tomorrow so I'll post up some more once I get back to civilization next week

stify
23rd December 2008, 19:33
does it give you a three hour stify?

i've heard the blue pill can help with that

Clivoris
23rd December 2008, 21:03
Get the Ducati Monster or Aprilia Shiver.

samgab
23rd December 2008, 21:21
Get the Ducati Monster or Aprilia Shiver.

Are those in my price range?
I like the smoothness of 4 cylinders... I don't know that a monster is quite what I'm after?

And I imagine parts/servicing for anything Italian or European is gonna be much more than a Suzuki or Kawasaki? I don't know, might be wrong.

The cheapest Ducati is the monster 696 for $16G, which is out of my price range... If I was going to spend $16G on a new bike I'd get a Hornet 600 or a GSX-R600 or a ZX-6R, I think.

samgab
23rd December 2008, 21:26
Go the SV! but I would say that:love: I've only had mine since Saturday so haven't had a chance to see how she does on a long haul, heading up north tomorrow so I'll post up some more once I get back to civilization next week

Will be interested to hear how you get on with a longer trip on the SV... Is yours the older curvy SV, or the newer more angular one? How are you liking it so far? Do you like the V-twin?

Clivoris
23rd December 2008, 21:34
I like the smoothness of 4 cylinders... I don't know that a monster is quite what I'm after?

And I imagine parts/servicing for anything Italian or European is gonna be much more than a Suzuki or Kawasaki? I don't know, might be wrong.

The cheapest Ducati is the monster 696 for $16G, which is out of my price range... If I was going to spend $16G on a new bike I'd get a Hornet 600 or a GSX-R600 or a ZX-6R, I think.

Sorry mate. I was being a touch provocative. Definitely stick within your budget and ride the ones that seem to suit your desires, but don't be shy to try something outside your expectations. If you are serious about naked mid range bikes, and have access to credit, You owe it to yourself to give the Street-triple a test-ride. People I respect rave about the bloody things. Good luck.

Little Miss Trouble
23rd December 2008, 21:40
Will be interested to hear how you get on with a longer trip on the SV... Is yours the older curvy SV, or the newer more angular one? How are you liking it so far? Do you like the V-twin?

Mines a K7 - the newer angular shaped fuel injected model, the pre 2003 curvy ones are carburated.
I've just come off of a Kawasaki GPX so I'm loving the instantly available power. Yep I definitely like the V-twins, looking forward to putting a non-standard pipe on mine in the new year to get more of a growl going:devil2:

I was looking at a monster 620, very nice bike but not what I need right this minute. 20,000km service quotes for that were between $600 & $1000+

Have you consided the Yamaha FZ6? It comes in both a faired (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/motor/index.htm?prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=439&modelcatid=17)and naked (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/index.asp?main.asp) version.

samgab
23rd December 2008, 21:43
Sorry mate. I was being a touch provocative. Definitely stick within your budget and ride the ones that seem to suit your desires, but don't be shy to try something outside your expectations. If you are serious about naked mid range bikes, and have access to credit, You owe it to yourself to give the Street-triple a test-ride. People I respect rave about the bloody things. Good luck.

lol. Well, there is just one more bike I'm considering, that I forgot to mention, as it's kind of a last resort, and that's the MV Augusta F4R 312...
So it's either that or one of the Suzukis or Kawasakis previously mentioned...

samgab
23rd December 2008, 21:50
Have you consided the Yamaha FZ6? It comes in both a faired (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/motor/index.htm?prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=439&modelcatid=17)and naked (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/index.asp?main.asp) version.

Thanks L, yeah, that is a very good suggestion, the FZ6. It's IL4, which I like; it's fuel injected, which I mentioned as a preference....

The only thing is that new those are going for 13 and a half naked or 14 with the half fairing... Again that puts it up in the slightly above what I wanted to spend bracket.

I think it will be worth a test ride though, because if they're really awesome, then it might be worth the extra 2 or 3 grand.

But if I look at it that way, then the Kwakka ZX-6R is only 15G, and that's only another thou... But then the GSX-R600 which I REALLY like is only another thou on top of that... And then the CBR600RR which I really REALLY like is only another thou on top of that...

Aargh! Have to draw the line somewhere!

zeocen
23rd December 2008, 21:56
I have a beautiful ER6F/Ninja 650R for sale, if you are keen to have a look at it you're more than welcome to, I'll go the extra mile for a fellow KB'er. Quite a few things done to it, but all done for comfort.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88716

I've talked up this bike far too much on KB that it's become a bit of a broken record so I will just link the initial reaction and 1000k reaction of the bike I've had the most fun on.. read down a few posts for the 1000km review: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72320&highlight=zeocen

James Deuce
23rd December 2008, 21:59
Mines a K7 - the newer angular shaped fuel injected model, the pre 2003 curvy ones are carburated.
I've just come off of a Kawasaki GPX so I'm loving the instantly available power. Yep I definitely like the V-twins, looking forward to putting a non-standard pipe on mine in the new year to get more of a growl going:devil2:

I was looking at a monster 620, very nice bike but not what I need right this minute. 20,000km service quotes for that were between $600 & $1000+

24,000km service quote for the FZ6 will be exactly the same as the 620. Your K7 will be similar when it hits its first major service, provided you don't need chain and sprockets or tyres at the same time.

The 26,000km service on the Zed cost $875. That wasn't tyres or chain or anything, it was mostly exhaust valve shims and the time spent checking and replacing them. There's little difference in cost between a V-Twin Ducati and an IL4 Japanese bike when it come to major services.

James Deuce
23rd December 2008, 22:00
I have a beautiful ER6F/Ninja 650R for sale, if you are keen to have a look at it you're more than welcome to, I'll go the extra mile for a fellow KB'er. Quite a few things done to it, but all done for comfort.

I've talked up this bike far too much on KB that it's become a bit of a broken record so I will just link the initial reaction and 1000k reaction of the bike I've had the most fun on.. read down a few posts for the 1000km review: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=72320&highlight=zeocen

Buy his. It's very nicely done.

samgab
23rd December 2008, 22:04
Hey, what happened to Flame's post about the MV Augusta 312? I hope I didn't delete it by accident?? I was just going to reply to it.
Was just gonna mention that I just might not be satisfied with the F4R 312 and might have to specially import the F4CC "Claudio Castiglioni", but what with all the hassle, I think I'll just get a Suzuki after all.

Little Miss Trouble
23rd December 2008, 22:08
24,000km service quote for the FZ6 will be exactly the same as the 620. Your K7 will be similar when it hits its first major service, provided you don't need chain and sprockets or tyres at the same time.

The 26,000km service on the Zed cost $875. That wasn't tyres or chain or anything, it was mostly exhaust valve shims and the time spent checking and replacing them. There's little difference in cost between a V-Twin Ducati and an IL4 Japanese bike when it come to major services.

I do realise this, I didn't go Jap over Italian because of servicing cost, there were a few other things about that particular bike that didn't add up, then my SV came up at the right price:clap:

samgab
23rd December 2008, 22:11

Hi, your bike looks pretty sweet. It's got shocks, pegs... No flag though. Anyway I don't think you want to wait 7 or 8 Months for me to buy it, so good luck with the sale. But interesting to read about it. The panniers would probably come in handy for commuting.

zeocen
23rd December 2008, 22:16
No worries mate, happy to help out a fellow KB'er as I've received so much help from KB myself. Good luck in your purchase! They're all great bikes really, depends on the character you like in each of them.

piston broke
23rd December 2008, 23:29
[QUOTE=Miss.L;1862386]No silly thats what a girlfriend is for

where do i find one of those:shit:

samgab
23rd December 2008, 23:53
where do i find one of those:shit:

You've got the internets, don't you?

chocobo_ff
24th December 2008, 08:02

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki GSX650F
Kawasaki ER-6N

I'm in a similar boat as you, although I'll start test riding sooner (full test in just over half a month's time) and have a few more bikes on my list... all I have to say is, buying new in 2009 is gonna suck compared to this year! :doh: for example the ER-6F has gone up over $2k in price (do like the styling a bit better though) :mad:

samgab
24th December 2008, 08:34
I'm in a similar boat as you, although I'll start test riding sooner (full test in just over half a month's time) and have a few more bikes on my list... all I have to say is, buying new in 2009 is gonna suck compared to this year! :doh: for example the ER-6F has gone up over $2k in price (do like the styling a bit better though) :mad:

Yeah, I was reading about the new ER-6F for 2009:
*Twin headlights, nicer style, as you say.
*Rubber engine mounts to reduce vibration
*New digital dash, now with digital fuel gauge :)
*Supposedly revised suspension/tweaked engine, although same power.
*Bigger radiator
*LED tail lights

and a few other minor bits and pieces.
The price increase puts it above what I was planning to spend, and into the territory of the Yamaha FZ6S...
Let us know how you get on with your test rides etc!

Matt
24th December 2008, 08:37
I didnt like the bar postion or the where the tank curves outward so that whenever I went to change gear it catches under your knee, but thats probably because Im 6'5".-Mike.

Wierd - I'm 6'5" too and that was one the reasons I went with the ER6n over the SV650! - although I did add the tall seat option to the ER6n which made it more comfortable.

I had the ER6 for 20k kms, and recently went to a Versys - more room, but same great ride & engine as the ER6n

Give 'em all a go and see which floats your boat!

chester
24th December 2008, 09:03
what about a three cylinder :blip:

chocobo_ff
24th December 2008, 09:12
But if I look at it that way, then the Kwakka ZX-6R is only 15G, and that's only another thou... But then the GSX-R600 which I REALLY like is only another thou on top of that... And then the CBR600RR which I really REALLY like is only another thou on top of that...

Aargh! Have to draw the line somewhere!

I like the way you think :rockon:

At the moment I'm seriously considering the FZ6, although obviously the final decision will have to wait until I can test ride them. BUT, if I really like the Monster 696 after I test ride it, I might go with that (that's a big might though).

samgab
24th December 2008, 09:16
I like the way you think :rockon:

At the moment I'm seriously considering the FZ6, although obviously the final decision will have to wait until I can test ride them. BUT, if I really like the Monster 696 after I test ride it, I might go with that (that's a big might though).

The FZ6 looks like a pretty good package, but you might also consider the GSR600 as well if you're considering that...

chocobo_ff
24th December 2008, 09:29
The FZ6 looks like a pretty good package, but you might also consider the GSR600 as well if you're considering that...

There's something about Suzuki's that I don't like... I'm not saying they are not good bikes (great bikes in fact), but it's a personal preference I guess :bleh: much like how people think Hondas are gay I suppose :msn-wink:

But good to know who's looking for a new bike next year, as most 'what to get' discussions seem to surround second hand, so this thread'll be a good one for me to keep an eye on when I finally get my license :niceone:

samgab
24th December 2008, 09:32
http://tinyurl.com/8t2bfv

I know, I know, I'm such a nerd.
And I also know that what is seen on paper is nothing like the real story in terms of rideability.

Any additions to this chart, let me know the specs :sherlock:

The Stranger
24th December 2008, 13:18

And I also know that what is seen on paper is nothing like the real story in terms of rideability.

Any additions to this chart, let me know the specs :sherlock:

I am sure you already realise, however it does miss the most important issue - handling.

twistemotion
30th December 2008, 20:23

Thanks, that is quite helpful info. The world needs nerds too :niceone:

samgab
30th December 2008, 20:27
Thanks, that is quite helpful info. The world needs nerds too :niceone:

Pre-test riding, I've pretty much decided that I like the GSX650F best out of the sub-12G new bikes.
It's 4 cylinder, and from what I read it seems like a pretty good all rounder.
It is a bit heavier than some of the others, but I like it the best overall.
Now I just have to wait and save for 6 months, get my full licence; then I can go out and try a few test rides.

roy.nz
30th December 2008, 22:31
Go the SV650...

Jekkyl
1st January 2009, 19:18
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=88737

Looked at pretty much the same bikes and picked the SV, I love Vtwins thou so made my choice easy. Loving the bike so far!

2Cycle
1st January 2009, 20:42
I was in a similar position. As i recently went from an rg150 to a new SV650s. I liked how when I test rode it, it felt similar to the rg but way better. I felt comfortable straight away. I wanted a faired bike and the ER6f just seemed too much like a naked bike with it's upright seating and no clipons I still think the ERs are cool bikes though. For me the new GSXf is just too heavy for commuting. I wouldn't concern myself with power output figures as all the bikes you are looking at will seem like warp9 compared to the fxr.

I use mine mostly for commuting. I have also been on some long trips and I start feeling like I need a rest stop at around 250Ks depending on how straight the road is (the straighter the road the lower the comfort level). I get about 24Km/l and get over 300Km between fuel stops.

shafty
1st January 2009, 21:20
Good thread Sam, - I like your chart too, - thats the sort of thing I'd do. I've bought a demonstrator in the past and saved some $1000's, and picked up extras with the deal, something to consider with todays engineering. Also, haggle hard Mate, they will want every sale at the mo - and even later in the piece

Usarka
1st January 2009, 21:43
i've a mate who downgraded from a busa to a sv650 and absomuthafookinshitballlicking loved it.

samgab
2nd January 2009, 02:13
I was in a similar position. As i recently went from an rg150 to a new SV650s. I liked how when I test rode it, it felt similar to the rg but way better. I felt comfortable straight away. I wanted a faired bike and the ER6f just seemed too much like a naked bike with it's upright seating and no clipons I still think the ERs are cool bikes though. For me the new GSXf is just too heavy for commuting. I wouldn't concern myself with power output figures as all the bikes you are looking at will seem like warp9 compared to the fxr.

I use mine mostly for commuting. I have also been on some long trips and I start feeling like I need a rest stop at around 250Ks depending on how straight the road is (the straighter the road the lower the comfort level). I get about 24Km/l and get over 300Km between fuel stops.

Three posts showin' love for the SV in a row! That's very interesting...
Another other interesting thing about the SV is that with Suzuki fest at the moment, Suzuki is throwing in a full fairing, rather than jus the usual slip fairing.

Correction edit: On the global Suzuki website they show the <B>Bandit 650</B> has been updated this year with new headlights and I'm not sure what else different.

I like the idea of fuel economy, and I guess being lighter will help with that, as well as being more manoeverable too... I'll put the SV back on my test ride short list.
I actually had in mind a 400cc bike as a better step up from a 150cc, but there are no good 400cc road bikes anymore :(
gone are the days of the CBR400RR Fireblade, the VFR400, and the GSX-R400, and even the Impulse GSX400...
Maybe I should get an older, smaller bike like a CBR400RR as an interim step before the new 650cc?? I do like the idea of buying new; having a 24 month warranty, not having to worry about whether it's been maintained or broken in properly, etc...
Someone's selling a sick 1998 CBR400RR on trademe ATM for only about 4500. And even though they're old, I still reckon they look cool. Or hot. Whatever.

samgab
2nd January 2009, 03:50
Good thread Sam, - I like your chart too, - thats the sort of thing I'd do. I've bought a demonstrator in the past and saved some $1000's, and picked up extras with the deal, something to consider with todays engineering. Also, haggle hard Mate, they will want every sale at the mo - and even later in the piece

That's a pretty good idea, an ex demo if one comes up at the right time. It's a pity I can't go out and get one ATM, cos they have interest free loans on the GSX650F. Maybe there will be another deal going closer to the time. Maybe the SV will be cheaper still when the new Gladius comes out...
and from what I hear, the Gladius is heavier than the SV... Although it looks nicer, IMHO.