PDA

View Full Version : Where are YOU riding these holidays?

babysteps
24th December 2008, 08:38
Hey Team

This is your opportunity to brag and make all of us jealous with you plans for your rides over the holidays.

This noob is leaving for Wanaka on Boxing day via the McKenzie, Haka and Danseys passes and, depending on the confidence level, Thompson George road. :rockon:

Where are you going??????

Jantar
24th December 2008, 08:45
That is a great ride you've got planned. Thompson's is in good order at the moment, but there are 14 gates to opened and closed again. Are you riding alone, or do you have someone to assist with the gates?

I'll be at work boxing day onwards, otherwise I'd join you for that section.

babysteps
24th December 2008, 08:51
Thanks Jantar!

I'll be going solo and overnighting in the thriving Metropolis of Kurow on Boxing day, doing Danseys and Thompsons to Wanaka on the 27th

This is my first big ride so I'm kinda apprehensive about the trip but I'm sure I'll be sweet.

CrazyFrog
24th December 2008, 09:13
Dusty Butt 1000km, and anywhere else in the top of the South that takes my fancy in between working 25-31 Dec, and then my week off at New Years.
Will be sticking to gravel routes mostly = less loopies in cars out to spoil my fun.

FJRider
24th December 2008, 09:14
Thanks Jantar!

I'll be going solo and overnighting in the thriving Metropolis of Kurow on Boxing day, doing Danseys and Thompsons to Wanaka on the 27th

This is my first big ride so I'm kinda apprehensive about the trip but I'm sure I'll be sweet.

There's plenty of good gravel rides in the Wanaka area... up to all the ski-fields for example, and Arrowtown-Macetown is worth a look. Take care and be prepared for some rough stuff and you will be fine. Stick to the tracks or DOC will be all over your ass. The road to Macetown IS a legal road, so vehicles using it must be legal. Cops DO regularly check vehicles...

I myself will stick to the seal, the Haast, Lindis passes...and the Pig Root my be visited. along with a few lesser known backroads in Central... and maybe Southland...

SixPackBack
24th December 2008, 10:38
.............The missus..........:love:

Transalper
24th December 2008, 11:16
That's WHERE are you riding, not who or what...:blank:

FJRider
24th December 2008, 11:28
.............The missus..........:love:

no choke this time... knobblys optional...

ducatijim
24th December 2008, 11:29
Me & 2 M8s leave Taupo sunday 28 for a few days in north 1/2 of the other island. Will cover a lot of the DB1K route, in our own time, and much else as well. Just a good,laxed out trip, with great travel companions and my trusty,rusty,dusty DR !
Back on the main island on the 5th day of the new year! NYE in Hoki by jove!

Wots the KB Adv'ers secret, on the road, wave?

I'll look out for ya....thou.....I have absolutly no idea wot the fuck yoall looks like.

Do have a Mary Xmas and some happiness in the new year, yoall hear me?

firefighter
24th December 2008, 11:31
to and from work......jealous much? :wari:

FJRider
24th December 2008, 11:37

use both hands... :innocent:

SixPackBack
24th December 2008, 12:02
no choke this time... knobblys optional...

Yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation) of course!...............knobblys?.....the smell of burning rubber puts me off:gob:

Me & 2 M8s leave Taupo sunday 28 for a few days in north 1/2 of the other island. Will cover a lot of the DB1K route, in our own time, and much else as well. Just a good,laxed out trip, with great travel companions and my trusty,rusty,dusty DR !

I'll look out for ya....thou.....I have absolutly no idea wot the fuck yoall looks like.

Fook me...sounds like broke back mountain!

JATZ
24th December 2008, 16:46

Aiming to spend as much time as posible touring round the top of the south, on gravel

If you see a DR big followed by a dusty Tenere, thats us (me and mrs Jatz)

OV Lander
24th December 2008, 20:56
Welly - Hamilton - Auckland - Bay of Islands (a week exploring the gravel and beaches of the Far North) - Bay of Plenty - East Cape - Gisb/Napier - Gentle Annie - back blocks of the Rangitieki - Welly - Office :(

MXNUT
25th December 2008, 08:19
Suzi GIRL and i will be spending a couple of weeks on the Coromandel penninsula boating and biking, so we will be checking out every gravel road and forestry track we can find. :sunny::sunny::sunny:

cooneyr
25th December 2008, 16:49
Dusty Butt 1000km, and anywhere else in the top of the South that takes my fancy in between working 25-31 Dec, and then my week off at New Years.
Will be sticking to gravel routes mostly = less loopies in cars out to spoil my fun.

+1 then back to Chch via the Rainbow with wifey and gear on the 5th (I'm allowed 1 day of rest before I get a sore arse again).

...Wots the KB Adv'ers secret, on the road, wave?

I'll look out for ya....thou.....I have absolutly no idea wot the fuck yoall looks like....

A full left arm wave. Usually give other adventures a good wave. Alternatively just look out for a blue Super Ten (twin head lights). Good chance it will either be bro or I as not many S10's about.

Cheers R

gunrunner
25th December 2008, 16:55
Mrs Santas sister .;)

Transalper
25th December 2008, 18:05
Mrs Santas sister .;)
Oh look another one who didn't read the question correctly or can't tell his wheres from his whats. Also noted is that judging by the bikes listed in their profiles both the confused ones are black top riders. I wonder if that's a trend showing up.:rolleyes:

roy.nz
25th December 2008, 18:14
Drove down to new plymoth today for a week to spend with the parents. Wish i was on the bike instead of the cage, would of been more fun.
EWveryone have a great christmas

Transalper
25th December 2008, 23:08
Well, looks like I'm heading west in the morning then south toward and eventually through Haast, Wanaka give or take and I expect to go back up past Tekapo on the way home in time to prep the bike for the Dusty Butt run in Nelson then back down to Chch in time for work on the 5th

CRM
27th December 2008, 22:31
Heading off around 1st Jan for a ride up the East Coast from Whangarei to the cape, down the west coast as far as Dargaville then back to Whangarei, doing as much beach, gravel, non-roads and coastal roads as possible over about 4 days. Will try to track the route and post some pics. Just me on the XR6 and son Matt on his XL250Degree - should be a great adventure :soon:

Also off to 'The Farm' tomorrow for a bit of off-roading with Matt and some of his mates - always a great time out there. It's his 21st so we'll be out there all afternoon and evening.

Have a great time everyone...

_Shrek_
29th December 2008, 10:07
pootle sth with Mrs Shrek via the 3 gorges over the black forest to Otematata then find another way home on the 2nd

portokiwi
29th December 2008, 10:13
:doh:to work and back

Shadowjack
29th December 2008, 11:39
Boxing Day trip: Timaru - McKenzie Pass - Haka Pass/Valley - Dansey's Pass pub for lunch (they didn't stint on the ham in the ham/cheese/tomato toasted sandwich) - back to Timaru. Cuppa (plus ham sandwich - it is Xmas, after all) with the folks and back home to Chch. Stunningly fine weather; suitably bug-splattered in bike and body. Spent yesterday fishing the Clarence (by 4WD, sorry) and saw half a dozen or so dusty bikes heading to/in Hanmer Springs. I can see a collapsible spinning rod, the TDM and the Harper end of Coleridge in the very near future, possibly Lake Taylor, and into Erewhon. Summer breaks, dusty roads and mountain views, gotta love 'em. And now, the lawns....

Kwaka14
29th December 2008, 11:43
I'm not riding :( but off to france on the 3rd Snowboarding :) does that count?