PDA

View Full Version : Restricted License

BNZ
15th February 2005, 10:18
Finally got off my ass and booked my long overdue restricted license.

Who out there has done this in recent times? Anything I need to know? Any bad habits I should try and shake in the next week?

crashe
15th February 2005, 10:28
Just obey all the road rules.. stick to the correct speed.
Indicate when you have to turn, and rememeber to turn it off afterwards.
Don't even run an orange light, when it turns orange stop safely.
They can even fail you for going throu an orange light.

And go where ever they tell you to go.....

Good luck...... and the paper work.... just take your time....

Heck I am not sure which you do with each these days... whether you go out on the road for a restricted... but if ya do.... just do what I said above.

jrandom
15th February 2005, 10:28
Just stick religiously to the speed limit, give way and indicate correctly, and you'll be fine. The test only takes 10 minutes or so.

dveus
15th February 2005, 10:30
We'll from my experience, you don't have enough time to fall into any bad habits. The whole test only lasted about 10 minutes, in talking to the testing guy afterwards he said the main thing he had wanted to check with me was that i wasn't wobbling all over the road, as having my cage licence was evidence enough I knew the road rules. So as long as you don't speed, or do anything stupid you should be just fine.

Hope this helps
Mat.

crashe
15th February 2005, 10:35
oh and one other thing.....

Make sure that your bike has a current WOF and is registered
and if your tail light aint working ..... you fail... bizzarre but dem the rules.

Its happened when ppl go for their license in a car and the car High-brake lights are not working. They can get real picky.

Jonty
15th February 2005, 11:47
And stick your L plate back on :doh:

bear
15th February 2005, 14:56
Yeah mate, make sure your bike is in good order, and keep an eye on the speed (I think they allow a tolerance of up to +5kmh on the speed limit)

BNZ
15th February 2005, 15:38
And stick your L plate back on :doh:

Hahaha yeah, i went and bought one yesterday :tugger: Might have to set the shift light to 8k rpm :cool:

Monsterbishi
15th February 2005, 18:49
My Restricted test took all of 5-10 minutes, literally round two blocks and that was it.

Stick to the speed limit, the REAL speed limit, ie don't go over at all.

El Dopa
15th February 2005, 18:50
What they all said.

I got told off for going too slowly on mine (45-50k), but that was mostly cos every time I sped up, the instructor dropped back, so I would slow down to let him catch up.

You might get asked to demonstrate that all your lights/indicators work (I did).

A mate reckons that if they don't ask you to demonstrate the lights, it might be worth asking them if they want you to demonstrate they work. Avoids you getting failed by a complete c***, if you're unlucky enough to get one. Might also gain you some brownie points.

Apart from that, it's a piece of piss, so don't worry about it.

StoneChucker
15th February 2005, 19:04
As they all have already said, and yes it is a piece of piss. One thing that alot of people don't practice is u-turns, or full lock u-turns. I was asked to do 2 u-turns, no problem just was extra wary of not stuffing it up since I'd hardly ever done 'em. Infact, I should probably practice some now as I STILL don't do them often/ever...

Oh, and don't think your rolling stoppie will impress the instructor, they tend to frown upon that sort of carry on :wari:

*EDIT* GOOD LUCK mate, let us know how it goes (your silence may be incriminating!)

Monsterbishi
15th February 2005, 19:10
My Restricted test took all of 5-10 minutes, literally round two blocks and that was it.
Stick to the speed limit, the REAL speed limit, ie don't go over at all.

heehee quoteing my own post :-)

Here's my test route down here in ChCh, hope the attachment works!

Edit: The Red X Marks the Start/Finish.

campbellluke
15th February 2005, 19:28
Shake his Hand. Doing this is very important. You will know within seconds, if he is in a good mood or not.

Make sure you are solid with hill starts.
BRING your L plate
Impress them with your protective gear.
Totally STOP on stop signs.
Don't cut corners.
Don't go over the limit, but maintain pace.
Know your street names,
For giveway railways, actually LOOK. Even though it is obvious that there is no train coming. Otherwise you will get docked a point.
Look at your mirrors often, make sure you do not lose him. Hopefully he will make good effort to keep up with you.

Thats all I can really think of that might be helpful, but otherwise. Do not panic , and all the best

I passed mine in October, which I guess is recent. My test was just under 30 minutes :confused:

BNZ
15th February 2005, 19:39
Oh, and don't think your rolling stoppie will impress the instructor, they tend to frown upon that sort of carry on :wari:

Hahaha, luckily the rear tyre has no signs of burnouts!

Syphon_Life
17th February 2005, 07:20
put both feet on the ground when you stop!

hey your shift light looks sexy btw!!

cant wait to get mine!

BNZ
17th February 2005, 07:36
put both feet on the ground when you stop!

hey your shift light looks sexy btw!!

cant wait to get mine!

Yeah its fucken cool! :cool: Hope Tony starts to make some coin out of them, he deserves it!